Forum Description: Question about HTPC&Gaming Barebone&Others
URL: https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=12597
Printed Date: 27 Apr 2024 at 3:09am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: (Solved)Deskmini A300 Hyper-V_boot failure
Posted By: metis-support
Subject: (Solved)Deskmini A300 Hyper-V_boot failure
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 5:37pm
tested with a few A300M with 3400G: After installing HyperV Feature, the reboot of windows keeps failing.

When you disable virtualization support in BIOS, you can start up windows again, but ofc HyperV isnt usable.

Please advice.

Replies:
Posted By: markollides
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 11:37am
I am experiencing this same issue with the Deskmini A300W

This is on a clean install of Windows 10 Pro 1903 with drivers installed.
Drivers used are those provided on the ASRock product support web page except for chipset and CPU/graphics drivers which are those provided on AMD's website.

CPU is Ryzen 3400G
RAM is DDR4 2666
SSD is Intel 660P 1TB NVMe
BIOS is latest as of this posting - v3.50

After installing the Hyper-V feature and restarting, Windows goes into a boot loop which results in entering recovery mode automatically after a couple failed boot attempts.
Disabling the option to automatically restart on system failure results in the system halting on a black screen indefinitely as it attempts to boot.
Using system restore in recovery mode to roll back to a point prior to the Hyper-V installation restores the system to functional.

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 1:40pm
Just an update here.
After using BlueScreenView to look over memory dumps generated from the system crashes during boot loop, I found that the crashes are related to the files, "dxgkrnl.sys" and "atikmpag.sys" - these files are related to directx and AMD display driver respectively.

I performed a clean install of Windows 10 Pro release 1903 on the system with no network connected to avoid automatic driver installation.
I performed the Hyper-V install and it completed successfully.
I was able to restart and launch Hyper-V.

At this point I connected the machine to the network/internet and, after a few moments, the screen went black and system crashed/restarted into recovery mode after a few more attempts to reboot.
I suspect the behavior that is occurring is a BSOD error but no image can be displayed on the screen when it occurs as it is the display driver that is failing.

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 1:53pm
Another update:
I have booted the machine into safe mode, entered "Device Manager," and manually changed the display driver from "AMD Radeon(TM) RX Vega 11 Graphics" to "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter."
After doing this, I was able to restart in normal mode successfully and launch Hyper-V Manager.

Hopefully this is something that AMD and/or Microsoft can fix soon with an update to the Vega display drivers or to Hyper-V.

I will post back here if I discover anything additional that can be helpful.

Posted By: mukhsin
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 4:24am
Any updates about this issue?

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 1:04pm
The technical support team from ASRock PMed me with a link to a firmware upgrade which fixed my issue.

I will paste the contents of their message here:
"Dear Markollides,

Thanks for posting your query to ASRock forum.
This is technical support team from ASRock.

Regarding your question about Hyper-V, kindly try with BIOS 3.53 that can be downloaded from the following link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uweq8slGj9FQHcgcP16tdPwDTtrxTpTB

Please use the instant flash method to flash the BIOS.

If there are further questions, please let us know.

With thanks,
ASRock TSD"

Date Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 5:16am
I have updated my bios to 3.60 but still have the same issue

1. I enabled svm from bios, then save it and restart
2. I enabled hyper-v in windows, then restart / shut down
I have tried both restart and shut down but I got the same result, it displayed black screen (the monitor had indicated if it had been connected to hdmi)

Then I forced it to off
I couldn't get into bios before pulling my nvme and plugging my windows media installer

Btw, thanks a lot for your response

Posted By: amedas
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 10:36pm
the same issue happens on my deskmini.
I haven't noticed this page and already updated BIOS ver 3.60 from 3.50, so hesitate to downgrade BIOS to ver 3.53.(I don't know if BIOS can downgrade or not.)
ASRock, please help us.

Posted By: pedox
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by markollides markollides wrote:

The technical support team from ASRock PMed me with a link to a firmware upgrade which fixed my issue.

I will paste the contents of their message here:
"Dear Markollides,

Thanks for posting your query to ASRock forum.
This is technical support team from ASRock.

Regarding your question about Hyper-V, kindly try with BIOS 3.53 that can be downloaded from the following link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uweq8slGj9FQHcgcP16tdPwDTtrxTpTB

Please use the instant flash method to flash the BIOS.

If there are further questions, please let us know.

With thanks,
ASRock TSD"

thank you that update bios file worked for me, and successful installing Docker.

but i have another issue when i try to boot again, it goes black screen and need reset CMOS using 2 pin for booting normally, usually it's happened after your reboot / shutdown your pc and try turn on again.

My setup
- Ryzen 3400G
- 8GBx2 DDR4 2666 RAM
- AMD Graphic Driver v 19.10.2

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 11:22am
I have the same issue
I believe the problem comes from the driver
I tried to install Ubuntu (dual boot with Windows) and I installed docker there and everything run without any issue

I hope Asrock fix this issue soon

Posted By: smphayward
Date Posted: 20 Mar 2020 at 10:58pm
Same problem on my end as well.

I enabled Hyper-V on Windows so I could set up Kubernetes. On reboot, it cycles through black screen, crash, reboot. Can't enter setup.

I had to short the CMOS. THEN I could get into setup and disable virtualization. Once I did that, I was able to boot Windows just fine. But it means that I don't have CPU virtualization.

Configuration:

- A300W (bios 3.50)
- Ryzen 3400g
- Windows 10 (Version 10.0.18362.720)
- Radeon v19.10.2

BlueScreenView shows it being caused by dxgkrnl.sys and the crash address is ntoskrnl.exe+1c2380.

As always, atikmpag.sys is showing up as a guilty party. I've had that thing BSOD me several times - even before enabling Hyper-V. This driver seems to cause a LOT of problems for a lot of people.

I'm working from home due to the pandemic so I can't really afford to risk my computer on a BIOS update or Radeon upgrade. Plus, it sounds like updating to 3.60 didn't fix the problem for others.

Posted By: KWottrich
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 12:24am
I'm having the same issue. Why is this post marked as Solved? Did someone discover a fix for the issue? Or is disabling the GPU driver considered a "solution"?

Posted By: pimpmycode
Date Posted: 05 May 2020 at 5:04am
Hi,
I have the same issue.
New A300, updated bios to 3.6
3200G
Installed Hyper-V Server 2019, all went fine. Adjusted settings for Hyper-V like the hostname which needed a restart and now it boots into a black screen each time. No bios, or anything I can control. Looks like the keyboard is frozen too.

Why is this thread marked solved, this seems to still exist?

Posted By: Hammerfest
Date Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 5:13am
The issue is still here, I recommend everyone make a support ticket.

This is literally a faulty product as-is!

Posted By: Paulbert
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 2:33am

I found that if I change the UMA frame buffer size back to "Auto" then my system boots again with Hyper-V enabled.

Posted By: Hammerfest
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 5:35am
Interesting, that didnt work for me.

NO MATTER

They just released a BETA with fix's for that as well as AGESA/Module updates to the 1.0.0.4B package.

Flashing tonight, testing till the weekend, then if all goes well updating clients systems, BETA or not...

Posted By: 3735943886
Date Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 1:04pm
Solved with new beta firmware 3.60H.
Hyper V, sandbox, Edge app guard all work fine.
Everyone who has similar problem, try new firmware.

Date Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 1:06am
This issue HAS NOT been fixed in firmware v3.70. At fist, I thought it had been. I enabled Virtualization in the BIOS and turned on the Virtual Machine Platform feature in Windows. Installed the Windows Subsystem for Linux. It seemed to be working.

Then, Windows crashed. Reboot. Black screen. I had to short the CMOS jumpers and disable Virtualization.

Configuration:

- A300W (bios 3.70)
- Ryzen 3400g
- Windows 10 Version 1909 (OS Build 1198)
- Radeon v20.2.2

I have not tried 3.60H Beta but I would have expected 3.70 to have included this fix since 3.60H supposedly fixes it.

I am not a fan of installing beta BIOSes but I may have no choice.

Date Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 10:35pm
Update: I downgraded to 3.60K Beta and my system now seems to be able to support Virtual Machine Platform and Windows Subsystem for Linux in Windows 10 Enterprise.

(I had mistakenly referred to 3.60H in my previous post.)

I've rebooted my machine several times with no sign of the black screen issue. I ran Windows Subsystem for Linux v2 + Ubuntu 20.04 LTS yesterday for the entire afternoon with no problems.

Fingers crossed that I can set up Docker and Kubernetes.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net