Date Posted: 23 Mar 2019 at 8:52am
Spec:
Fatal1ty X470 Gaming K4 BIOS 1.9 updated from 1.4
AMD RYZEN 7 2700
CORSAIR CMK16GX4M2B3000C15
ASUS 7970 MATRIX
SAMSUNG 970 EVO
CORSAIR AX860

I am installing Windows 10 Pro x64 using the Microsoft Media Creation tool via USB. When I boot the USB and reach the first screen of Windows 10 install the system will freeze. It will not freeze in BIOS.

The following things I have tried:
- Disconnected front panel USB3 and Audio connectors
- Reset CMOS
- Used one stick of RAM, I have tried two sticks are separate times
- Run memtest86 on the RAM for a day, no errors occured
- Run Ultimate Boot for a CPU stress test for a day, no errors occured
- Tried several USB drives to use a boot drive for Windows 10 install, all of them freeze
- Removed the m.2 and mounted no hdd, run the Win 10 install, same problem
- Run Hiren Boot, froze on initialisation
- Mounted a SSD and removed m.2 for the install, same problem
- Replaced the 7970 with a nvidia quadro card and GTX970 at different times, all produced the same problem
- Updated BIOS from 1.4 to 1.9, same problem
- Disabled Compatibility Support Module, same problem
- Tried Win 7 x64 install, froze on first welcome screen. Used several USB drives

Any help would be appreciated.

Replies:
Posted By: xhue
Date Posted: 23 Mar 2019 at 3:21pm
This must be very annoying for you.

I would advise you to tear the whole build apart, piece by piece. Cables, connectors, everything.

Inspect the mobo for any signs of damage. Put the mobo on a wooden table/desk. Check the CPU pins for bending. Install the CPU again. Mount the cooler. Install only 1 stick of RAM. Make sure it clicks nicely. Plug all PSU cables back.

Now, check all jumpers and remove the chassis connector cables.

Plug a GPU and a keyboard. Clear CMOS again for 15sec minimum.

Try booting from USB and keep us posted.

Posted By: rxylab
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 7:16am
Thanks for the reply.

I have just tried what you have said.

The motherboard doesn't have any obvious signs of damage. I've looked at it under a strong lamp, inspecting the tracks and solder work. There aren't any scratches on the tracks or any bent pins. The ram and pci slots were all good too.

I've looked at the cpu and the pins are all straight. I've cleaned up the paste and re-applied.

I've checked the ram and there isn't anything on the contacts.

Having checked everything I took the time to re-seat it all on a wooden table. It's not in the case. The same problem is happening. I was hoping it was the case causing a bridge somewhere, but that is ruled out.

I've also tried a Ubuntu install and it didn't get past the first screen.

I'm out of ideas now. I'll contact newegg to see if they could send a new motherboard but I don't know if I can rule out the CPU?

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 7:32am
It's most likely the mobo or the RAM. Of course, it could be virtually anything, even the PSU.

The fact you are able to boot and start OS installation, and then freezing, could also suggest a bad SSD. Most likely PC hangs once it start writing to the drive.

Could you also try booting Ubutu in LiveCD mode? Or at least try the memtest option in the GRUB menu.

If you have the time to spare, plus the option to RMA stuff, I think it's best to start doing so. Begin with the mobo, then the SSD. CPU and RAM next if neither of the first swap helps.

Posted By: brkkab123
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 3:49pm
I heard this as of the last 2-3 versions of Windows 10, as it's a well known issue.
Don't put the flash drive to install Windows 10 in a usb 3.0 or 3.1 port.
It won't work in either for a install.
Only use a usb 2.0 port.
Try that first, then if it still fails create a new Windows 10 flash drive and try again.
If it still fails then start taking your build apart and test parts and even try new sata and psu cables to rule the cheap fixes out first.

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 5:35pm
OP says the same freeze happens with other OS too. More so, new mobos don't even have USB 2.0 ports. Even 3.1 is OK, as most modern OS have the drivers for it.

Posted By: rxylab
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 7:09am
So it has turned out to be the CPU after all. I have a new CPU and the problem has gone. Asrock support were very helpful.

Thanks for all other suggestions too.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net