Forum Description: ASRock AMD Motherboards
URL: https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1017
Printed Date: 26 Apr 2024 at 9:36pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: My AMD-Asrock Rig
Posted By: najiro
Subject: My AMD-Asrock Rig
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 2:09am
This happens to be my first desktop PC build ever and yes I built it with an Asrock motherboard, an Asrock 880GM-LE. There were other alternatives during my purchase but this board just seems to offer the best set of features at that moment for the following reasons:

• This offered more SATA ports
  • Supported 1600Mhz DDR3 which was a higher-end feature at that time
  • Has PCI slots

Final build includes the following hardware:

• Motherboard: http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/880GM-LE/" rel="nofollow - Asrock 880GM-LE (AM3+)
  • Processor: AMD Athlon II 4X 640
  • Graphics: Sapphire HD 6770
  • Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz
  • PSU: FSP Supersonic 550W
  • Chassis: NZXT Guardian 921RB
  • Boot/Storage: WD Blue 500GB

I'm a gamer on a budget obviously and the beginning was a little rough to be honest. It doesn't look good at first, just see the image below.

It was my first build, I didn't really care how it looks as long as it runs my games. Getting into the enthusiast builder spirit, I did the best I can to make it look cool and appropriate as a 'gaming PC'. 

I added LED fans and I painted the chassis with metallic blue along with the blue LEDs. Sorry for the messy modular cabling. It's really the best that I can do at that moment. Not really some hardcore pro modding stuff but I was just thinking it would be nice to make it look different so I painted the chassis.

The front panel was challenging to disassemble. The front panel temperature reader and sensors along with the front I/O panel needed to be removed.

This chassis is very unforgiving for neat cable management. I had to flatten a portion of that piece of metal in between the motherboard tray and ODD drive bays. I used an acrylic based paint, blue metallic color. I think it suits the space-age design of the NZXT Guardian 921RB.

Added some blue anodized screws to complete the blue theme of the rig.

The completed build has a blue color theme, mostly painted. At the time I built this rig, the Asrock 880GM-LE was the best bang for buck motherboard option I found. I like that it had 6 SATA ports for expansion and 2 PCI slots. I did utilize one of the slots later on, adding a sound card.

Gaming with the Asrock 880GM-LE Build

I only game at 720p, medium settings with this build except for the older game titles like Neverwinter, Neverwinter II and some of the Command and Conquer titles, I believe it was Red Alert 3. I loved the Athlon X4 640 processor. It can handle pretty much everything I can throw at it at 720p and even 1080p gaming. If there was a bottleneck, it was the HD 6770 which I upgraded to GTX 560TI and an Intel sandy bridge build later on to play Call of Duty: MW3, Battlefield 2 and 3, Alan Wake and Mass Effect 2 and 3.

For budget gamers, I would highly recommend an AMD build with an equally capable Asrock board. I'm still a proud AMD user, currently with an FX 8370 on an MSI 970 Gaming but I won't mind going back to my first love Asrock AMD boards!

Replies:
Posted By: Xaltar
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 2:16am
Great job for a first build Thumbs Up

Posted By: tonystark
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 2:36am
yes not bad! My 1st build was much worse! LOL! 

Posted By: yajllewor
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 8:38am
Nice 1st build! Mine was a  shop prebuilt pc.  I had an Asrock mobo on my first PC too, lga 775 :)  awesome motherboard, lasted years

Posted By: greatgin
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 10:34am
Good job. My first build was a disaster. I was not a wise shopper at that time.

Posted By: aceorpilla
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 11:17am
Awesome Job !!!

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 12:53pm
Thanks guys :) Looking forward to reviving my FX 8370 rig with an Asrock board! :D

Posted By: samuelx23
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2015 at 12:19am
Kewl! I would love to see more posts from you. :)

Posted By: whatswithjeff
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 12:11am
nice build! this reminds me of my first build as well

Posted By: tag75
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 5:18pm
I do like yr case never seen it beforeBig smile

-------------
treat people the way you want to be treated

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by tag75 tag75 wrote:

Thanks man :) It's actually a NZXT chassis, long before their Phantom series got out. Its a NZXT Guardian 921RB chassis. It does look cool, it has a temperature monitor panel on the top of the case and wire sensors you can place in sections inside the chassis. It looks cool but its very hot particularly for my place which has a tropical climate with temperatures reaching to 32C at noon hehehe. Eventually changes my chassis to a Coolermaster Storm trooper.

Posted By: tag75
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by najiro najiro wrote:

Thanks man :) It's actually a NZXT chassis, long before their Phantom series got out. Its a NZXT Guardian 921RB chassis. It does look cool, it has a temperature monitor panel on the top of the case and wire sensors you can place in sections inside the chassis. It looks cool but its very hot particularly for my place which has a tropical climate with temperatures reaching to 32C at noon hehehe. Eventually changes my chassis to a Coolermaster Storm trooper.
Coolermaster Storm trooper is a nice case

-------------
treat people the way you want to be treated

Posted By: r3volt97
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2015 at 6:19am
Clap Pro build :)
//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/" rel="nofollow -

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2015 at 10:30am
Originally posted by r3volt97 r3volt97 wrote:

Clap Pro build :)

thanks man :D learned a lot from this build hehe

Posted By: fourpixel
Date Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 1:33pm
Thanks for sharing! Nice first build there! 

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by fourpixel fourpixel wrote:

Thanks for sharing! Nice first build there! 

thanks! good thing I documented my first build and first mod hahaha

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 2:17pm
Good thing I didnt document my 1st build, hahahaha!! Embarassing 

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by yajllewor yajllewor wrote:

Good thing I didnt document my 1st build, hahahaha!! Embarassing 

this first build had a lot of bloopers...
at first I was using a generic PSU with short cables, I can't mount the PSU at the bottom and have to place boxes inside for it to sit on LOL
then there's the top fan blowing air from the outside in. No wonder the rig gets dusty inside in just a week hahaha. I had no idea about proper airflow back then. I just thought just having more fans installed is good LOL

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 2:46am

Speaking of my Coolermaster Storm trooper case, I made a troll out of it LOL

Posted By: neesnu
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 3:30am
Nice Build ! ~ Subscribing ! <3 keep it up!

Posted By: whatswithjeff
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 3:17pm

what's that green thingy in the Front picture?

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by whatswithjeff whatswithjeff wrote:

what's that green thingy in the Front picture?

hahaha! tubing for the USB cable on the card reader mounted on the front 5.25-inch drive bay LOL
some weird modding idea hahaha

Posted By: zycrew
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 12:18pm
NIce bro Kudos Clap

Date Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by zycrew zycrew wrote:

NIce bro Kudos Clap

thanks man, remember this chassis? haha

Date Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 1:03pm
that Meme! LOL

Date Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 1:08pm
Im still not good with cable management :( mine would be front and back facepalm

Date Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 1:10pm

Im still not good with cable management :( mine would be front and back facepalm

I'm not good either but what's important is what's seen in front LOOKS GOOD. Don't care if the rear looks messy hahaha.

Date Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 1:14pm
totally agree

BTW what happened to your amd  build? did something broke or you caught the PC enthusiast illness, never ending upgrade?

Date Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 1:21pm

totally agree

BTW what happened to your amd  build? did something broke or you caught the PC enthusiast illness, never ending upgrade?

Hahaha! Yes. LOL
Never stopped until this day but I have to hold back hahaha. Can't really go high end, dual graphics card or even an i7.. Still, this thread shows I really started from the common 'go with AMD for entry-level gaming build' kind of notion hehehe

Posted By: rrplay
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 7:03pm
Very nice looking build man Clap the blue theme looks really sharp on the desktop. No frikking way did my first build looked that sharp.   lol

anyhoo wanted to ask how that temperature control panel on the NZXT chassis sorta compares with the temps reported with some of the common software apps some of us may use like HW monitor or CoreTemps.

Thanks in advance, and thanks for making such a solid build post.

Date Posted: 31 Oct 2015 at 12:24am
Originally posted by rrplay rrplay wrote:

Very nice looking build man Clap the blue theme looks really sharp on the desktop. No frikking way did my first build looked that sharp.   lol

anyhoo wanted to ask how that temperature control panel on the NZXT chassis sorta compares with the temps reported with some of the common software apps some of us may use like HW monitor or CoreTemps.

Thanks in advance, and thanks for making such a solid build post.

Thanks peter :) I had no idea about HW monitor or CoreTemps like for the first 6 months of owning a PC hahaha. Don't even have a good idea of proper airflow back then hehe

Posted By: rrplay
Date Posted: 31 Oct 2015 at 12:56am

Thanks peter :) I had no idea about HW monitor or CoreTemps like for the first 6 months of owning a PC hahaha. Don't even have a good idea of proper airflow back then hehe

Yep! me too with my first build, it was a bit of a challenge selecting and getting the hardware to work properly and learning how to use the different apps that came with my mainboard too.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net