ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD and Intel Graphics Card
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

RX580 Phantom Gaming 8GB D OC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote echo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RX580 Phantom Gaming 8GB D OC
    Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 2:15am
Just a question in regards of the max. Watt for the RX580 Phantom Gaming 8GB D OC.
Does anybody know?

And one further question to the add. power connector. The "Phantom D" has only a 6 pin. All other RX580 incl the reference design as well as the RX580 from the competitors have 8 pin. The question would by why?

I measured the max. power consumption for my graphics card via GPU-Z. The Peak was at 225W!
If i consider the 75W form the PCI-E, the 6 pin must deliver 150W, however it is only specified for 75W.
Am i killing my 6 pin lanes? I would assume the 8 pin connector would be the suitable one because it can deliver the 150 additional Watts. 

Is it a design issue?
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 11:13am

Dear Uncletim,

Thank you for posting your query to ASRock forum.

RX580 Phantom Gaming 8GB D OC max. Watt is 250W.

We suggest you installing over 500W Power supply of the system.

The power supply is preferably a certified gold or silver power supply

Don't worry, you can use RX580 on the system with confidence.

Thanks!

Kindest regards,

ASRock TSD

echo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote echo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 6:27pm
Good day!

Power supply is not an issue (650W single rail / gold certified)
However, there are still questions where i am lost a little bit.

If i consider the specified standard layout of the 6-pin connector:
Pin 1: +12V
Pin 2: not connected or +12V
Pin 3: +12V
Pin 4: GND
Pin 5: Sense
Pin 6: GND

This means that only two lines are supplying the full power.  Or are you using the Pin 2 for additional power and Pin 5 as a full GND contact?

As from specification point of view, the 6-pin is only specified for max. 75W. Where do you get the remaining 100 Watt = 250W-75 W (PCI-E) - 75W (6-pin connector (6,25A in total x 12V)).
To summarize, in any case the specification is violated. Am i right?
There must be a reason that even the reference layout of AMD uses a 8-Pin connector (specified for 150W)?!?

What does it mean for the lifetime of such a graphics card and the rest of the components like the motherboard?

GPU-Z during Futuremark testing at standard settings confirms that we are somewhow nearby the max . Watt of 250W for this RX580 with the measured 225W.

Sorry that i am asking that much details, but as an electrical engineer if have now some doubts if i bought the "right" graphics card and if the card itself and the other components will survive over time.

Best regards,
echo

PetrolHead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 12:14am
Using the six pin connector may strictly speaking be outside the standard specification, but in reality the six pin should be able to provide anything between 192 W to 288 W, depending on what the terminals and wires are actually rated for (standard, HCS or Plus HCS) (see for example: https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/power-supply-specifications-atx-reference,review-32338-12.html). So, it's not quite as bad as you might think - at least as long as the extra juice is drawn from the power cable from the PSU and not the PCI-E slot.
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
echo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote echo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 1:14am
I hope that it is drawn from the PSU. However, the spec is not only violated a little bit. And i don't understand why the Phantom Gaming X has the 8-pin connector, but not the "D" version which is nearly equal if you have a look to the datasheet.
AMD Ryzen 5 2600, TR ARO-M14, 2x8GB Patriot Viper 3200, ASRock Phantom Gaming RX580 D OC 8GB, MSI Tomahawk B450, Xilence Performance X 650W Gold, 500GB Samsung 970 Evo M.2, 4TB Seagate IronWolf SATA
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2018 at 5:37am
The D version seems to be physically smaller, which means it has a smaller cooler and thus poorer heat dissipation. This can mean that due to thermal limits the card will actually draw less power than the Gaming X model under full load, as it will likely throttle clock speeds more easily. This is just speculation, though, as I've no experience with either GPU. In any case it doesn't seem like putting a 6-pin connector to the D version was the greatest idea ever, but I doubt you'll run into any actual issues with it. I would avoid overclocking the GPU, though.
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
echo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote echo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2018 at 10:37am
I hope that i can run my graphics card also in OC mode, as advertized. Otherwise i would have choosen another card e.g. the X Version. Still struggling... ... ...

Any further feedback from ASRock R&D?
AMD Ryzen 5 2600, TR ARO-M14, 2x8GB Patriot Viper 3200, ASRock Phantom Gaming RX580 D OC 8GB, MSI Tomahawk B450, Xilence Performance X 650W Gold, 500GB Samsung 970 Evo M.2, 4TB Seagate IronWolf SATA
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2018 at 12:26pm
Dear Echo,
Thank you for your reply.

We tested the RX580 8G D OC's 6in connector can support the maximum watt up to 250W.
However, GPU-Z tool only measured the GPU's watt not including the VRAM.

For O.C. mode, it depends on whole system configuration.
please check your chassis thermal flow and adjust graphics card fan to full speed.

Thanks!
Kindest regards,
ASRock TSD

Edited by ASRock_TSD - 22 Oct 2018 at 12:26pm
echo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote echo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 3:49am
As i already said, PSU is not an issue, as well as the cooling. I hope that your engineers know what they are doing.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2018 at 5:14am
The few factory OC modes I've come across have been so mild that they were not worth switching on. Then again, this also made them totally harmless. In my previous comment I was referring to manual overclocking, which could theoretically take you to trouble-ville (depending on what the card itself allows). In any case, my guesstimation is that the cooler somewhat limits the performance (and thus the power draw) of the card, which means that the OC mode may not net you a performance advantage in anything else than short benchmark runs. Do some testing in "normal" mode and see where the frequencies land over several benchmark runs, if you can. Also, you can check what GPU-Z states for the performance cap reason (under the "Sensors" tab), if you're running windowed benchmarks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic