ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

cursor corruption on fm2a78 and 88 boards

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timsoft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cursor corruption on fm2a78 and 88 boards
    Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 4:51pm
I have been getting cursor corruption with the fm2a78m-hd+,fm2a88m-hd+,fm2a88m-hd+ extreme4 and fm2a88m-hd+ R2 motherboards and A4 6300 and A4 7300 APU's. This typically shows up after several days of continuous running. The mouse pointer becomes a rectangular pattern of dots. On a dual screen setup it was happening on the primary screen. the screen resolutions used are 1680x1050 or 1920x1080 and all are connected by vga, running with the most recent bios, windows 7 64bit, 4GB or higher kingston pc1600 sdram, and either the latest ati graphics driver, or the motherboard driver disk version.
After corruption occurs, the machine will not correctly soft-reboot. the graphics fails to re-initialise, so the screen remains black on reboot. A cold reboot is required to restore normal functionality
I have had this issue on (all) 85 asrock boards I have supplied my customers over the past 4 years.
Any suggestions for fixing this issue would be appreciated.
typical software running on the machines is windows7 64bit, asrock drivers, tightvnc, firefox, thunderbird, libreoffice, sunbird, putty. None of the machines are overclocked or used for gaming, and the problem typically only appears after more than 24hours of continuous running.
In all cases, the PSU's used are 650W rated or higher, and is protected by an APC UPS.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 6:38pm
Is the problem is absent on another brand/model? Given the spectrum of boards used it sounds more like an APU/Driver quirk. Some time back AMD graphics drivers, I think it was in the 13.XX drivers, caused cursor corruption on some systems but I was never personally affected on my AMD systems.

Are there any warnings in event manager after this happens? The driver ceasing to respond and recovering can cause corruption on the screen/cursor, this behavior is called a TDR error (Timeout Detection and Recovery) and can be caused by a wide variety of issues, an unstable GPU, drivers (most common) or even bad power. 24 hours of up time is a little outside the "typical usage" an APU is designed for. I know many people do not shut down their PCs at all, myself included so it isn't really an excuse but could be at the heart of the problem. 

If the systems are set up to enter sleep mode during down time does the corruption still occur? If not this could prove a quick and easy workaround. 

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic