AB350m Pro4 couse graphics card issue?

Printed From: ASRock.com
Category: Technical Support
Forum Name: AMD Motherboards
Forum Description: Question about ASRock AMD motherboards
URL: https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=10982
Printed Date: 04 May 2024 at 3:28am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: AB350m Pro4 couse graphics card issue?
Posted By: mati998
Subject: AB350m Pro4 couse graphics card issue?
Date Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 3:47am
Hello

I have AB350m Pro4 with Ryzen 1600 and everything worked well for a few weeks. But one day began problems. First, I can't shut down computer. When I want to do it, Windows 10 looked like it was turning off, but computer was still on. It was annoying, but otherwise it was ok. Later appered freezes and 'black screens' and it was not possible to reset computer with the reset button and and all the fans were turning at full speed. It was getting worse, so i try tu run computer with one of two RAM, use memtest, reinstall Windows (using another hard disc) and finally tested my Radeon 7850 graphic card in another computer. It turned out that the card was damaged - it was not even possible to install the drivers because it caused crash. So I bought new card - Geforce GTX 1060 3Gb, and for about one week everything was OK. And now I have the same problem. I change PCI-E slot from PCIE2 to PCIE3 and i still have black screens (monitor shows 'no signal'), but fans are spinning with normal speed and I can use reset button. My cofig:

AMD Ryzen 1600
Asrock AB350M Pro4 with latest bios, all default setting
Gigabyte GTX1060 Windforce 2X OC 3Gb
RAM: 2x SK Hynix HMA81GU6AFR8N-UH DDR4-2400
Goodram C100 120Gb SSD
WDC WD5000AVVS-63H0B1 500Gb HDD
Seasonic Platinum-660 P660

I will be grateful for advice

Replies:
Date Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 4:20am
Just now there is a problem in the device manager with PCI encryption and decryption controller driver (PCI Bus 36, device 0, function 2) - drivers for this device are not installed. It can be related to my problems?

Posted By: xhue
Date Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 4:30am
Can you burn a Linux distro on USB? Then use it a bit for some stress testing, without installaing it.

You also mentioned you used another hard disk. It's not recommended you use previous OS installations on another build.

Check your cabling, mobo spacers, case, component seatings, etc. Clear CMOS and re-deploy Windows from scratch.

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 6:57am
Thank you for response.
I will check under Linux, but I think it's hardware problem. I forgot to write that when I leave UEFI (with saving settings or not) computer does not reboot, only fans run on full speed and reset button doesn't work.

Posted By: Niccador
Date Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 7:19am
Originally posted by mati998 mati998 wrote:

Just now there is a problem in the device manager with PCI encryption and decryption controller driver (PCI Bus 36, device 0, function 2) - drivers for this device are not installed. It can be related to my problems?

I've encountered this device while troubleshooting issues on my build as well.
The device is AMD PSP (Platform Security Processor), and drivers for it are included with the AMD Chipset driver package. It's one of the few devices that Windows does not have some sort of default driver for.

If you used the AMD Cleanup Utility, this is probably why you're seeing this. That utility *claims* that it doesn't remove any of the chipset drivers, only the video-related drivers....but, surprise, surprise, it does in fact remove all the chipset drivers.

As to whether or not it's related to your problem....I'd say it's highly doubtful, but I can't be sure.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing how this plays out for you, as my own troubleshooting has me looking towards the video card as well, at the moment.

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 7:38am

Thank you for response.
I will check under Linux, but I think it's hardware problem. I forgot to write that when I leave UEFI (with saving settings or not) computer does not reboot, only fans run on full speed and reset button doesn't work.

(Gah! Why can't I edit my previous post? Grr... Sorry for the double reply.)

This has me very interested in your situation, as mine is similar.
One of my symptoms is that the system -- most of the time -- is not restarting properly. Full shutdown works fine, but Restart from Windows or UEFI just hangs there with no video, no hdd activity, and full fans. (When I say "most" of the time, it's because restarting from UEFI is more of a 50/50 chance, it seems.)

I have done everything I can to rule out a RAM issue. Windows' memory diagnostic and MemTest86 have both cleared multiple (4+) passes with zero errors.

My other primary symptom is that the system will freeze up seemingly at random.
However, I've found that these freezes are very rare -- if not completely non-existent -- when doing basic productivity such as web browsing, or watching videos, say with Plex. BUT, if I try playing games (BlueStacks, Star Trek Online, etc), then the freezes will occur. It might take a few minutes, or it might run fine for an hour (though usually not more than an hour).

When the freezes happen, audio is generally goes silent (although a couple times it has looped the last second of audio), input freezes, hdd activity freezes, the video display remains (no artifacts or corruption). In fact, I can disconnect/reconnect the monitor, and the frozen video is still there. (In the past, I've found that video card failures won't return the image like that....reconnecting the monitor usually acts like the card's in sleep mode or otherwise no signal...so this strikes me as odd. But maybe I'm mistaken.)

I'm about to try swapping out the card with an older Radeon, but the frustrating part is that the current card -- an R9 270X -- is too big to fit in any of my other systems to test itself. :(

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 6:47pm
Hi

I tested computer using Ubuntu. Problems are the same as on Windows, so it looks like hardware problem. I checked power supply voltages, they looks OK, but I know that is not sure.

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 1:47am
It seems my system is trying to make an ass of me, at the moment.

Last night I ran through several hours of memory tests -- which I've done before, mind you -- in addition to using some remote monitoring ("Remote System Monitor" on Google Play) so I could possibly get a last second read if it crashed again.

Naturally, nothing turned up. Ran Furmark a couple times, no issue. So I tried gaming a little while monitoring, trying to get it to crash again before swapping out the video cards to test, and....nothing. Ran for almost 2 hours with no problems, even restarting worked fine. About to try some more and see if it's still holding...

I cannot fathom how or why the RAM would have been "loose" or mis-seated (it definitely took some effort to get them in and out these many times. Surely a memory error would have shown up in memTest somewhere.... But, still, crossing my fingers that this has worked.

The only oddity I found last night were a couple sensors reporting odd temperatures. (Auxiliary and VRM, I believe.) They were reporting 80C and 100C initially, and during gaming backed down a bit to 77 and 97 (that may have been due to just the ambient...it was cold last night.) Near as I can tell, these are just wonky readings, and are common. If anyone wants to correct me, feel free.

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 4:17am
My computer worked without any problems today (under stress), but just now crash again. It is interesting that the optical mouse looked like it lost power, after restart (the reset button worked!) the mouse worked. In my case, problems are often when browsing the internet and watching movies. It makes me crazy and I am thinking about submitting RMA but I am not sure that the motherboard causes problems.

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 4:47am
Ubuntu test is decisive. It's not SW after all.

DDR4 slots are very prone to improper RAM installation.

VRM temps are way too high for 24/7! Check with your hand, but don't touch them! 90C will cause severe burns! If the VRM are really running at 90-100C you won't be able to get your hand even at 4-5cm.

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 5:57am
Mine just crashed again too. Played some Star Trek Online for a couple solid hours, zero issues, tabbed in and out a couple times. Then, after 4-5 seconds at desktop right after exiting the game, display cut out and system froze.

Nothing abnormal on the temp readings, my voltages looked okay at a glance.

I'm still thinking of pulling the card and testing a different one, but I'm honestly leaning more toward just calling it a defective board. I'll probably try running OCCT later just to try to squeeze more information out of it.

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 12:46pm
I'd like to apologize to mati998 for hijacking this thread with my similar issues. Here's hoping we can both get this sorted though.

Crashed yet again. This time near the 30min mark on an OCCT GPU test...as before, locked up with no display. (This was following a 2hr OCCT CPU test.)

I'm not even remotely convinced that the GPU is actually at fault yet. It performs flawlessly, right up to the crash. Temps, voltages, etc are all well within limits...no artifacts or other graphical hiccups. It simply works like a champ until the whole system goes down.

The oddly high temp readings on sensors which are labeled (in some software) as Aux and/or VRM do not seem to be accurate. Unless the VRM heatsinks are not making any sort of proper contact, they don't appear to be remotely warm. Not all apps pick up these particular sensors, so I'm calling this a red herring for now.

I've been reluctant to swap out the video card, mainly because I don't have an identical card to swap in. Changing out the card for one with drastically different power and/or bandwidth requirements might appear to be a fix at first, when in reality it could just be delaying me from finding an issue with the PCIE or power supply....

Which leads me to my next target of interest: the power supply.
My PSU is a Corsair CX550M, which should be ample for this build...in theory it should cap out at about 400W under full CPU/GPU load.
I'm trying to sort out how best to test it, although I think just swapping it out is probably the only way.
I've read of some faulty power supplies causing all manner of bizarre behavior (see recent reviews on NewEgg for the Corsair CX550M), so I'm going to give this a shot. I'll update this tomorrow after testing.

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2019 at 5:03am
Niccador, it's OK that you write in this thread, because we may have the same cause of problems. Fortunately, my motherboard is still under warranty, power supply and processor too (but it remained 1 month) but I do not have time to look for the source of the problem and wait for repair :(

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2019 at 9:40am
Once again, the computer mocks my troubleshooting efforts.

So after last night's crash, I swapped power supplies with an old Nspire 500W I keep around for stuff. Ran about 3 hours of tests with OCCT, with zero issues. Got my hopes up.

Swapped the original power supply back in to confirm crashes... And it's been running for about 3 hours now, through the same or either tests, with no issues. Yet. Truly infuriating.

Next, I'm going to just game tonight/this weekend with both power supplies until something breaks. Of I can't pin down a problem with the psu's, I'll try switching out the graphics card with an older one and a newer one, and see what happens. Will update tomorrow.

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 7:42am
Okay, so just a brief recap of everything I've done thus far.

Hours and hours of memory testing with both Windows memory Diagnostic and MemTest86+, individual sticks and both sticks. Results: zero errors found.

At least 8+ hours worth (total) of OCCT CPU testing, also no errors found.

Tested three different Radeon graphics cards, multiple driver versions.
Also tested with two different power supplies. Results: no change in crash frequency.

Tested multiple audio driver versions, no change in crash frequency.

No notable events appearing in Event Viewer during or near any of these crashes.

The only observations I've managed to really make are these:

1) Audio crackles or distorts just before a crash, BUT, audio continues to play normally after display has crashed. This, to me, makes it appear like some manner of driver problem between audio and video, perhaps. But testing would seem to rule out drivers for both since it occurs with multiple versions known to be previously working. Likewise, it's not a defective video card, since it occurs with multiple known working cards. Could still be audio hardware, since I can't really change that out.

2) These crashes all started following a major Windows update to 1809 at the beginning of February. The only thing I feel I have yet to do is to just wipe and clean install Windows. Which I guess is my next step. It'll take me a couple days.

Posted By: mochination
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 8:28pm
I also have problems with shutting down the PC where it won't go completely.

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=7316&PN=1&title=asrock-ab350-pro4-motherboard-problems

^^ These people also seem to have similar problems, at least with not being able to shut down the computer properly.

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 5:26am
So, I cleared CMOS yet again, and did a clean install of Windows 10 (109, build 17763.316).

In the lead-up to this, while backing up my necessary data, the crashing intensified, and started happening every 5-10 minutes, or less. Interestingly, I was able to get it into Safe Mode, which didn't crash (at least for the hour or so it took me to wrap up). This may be purely coincidence though, since this thing has gone several hours between crashes before.

After the clean install, everything seemed alright for a couple hours.
Then it crashed same as before. And it continued crashing every few minutes...sometimes almost as soon as it got to desktop.

Ran MemTest86+ again for a few long passes. Still no errors reported.

Going to double check PSU using a third new supply, just to be certain.
If that still fails, I'm going to try another clean install of Windows...this time rolling back to 1803 17134.619 and disabling further updates.

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 7:04am
I found something interesting. I accidentally kicked into the computer case, then it crashed. So I reboot computer and (I know it is dangerous and maybe quite stupid) I touched (very carefully) components. When I touched one of RAM stick then audio sound began to crackle,but still played and the screen crashed.I cleaned the RAM slots using compressed air and contacts on RAM sticks using isopropanol and currently works good, but I do not know if this is the cause of all problems, I will check

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 7:13am
Interesting, indeed, though I wouldn't go touching bare RAM while the system's running myself. Only reason I even considering reaching for mine is the ample heat spreader they have.

Anyway. It seems interesting in your case, but also possibly coincidental? I would think if your RAM or slots had been dirty or loose, something would have shown up on a memory test. But who knows.

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 12:22pm
Okay. I'm done.

Retested with a third power supply, no change in behavior.
Ran additional memory tests, no change.
Tried reinstalling both the 1809 build, and the previously working 1803 build of Windows, still with no change.

I am at a complete loss.
At this point, the only two parts I haven't swapped out are the CPU and the Motherboard. Unfortunately, the CPU appears to test just fine in OCCT, which leaves me with only one option: buy a different board.

I don't want to talk trash on ASRock like some, but after what I've struggled with for the past month, and what I've read here and elsewhere, this was just a bad product.

ASRock can make good boards. I've got a X58 Extreme that seems ancient now, but is still running like a beast, with a Xeon X5675. That was clearly a great product.
The AB350M Pro4? Not so much.

Posted By: Xaltar
Date Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 5:14pm
It may be possible that when the old GPU kicked the bucket it caused some damage to the board. Given your exhaustive troubleshooting I think you are on the right track with replacing the board. While there appears to be a lot of hate for the poor AB350 Pro 4, most of that was RAM compatibility related. I know many people that are quite happy with theirs, now 2 years on. I would recommend a 4xx series board as a replacement, newer and likely better compatibility with current and up coming CPUs. It's easy to get disillusioned with a brand after a bad experience but the simple fact is, bad components happen regardless of brand. Only if said bad components occur with unacceptable frequency do I usually write a brand off. The last time that happened for me was with Gigabyte in the early 2000's when they were hit hard by several bad batches of capacitors. Eventually they resolved the issue but not before it cost me a fortune in both replacement parts and lost clients.

Good luck and please let us know if the new board sorts you out, regardless of the brand you choose

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 5:16pm
It may also be worth your while contacting Tech Support:
https://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp

They may be able to help you, possibly an RMA if you are still within warranty.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 7:45am
Thanks for the response.
Contacted official Support, so we'll see what they have to say.

Like I said, not wanting to talk trash about ASRock, but this board, man...it's got me pulling out what little hair I have left.

I'm certainly willing to give an RMA a try, assuming it doesn't end up costing me what I'd end up spending on a new board anyway. :-/ I admit, though, I'm very wary now. I *want* to trust ASRock and chalk all this up to an isolated incident. Some of those B450 and X470 boards look nice, after all.

I guess I'll just use the X58 until I can get all this sorted.

(Oh, and my graphics cards didn't die....that'd be the OP. Best guess for me right now is that there's something on the board that's randomly losing it's mind and causing a power fluctuation, just enough to fubar everything. But I don't have the gear to properly test for that, and the nature of the crashes thus far has prevented me from getting any kind of a reading that might point to that with more certainty.)

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by Niccador Niccador wrote:

(Oh, and my graphics cards didn't die....that'd be the OP. Best guess for me right now is that there's something on the board that's randomly losing it's mind and causing a power fluctuation, just enough to fubar everything. But I don't have the gear to properly test for that, and the nature of the crashes thus far has prevented me from getting any kind of a reading that might point to that with more certainty.)

Sorry about that, it's so easy to miss who posted what when a thread has more than one person having similar issues.

As for talking trash, by all means, hate on your board I don't know anyone who has been building systems for a while that hasn't had a dud board give them hell. I am not here to defend anything, I am here because ASRock has done right by me for years now and I have not had any (unresolved) issues with the boards I have used from them. What I respect about ASRock is that in the time I have been on the forums here I have seen them take user feedback and use it to improve their products. Many of the features requested and issues brought up on the forums were resolved in future updates or products. Very few manufacturers listen to their users as much in my experience.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 8:48pm
Hi
So far, I did not have any more crashes, but still sometimes the computer does not turn off properly. Now I stop looking for causes until there are not crashes.

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 4:23am
I have problems again. Probably I will buy a new motherboard and send this warranty, because I can not work on unstable computer...

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 5:11am

I have problems again. Probably I will buy a new motherboard and send this warranty, because I can not work on unstable computer...

My bet is on a dead mobo too.

Please let us know how it went, so we can learn the whole story.

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2019 at 2:39am
I changed the motherboard to MSI B450 GAMING PLUS and everything works very well. Thank you all for your suggestions and discussion.

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2019 at 6:26am
Glad to hear everything worked out for you, eventually.
I ended up replacing my board as well...coincidentally also with an MSI B350 Bazooka. Looks good, runs good, and gambling on a cheap refurb made it...uhm...cheap. :)

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2019 at 6:43am
I bought motherboard after service repair, it was also cheap :)

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net