Print Page | Close Window

Taichi 570 not even getting an ERR code

Printed From: ASRock.com
Category: Technical Support
Forum Name: AMD Motherboards
Forum Description: Question about ASRock AMD motherboards
URL: https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=13153
Printed Date: 23 Jul 2024 at 1:08am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com


Topic: Taichi 570 not even getting an ERR code
Posted By: theoperator
Subject: Taichi 570 not even getting an ERR code
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 3:22pm
Hi

I bought a new Taichi 570 board the other day and I went to build it and what happens is it powers the board, but when turned on the fan (just one of the two) spins for 2 seconds and then it stops.

The PSU seems like it switches the board to not boot or something. It makes a click. I haven't used the PSU before but seems like its what it does.

I have removed the video card to use onboard graphics, changed RAM modules and different slots; and reseated the CPU. But same issue. PSU is plugged to CPU, motherboard

On a final note, I have the board on the box and not in the case. Will this board not operate on a test bed and needs to be in the case? I did rotate the board to stand upright but to no avail.

MB: Taichi 570
CPU: 3950x
Ram: Corsair CMK32GX4M2K3600C16
PSU: Seasonic Ultra Prime 850w

I get no error codes even from the Dr.

Thank you.



Replies:
Posted By: Ray62
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 8:52pm
First: Every board should run on a test bed, i always do that this way.
Did you plug in all required PSU cables to the board? I think you did.

- Switch off and unplug the PSU from the wall
- Use one RAM stick in slot A2
- Make a CMOS-Reset
- Plug PSU and start.

BTW: There is no onboard graphics. The video outputs from the board only are working with a Ryzen APU.

-------------
Asrock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming Offline
Under test:
MSI X570_MEG_ACE | AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | Scythe Mugen5 | 2x16GB F4-3200C14D-32GTZ@3466 | ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE


Posted By: theoperator
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 9:23pm
Thanks for the reply

I do not know the exact procedure for the Cmos reset via the button. But I tried doing that last night by holding it down (the cmos button at the back) while I turned on the power via the switch on the board. However I did not have my video card in after doing that so maybe it has changed some result.

I will try it again and put the video card back in.

I have the 2070 Super Asus strix OC. This card is massive and the only way to get it out is pulling it out with the lock clip.

Thanks, will revert back later.


Posted By: theoperator
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by Ray62 Ray62 wrote:

First: Every board should run on a test bed, i always do that this way.
Did you plug in all required PSU cables to the board? I think you did.

- Switch off and unplug the PSU from the wall
- Use one RAM stick in slot A2
- Make a CMOS-Reset
- Plug PSU and start.

BTW: There is no onboard graphics. The video outputs from the board only are working with a Ryzen APU.


Thanks for the reply

I do not know the exact procedure for the Cmos reset via the button. But I tried doing that last night by holding it down (the cmos button at the back) while I turned on the power via the switch on the board. However I did not have my video card in after doing that so maybe it has changed some result.

I will try it again and put the video card back in.

I have the 2070 Super Asus strix OC. This card is massive and the only way to get it out is pulling it out with the lock clip.

Thanks, will revert back later.


Posted By: Ray62
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 10:01pm
CMOS-Reset only while the PSU is unplugged!
It is described in the manual and yes, the CMOS button at the back is made exactly for that!

-------------
Asrock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming Offline
Under test:
MSI X570_MEG_ACE | AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | Scythe Mugen5 | 2x16GB F4-3200C14D-32GTZ@3466 | ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE


Posted By: theoperator
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 12:50am
Originally posted by Ray62 Ray62 wrote:

CMOS-Reset only while the PSU is unplugged!
It is described in the manual and yes, the CMOS button at the back is made exactly for that!


Thanks.

Tried that and still same issue. Just goes to boot, one fan (I have two, Noctua D15) spins for a second or two and the fan turns off. Video card fan goes to go on and does the same.

Thanks.


Posted By: theoperator
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 5:09am
Hi, anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.


Posted By: Xaltar
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 5:22am
No codes usually means something is not connected properly and the system isn't
even reaching the first stage of the POST process (each code is associated with
part of the POST process). More often than not it is because the 8pin CPU power
is not connected, is not the correct cable or not seated properly. Double check
to be sure you have the right one connected (4+4 CPU power not 6+2 PCIe power).

If that checks out and you still have the same issue pull the CPU and check the pins.
You can also try powering on the system with no RAM installed and see if that
gives you a code. Let us know how it goes.

-------------


Posted By: theoperator
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 5:34am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

No codes usually means something is not connected properly and the system isn't
even reaching the first stage of the POST process (each code is associated with
part of the POST process). More often than not it is because the 8pin CPU power
is not connected, is not the correct cable or not seated properly. Double check
to be sure you have the right one connected (4+4 CPU power not 6+2 PCIe power).

If that checks out and you still have the same issue pull the CPU and check the pins.
You can also try powering on the system with no RAM installed and see if that
gives you a code. Let us know how it goes.


Thanks a lot for the reply. I am heading to bed now so I will give those a try tomorrow. I was thinking of disassembling and rebuilding it. Though I do not have much connected and I redone the CPU anyway.

The CPU cable I am using is correct and the CPU pins I checked and were ok. I have two sticks of ram and all slots and sticks did it but I will try with none.

Going to see if I can get my hands on an older Ryzen CPU to see if I can cancel that out.

Thanks will let you know how I go.


Posted By: theoperator
Date Posted: 18 Dec 2019 at 5:38am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

No codes usually means something is not connected properly and the system isn't
even reaching the first stage of the POST process (each code is associated with
part of the POST process). More often than not it is because the 8pin CPU power
is not connected, is not the correct cable or not seated properly. Double check
to be sure you have the right one connected (4+4 CPU power not 6+2 PCIe power).

If that checks out and you still have the same issue pull the CPU and check the pins.
You can also try powering on the system with no RAM installed and see if that
gives you a code. Let us know how it goes.


Hi, I have just looked on my board and it says the defaul bios is 1.70 (I think) and it says for 3950 on this link that it needs to be 2.10 and above? Would this be why its not initiating POST?

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X570%20Taichi/#BIOS

So only way to get it to work is by getting my hands on an older AM4 cpu?

Thanks.


Posted By: Ray62
Date Posted: 18 Dec 2019 at 6:43am
You do not have to use an old AM4 CPU.
But it can be true that the board needs a newer bios for the 3950x.

You can update to the latest bios of the board with the flash back function. See manual, chapter BIOS Flashback Button.
The Flashback feature also could be used without installed CPU and is made for such situations (the flash procedure will be done with a little microcontroller on the board)!
Try it!

-------------
Asrock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming Offline
Under test:
MSI X570_MEG_ACE | AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | Scythe Mugen5 | 2x16GB F4-3200C14D-32GTZ@3466 | ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE


Posted By: theoperator
Date Posted: 18 Dec 2019 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by Ray62 Ray62 wrote:

You do not have to use an old AM4 CPU.
But it can be true that the board needs a newer bios for the 3950x.

You can update to the latest bios of the board with the flash back function. See manual, chapter BIOS Flashback Button.
The Flashback feature also could be used without installed CPU and is made for such situations (the flash procedure will be done with a little microcontroller on the board)!
Try it!


Thanks. I did that but unfortunately have the same issue :(

It did finish the flashback and to no avail it just wont initiate POST.

I will try reseating the CPU for the 3rd time then.


Posted By: gizmic
Date Posted: 18 Dec 2019 at 6:23pm
even without plugging the cpu it will post codes i think the problem is connections or the board is a dud


-------------


Posted By: theoperator
Date Posted: 18 Dec 2019 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by gizmic gizmic wrote:

even without plugging the cpu it will post codes i think the problem is connections or the board is a dud


When I updated the firmware it will flash the ERR lcd but it goes straight off with the rest.

I will try removing the CPU if it will at least give me that then. If it does the same and you say will give me an error code; then it will be the board.

This time of the year sucks due to Xmas and getting exchange or RMA etc.

Thanks for the reply btw.


Posted By: theoperator
Date Posted: 18 Dec 2019 at 7:10pm
I don't get any error code taking the CPU out of it, as well as the video card as well.

This is definitely the case; that it seems like a dead board? Thanks.


Posted By: theoperator
Date Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 10:45pm
Hi guys.

It was actually a dead PSU. Imagine that. A Seasonic DOA.

Thanks.


Posted By: Xaltar
Date Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 11:23pm
It's rare but it happens

Glad you got it sorted in the end, enjoy the system

-------------


Posted By: theoperator
Date Posted: 26 Dec 2022 at 5:41pm
When I look at this thread, I completely forgot I had this isssue when I bought the system and its very possible I have another dead PSU again on my hands.

Theoretically, if I have a dead CPU, will the booard still illuminate the Power and Reset quick buttons on the actual board and give me a error code? As I don't get both.

At first I was thinking maybe my CPU is dead, but perhaps the PSU...again?




Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net