ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What brand makes best motherboards for Ryzen CPUs?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

What brand makes best motherboards for Ryzen CPUs?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What brand makes best motherboards for Ryzen CPUs?
    Posted: 22 Oct 2018 at 2:29am
Take it from me - stay away from ASRock!!!

For gaming, productivity or workstation, where features, quality and support are needed - there is ASUS.

I've decided to buy ASrock only once, but that will be the last time! Their abysmal BIOS 'support' can and will render your whole setup unusable. No matter if we talk top tier X399 or X370/X470, all is pure garbage.

I've been dwelling in these forums for more than a year now, and all I can tell you is you stay away from these guys.
nanohead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nanohead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 2:19am
I've owned Asus, Gigabyte, Biostar, Asrock, MSI, Intel, EVGA, ECS, MSI.  I've also owned from these companies with are either defunct or no longer making PC mobos: Soyo, Epox, DFI, AOpen, Sapphire (they made a white Crossfire Mobo!), Supermicro, Tyan, Chaintech, and probably a few others I can't remember.   Other than Epox having capacitors that exploded, and Soyo having non standard voltages and connectors, they all worked pretty well most of the time. 

As you point out, if you look at other forums for other brands, you'll see the same exact complaints you may see here.  People go ballistic if some random BIOS feature that .001% of the users care about doesn't work the way they think its supposed to.   

They all have good days and bad days.  People complain constantly about all sorts of things that have zero to do with the motherboard all the time.  They blame all sorts of problems on motherboards and motherboard vendors.

Currently have Asrock, Gigabyte, Biostar and just changed an Asus for an Asrock (Taichi).  They all work fine.

Asrock actually does a fine job, I have no complaints in both my daily driver (AB350 Gaming ITX) and my gamer (now a Taichi 370).  They all work fine.   The AB350 I bought because of its size and micro center was out of other brands, the Taichi was a good deal and had a solid enthusiast following.  So far they are both fine with zero real problems.

It was a bit bumpy when the Raven Ridge APUs shipped, which I use in the AB350, but Asrock fixed the BIOS as quickly as they could, and every other mobo company had the exact same problems, as many were AMD firmware (AGESA) or driver problems, which are now resolved.

virpz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote virpz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 12:14am
They guy above is living a dream as AsRock bios support could not even reply to the support ticket opened on august, let alone fixing things that are not AMD's fault. Unfortunately there are still many serious problems with their flagship boards that haven't been solved after so many complaints. 

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=9371&PID=55486&title=psa-stay-away-from-480-bios-x370-taichi#55486

As one can clearly notice bugs are still present and AsRock not even trying properly test their bios before launch.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/27482046-post3766.html

Edited by virpz - 25 Oct 2018 at 12:17am
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 1:33am
I'm afraid virpz here is right. Maybe for that guy, nanohead, booting the PC means all is OK, but I'm not putting tons of money for a given platform, just to watch the stillborn attempts of some UEFI developers...

I'm talking from the standpoint of a professional here. I actually expected some more decency from ASRock, but at the end maybe it's me to be blamed. After all, it was I who broke the #1 rule to never ever adopt an unknown vendor for critical projects. Yeah, I guess I gave in to marketing tricks this time.

Well, lessons learned - I dumped that garbage and got me another ASUS. Few hundred $$$ in the drain but at least all the horror is now a distant memory. All I'm trying to do here is to prevent others from doing the same mistake I did.
nanohead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nanohead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 5:18am
Well, that guy, nanohead (me), games heavily on a Taichi with BIOS 4.80, and I have had ZERO stability problems... ZERO.  I'm overclocked on CPU and DRAM is running tight at DDR4 3000.   Even the virtualization "bug" is inconsistently blamed on the BIOS.

The AB350 ITX has had its share of problems, but they were ONLY after I switched to Raven Ridge (Ryzen 5 2400G).   When I was using the Ryzen 5 1600X it was stable for almost a year.   The stability problems had everything to do with AMD and their drivers and board level firmware (AGESA), which is now somewhat resolved, but not entirely.    There are still Ryzen 2400G problems specifically, not just on Asrock, but on everyones boards.  

I also have a Gigabyte AM4 board, and that one has been a tiny flaky, but in general it is stable.  Biostar as well, which runs fine (my original choice in M ITX)

Not trying to defend Asrock at all.   Just saying that they all have good and bad points.  And FWIW, Asrock is the 3rd largest mobo manufacturer in the world.    I agree that their BIOS updates aren't exactly as swift as they could be, but the other Mobos I have aren't much better, if not better at all.
gizmic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gizmic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 1:48pm
@nanohead no Abit love? 

and i totally agree with nanohead there is no perfect brand all brands have problems just quickly visit any forum should be full of problems.

i stream almost everyday full stable but i havent gone into my usual Oc to the limit thing because this 2700X is the first top tier cpu i've gotten. I was always about getting the cheaper one and oc to speeds that are faster than the top tier (athlon xp-m 2500+, 1055T) but somehow i've lacked the motivation on pushing the cpu

nanohead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nanohead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 9:03pm
HAH!!   Forgot about Abit!!!   I had an Abit AN8 socket 939 nForce4 SLI mobo!!!, back when SLI was just in the early stages!!   They ran well, until they melted!   This was back before AMD bought ATI and Nvidia and AMD were GPU/CPU friends in the market!

I remember doing "pencil" (graphite) voltage mods on the old Nvidia card so we could overvolt and overclock them!!! 
virpz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote virpz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 10:00pm
My talking is not subjective, I owned the X370 Gaming K7, Asus X370 Prime Pro, Asus Crosshair VI Hero and the X370 Taichi. While the Taichi had a great bios compared to everybody else at the launch of Ryzens, their bios support is lacking for a long time as every other brand is actually fixing issues, AsRock on the other hand is creating new issues with every bios release. 

As a overclocker having a broken CLOCKGEN for more than 6 months is more than enough reason to be mad at AsRock. I paid for features that I can't make use of because AsRock bios team doesn't care or is plain incompetent.

Unfortunately, the list of issues with the Taichi is pretty big:

So, the updated list for their latest official non beta bios release.

The list of performance issues for the Taichi/Pro Gaming bios 4.80 is as bellow:

1. Overclocking resulting in huge Cache/memory bandwidth loss. Active on every official bios since the introdfuction of 12 nm CPUs. Seem fixed on their lastest BETA

2. Clock generator/bclk not properly working. Confirmed by several OCN members that it is broken for 12 nm CPUs on every bios, including L4.81. 

3. Bring PBO settings back to the bios ( PPT, EDC, PTC, scalar ).  Missing options from 4.60 and up, said AMD has removed these settings for agesa 1.0.0.4. Pending confirmation.

4. Memory "powerloss" ?/Not clocking timing decently at all.  Active since the introduction of P4.81.

Other issues:

xhue
  1. IOMMU groupings - those are terribly broken and renders this otherwise excellent VM platform barely usable

2. Kernel DMA protection in Win 10 cannot be enabled, un-allowed DMA-capable bus detected - can something be done here?

3. - Spectre patches? Hello?

4. SAVE PROFILE
    You don't have a functional way to "Save Profiles" because ASRock bios team decided everything under "Advanced" is useless and not worth their precious time - Overclocking board that can't save overclocking settings like "Core Performance Boost", "Global C-States", all you memory timings/configs and so on... Oh, all your freaking Memory timings that took you 5 minutes to write down because you typed in HEX numbers  guess what happens if your memory overclock fails ??? Yes, you will need to type those nice HEX numbers again since you can't save profiles and this board is more than a year old !! Hurts 1st and 2nd gen CPU's

5. 1-AMD CBS Memory Timings
    Here you have the most lazy work on the adjustments for "Memory Timings" under "AMD CBS". You can't enter values and so you select from a drop-down list...There you have HEX numbers and If your overclock fails, you will net to re-enter everything again as you can't save these settings.
    Bios - Since forever... We are living with these since the introduction of this section... Board is more than a year old. Hurts 1st and 2nd gen CPU's.

Edited by virpz - 25 Oct 2018 at 10:02pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic