Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: X399 Taichi won't boot with multiple RAM installed
Posted By: sblomfield
Subject: X399 Taichi won't boot with multiple RAM installed
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 11:46pm
I just completed a new build using:

• Motherboard: ASRock X399 Taichi

• CPU: ThreadRipper 2920X

• RAM: 2 x 16GB DDR4 2400 GSkill (F4-2400C15D-32GVR)

• Storage 1: 1TB HP EX920 NVMe

• Storage 2: Seagate BarraCuda 3TB ST300DM008

• GPU: Sapphire Pulsa RX 580 8GB

This system refused to install windows setup with both RAM installed, showing the error:

Windows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code 0x80070570.

Removing either one of RAM allowed windows to install.

I successfully installed windows (with only 16GB RAM installed), and verified it would boot and operate correctly. I shut it down, then replaced the remaining 16GB RAM. After booting up again, I received the following error as soon as the option to enter the BIOS disappears and the bootloader engages:

Recovery
      Your PC/Device needs to be repaired.
      The operating system couldn't be loaded because the kernel is missing or contains errors.
      File: \windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
      Error Code: 0xc0000221

Things I have tried:

• I have updated the BIOS from 3.30 to 3.50 to no avail.

• I have reseated the RAM from dual channel to single channel, back to dual channel, with no change at any point.

• I have switched positions of the RAM.

• I have had a friend test the RAM in an ASRock X399 Phantom Gaming with a 1920X, the same NVMe, and the same GPU (it worked without issue).

Things I have yet to try:

• Reseat the CPU. I'm not sure this will help, and I need to buy more thermal paste before I can do this... it is on order.

• Wipe the SSD and HDD, and reinstall windows a third time.

I am at a loss to determine what is causing this problem, hoping ASRock TS can help me out here please!

Replies:
Posted By: xhue
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 2:54am
Did you use the proper mobo slots for 2 RAM sticks, as described in the manual? It's also worth to check your OC or XMP settings.

It's definitely a RAM related issue, though. I think re-seating the CPU has a high chance of fixing your stuff, more so that your GPU & RAM are working fine in your friend's PC.

P.S. CMOS resets are a must every time you tweak with a component.

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 3:30am
Thanks for the reply!

Yes, I have tried it in both the indicated slots (resulting in dual channel), as well as not in the indicated slots (resulting in the BIOS showing single channel).

I had also tried set the correct XMP 2.0 profile for the RAM, as well as leaving it on Auto. Same result either way.

I did not know about clearing CMOS between moving the hardware around though, thanks for the tip.

I will reseat the CPU and the RAM tonight (attempt to use the same thermal compound, new stuff won't get here until Friday) and clear the CMOS.

Thanks for the thoughts!

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 4:18am
You're welcome! I'm even willing to bet that a simple CPU & RAM (DDR4 is trick too) re-seating will fix you. Check the cabling for a good measure too.

Just for the sake of it, you can re-use the thermal paste, albeit not for a prolonged periods or heavy workloads. Maybe try booting some live Linux distro and check the memory. Memtest is a good option too, after you re-seat the CPU & the RAM.

Once the new paste is there, you can clear CMOS once again and proceed to a new clean install of Windows or whatever rocks your boat.

Fingers crossed! Please keep us posted.

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 1:43am
So this morning I removed the heatsink, reseated the CPU, reinstalled the heatsink, removed the RAM, reinstalled it in the MB recommended configuration, , powered up while holding the clear CMOS button on the board, let go of the button, entered the BIOS, changed XMP Profile to DDR4-2400, saved exited, and tried to boot... result was still a fail to boot.

Original Image: https://ibb.co/cDVHrJx

Including pictures of my BIOS in case they help:

Original Image: https://ibb.co/Fb3rhj9

Original Image: https://ibb.co/qWJP2W8

Original Image: https://ibb.co/0BLqBq1

Tonight my goal is to:

• Download a Linux live system onto a thumb drive and try to boot that.

• in Linux, fdisk the existing NVMe and spinning disk to remove existing installation and partitions, and run a memory test.

• Download new windows installation media to a different thumb drive.

• Attempt to reinstall windows (without removing RAM).

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 2:19am
Drats! There goes my bet...

Please report after you go though the list of activities you posted.

Maybe it's worth to try and flip the option for Spread Spectrum, as it was introduced in BIOS 3.50 AFAIK, even though you mentioned that you had issues with other BIOS versions too.

P.S. if you have a corrupted OS installation, you won't be able to boot even if you have fixed all other issues.

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 12:30am
Update:

• I downloaded Ubuntu 18.10 onto a thumb drive booted with all 32G in the system, no issue.

• While in Linux, I used fdisk to remove partitions from the NVMe and blow away the existing windows installation. The spinning disk appeared to have no partitions in GParted.

• I downloaded memtest86 v8.1 and put it on a USB, but the USB wouldn't detect in the boot choices menu as UEFI mode, and so I couldn't get it to work

• I downloaded new windows installation media and put it on a 64 USB3.

• I Attempted to reinstall windows without removing RAM (32GB). Same fail as always. 0xC0000221, Failed to find ntoskrnl.exe

• I used the built-in windows memory check since I couldn't use memtest86 at that point, and after many hours it froze at 19% on pass 3:

Original: https://ibb.co/mzBG9PK

• Interesting to note that windows DID detect (and very quickly) that "Hardware problems were detected. To identify and repair these problems, you will need to contact the computer manufacturer"... but gives me no way to determine what it thinks these hardware problems ARE.... thank you so much Microsoft.
  • I removed one stick of RAM, windows installed like a champ (16GB).

• Of note, when I installed windows - the spinning disk actually did have partitions on it ??so I blew those away and recreate one partition (which created an MSR partition too, I left that all alone)

• I rebooted and removed windows installation media, windows booted up no issue (16GB)

• I shut down, added the other RAM back (32GB) - windows gave the original 0xC0000221, kernel is missing or contains errors: \windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

• I shut down, removed the RAM that I had previously left in, windows booted up again no issues (16GB).

What am I missing here? Linux seems to not mind the RAM, Windows on this PC won't have it. Windows on another ASRock X399 Phantom Gaming with a 1920X doesn't mind it.

Could I be looking at an issue with the memory controller on the 2920X CPU that Linux is just more forgiving of?
Is the RAM really the culprit?

Either way, I need to return whatever the problem is for exchange soon - but Newegg is not forgiving of things they deem returned "working" (15% restocking fee) ??reason for me to go with Amazon next time, I guess!

I really wouldn't mind if ASRock_TSD would chime in here too...

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 1:44am
One thing is for sure, I like the way you think.

- memtest86 should work with CSM disabled. Most likely you have CSM on by default. Also, memtest can be invoked with Ubuntu's live CD.

- GParted not finding partitions on the spinner, plus this MBR you mentioned are worrying me. Win 10 (1803 and 1809 at least) should utilize GPT and not MBR partitioning scheme.

- ASRock 'support' is practically a joke. I ditched my ASRock and never looked back.

- Maybe it's some weird erratum that only affects Windoze? IDK. You can also try deploying a Linux w/ KVM or Xen, and then try to install Win 10 in a VM, just to see if it will whine again.

I'd say ditch the mobo. 15% is bad, hands down but it's better than no system. ASUS just released a new X399 beast, so maybe that's your chance.

All the best! Please keep us posted, I for one would really like to know the end of the story.

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 3:13am
I found out - windows setup allocates a large RAM disk as soon as you start the installer. The proof of Linux having an issue would be if I could create a 20 GB ram drive under Linux and then start to dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/ramdrive ??and wait to see if as it slows up an error creeps in - slowly or otherwise - as Linux allocates space and uses it.

That said though, I'm rather suspecting the memory controller in this CPU is borked??and am thinking to have Newegg replace it.

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 4:01am
Well, RAM being tested and validated in another setup, it's either the mobo or the CPU's IMC then.

Depending on your time and willingness, you may try poking large memory pages under Linux or just RMA stuff.

I can't really think of a conclusive test, which runs from BIOS or Linux, and will tell whether it's the CPU or the mobo.

RMA both the CPU & mobo is always an option, if you can afford it (the dreaded restocking fee).

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 12:06am
Only update is that I have RMA'd the CPU (no restocking fee due to some particular circumstances as far as I could tell), and new CPU is on the way. Arrives 1/16. If that doesn't work, I'll RMA the RAM... and at that point I will have subbed out Motherboard, CPU, and RAM. I doubt I could swap out anything else that matters!

We will see!

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 6:59am
Thanks for the heads-up!

While praying for the best, I'm also curious what will turn out to be the culprit. Although I'm obviously biased against ASRock, I would have started with the mobo nonetheless.

Pay extra care when mounting this monstrous TR. As you know the socket can be hard to tame. Check RAM and cabling once again, and clear CMOS before you continue further into your adventure.

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 11:10am
New CPU arrived today. Just installed - still the same problem. about to do a CMOS clear and see if it helps, then an OS reinstall and see if that helps... but I doubt it.

Reason I went for the CPU first: It was an open box CPU from NewEgg, so it could have been mishandled by previous purchaser - most likely culprit. In fact, I know for fact that it had been popped out of the carrier frame, and re-inserted in 180 degrees opposite - triangles did not line up - if it was ever installed like that who is to say perhaps the MCU in the CPU could have been blown.

But it turns out no... it was probably fine. SMH, FML.

which part to pull next. Could be the RAM, could be the board. I may ask my friend to borrow his RAM and install both sticks in my board and see if it works. If so, then the issue is not the board. If not, then the issue is probably the board.

Seems as good logic as any to use.

Posted By: Xaltar
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 2:15pm
Ouch, I have been following this thread for a while now but refrained from posting because xhue has been on point

Taking a look at your RAM's QVL on it's product page there are no AMD boards listed as supported. Given that there are Z370 boards listed G-Skill has obviously updated their compatibility list recently and still don't list AMD 300 and 400 series boards I would tend to suspect their may be a major compatibility concern. By the look of it that RAM kit was originally designed for X99. I think you will find that a different RAM kit may be the answer to your situation. Good luck

-------------

Posted By: StefaanC
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 7:30pm
Sorry for the date, in the bios you let the overclocking to auto, should be disabled.
With windows10 : if start does not work try at least 5 times cause windows will show recovery console at some stage. And funny enough on my as rock x399, just exiting the recovery console and the system booted UEFI fine.

Be careful with the TR socket not meant many for much swapping.

To bug fix a system, just video card no ram and CPU so see if the BIOS at least can start the BIOS= CPU working and video working.
Insert one dim and boot up again.

As soon windows loads, let it go to the desktop and start windows update cause it needs to load AMD chip-set firmware , drivers for video and audio.

Then start a dos prompt and enter sfc /scannow
Cause if there is a failure on the disks sfc can fix that but it takes a long time.

If sfc finds nothing shut down. But if SFC reports bad clusters do keep an eye on it.

Shut down anyway insert the second dim and boot up. And windows should load fine.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net