Z390 Taichi x2 with audio issues...

Printed From: ASRock.com
Category: Technical Support
Forum Name: Intel Motherboards
Forum Description: Question about ASRock Intel Motherboards
URL: https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=10479
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 5:13pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Z390 Taichi x2 with audio issues...
Posted By: railven
Subject: Z390 Taichi x2 with audio issues...
Date Posted: 22 Dec 2018 at 12:37am
Hey guys, hey! Text wall, trying to give as much info, scroll to bottom for TLDR.

System Specs:
Case: Corsair Carbide 400C
MOBO: ASRock Taichi Z390 (BIOS 1.2 -> BIOS 1.8)
CPU: Intel i9 9900K (Stock)
GPU: Zotac RTX 2080 Ti AMP (stock)
PSU: Corsair HX 850i
RAM: 4x8GB DDR4 Corsair Dominator 2800mhz (XMP 1 profile)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i + 2xCorsair AF140s (temporary)
M.2: 2x Samsung EVO series M.2 drives (512GB NVMe for OS/1TB SATA for Games)

Accessories:
Corsair K95 RGB Platinum keyboard
Corsair Glaive mouse
Corsair Void Pro Headset
Corsair RGB Mousepad
Corsair ST100 Headphone stand
Logitech Z 2300 speakers

Issue: High pitch static/buzzing when using rear audio connector on my Logitech Z 2300's if volume knob exceeds 20-25%, constant high pitch noises even when idle from PC, discovered something things while trying to trouble shoot regarding LEDs and whining noises.

I really like the look of the Taichi and it got good reviews, especially the audio quality, so I was looking forward to setting up my rig and ditching my Creative Soundblaster Z (it was getting old and was having constant driver issues).

My case is small, and eventually everything will be put on custom water loop (prior system was i7 8700K @ 5.1ghz w/ GTX 1080 Ti @ +150/500) so I'm not too concerned with heat (as of now).

I put everything together and just wanted to test everything out. Beside the noises, everything else seems to work fine with stock settings. No random boots, or GPU issues (from what I've read of the RTX series), nothing out of the ordinary.

Things I've noticed:
The noises from using the rear audio jack increase when the CPU loads more, ie tons of noise for example if power profile set to high performance versus power saver, or opening up programs and dragging them around the desktop.
There is a constant humming come from the PC, at first assumed it was bad fan, but with everything removed and using IGP and just keyboard, issue persisted, even in BIOS. I found that disabling the LEDs stopped this faint humming sound completely.
Using any other sound option I have (GPU via DP, USB Audio on ST100 headphone stand, or even plugging in my Creative Soundblaster Z) eliminates the noise. I don't use the front jacks on my case (removed the cable) so I can't test those (have read online eliminates issue as well). I'm currently using my ST100 USB audio option in the interim.

Things I've tried:
Assuming it's a power related issue, I've stripped everything down to barebones, 1x stick of RAM, IGP for video, only keyboard connected to USB ports, and pump+2xFans powered - noises persist.
BIOS options (flashed to newest, board came with 1.2 saw initial issues, flashed to 1.8, same issues) tweaking such as anything related to power (speed spectrum, voltages, line calib, etc) this is where I learned that disabling the LEDs stopped the constant humming (one problem solved, but I like the LEDs :( ) - noises from rear audio jacks persisted.
I tried a different PSU, wiring everything else to it - noises persist.
I tried using different power outlets (one for PC one for speakers) - noises persist.
I tried using different speakers, all speakers I tried - noises persist.
I hooked up my speakers to my wife's computer to see if my speakers were damaged - no issue, speakers had no hum outside of normal noise from being at 100% volume.
I assumed it was faulty board, so I swapped it with a new one (burned my warranty :( ) - noises persist on new board same as previous.

Things I will try in the next few days:
I got both boards from my local Microcenter, both had the same 1.2 bios so I assume possibly same batch, and thus possibly bad batch. So I ordered a new one from Amazon hoping third board will be better (or have different noises/issues etc). When I get the new board I'm going to rule out any grounding issues with my case (though previous builds have had zero issue, prior builds in this case were ASRock X99 + i7 6800K and MSI Z370 + i7 8700K, though I used my Soundblaster for those so can't rule out grounding issue out). I will setup the current board on a box, if issues persist, will swap with new board and pray no issues, if no issues install and pray for no further issues.

TL;DR: Excited to build my Z390 Taichi system only to find product breaking noises. Constant humming (resolved if I disable LEDs which I'd rather not), and back audio port (green) is basically useless if I set my speaker volume knob >20-25% as all I will hear is static, screeching, and buzzing. I've tried the usual troubleshoot steps and even swapped it with a new board. I have a third board on route and if issues continue I will just go with another brand/board.

Only things I've yet to do (but will once I get third board) is build setup barebones on box to avoid any grounding issues and clean install of OS (since this was suppose to be a parts test as I will put everything under water and then format system).

If anyone has run into a similar issue with this board, or any other, any solutions tips would be appreciated. Scouring Google I got a few hits of people having the same issue with no resolutions posted, so assuming it isn't widespread and thus possibly bad batch of boards. Third board will rule this out.

Thanks for now.

Replies:
Posted By: basementjack
Date Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 12:47pm
I have the same board, I've had issues with bios 1.80, you might try bios 1.60.

My sound comes from my monitor over Displayport, so I can't comment on what the green port sounds like.

What I can comment on is that most of the time it's dead quiet, but when I play Battlefield V, I hear some background noise that sounds wrong, but it appears to be coming from the game itself - I've not noticed this in other games, so I don't /think/ it's dependent on the graphics card..

- Jack

Date Posted: 25 Dec 2018 at 7:02am
Well, I did everything that I normally would do to trouble shoot this issue and with board 3 having the exact same issue I'm left with two possibilities:

1) the Z390 Taichi has some design flaws or compatibility issues (though doubt this)
or
2) my i9 9900K is damaged

I set up board 2 (from my local Microcenter) on the box with only 1 stick of RAM, CPU power, ATX power, and my 960 Evo OS drive.

No resolution to the noise issue.

Board fresh from Amazon was setup in the same method, exact same issue and this one wouldn't even let me boot into my OS (which the first two had zero issue with.) I had just done a fresh install on the Microcenter board 2 using the same drive, but board 3 didn't want to boot into Windows. So fresh install, again, and back into Windows to just godawful noise coming from my speakers.

Gonna return the Microcenter board and swap it for an MSI Z390 ACE. If the problems persist, will have to secure a second i9 9900K to test. If no issues, guess I'll be skipping ASRock this upgrade cycle.

Posted By: Buehlerra
Date Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 5:20pm
I have exactly the same issue with my Z390 Taichi Ultimate (Bios 1.8 with i9 9900K). My guess is, that the design is not really done in a good way and therefore using high frequecies like 5Ghz of the 9900K is impacting the routing on the PCB of the onboard audio.

I have solved it by installing the Soundblaster Z into the system, which works well up to now without any distorion.

Date Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 3:57pm
Well, after a week of trouble shooting, over $100 in gas, expenses, and return fees, I'm going to say something is wrong with the Z390 Taichi board or the specific combination of it and my hardware.

I gave up after 3 boards and picked up an MSI Z390 ACE and swapped it with the Amazon Taichi (board #3), and had absolutely no issues. Booted straight into my OS drive, cranked my volume to 100%, moved my mouse around - nothing, not a peep.

I set the power option to high performance, and moved the mouse, the faintest hum came through my speakers. At 100% with no other noise in the room, I could hear a slight hum. That is a win. Also didn't realize that the board turned on MCE by default so high performance profile had all 8 cores at 4.7ghz.

Called it a win, through the Taichi back into it's box, did a return request to Amazon, and packed it away to drop off tomorrow at UPS.

Good luck to anyone who is planing on using the onboard audio. I have a Sound Blaster Z from my previous build that I wanted to retire do to constant issues with old drivers and Win10 updates. I picked the Taichi on the strong audio reviews it go, but I wonder if those were due solely for the Ultimate, while the cheaper model might have had some skipping somewhere else.

Posted By: Jmar
Date Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 5:53am
railven, thanks for such a detailed post.

I too am experiencing the same problem when plugging my Logitech Z320 speakers into the rear green (and blue) port. I typically plug my headphones into the Speakers and, if I turn the Speaker volume up higher than about 1/2, I can hear a static type noise in my headphones. Oddly enough, if i keep the volume about mid-level, on my Speakers, and then adjust the volume with Windows 10, to max, I don't hear the static. And I noticed, per your comments, that if I have a Chrome "window" or Explorer "window" open and move it rapidly around the desktop, the amount of static/noise varies with the movement.

What's more weird is that if I plug my headphones directly into the rear green port, I can hear the static/noise constantly - regardless of the Windows volume level.

I have the Z390 Taichi, i7 8700k, 16gb of G Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 RAM w/RGB lighting (listed as compatible on Asrock's website). The only other LED component I have is a, non-flashing, light on my Enermax CPU watercooler.

I haven't tried disabling all LED in bios yet.

I'm an architect and a general contractor, so I realize that things ain't perfect. Asrock would go a long ways to gaining customer respect if they would acknowledge this problem exists.....

Posted By: Jmar
Date Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 5:55am
I posted my own comment on this issue below, but want to reply to yours as well. I noticed this noise prior to updating bios to the latest - thinking that maybe a newer bios would solve the problem.

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 3:30am
Yeah, I don't know what else to say. I went through hours of trouble shooting and in the end 3 different Z390 Taichi boards, and they all had the same issue.

Perhaps a BIOS between 1.2 and 1.8 may resolve, this or if there is a newer BIOS out now beside 1.8, but I only tried the initial BIOS and the newest on their website at the time of my trouble shooting.

End of the day, new board (MSI Z390 ACE), and I haven't had a single issue. Hopefully ASRock does acknowledge there is an issue and can resolve it, but until then you can use an external sound device to resolve it. Both my ST100 USB soundcard and my Sound Blaster Z PCIE soundcard had no issues.

If you're stuck with this board (ie have no means to return it) and I'd look into a dedicated sound card.

Good luck.

Posted By: danzel4711
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 6:12am
Same problem here http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=10615&title=z390-taichi-soundtrack-problem

Is there someone without this issuse? Im thinking about RMA but not sure if next motherboard will be good

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 11:50pm
I turned off Dr.Debug and LED on motherboard but didnt help.

Posted By: budouf
Date Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 11:14am
I fixed a lot of audio issue by downloading the latest realtek driver on:

[URL= ]https://github.com/alanfox2000/realtek-hda-release/releases/[/URL]

8627_FF0C_FF00_FF01_FF03_FF04_FF06_FF10_PG470_Win10_RS2_RS3_RS4_RS5_Win7_WHQL.rar

Then the folder 8627_FF10_PG470

I hope it will help some of you

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 7:27pm
Sadly, problem is not about bad drivers. Because you can hear the noise before you log to windows. Thanks anyway for finding decent drivers.

Posted By: budouf
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 5:47am
About that noise, I have it too on my headset when volume control is set to max on it (not windows sound level).

I set it to 90% directly on the headphone and no more noise.

My only issue atm it's when I have my speaker connected to the back input, I get some weird sound "effect" with my headset connected to the front input.

But if i disconnect my speaker, headset sound is OK.   

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 5:46am
I haven't bothered to check if ASRock themselves pushed out a fix.

As it is, I ended up going with an MSI board and I have had ZERO issues. The audio chipset is even the same. I got my 9900K going @ 5.1 Ghz and not a single noise comes from my speakers connected to the rear audio port.

ASRock either needs to do a hardware revision on the board or a BIOS fix. This is not an issue I would accept from a +$230 board.

Posted By: bttzvnt
Date Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 11:21pm
I have the z390 Taichi and also the i9-9900k.

I also have this same problem - whiny static noise which increases when the computer is under load. I mostly don't notice it when I am just browsing but it cranks up when I launch a game. When I use software such as Voicemeeter Banana, I can hear constant fuzz/whine coming from my microphone.

Will try remove all the LEDs and see if that helps but kind of discouraging to see many other with same issue. FWIW I don't have any sound/mic interference when I plug my mic into my monitor and play back sound from monitor so it seems to be coming from the PC hardware. The green port on the back of the PC is noticably worse than the front at lower loads.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net