ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Media&User's Review > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

FM2A88X Extreme6+ PCIe System boot

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by OvCa77 OvCa77 wrote:

Hello, I've contacted Asrock Support and they gave me NVMe bios for Extreme6+. Thank you for advising me. Link to updatehttps://1drv.ms/u/s!Aj5teyURhjZxg-4uvDaAklJPIWq3Fw

Great, ASRock will usually accommodate requests like this.

Are you familiar with installing an OS on an NVMe SSD? It's not done the same way as SATA drives.

What OS or version of Windows will you be using?
OvCa77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OvCa77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 11:46pm
I know that Windows 7 requires drivers on install, Windows 10 is normal install, is that true?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by OvCa77 OvCa77 wrote:

I know that Windows 7 requires drivers on install, Windows 10 is normal install, is that true?

Windows 10 has an inbox NVMe driver, so no need to install an NVMe driver during the installation.

But the Windows installation is not quite the same as using a SATA SSD. You must select the Win 10 installation media in the boot order with the prefix, "UEFI:".

For example, if you are using a USB flash drive, the entry in the boot order will be, "UEFI: <flash drive name>", where <flash drive name> is whatever the flash drive you are using.
Schland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 9:23pm
Hi All,

I updated to the named BIOS but do not get to see the NVMe SSD in the UEFI BIOS. Can anyone post screenshots of their UEFI settings and show me where the SSD has to show up?

Thank you!
Schland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by Schland Schland wrote:

Hi All,

I updated to the named BIOS but do not get to see the NVMe SSD in the UEFI BIOS. Can anyone post screenshots of their UEFI settings and show me where the SSD has to show up?

Thank you!

So far I have been able to use the NVMe SSD as a secondary drive, if I boot up from the original SATA SSD with Win10.
Schland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 9:32pm
Maybe it would also be helpful to know if this BIOS does really work, at all.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 11:00am
Originally posted by Schland Schland wrote:

Maybe it would also be helpful to know if this BIOS does really work, at all.

Reality check time.

Your A88X chipset was designed by AMD before the new NVMe protocol existed. That ASRock was even able to get NVMe support to work with it at all is quite an accomplishment. I guess you have not read all of the posts in this thread.

The only thing the Beta UEFI/BIOS includes for NVMe support is the NVMe Option ROM so an NVMe SSD can be used as a boot/OS device. No new screens or new UEFI display options were added, or can be added, for SSDs in adapter boards used in PCIe slots. I don't know what you expected to find in this special UEFI version, or why.

NVMe is unrelated to SATA and uses its own storage controller and NVMe driver. Your unknown NVMe SSD is in an M.2 to PCIe slot adapter card, connected to the PCIe lanes in the CPU. The SATA drives are connected to the A88X chipset, and that is where the UEFI/BIOS gets its information for the Storage Configuration screen. Your board was not designed to read the PCIe lanes to check for storage devices, and include them in the Storage Configuration screen.

In the UEFI/BIOS, if you check the Tools screen, System Browser feature, and move the mouse pointer over the PCIe slot with the M.2 adapter card in it, you should see the  text "Mass Storage Device" for your NVMe SSD.

Only the latest Intel 100 and 200 series chipset boards, and the new Ryzen chipset boards, are capable of including listings of NVMe SSDs in the UEFI/BIOS Storage Configuration screen, since they were designed after NVMe SSD were available. All earlier boards that have had as much NVMe support as possible added, only show NVMe devices in the System Browser screen. Intel X99 boards may have an NVMe Configuration screen in their latest UEFI updates, that simply list NVMe SSDs, because that feature was able to be added.

Have you tried to install Windows 10 on your NVMe SSD yet? It's a bit different than installing Windows on a SATA drive.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic