Forum Description: Question about ASRock AMD motherboards
URL: https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=11834
Printed Date: 01 Sep 2024 at 8:26am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 3600x, X470 Taichi, b-die, unstable memory, WHEA
Posted By: mmf
Subject: 3600x, X470 Taichi, b-die, unstable memory, WHEA
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 12:26am
Both on bios 3.43 and 3.40 I am getting WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR in Windows when using Trident-z 3200C14 on or below XMP setting, with the X470 Taichi. I am also using the latest NVIDIA drivers 431.36.
Only with heavy underclocking of the memory I can do basic tasks, however the pc still freezes on boot occasionally and can even freeze when entering the BIOS.

Things I have tried: Increased soc and dram voltage, manual and auto clocks, increased primary and secondary timings, different VDDP voltage, disconnecting non-essential hardware, several windows re-installs, latest AMD X470 chipset drivers from 7/7, re-seat CPU, re-seat GPU.

All connected hardware and memory ran fine for a year on my ryzen 2600, on the same mainboard, and with a higher 3466c14 memory clock.
The cpu is cooled by water with a 420mm 6-fan radiator and is not running hot.

Does anyone else have this issue or is there a compatibility issue with b-die, G.skill Trident-z, or x470 ASRock boards?
I believe the memory controller could be defective and will otherwise RMA the cpu, however the clocks and boost tot 4.4Ghz are fine and I can complete Cinebench R20 runs.

Replies:
Posted By: Dewey
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 2:42pm
I have similar issues my 3700x, X470 Taichi with b-die RAM installed. I am also unable to have anything installed in the second PCI-e slot without getting BSD or infinite boot cycle. Running the RAM at the lowest speed and removing the second GPU helps with stability but I'm not sure if it is a defective CPU or a bios issue at this point.

Posted By: Ray62
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 3:49pm
You can also try the set the GPU in PCIe Gen2 mode.
And take a look at the different forums in the net: It is a common problem. Beta state

-------------
Asrock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming Offline
Under test:
MSI X570_MEG_ACE | AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | Scythe Mugen5 | 2x16GB F4-3200C14D-32GTZ@3466 | ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by Dewey Dewey wrote:

I have similar issues my 3700x, X470 Taichi with b-die RAM installed. I am also unable to have anything installed in the second PCI-e slot without getting BSD or infinite boot cycle. Running the RAM at the lowest speed and removing the second GPU helps with stability but I'm not sure if it is a defective CPU or a bios issue at this point.

I have tried switching my GPU to another PCIe slot but this didn't work for me. ASRock is looking into this issue, I suggest you also contact support so they can get more info?

Originally posted by Ray62 Ray62 wrote:

You can also try the set the GPU in PCIe Gen2 mode.
And take a look at the different forums in the net: It is a common problem. Beta state

Thanks I will try this when I install the 3600x again. Now waiting for ASRock and the Ryzen 2600 is working stable with the same hardware.

Posted By: KungFuSpaghetti
Date Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 1:14am
Just signed up today as I'm having the exact same issue. Tried both bios versions and both bsod constantly, in game or just in windows.   Get hard locks as well as the PC just rebooting out of nowhere.

I'm hearing this is an nvidia issue as per:
https://www.pcgamesn.com/nvidia/amd-ryzen-3000-bsod-whea-error

However, also like you guys turning xmp off and running the ram at 2400 default it's not crashed on memtest64, aida64 extreme stress test or unigene superposition on loop. Need to try pubg again later as that was a guaranteed BSOD every single game last night.

My specs are:
X470 taichi
R9 3900x (noctua d14)
8 pack team group screened bdie 3200cl14
Palit gtx 1070ti (running aio)
Sea sonic focus plus 650w gold
x3 1tb Adata SSD, x3 Kingston 240gb SSD.
Windows 10 version 1903 (new install)
All AMD chipset and motherboard drivers and latest GPU drivers.

Posted By: Jakob84
Date Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 2:37am
Same issues... 3.40, 3.43 dosnt matter.
Only 2033 mhz speed ram spd will post.... dram timings change or dram profile settings result in post failure 100%

sometimes secondary gpu stays active and no light on primary/active state on primary pcie. resulting in no display of course.

everything worked flawless with my ryzen 1600.

put in 3700x and everything is sh*t again kinda reminds me of ryzen 1 gen launch only worse.

my specs
cpu: Ryzen 3700x
mobo: Taichi 470
ram: G.Skill tridentz cl 14 3200mhz
gfx: 2 x vega 64
psu: 1300w seagate
win 10 64 bit

Posted By: KungFuSpaghetti
Date Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 2:53am
Certainly looking like a combination of 2 issues. Poor bios combined with this nvidia GPU issue.

The whea_uncorrectable_error BSOD is nvidia driver related, the rest of the crashing looks like bios... brilliant.

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 4:01am
Originally posted by KungFuSpaghetti KungFuSpaghetti wrote:

Certainly looking like a combination of 2 issues. Poor bios combined with this nvidia GPU issue.

The whea_uncorrectable_error BSOD is nvidia driver related, the rest of the crashing looks like bios... brilliant.

Have you tried setting PCIe to gen 2?
Also on the [URL=https://www.overclock.net/forum/11-amd-motherboards/1627407-asrock-x370-taichi-overclocking-thread-531.html]overclockers.net x370 Taichi thread[/URL] the same problems are reported with memory and whea, as well as [URL=https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cbqnbo/3800x_installed_in_asrock_x370_mild_overclock_and/]here[/URL] with a 3800x on x370 Taichi.

Posted By: Loddan
Date Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 3:43pm
Ye, so.

It seems we're using the Agesa Combo 1.0.0.1 which seems to have AMD's NDA lock for ram-memories running at max 2400 Mhz.

That's why we can't use XMP profiles etc. It's not that our hardware doesn't support it.

Asrock fucked up.

They need to release Combo1.0.0.3 so we can use XMP on our RAM.

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 8:24pm
OK at least got a little hope now
found this...

https://www.techpowerup.com/257201/bios-rom-size-limitations-almost-derail-amds-zen2-backwards-compatibility-promise

made a ticket with my issues.. really hope the bios updates comes sooner rather then later.

Posted By: Rpeck
Date Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 12:05am
Having the same issue, with a 3800X has anyone found a solution? I put in a support ticket with ASRock, but no reply yet.

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 12:17am
Originally posted by Rpeck Rpeck wrote:

Having the same issue, with a 3800X has anyone found a solution? I put in a support ticket with ASRock, but no reply yet.

They are testing a new bios through support which fixed memory clock issues for me.
However I still get WHEA errors and resets in Windows and also during boot. Hopefully a fix from AMD for these asap.

Posted By: Max9R
Date Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 6:33am
Same problem for me, I was thinking the 3600X was just a dud, but started finding that I wasn't the only one with this problem.

BIOS 3.43 is fine with a 2400G (bought to hold me over to Ryzen 3000), G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14D 2x16GB kit, Radeon 5700XT, and runs perfectly stable. Put in the 3600X and it's a complete joke. BSOD constantly, Watchdog timeouts, driver power state failure, WHEA uncorrectable errors, etc...

I've been building PC's for 30+ years, this is by far the worst upgrade experience I've ever had. BTW it's not just ASRock either, I have an MSI B450 Tomahawk and it's just as bad if not worse. Half the time it won't even post with their latest BIOS version 7C02v18.

I have a 3900X coming on Tuesday, and it appears, nothing to put it in. That said, if it magically works in both boards, then my 3600X is getting RMA'ed but some how I seriously doubt that's going to happen.

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 12:33am
How do I get ahold of this BIOS? Is it hosted as BETA bios anywhere?

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 12:35am
Originally posted by mmf mmf wrote:

Originally posted by Rpeck Rpeck wrote:

They are testing a new bios through support which fixed memory clock issues for me.
However I still get WHEA errors and resets in Windows and also during boot. Hopefully a fix from AMD for these asap.

How do I get ahold of this BIOS? I opened a ticket a couple days ago via email and haven't heard anything back, besides the auto-reply

Posted By: Ray62
Date Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 1:44am
https://shop.jzelectronic.de
is often offering (beta) bios files which are not seen on the official page(s).

And J Zis also member of this forum here.

-------------
Asrock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming Offline
Under test:
MSI X570_MEG_ACE | AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | Scythe Mugen5 | 2x16GB F4-3200C14D-32GTZ@3466 | ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 1:51am
Also check pm.
I'm going to try this possible temp. solution:
https://www.overclock.net/forum/28041614-post5356.html

Posted By: AsRx470Tc
Date Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 5:22am
Originally posted by Max9R Max9R wrote:

Same problem for me, I was thinking the 3600X was just a dud, but started finding that I wasn't the only one with this problem.

BIOS 3.43 is fine with a 2400G (bought to hold me over to Ryzen 3000), G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14D 2x16GB kit, Radeon 5700XT, and runs perfectly stable. Put in the 3600X and it's a complete joke. BSOD constantly, Watchdog timeouts, driver power state failure, WHEA uncorrectable errors, etc...

I've been building PC's for 30+ years, this is by far the worst upgrade experience I've ever had. BTW it's not just ASRock either, I have an MSI B450 Tomahawk and it's just as bad if not worse. Half the time it won't even post with their latest BIOS version 7C02v18.

I have a 3900X coming on Tuesday, and it appears, nothing to put it in. That said, if it magically works in both boards, then my 3600X is getting RMA'ed but some how I seriously doubt that's going to happen.

They pulled the 3.43 version of from the site for a while, and then it appeared back again later.. i think they removed support for 3000 series from it because on a Ryzen 3 1200 i used to update my board i could see it, but on my 3600X it doesn't show up at all. Thanfully i only went for 3.40, no such problems on that.

So if you were fast enough to update it with the older release, that might be the problem.

Just speculations tho...

Posted By: edlebert
Date Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 5:39am
For those with 3200C14 ram experiencing issues, try 3000. It worked for me.

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 5:44am
The temp. fix posted at overclock.net is working so far, for me up to 3066 memory clock with 1533 IF clock!

https://www.overclock.net/forum/11-amd-motherboards/1627407-asrock-x370-taichi-overclocking-thread-536.html
See the post from Boxman.

Manually select the Infinity Fabric clock to match your memory. This fixes BSOD for me, but only up to 3066/1533. At 3400/1700 my system resets again and there is a big performance loss in Cinebench.

I can also send beta bios over PM if needed.

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 5:55am
I can boot 48GB (2x16GB & 2x8GB sticks) of memory on 3200MHz with the settings on the image below. 3.40 bios, 3600X CPU.

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 5:56am
....lowering any of those settings will result in a BSOD

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 7:28am
Originally posted by AsRx470Tc AsRx470Tc wrote:

I can boot 48GB (2x16GB & 2x8GB sticks) of memory on 3200MHz with the settings on the image below. 3.40 bios, 3600X CPU.

I can boot at 3200 CL14 etc... it's just super unstable. I haven't tried leaving XMP off, just seemed like a ridiculous step to have to take, but I'm going to try it and see what happens. Clearly based on everything I've seen this is a RAM related issue.

Anyway, I just did a fresh Windows install with my 2400G again... my earlier attempts at trying to get the 3600X to run stable completely destroyed my Windows install. I have backup images but I'll start with a fresh install and see what happens.

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 7:36am

I can boot at 3200 CL14 etc... it's just super unstable. I haven't tried leaving XMP off, just seemed like a ridiculous step to have to take, but I'm going to try it and see what happens. Clearly based on everything I've seen this is a RAM related issue.

Anyway, I just did a fresh Windows install with my 2400G again... my earlier attempts at trying to get the 3600X to run stable completely destroyed my Windows install. I have backup images but I'll start with a fresh install and see what happens.

I have ran my settings in the pic for 3-4 days doing cinebench (R15 & R20) runs over and over again and going to bios to do some changes and again cinebench repeatedly :D
No 3D loads yet..

Tho i have my test SSD install on... 1803 WIN10, maybe.. and my nvidia drivers are super old, version 397.64. Dont't play current games much so only update when there are some major security holes to plug.

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 6:38am

I have ran my settings in the pic for 3-4 days doing cinebench (R15 & R20) runs over and over again and going to bios to do some changes and again cinebench repeatedly :D
No 3D loads yet..

Tho i have my test SSD install on... 1803 WIN10, maybe.. and my nvidia drivers are super old, version 397.64. Dont't play current games much so only update when there are some major security holes to plug.

Okay so yeah, running with XMP off seems to have done the trick. They clearly need a BIOS update with improved RAM support (sound familiar hehe...). I may try plugging in your settings and see what happens. My 3900X arrives today, a day early yay! Now that I seem to have some stability I may give it a run in this board too, before my X570 Gigabyte arrives.

Now if only I could get my MSI B450 Tomahawk to post with this chip...

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 12:41pm
On my x470 taichi bios i can only choose gen 1 or 2 pcie express speed. Rly odd. Anyone else has that problem?

Rly make my crossfire rly yikes, severly bottlenecked running it on gen 1 or 2. pretty useless acually so forced to run with 1 card.

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 4:43pm
Have you tried the temp fix from overclock.net on page 2?

Also with soc voltage increase of +.05 and Infinity Fabric VDDG of 1.125 I can run at 3133/1566IF without WHEA BSOD, but still not XMP and above.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/11-amd-motherboards/1627407-asrock-x370-taichi-overclocking-thread-536.html

Date Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 2:06am

Have you tried the temp fix from overclock.net on page 2?

Also with soc voltage increase of +.05 and Infinity Fabric VDDG of 1.125 I can run at 3133/1566IF without WHEA BSOD, but still not XMP and above.

I haven't tried that. But I have successfully implemented the timings suggested by AsRx470Tc and seem to have a stable system at the moment. Hopefully we get a new BIOS soon that sorts this stuff out.

Date Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 3:06am
My board had an interesting flip last last night.. Plugged a front panel USB 2.0 cable to the internal header, and a logitech mouse receiver into the other end. Whole board just flipped on me, went into a boot loop, every time like 20sec just fans shouting at full speed, then it did some memory training i guess, then repeat for 3 times, every time that super long time with no post codes and just fans shouting. Then it resetted the memory to 2400 and memory timings menu item was grayed out...

Couple times applied my saved bios profile and rebooted, and the same thing repeated (fans shouting long time, multiple reboots). Three times applied the settings again, and after that it just rebooted and stayed "on" with fans spinning super slow, no post codes, it just hanged there, forever.. no reaction to power button or reset button. Had to kill it from the power supply back switch. That continued for a 45min or something.

Tried to remove ALL M.2 and sata drives, USB cables and memory sticks and even my graphics card.. no change. It just hummed slowly with no life. Almost throwed it into the wall and ripped all my (wery short) hairs out of my head.

Went away for an hour and then went back to it, all i did different is i pressed the power button like 3-5 seconds (even after fans started spinning) and then it magically jumped to life and started giving me post codes.. After that i plugged all my stuff back and applied my bios profile (with 3200 memory) and it has not been acting since..

Like... WTAF!! :D

Date Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 3:10am
Oh yeah, i even changed my power supply at some point, no effect :D And they both are seasonic units.

Date Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 4:43am
Ouch,

Well they released a pre-release bios through support with AGESA AM4 1.0.0.3 and all memory and WHEA issues are fixed for me, although the initial boot was not smooth.
You can test it over pm.

I was able to achieve a great memory overclock of 3200>3733 at 1.475V DRAM :)

Date Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 5:05am

Ouch,

Well they released a pre-release bios through support with AGESA AM4 1.0.0.3 and all memory and WHEA issues are fixed for me, although the initial boot was not smooth.
You can test it over pm.

I was able to achieve a great memory overclock of 3200>3733 at 1.475V DRAM :)

Oh, it has 1.0.0.3 in it, you didn't really answer me on pm when i asked for some info. Now i am more interested.

Have to go and take like 50 photos of all my settings before doing that... main reason i haven't done it yet :D

That bios is so unorganised and scattered all over.. compared to intel/asus boards that i have been using last 15 years :D

Had this setup working... for 6 days or so, and it is still on a motherboard box on my livingroom table. Not trusting it enough to take any of my intel rigs apart. Might take several weeks before i get to that point :D

Date Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 5:43am

My board had an interesting flip last last night.. Plugged a front panel USB 2.0 cable to the internal header, and a logitech mouse receiver into the other end. Whole board just flipped on me, went into a boot loop, every time like 20sec just fans shouting at full speed, then it did some memory training i guess, then repeat for 3 times, every time that super long time with no post codes and just fans shouting. Then it resetted the memory to 2400 and memory timings menu item was grayed out...

...Like... WTAF!! :D

Crazy story man! I really hope we get an official BIOS soon that fixes this crap. In the meantime, I'm working okay. Truth be told, my Daughter is going to end up with this board in her machine as I can't get her MSI B450 Tomahawk to even post with the 3600X. I'll be getting my new Gigabyte X570 on Friday and I sure hope it works as expected. I see they have already put out a new BIOS for it since launch. I'm guessing all the AIBs will be neglecting the 400 series boards for a bit while they sort out any issues with the new high dollar 500 series variants.

Not a peep from MSI, haven't heard anything from ASRock on a ticket I cut last week... combined they helped fuel my decision to getting a new Gigabyte board.

Date Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 5:58am

I'm guessing all the AIBs will be neglecting the 400 series boards for a bit while they sort out any issues with the new high dollar 500 series variants.

Not a peep from MSI, haven't heard anything from ASRock on a ticket I cut last week... combined they helped fuel my decision to getting a new Gigabyte board.

Yeah the new income is in the new boards, so main effort will go there. Older ones come after that, if ever.

I'm trying to switch AMD/Asrock only because all the side channel attack crap on intel, and asus has done some idiotic board design choices past 2-3 years. More stupid decorative sh*t, less and less connectivity options for sata/usb while prices keep going up.

X470 Taichi was the only X470 board (in its price range) that doesn't look like a christmas tree and had 8 sata ports and all internal USB headers i need (and some other stuff i wanted) :D

Date Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 11:28pm

Yeah the new income is in the new boards, so main effort will go there. Older ones come after that, if ever.

I'm trying to switch AMD/Asrock only because all the side channel attack crap on intel, and asus has done some idiotic board design choices past 2-3 years. More stupid decorative sh*t, less and less connectivity options for sata/usb while prices keep going up.

X470 Taichi was the only X470 board (in its price range) that doesn't look like a christmas tree and had 8 sata ports and all internal USB headers i need (and some other stuff i wanted) :D

Good news, I got a beta bios from ASRock 3.46, it's a major improvement on the RAM stability. I can now just use XMP with my F4-3000C16. I haven't tried my F4-3200C14, but even the 3000mhz stuff was a nightmare just using XMP. So some positive steps forward. Looks like I'll keep this board for my Daughter's PC. She's pretty excited about it hehe... If you want it, I can share it with you. mmf has it as well and actually shared it with me but I had already got from ASRock.

Date Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 11:47pm

Good news, I got a beta bios from ASRock 3.46, it's a major improvement on the RAM stability. I can now just use XMP with my F4-3000C16. I haven't tried my F4-3200C14, but even the 3000mhz stuff was a nightmare just using XMP. So some positive steps forward. Looks like I'll keep this board for my Daughter's PC. She's pretty excited about it hehe... If you want it, I can share it with you. mmf has it as well and actually shared it with me but I had already got from ASRock.

Yeah i also have it, flashed it ~12 hours ago. Menu items have been organized and named so much better compared to 3.40. Only thing i lost is cpu fan temperature hysteresis setting, otherwise looking much better.

The fan isn't constantly ramping up and down without it now tho.

Slightly weird behavior on restarts, board sort of dies abruptly before restarting. But its an unreleased beta bios, so to be expected.

Date Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 6:09am
How did you come in contact with asrock? I tried to make a ticket with my issues some days ago.. no response.

I have ram stability issues like everyone else and canonly select gen 1 and 2 pcie speed in bios :/

Date Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 6:11am

Yeah i also have it, flashed it ~12 hours ago. Menu items have been organized and named so much better compared to 3.40. Only thing i lost is cpu fan temperature hysteresis setting, otherwise looking much better.

The fan isn't constantly ramping up and down without it now tho.

Slightly weird behavior on restarts, board sort of dies abruptly before restarting. But its an unreleased beta bios, so to be expected.

Oh okay great. I've also seen the strange reboot behavior. The other thing I've noticed is that my CPU doesn't boost as high as it did on 3.43. I'm only getting an all core boost of 4.1Ghz whereas I used to see 4.25Ghz with my 3600X. Also max single core is down from 4.4Ghz to 4.275Ghz. Have you noticed anything like that?

Date Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 6:12am
Originally posted by Jakob84 Jakob84 wrote:

How did you come in contact with asrock? I tried to make a ticket with my issues some days ago.. no response.

I have ram stability issues like everyone else and canonly select gen 1 and 2 pcie speed in bios :/

Took them about 4 days to get back to me, I'm guessing they're overloaded with tickets atm...

Date Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 7:55am

Oh okay great. I've also seen the strange reboot behavior. The other thing I've noticed is that my CPU doesn't boost as high as it did on 3.43. I'm only getting an all core boost of 4.1Ghz whereas I used to see 4.25Ghz with my 3600X. Also max single core is down from 4.4Ghz to 4.275Ghz. Have you noticed anything like that?

Havent been paying much attention to clockspeeds after the bios update, been troubleshooting sound driver/windows issues...

Did couple cinebenc test runs few minutes ago to see whats happening. Multi thread clocks were hanging around 4100-4125.. i think they were like 4150-4175 before. Not hitting any limiters according to Ryzen Master.
Single thread clocks were maxing at 4275-4300, before they were at 4350-4400. Bench scores are still about the same tho.

CB15 MT=1620 ST=194
CB20 MT=3690 ST="AINT NOBODY GOT TIME FOR THAT!"

Date Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 8:42am

Havent been paying much attention to clockspeeds after the bios update, been troubleshooting sound driver/windows issues...

Did couple cinebenc test runs few minutes ago to see whats happening. Multi thread clocks were hanging around 4100-4125.. i think they were like 4150-4175 before. Not hitting any limiters according to Ryzen Master.
Single thread clocks were maxing at 4275-4300, before they were at 4350-4400. Bench scores are still about the same tho.

CB15 MT=1620 ST=194
CB20 MT=3690 ST="AINT NOBODY GOT TIME FOR THAT!"

My CB20 MT was as high as 1710 with 3.43 RAM manually set to 3000mhz with loose timings. With 3.46 the best I'm getting is 1630'ish with XMP profile enabled and overall tighter timings. Oh and my gaming benchmarks are all slightly worse too, not surprising considering the lose in clock speed though. I've messaged support on it.

Posted By: Gh0st
Date Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 9:16am
I am testing the new 3.46 bios. Can anyone else on it check if pcie is stuck on 8x mode in gpu-z? Even under load it is not ramping up to 16x.

Date Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 9:30am

My CB20 MT was as high as 1710 with 3.43 RAM manually set to 3000mhz with loose timings. With 3.46 the best I'm getting is 1630'ish with XMP profile enabled and overall tighter timings. Oh and my gaming benchmarks are all slightly worse too, not surprising considering the lose in clock speed though. I've messaged support on it.

You propably ment CB15? (Stupid forum, can't edit anything...)

I am on an aircooler (Scythe Fuma with only one fan) with quite conservative fan profiles (silence is gold), according to your earlier scores and clocks i would say you are running something better for cooling :D

Date Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 10:03am
Originally posted by Gh0st Gh0st wrote:

I am testing the new 3.46 bios. Can anyone else on it check if pcie is stuck on 8x mode in gpu-z? Even under load it is not ramping up to 16x.

Working on my system

Try manually setting it in bios
Advanced > AMD PBS > PCIe x16/x8 Switch = 1X16

Date Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 10:13am
You can't have anything in PCIE_3 slot if i understand correctly.. Not even a wifi card, a sound card or PCI-E Storage. It will always default both slots to x8 if there is something in PCIE_3 slot.

Date Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 10:22am
Yeah I have tried setting it manually and also cleared cmos. I have a nvme ssd in the first m2 slot above the gpu but no other devices.

Maybe a bug with the nvme slot? I don't think it is supposed to effect the 16x, will only drop the sata port if you use the second m2 slot.

Or possibly a hardware issue as I only noticed this today by accident so it could have already been an issue. Hopefully a bios update will fix it but the performance hit of 8x to 16x is pretty much non-existent so if it still works fine then so be it. fingers crossed.

Date Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 10:32am

Yeah I have tried setting it manually and also cleared cmos. I have a nvme ssd in the first m2 slot above the gpu but no other devices.

Maybe a bug with the nvme slot? I don't think it is supposed to effect the 16x, will only drop the sata port if you use the second m2 slot.

Or possibly a hardware issue as I only noticed this today by accident so it could have already been an issue. Hopefully a bios update will fix it but the performance hit of 8x to 16x is pretty much non-existent so if it still works fine then so be it. fingers crossed.

I also have an NVMe drive in the top slot. It has its own x4 lane straight to the CPU if i have understood correctly. So no connection to x16 slots.

Second M.2 slot disables the bottom PCI-E slot. No effect on sata ports on this board.

I would suspect chipset drivers/gpu drivers/windows power profile on your system.

Date Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 11:35am
Thanks for your help with this. I ended up cleaning the contacts on the gpu and reseating it. Has fixed the issue.

Date Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 11:50am

You propably ment CB15? (Stupid forum, can't edit anything...)

I am on an aircooler (Scythe Fuma with only one fan) with quite conservative fan profiles (silence is gold), according to your earlier scores and clocks i would say you are running something better for cooling :D

Ugg... actually meant CB20 but had a 1 where a 3 should have been. So 3710 on 3.43 and only 1630'ish with F4-3000C16 on 3.46. Funny thing is now I'm testing with F4-3200C16 and getting worse results in the 3560 range. BIOS still needs work apparently hehe...

Date Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 12:03pm

Thanks for your help with this. I ended up cleaning the contacts on the gpu and reseating it. Has fixed the issue.

NICE! Sometimes its something stupidly simple like that.

And no problem!

Date Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 12:06pm

... .... BIOS still needs work apparently hehe...

No sh*t!

Posted By: Xaltar
Date Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 1:55pm
Here we go again, new CPU launch, teething problems and bugs

It seems more and more common for us as consumers to end up playing the role of beta testers on AMD's new launches. Fortunately, with Ryzen the inconvenience is typically worth the early headaches. This launch in particular seems a bit more problematic given the addition of PCIe 4.0, whether the board supports it or not, the functionality comes from the CPU. A lot has changed in the architecture. Be patient, AMD will get it all worked out and sorted. It may take a month or so before the bulk of the issues we are seeing are cleared up.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 12:21am
So looks like 3.46 has issues with my NVMe drives. It's completely corrupted my Windows install on mine, twice now. I can't even complete a system restore from Acronis recovery mode. I have to boot off my SATA SSD (which works perfectly fine btw..), then recover and Image to the NVMe in Windows. Shutdown disconnect the SSD then boot of the NVMe. IF I leave the SSD connected the system will always boot from it no matter what boot order have setup in the BIOS which is a new problem for me with 3.46 too. Anyway, after a couple start ups the Windows install is completely corrupted and won't boot anymore. While I'm in Windows it slowly starts having random issues with app crashes etc... and get's worse from there.

Anyone experiencing this?

Date Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 2:23am
No issues with nvme/ssd drives here at all. Have problems with the x16 lanes and ram stability.

hm have you tried to switch pcie gen speed? maybe it wil do something? I can only choose between gen 1 and 2 which is odd.

Date Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 3:15am

So looks like 3.46 has issues with my NVMe drives. It's completely corrupted my Windows install on mine, twice now. I can't even complete a system restore from Acronis recovery mode. I have to boot off my SATA SSD (which works perfectly fine btw..), then recover and Image to the NVMe in Windows. Shutdown disconnect the SSD then boot of the NVMe. IF I leave the SSD connected the system will always boot from it no matter what boot order have setup in the BIOS which is a new problem for me with 3.46 too. Anyway, after a couple start ups the Windows install is completely corrupted and won't boot anymore. While I'm in Windows it slowly starts having random issues with app crashes etc... and get's worse from there.

Anyone experiencing this?

I have only been using my sata ssd with windows on it for testing, they are just so much easier to connect to other systems for disk image swapping. Were just going to try an install to nvme drive.. might have to take a backup image right after install :D

So far i have only had the nvme drive for random data.

Date Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 3:36am
Thanks for the responses, although I don't think my drive is the problem I'm going to throw it in another box and see what happens.

Posted By: edlebert
Date Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 5:52am
OMG your drive is not the problem. The BIOS is I guarantee.

Date Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 10:24am
Originally posted by edlebert edlebert wrote:

OMG your drive is not the problem. The BIOS is I guarantee.

Yeah... not my drive, it's fine. I guess I'll stick with a SATA SSD for now.

Date Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 9:55pm
I had to disable the SATA controller for Windows setup to be able to reconfigure first boot on NVME. Perhaps this can help.

Also getting lower clocks on 3.46, but switched to manual 4.3 overclock until next AGESA.

Posted By: bamu
Date Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 4:01am
Hey just installed a 3600 with the x470 Taichi and 3600 CL16 Trident-Z Ram.

Can't post anything above 2100MHz, does someone have the 3.46 (support) beta bios? I'd love to try it out.

Any attempts to manually time, adjust auto times in ryzen master, or adjust XMP profiles cause infinite hangs (no debug codes, and no boot).

Date Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by bamu bamu wrote:

Hey just installed a 3600 with the x470 Taichi and 3600 CL16 Trident-Z Ram.

Can't post anything above 2100MHz, does someone have the 3.46 (support) beta bios? I'd love to try it out.

Any attempts to manually time, adjust auto times in ryzen master, or adjust XMP profiles cause infinite hangs (no debug codes, and no boot).

Hey, check your inbox/PM's I sent you a link to download it. Post back so we know how it works for you. I've had some decent success, but I still have stability problems with it. They have work to do that's for sure.

In contrast... I got sick of all the problems, so I picked up a Gigabyte Aorus Master X570. Plugged in my 3900X and it's been perfect. Not a hit of instability, everything just works flawlessly. I hope ASRock gets this fixed soon because man Zen 2 is awesome when it's running properly, and I really want to get my daughters rig with the 3600X running at it's full potential. 3.46 is much better than 3.43 but one example of an issue I was having is I have to limit the RAM to 3000Mhz or seems to cause issues with her NVMe drive and the OS gets corrupted. I haven't spent a ton of time on it since I got my machine up and running though. I just found that slowing the RAM down stopped the problem. I'll probably spend some more time on it tomorrow now that I'm pretty much done getting mine setup.

Date Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 10:24pm
Hey.

the 3.46 beta bios works really well for me.

It fixed my pcie issues so i can use crossfire and activated gen 3 pcie support again.

also able to use xmp profile 3200 with my g.skill 3200.

Huge improvements prior to 3.43.

only downside for me is rebooting fails in first try.

Date Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 10:27pm
Will try to push for 3600mhz on ram on bios 3.46... dont wanna push my luck right now still testing stability.

Date Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 12:32am

I also have an NVMe drive in the top slot. It has its own x4 lane straight to the CPU if i have understood correctly. So no connection to x16 slots.

Second M.2 slot disables the bottom PCI-E slot. No effect on sata ports on this board.

I would suspect chipset drivers/gpu drivers/windows power profile on your system.

I only get 16x in PCIE slot 1, slot 2 drops to 8x. Are you getting 16x in slot 2 as well?

Posted By: gizmic
Date Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 1:09am
slot 2 will never run in 16x

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net