X470 Taichi bios 1.60 won't post...

Printed From: ASRock.com
Category: Technical Support
Forum Name: AMD Motherboards
Forum Description: Question about ASRock AMD motherboards
URL: https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=14624
Printed Date: 18 Oct 2024 at 5:49pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: X470 Taichi bios 1.60 won't post...
Posted By: beekermartin
Subject: X470 Taichi bios 1.60 won't post...
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 10:38am
I ordered a brand new X470 Taichi and 3700X. I quickly realized my mobo needs a bios update for the 3700x to work. That is very annoying since it requires a cpu to update the bios. I tried a few local computer repair shops and no one had a cpu I could borrow nor could they update the bios for me. I friend of mine mailed me a 2400g that according to Asrock's site is compatible with all bios versions. It won't post but it does show a post code of 00. The 3700x didn't show any post codes. I then found another friend that has a 2200g in his cheap HP computer. I tried his 2200g and it still won't post. I get the same 00 code as with the 2400g. I then tried the 2400g in his HP computer and it worked.

So I know the 2400g I have is a good working cpu but it isn't working in the Taichi X470. I guess my question is should the 2200g or 2400g be working in the Taichi X470 with bios version 1.60? According to Asrock's website they should be working. Does that mean the motherboard is defective? I am currently working on getting a "boot kit" from AMD to try. Maybe the cpu they send will post and I can finally update the bios? Since the 2400g should be working I am leaning towards the motherboard is bad.

Why did Newegg send me a brand new motherboard with such an old bios? I don't know but it sure is frustrating. I have spent hours trying to figure out why this board won't post. I have never had an issue like this with any Intel builds I have done. This is also my first Asrock board and needless to say it isn't going well.

Replies:
Posted By: ThreeDee
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 2:53pm
https://www.asrock.com/support/faq.asp?id=334

Clear CMOS and then Make sure you are seating the CPU properly ..?

-------------
|Ryzen 5 5900|ASRock X570 Taichi-BIOS 4.60|2x16GB HyperX Predator RGB 3200@3600 1:1 IF|ASRock RX 6700XT|2 x PCIe 4.0 M.2 Drives for OS & Games|850 WTT Seasonic 80+ Titanium PSU|Noctua NH-D15|

Posted By: Xaltar
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 3:26pm
Disconnect the power from the system, pull the CMOS battery and let it sit for
10mins. Make sure your 8pin CPU power cable is connected to the board and that it
is the correct connector (4+4 not 6+2), install a single stick of RAM in slot A2,
replace the battery and reconnect power and power on with just the CPU, GPU (if
you are using the 2200g/2400g then you don't need a GPU) and one stick of RAM.
Leave the system powered on for 5 mins to ensure it is getting through the RAM
training process. If you see a 00 code that remains on the display, power off
and reseat the CPU. 00 is a CPU detection error code so either it isn't getting
power (8pin CPU power not connected), the CPU is not supported (the 2200g and
2400g are supported), the BIOS is glitched (clear CMOS to fix) or the board is damaged.

More often than not, a full CMOS clear is all that's needed. Trying to boot
with an unsupported CPU can glitch the BIOS out and make it unable to recognize
any CPU.

Let us know how you get on, good luck.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 9:33pm
Thank you for the responses.

I have reset the CMOS countless times. I have done it with the power supply disconnected, connected, on, off, held it for 15 seconds, etc. I even did it by jumping the two connectors on the board instead of the button on the back. It didn't help. I have also pulled the battery and let it sit for well over 10 minutes. I tried booting with only 1 stick of ram in every slot and I even tried with no ram installed and I still get the same 00 post code with the 2400g installed. Again, with the 3700x installed it doesn't give any post codes. I have removed and reinstalled the CPU countless times. It is seated properly.

AMD responded and they are sending me their "boot kit" with a Athlon 200GE CPU. Hopefully it doesn't take long to receive it and it will post with the 200GE. If it doesn't post with that then I assume the board is bad.    

Posted By: damric
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 10:17pm
I'd send it back to newegg for a new board. I got an X470 Taichi last week month from the egg and it already had Matisse BIOS flashed. Not sure why they sent you old stock that wasn't updated. They are supposed to update the old ones and put a new sticker on it that says "Ryzen 3000 Ready"

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by damric damric wrote:

I'd send it back to newegg for a new board. I got an X470 Taichi last week month from the egg and it already had Matisse BIOS flashed. Not sure why they sent you old stock that wasn't updated. They are supposed to update the old ones and put a new sticker on it that says "Ryzen 3000 Ready"

Very interesting that you say that. The box does have a "Ryzen 3000 Ready" sticker on it. I am assuming the bios is 1.60 because that is what is written on the bios chip. Since I can't get it to post I have no idea what the bios actually is.

Date Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 1:10am
That is very interesting. So with the 3700x you don't get a code at all but the
the two 2000 series APUs both flag a 00 error. Have you tried powering on with
the 3700x and a GPU and just left it on for 10 mins or so? Sometimes the first
POST can take a while, up to 5 mins I have observed building systems.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 1:37am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

That is very interesting. So with the 3700x you don't get a code at all but the
the two 2000 series APUs both flag a 00 error. Have you tried powering on with
the 3700x and a GPU and just left it on for 10 mins or so? Sometimes the first
POST can take a while, up to 5 mins I have observed building systems.

I did leave it on for some time a couple of times with no difference. I am thinking about removing it from the case tonight to eliminate a short or ground issue. I doubt that is the issue but it can't hurt to try. When I do that tonight I will leave it on for at least 20 minutes with both the 2400g and the 3700x installed. The thing is it power cycles after about 15 seconds. So I don't think leaving it on will make any difference.

Date Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 8:28am
I removed the motherboard from the case and installed only the CPU and 1 stick of ram in the A2 slot. When I tried the 3700X I installed a video card of course. With the 2400G I did not install a video card. I even removed the 970 Evo. I had nothing else connected to the board besides the 24 pin power cable, 8 pin and 4 pin CPU power cables and the case headers. Nothing else besides what I mentioned above. I got the exact same results. With the 2400G installed I get a post code of 00 and it power cycles every fifteen seconds or so. I left it powered on for over 20 minutes but there was no change. I did the same thing with the 3700X installed. With the 3700X there is no post codes but I left it powered on for over 20 minutes as well. No difference.

So either the bios on this board is corrupted or it isn't compatible with either the 2400G or the 3700X. Hopefully AMD ships me their "boot kit" soon. Once I try that my only option will be to RMA the board if it doesn't work. I am already past the 30 day window to return it to Newegg. I started the RMA process with ASRock but I would like to try to the AMD boot kit first to see if that works. I doubt it will since the 2400G should work with every bios the X470 Taichi has available but it is not working.

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2020 at 8:29am
I received the "AMD Boot Kit" which came with a Athlon 200GE CPU. I got the same results. Post code 00 and it won't post. I have to RMA the board. I am beyond frustrated and pissed off. This is my first AMD build in probably 20 years and it has been a disaster. I know Ryzen offers excellent performance but I wish I would have stuck with Intel.

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2020 at 8:50am
Ouch, I am sorry to hear that beekermartin. At this point I have to agree, time
to RMA the board. I suspect the retailer may have performed a bad flash when
updating the BIOS. If it stated Ryzen 3000 ready on the box but wouldn't POST with
any of the CPUs you tried that is the only conclusion I can come to. If it had been
flashed by ASRock it would have had a new version sticker put on the BIOS chip or
at the very least, the version number would have been sharpied out (according to my
sources at ASRock).

Good luck with the RMA, it sucks to have to deal with this kind of nonsense.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2020 at 10:12am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

Ouch, I am sorry to hear that beekermartin. At this point I have to agree, time
to RMA the board. I suspect the retailer may have performed a bad flash when
updating the BIOS. If it stated Ryzen 3000 ready on the box but wouldn't POST with
any of the CPUs you tried that is the only conclusion I can come to. If it had been
flashed by ASRock it would have had a new version sticker put on the BIOS chip or
at the very least, the version number would have been sharpied out (according to my
sources at ASRock).

Good luck with the RMA, it sucks to have to deal with this kind of nonsense.

I don't see an easy way to post photos here. My bios chip, if it is the bios chip, has P1.60 written on it and a blue/purple marker dot has been drawn on it. Maybe that is the way to know the bios has been updated?

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2020 at 3:19pm
I am guessing it was the retailer or somewhere in the supply chain. This isn't
me defending ASRock or trying to pass blame. ASRock check the checksum of the
ROM and test the boards before repackaging and shipping out to stores/warehouses.
It is always possible a bad board managed to sneak through somehow but with BIOS
flashing it would be almost impossible as they use proprietary EEPROM flashers that
basically do everything automatically, there is little room for human error at the
factory.

The newer X570 Taichi has BIOS Flashback which lets you flash the BIOS even
without a CPU. Unfortunately, it tends to be a high end feature given how much
cost it adds to the product. You can't flash a ROM without a CPU and memory of
some kind so to do this manufacturers have to integrate some kind of rudimentary
CPU and RAM. I would have liked to have seen AMD integrate these into their
chipsets so board manufacturers could support the feature across the entire range
of AM4 boards. A basic single core ARM with some basic RAM wouldn't have been
hard to find space for.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 3:05am
It took longer than it should have but I finally have an RMA number. ASRock requires me to pay to return the brand new motherboard that is defective. I don't feel like I should have to pay that but it appears I don't have a choice.

I called and was giving the name of a supervisor that will setup an advanced return so I can get a replacement motherboard faster. I'll have to leave a deposit which is expected.

Has anyone had any experience doing this with an ASrock RMA? This is my first ASrock motherboard. Needless to say it has not gone well.

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 11:57am
So I finally heard back from a "supervisor" that will authorize an advanced replacement motherboard. I already shipped the defective motherboard out but I still wanted to speed up the process as fast as possible so I can finally get this system built. After a few back and forth emails she sends me a PayPal link to pay $210.00 for the advanced replacement deposit. I quickly paid it and emailed her to let her know I had. She replies with "Perfect, I will start the process of the advancement. Please note that I do have to give our technicians 2-3 business days to test the replacement unit prior to shipping the item out."
I was like WTF?! You don't have replacement boards ready to ship? Why did I bother to pay the "advanced replacement deposit" when the board I am returning will arrive early next week?

Needless to say I am not happy with the ASrock RMA process. This is my first ASrock motherboard that I recommended to a friend for a system I am building. After this experience it will by my last ASrock recommendation! What a complete clusterfuck!

Granted I should have tested everything within the Newegg return policy time and I accept that. With that said I didn't have everything to test it within that time which is my friends fault. I will not make this mistake again when I agree to build a system for someone. I will require they order everything necessary to test the basics within the retailers return window or else I won't build it.

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 1:09am
I figured I would update this thread. I received the replacement motherboard and it is working properly. That is the good news.

The bad news is the replacement motherboard is used/refurbished. There was thermal paste around the socket, the thermal pad under the M.2 heatsink has dirt in it and the board itself was not clean with obvious signs of use. Not only did it take almost a month to get a replacement board but the replacement board I received is used!

I also still haven't received my "advanced replacement" $210.00 deposit yet, They received the defective board last Wednesday late morning and I am still waiting for the refund.

I will never use or recommend ASrock ever again. I have used MSI, Gigabyte and ASUS and I have never had an experience like this.

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 1:12am
Originally posted by beekermartin beekermartin wrote:

I figured I would update this thread. I received the replacement motherboard and it is working properly. That is the good news.

The bad news is the replacement motherboard is used/refurbished. There was thermal paste around the socket, the thermal pad under the M.2 heatsink has dirt in it and the board itself was not clean with obvious signs of use. Not only did it take almost a month to get a replacement board but the replacement board I received is used!

I also still haven't received my "advanced replacement" $210.00 deposit yet, They received the defective board last Wednesday late morning and I am still waiting for the refund.

I will never use or recommend ASrock ever again. I have used MSI, Gigabyte and ASUS and I have never had an experience like this.

I can't edit the above post but I did receive and email saying my $210.00 deposit has been refunded. I am happy that has been done.

Posted By: ThreeDee
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 9:33am
Not a good experience for you with ASRock's products/services .. even though the board appears to be used, hopefully you at least received everthing that is supposed to come with a retail unit.

-------------
|Ryzen 5 5900|ASRock X570 Taichi-BIOS 4.60|2x16GB HyperX Predator RGB 3200@3600 1:1 IF|ASRock RX 6700XT|2 x PCIe 4.0 M.2 Drives for OS & Games|850 WTT Seasonic 80+ Titanium PSU|Noctua NH-D15|

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 7:09am
It was definitely not a good experience. Receiving a DOA product can happen. This isn't my first and won't be my last. How ASRock handled the replacement could have been vastly improved.

Again, I take responsibility for not forcing my friend to order everything necessary to test the system within the return window of the retailer. If I would have known the motherboard was defective within the first 30 days of receiving it I could have simply returned it for a replacement. I won't make the same mistake again.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net