Print Page | Close Window

TaiChi x470 Memory problems - Corsair Veng 3000

Printed From: ASRock.com
Category: Technical Support
Forum Name: AMD Motherboards
Forum Description: Question about ASRock AMD motherboards
URL: https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=11792
Printed Date: 20 May 2024 at 12:43am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com


Topic: TaiChi x470 Memory problems - Corsair Veng 3000
Posted By: stigzler
Subject: TaiChi x470 Memory problems - Corsair Veng 3000
Date Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 4:22am
Hi all,

Build:
TaiChi x470
Ryzen 7 2700X
Cosair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000MHz (DDR4 2x16GB) (CMW32GX4M2C3000C15)

All verified via PC Part picker as compatible.

I'm struggling to get to get this working. Both Bios and CpuID show the full 32 GB, but windows is not registering it all (only using 16GB with another 16 "Hardware Reserved" - whatever that means):



What is more, I'd like to know the correct configuration for this RAM if possible. Namely:

a) Which are the right slots? (from the manual, I'm guessing A2 + B2?)
b) What to select as the correct XMP/timings??
c) Does running in single rather that double rank mode effect performance at all? (can't find a way to get the bios to run the ram in double)

I've tried lots of different combinations. Originally, an XMP option came up which was very simlar to my RAM, but at 3200MHz - chose this - resulted in the 16GB Windows ram.

Then did some reading and followed one suggestion that RAM timings should be set at 2400 if using 16GB sticks. Tried this (setting xmp and other profiles to "Auto") - same problem.

Also tired swapping the banks - no difference.

I'd be grateful if someone could advise as stuck with only half my RAM!



Replies:
Posted By: stigzler
Date Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 4:24am
Full link for that image:

https://ibb.co/KzR7c7B


Posted By: xhue
Date Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 5:04am
Hi!

I'm afraid 16GB sticks (from Corsair nonetheless) are just way too much of a burden for your setup. Sadly, pcpartpicker is rather retarded.

If you check around here you will see that Corsair doesn't play good with AM4 builds.

Typically, A2/B2 are the slots to go with just 2 sticks. You may however try A1/B1 as well.

I also recommend you clear CMOS each time you move a part. I would also consider a newer BIOS version in your case.

If none of the above help I'm afraid you will have to change the RAM.

I won't recommend Ryzen memory calculator in your case. I don't think your system will run stable with any settings.


Posted By: stigzler
Date Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 5:41am
Thanks for the response. That sounds like bad news. I think my bios is the most current - P3.2?

What are the best 16GB sticks to buy?


Posted By: cx5
Date Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 10:58am
Hi @stigzler

I'm a Corsair ram user CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 and suffered many things like you but finally got it running nicely with timings seen in my sig. Thanks to many forum users here. Feel free to check my old posts and you will find much info and especially things to avoid.

As a very important start, I'm sorry to highlight that CMW32GX4M2C3000C15 is not officially compatible with x470 taichi, reference to link https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X470%20Taichi/index.asp#MemoryPR

Hence, you will need to use Dram calculator by 1usmus to find the near correct timings, software = https://www.overclock.net/forum/13-amd-general/1640919-new-dram-calculator-ryzena-1-5-1-overclocking-dram-am4-membench-0-7-dram-bench.html

in order for it to calculate, you'll need a readout of your ram by Thaiphoon Burner http://www.softnology.biz/files.html and export to Dram calculator.

Those software are to help find out "roughly" the "possible" suitable timing for your ram. Some manual editing changes to the calculator results "MUST" be required. Cannot simply follow the calculator 100%. Not always works, but I'd say >90% correct, so just trial and error 1 digit here and there will be enough to compensate to find the best parameters.

Last tip, in Dram calculator, write down all results in V1, V2, Debug, then combine all highest/loose timing/numbers, I put my bet it should work 100%, I hope. It did for my case. If any section are tight timing then it might not boot/etc/etc/etc. So go safe go slow then slowly tune to be tighter and faster.

Good luck.

-------------
x370taichi@3.50gen4
AX750 Optane900P SN770
3800x PosdonZro4 BarrowPWM-17w>420x140x28
XFX SWFT319 6900XT
MSI RX560 LP to get Fluid Motion BlueskyFRC 75hz


Posted By: gizmic
Date Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 6:08pm
i can only think of 3 possible things assuming its not a hardware problem

1, change it in msconfig > boot > advance options > maximum memory

2, ram is being used as page files

3, the bios allocates it due to the igp settings

-------------


Posted By: stigzler
Date Posted: 06 Jul 2019 at 4:24am
Originally posted by cx5 cx5 wrote:

Hi @stigzler

I'm a Corsair ram user CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 and suffered many things like you but finally got it running nicely with timings seen in my sig. Thanks to many forum users here. Feel free to check my old posts and you will find much info and especially things to avoid.

As a very important start, I'm sorry to highlight that CMW32GX4M2C3000C15 is not officially compatible with x470 taichi, reference to link https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X470%20Taichi/index.asp#MemoryPR

Hence, you will need to use Dram calculator by 1usmus to find the near correct timings, software = https://www.overclock.net/forum/13-amd-general/1640919-new-dram-calculator-ryzena-1-5-1-overclocking-dram-am4-membench-0-7-dram-bench.html

in order for it to calculate, you'll need a readout of your ram by Thaiphoon Burner http://www.softnology.biz/files.html and export to Dram calculator.

Those software are to help find out "roughly" the "possible" suitable timing for your ram. Some manual editing changes to the calculator results "MUST" be required. Cannot simply follow the calculator 100%. Not always works, but I'd say >90% correct, so just trial and error 1 digit here and there will be enough to compensate to find the best parameters.

Last tip, in Dram calculator, write down all results in V1, V2, Debug, then combine all highest/loose timing/numbers, I put my bet it should work 100%, I hope. It did for my case. If any section are tight timing then it might not boot/etc/etc/etc. So go safe go slow then slowly tune to be tighter and faster.

Good luck.


Brilliant response thanks! I've got a dark as getting the figures from Dram calculator. However, not sure about what to change in the bios. Scary stuff. For example. Do I just set xmp to auto? Also, there is prudently a setting where my team comes up (ish - the 3200 verfion). Do I NOT set this and change everything else manually?

Do the dram calculator values map directly onto the bios?

Amy advice and guidance anyone could give much appreciated. Great forum!


Posted By: xhue
Date Posted: 06 Jul 2019 at 5:47am
OP, please don't get me wrong, I mean no offense with the next lines.

If you are really asking these questions I strongly recommend you just swap the RAM for a compatible kit. If top speed is not the goal there are some cheap and decent kits out there. You will save youself tons od hours tinkering and questionable stability in the long run.

What others are telling is true. It is plausible to belive you may het the RAM working. Is the price worth it, though?


Posted By: stigzler
Date Posted: 06 Jul 2019 at 6:08am
None taken - just so ware of all options - what's the recommended 16GB sticks for this mobo (if I were to buy again).

Last time I trust PC parts picker!


Posted By: xhue
Date Posted: 06 Jul 2019 at 4:36pm
You can find all compatible kits here -> https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/X470%20Taichi/index.asp#MemoryPR

Depending on your budget I suggest you aim for one of the G.Skill kits (2x16GB). F4-3200C15D-32GTZR for example is a very fast kit which would also cover your capacity needs. It is also one with a stellar Ryzen conpatibility record. There are cheaper variants too, if you prefer them.


Posted By: stigzler
Date Posted: 06 Jul 2019 at 7:44pm
Decided to cut my losses and buy the F4-3200C15D-32GTZR.

I'll just have to sell the corsairs on fleahbay... :(

As a matter of interest - if I were to buy another 32Gb of the same ram in the future - would this work at rendering the machine @ a 64 Gb system?

Thanks all for your help


Posted By: xhue
Date Posted: 06 Jul 2019 at 9:05pm
In theory - yes, albeit on a slower speed. G. Skills are of top quality and you will have a great chance to OC 4 sticks to higher speeds.

You may want to check the link I provided earlier. There they mention if the given kit is tested for 4 DIMM configuration.

RAM is quite sought after these days, so I think you will be able to sell them for a pretty penny. Don't forget to mention your old RAM has a lifetime manufacturer warranty. It also helps for increased price upon resale.

Best of luck and happy rendering!


Posted By: xhue
Date Posted: 06 Jul 2019 at 9:07pm
P.S. just a reminder - always clear CMOS when you tinker with your system.


Posted By: stigzler
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2019 at 2:55am
Originally posted by xhue xhue wrote:

In theory - yes, albeit on a slower speed. G. Skills are of top quality and you will have a great chance to OC 4 sticks to higher speeds.

You may want to check the link I provided earlier. There they mention if the given kit is tested for 4 DIMM configuration.

RAM is quite sought after these days, so I think you will be able to sell them for a pretty penny. Don't forget to mention your old RAM has a lifetime manufacturer warranty. It also helps for increased price upon resale.

Best of luck and happy rendering!


Thanks - good advice - I'll put something like "used once due to incorrect ram for system" or something. The lifetime guarantee is a good pitch on the Corsair.


Posted By: stigzler
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 4:15am
Originally posted by xhue xhue wrote:

P.S. just a reminder - always clear CMOS when you tinker with your system.


Half way there! So installed the new ram and now windows seeing 32GB. Yay!

However - I think this ram is running under speed. See CPU-ID below:



Shouldn't it be around 1600 for 3200 memory?

I'm not sure what to change in the uefi. Here's my settings for this:



When I tried with this, it didn't boot properly - restarting several times - I'm assuming setting the freq at 3200 it didn't like, thus resetting to 2133 for the successful boot?

I also tried XMP setting 2.0. Again, it restarted several times and defaulted to 1066

Lastly, the DRAM Profiles only has "auto" and and entry for Corsair 3200Hz Ram.

IN short: how do I need to set DRAM timing configuration to get 3200HZ on this machine?

thanks


Posted By: gizmic
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 10:16am
qvl only run these at 2933 you better start from there


-------------


Posted By: stigzler
Date Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 2:39pm
Thanks - any other advice? I have no idea what to do with that...


Posted By: gizmic
Date Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 3:30pm
depends if you want safe timings of the xmp and drop to 2933 or trying RDC and try each mem speed that works

in case you are wondering i'm using 3200 timings with 3466 @ 1.41v but yeah 8X2 kits are way easier to play around with

-------------


Posted By: kschendel
Date Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 11:06pm
Enable XMP and then before you exit BIOS, manually set the memory speed. I'd start at 2666 and work your way up. You probably won't get 3200 MT/s but you can hope for somewhere 3000-ish, give or take. Current 16 GB sticks are dual-rank and that's extra work for the memory controller.


Posted By: xhue
Date Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 12:51am
This is a bit odd. Mobo should easily reach even 3400-3600 with a compatible RAM, which I believe you now have.

16GB per stick is still challenging for Ryzens but still...

I have no ASRock mobos with me right now but what the guys are ssying is true.

The goal is to try and replicate the timings manually in BIOS, with only the speed is left at 2933.

If XMP won't put the higher voltage you should put it yourself. Also, bumping the SoC voltage a notch up is doing wonders.

If possible, read the RAM model with a program of ypur choice. Let's make sure you got the right stuff you intended to buy. Then run Ryzen Mem Calculator and post back the values it suggests.



Posted By: gizmic
Date Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 1:14am
i've yet to bench stable on 3600 on 8x2 kits with really relaxed timings

so i forced my kits with the only stable speed and work my way down on the timings till i reach cl 14 3466



-------------


Posted By: stigzler
Date Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by xhue xhue wrote:

This is a bit odd. Mobo should easily reach even 3400-3600 with a compatible RAM, which I believe you now have.

16GB per stick is still challenging for Ryzens but still...

I have no ASRock mobos with me right now but what the guys are ssying is true.

The goal is to try and replicate the timings manually in BIOS, with only the speed is left at 2933.

If XMP won't put the higher voltage you should put it yourself. Also, bumping the SoC voltage a notch up is doing wonders.

If possible, read the RAM model with a program of ypur choice. Let's make sure you got the right stuff you intended to buy. Then run Ryzen Mem Calculator and post back the values it suggests.



Thanks again. OK - examined RAM with Thaiphoon Burner and imported them into DRAM Calculator. I've attached the results.

One thing I do notice from the typhoon report is a top freq of 1067MHz?? Also, the "JDEC DIMM Label" is "16GB 2Rx8 PC4-2133-UB1-10" - implying a top speed of 2133?? I'm not very knowledgable about these things so most likely wrong!

Would appreciate any advice going forward.

DRAM Screenshots:





Typhooon report:



Posted By: gizmic
Date Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 4:47pm
1067 is the max jedec in it the xmp is the one below it you should export the typhoon settings and import it to RDC if the R-XMP function in RDC doesn't work

-------------


Posted By: stigzler
Date Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 4:49pm
Thanks, but what's "RDC"?


Posted By: gizmic
Date Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 9:38pm
ryzen dram calculator

-------------


Posted By: stigzler
Date Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by gizmic gizmic wrote:

1067 is the max jedec in it the xmp is the one below it you should export the typhoon settings and import it to RDC if the R-XMP function in RDC doesn't work


OK - but I that's exactly what I did.

It's getting a little off topic - with the results above, what do I do next to get 2933?


Posted By: xhue
Date Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 11:55pm
I really have no clue what the BIOS layout is, but the idea is simple.

You should try and put those 15-15-15-etc. timings in your memory settings in BIOS. Then put 2933 for speed. Basically, we want the XMP settings but with speed dropped to 2933 instead of 3200.

For now I want to run the sticks at 2933 with the default timings. As it's evident by now that you're out of luck for auto (fire-and-forget) settings, we can try tighter timings later on.

Can you please try and dig any BIOS page that looks memory-related and poat it here? Without any clue of your BIOS layout you'll need to be our eyea.



Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net