Forum Description: Question about ASRock AMD motherboards
URL: https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1463
Printed Date: 17 May 2024 at 11:17am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: issues with asrock 990fx killer
Posted By: Tomlintm
Subject: issues with asrock 990fx killer
Date Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 3:16am
my PC is having a really bad hard lockup with no bsod randomly thru out the day and i did over clock my north bridge from 2200 to around 2800 with stock voltages which did cause random bsod and forgot about it but after i put it back to stock speeds the bsod screen gone away and i may have a malfunctioning north bridge so im curious can the north bridge cause system lockups with out bsod

so i did some test after i had some time to actully focus lol

i replaced my memory with good memory i stole from my gf pc lol but still locked up so i put my memory back in and then i got a new laptop hdd to test my desktop with and used acronis to copy my ssd to the hdd which was very successful i might say didnt think it would work but it did but i got immediate results from the new drive. i checked the event logs to see when the last time it froze up and what do i see File System Filter 'npsvctrig' (10.0, ??015????0????9T21:40:23.000000000Z) has successfully loaded and registered with Filter Manager. right after start up and no system freeze up idk if this is to early in my test but i think my ssd is trashed which every test i ran on it says its heathy but im going to leave my desktop on for atleast a week with out restarting unless i have that will be a full out test of the new drive

But i spook to soon it locked up on me over night with the new drive with the same file system filter so now im testing it with windows 8 then upgrade 8.1 from windows 10 to see if the issues tranfers from os to os on another drive if so my mobo is bad but if it doesnt then i would suspect the ssd has failed unless im wrong with that therey

after some test with the new hdd with 8.1 its still locking up idk what else to check

CPU: AMD FX8350
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO w/ 120mm fans
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer
Memory: G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) Running at 1600Mhz
HDD #1: Samsung SSD 840 Series 120gb (Windows 10 Home 64bit)(test HD#1:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236498" rel="nofollow - WD Blue 500GB Windows home 8.1 64bit)
HDD #2: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (storage)
GPU: 2X Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3gb Dual-X OC Edition idle core 500mhz memory 1500mhz load 1020mhz memory 1500mhz
PSU: Rosewill LIGHTNING-1000 1000W
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST
Case: Rosewill THOR V2
Keyboard: Redragon ASURA K501 USB Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Redragon M601 CENTROPHORUS-2000 DPI Gaming Mouse

Replies:
Posted By: wardog
Date Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 4:04am
Are you running with the latest BIOS available for download?

If not, flash the latest and reply back if this continues afterwards.

Date Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 4:12am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Are you running with the latest BIOS available for download?

If not, flash the latest and reply back if this continues afterwards.

yes im using 1.50

Date Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 4:23am
Hmmm, stabbing in the dark here, ok?

What versions of Windows are yoou using? Home, Pro, etc etc

2800? Clap Gadzooks man. What were you thinking?

Pull the power, and do the LONG CMOS CLEAR. Pull batt, jumper etc etc

Date Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 4:27am

Hmmm, stabbing in the dark here, ok?

What versions of Windows are yoou using? Home, Pro, etc etc

2800? Clap Gadzooks man. What were you thinking?

Pull the power, and do the LONG CMOS CLEAR. Pull batt, jumper etc etc

im using windows 8.1 home and my ssd which im not using at the moment has windows 10 home on it and i already did all that from the beginning to make sure everything was reset and working properly

and i to tell you the truth idk i was dumb lol

Date Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 4:59am
I forgot to include:

32bit x86 or 64bit x64?

Date Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 5:00am

I forgot to include:

32bit x86 or 64bit x64?

64 bit i did include all the info you are asking in the post lol

Date Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 5:29am
Originally posted by Tomlintm Tomlintm wrote:

I still don't see where, but hey ....... I know now.

Is your 16GB(4x4GB), one 16GB(4x4) Kit, two 8GB(2x4) Kits, or random sticks?

Check that the BIOS is setting the proper memory voltage for whatever Sniper you have.

Setting them using their XMP Profiles in the BIOS?

One more, but before I'd like to know just what memory Kits you have there.

Date Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 5:54am

I still don't see where, but hey ....... I know now.

Is your 16GB(4x4GB), one 16GB(4x4) Kit, two 8GB(2x4) Kits, or random sticks?

Check that the BIOS is setting the proper memory voltage for whatever Sniper you have.

Setting them using their XMP Profiles in the BIOS?

One more, but before I'd like to know just what memory Kits you have there.

I

The memory kit is 4x4gb and the bios saya its set to 1.5v which is what the sticks are rated for and i havent set the xmp profile its all stock timings

Posted By: PetrolHead
Date Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 6:58am
Try lowering your memory speed to 1333 MHz and make sure you use the SPD values for the timings. This is why:

If that seems to help, then you should probably still run Passmark's Memtest86 to check the memory sticks work as they should.

-------------
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit

Date Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 8:05am
Originally posted by PetrolHead PetrolHead wrote:

Try lowering your memory speed to 1333 MHz and make sure you use the SPD values for the timings. This is why:

If that seems to help, then you should probably still run Passmark's Memtest86 to check the memory sticks work as they should.

Ok whats this graph mean and whats the test go to solve

Date Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 9:19am
It means that your FX-8350 supports RAM clock speed of 1600 MHz with four sticks only if it's single rank memory. If it's dual rank (couldn't find out if it is or not), the highest supported RAM clock speed is 1333 MHz.

The point of running the test isn't really to solve anything. Since your problems may be memory related, I just think it would be a good idea to double-check that the RAM is working as it should - if lowering the RAM speed helps, that is. You can of course run it in any case. If it makes your system crash, maybe the logfile will give you some additional insight on the root cause of the instability.

-------------
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit

Date Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 9:48am

It means that your FX-8350 supports RAM clock speed of 1600 MHz with four sticks only if it's single rank memory. If it's dual rank (couldn't find out if it is or not), the highest supported RAM clock speed is 1333 MHz.

The point of running the test isn't really to solve anything. Since your problems may be memory related, I just think it would be a good idea to double-check that the RAM is working as it should - if lowering the RAM speed helps, that is. You can of course run it in any case. If it makes your system crash, maybe the logfile will give you some additional insight on the root cause of the instability.

well im sure its single rank bc the fx 4300 my wife runs it has 4 sticks off ddr3  1866 runing at 1600 stable so im sure the 8350 can easy run at 1600 but if i have to down clock my ram then that tells me my mobo is diffently trashed

Date Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 10:32am
Ah yes, you had tried the memory from that FX-4300 and it didn't improve the stability. I did some further digging and the G.Skill sticks do in fact seem to be single rank, so 1600 MHz should be okay. The limitation is not caused by the motherboard, it's caused by the FX-series memory controller (CPU-NB), which is why all FX-series CPUs have the same limitations regarding RAM speed. Just to ensure we're on the same page, I'll further point out that CPU-NB and NB are not the same thing: CPU-NB is the memory controller of your CPU while NB is the nortbridge chipset on the motherboard. It's the CPU-NB that you have overclocked, so if something is broken, it should be the CPU.

You could check the motherboard by swapping your FX-8350 for your wife's FX-4300, but that of course is a bit labour intesive... Even though you have a kit of four RAM sticks, I'd first try using only two at a time to see if that has an effect. Also, have you checked your system's temperatures and voltages with HWMonitor? Are you running your system at stock speeds at the moment?

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 10:46am

Ah yes, you had tried the memory from that FX-4300 and it didn't improve the stability. I did some further digging and the G.Skill sticks do in fact seem to be single rank, so 1600 MHz should be okay. The limitation is not caused by the motherboard, it's caused by the9 FX-series memory controller (CPU-NB), which is why all FX-series CPUs have the same limitations regarding RAM speed. Just to ensure we're on the same page, I'll further point out that CPU-NB and NB are not the same thing: CPU-NB is the memory controller of your CPU while NB is the nortbridge chipset on the motherboard. It's the CPU-NB that you have overclocked, so if something is broken, it should be the CPU.

You could check the motherboard by swapping your FX-8350 for your wife's FX-4300, but that of course is a bit labour intesive... Even though you have a kit of four RAM sticks, I'd first try using only two at a time to see if that has an effect. Also, have you checked your system's temperatures and voltages with HWMonitor? Are you running your system at stock speeds at the moment?

when i upgraded my ram i started with 2x4gb sticks and then added 2 more sticks of the same ram still froze up with both sets and im going to have to go in to my bio and see which nb i overclocked which im hoping its nof my cpu i burned up bc the 8350 isent cheap

Date Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 9:06pm
i looked in my bios and i did over clock the CPU NB but not the cpu nb voltage which was set to 1.150v

Date Posted: 11 Dec 2015 at 4:38am
so maybe this saterday since im off im going to swap out cpu and run my pc non stop of a week to see if any freezing happens

Date Posted: 11 Dec 2015 at 9:15am
That may be a good way to isolate the issue. I'm not surprised you had stability issues running the CPU-NB at those speeds on stock voltages, but I've no idea if and how that could actually damage the IMC. Increasing the clock speed without changing the voltage doesn't increase the head load that much and since the CPU-NB is located on the die, your CPU cooler should have been able to handle it.

Have I understood correctly that your system occasionally crashes even when you're not doing anything on it? You're not running Seti@home, Folding@home or anything similar? If the system crashes when it's basically idle, that's not exactly a good sign. Your temperatures and voltages are still a question mark. Have you checked both using HWMonitor? How high are the CPU and socket temps at idle and under load? What sort of case cooling do you have?

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Dec 2015 at 11:48am

That may be a good way to isolate the issue. I'm not surprised you had stability issues running the CPU-NB at those speeds on stock voltages, but I've no idea if and how that could actually damage the IMC. Increasing the clock speed without changing the voltage doesn't increase the head load that much and since the CPU-NB is located on the die, your CPU cooler should have been able to handle it.

Have I understood correctly that your system occasionally crashes even when you're not doing anything on it? You're not running Seti@home, Folding@home or anything similar? If the system crashes when it's basically idle, that's not exactly a good sign. Your temperatures and voltages are still a question mark. Have you checked both using HWMonitor? How high are the CPU and socket temps at idle and under load? What sort of case cooling do you have?

yes i leave it over night with out really doing nothing and i get on and its froze up solid having to do a hard reset i dont run folding@home or anything like that

nope i have no overheating problems period i constently monitor my temps on one of my screens with hwinfo and aida64

idle cpu runs around 99 to 104F load depends on the game anywere between 120 to 140 give or take a few degrees  and the motherboard idle 84 load cant say but its alot lower then the cpu at load lol

i have 9 fans in my case 4 120mm on the side 1 120mm on the heatsink 2 120mm on top 1 230mm
front fan and 1 140mm exhaust fan

Date Posted: 11 Dec 2015 at 11:38pm
Those temps do seem a bit high. For gaming 140F should be okay, but it's still over the often recommended 130F maximum temperature under stress testing. Even though an FX CPU may be able to take higher temperatures than older Phenom II's, your system might still not be fully stable under Prime95. Also, at idle I would've expected something around 85F, especially since there should be no issues with the case cooling. Maybe the TIM between the CPU and the heatsink is getting old or has not spread properly...

Btw, the motherboard temperature and socket temperature are two different things. The socket temperature is the CPUTIN temperature in HWMonitor and for that the often recommended maximum temperature is 158F, but again the FX CPU might be able to stay stable even at 185F. See here, for example:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/728489-FX-its-tougher-than-you-think

While your temperatures are a bit higher than what I would have expected, I don't think they're what causing the crashes. At idle even the VRM should be running cool enough. If you know of a way to make the system crash (like running Aida's stress test), you could try bumping the CPU-NB voltage slightly and see if that has an effect on stability. Also bumping the RAM voltage slightly might be worth a try, it seemed to help for someone experiencing similar issues (it might be worth reading the whole thread):

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?284441-strange-stability-issues-with-FX-8350

I'd probably start with bumping the RAM to 1.55V and then 1.6V if that doesn't help. If that's not enough, then I'd try 1.2V for the CPU-NB and 1.55V for RAM, and then again increasing RAM voltage to 1.6V if it still doesn't work.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 12:01am

Those temps do seem a bit high. For gaming 140F should be okay, but it's still over the often recommended 130F maximum temperature under stress testing. Even though an FX CPU may be able to take higher temperatures than older Phenom II's, your system might still not be fully stable under Prime95. Also, at idle I would've expected something around 85F, especially since there should be no issues with the case cooling. Maybe the TIM between the CPU and the heatsink is getting old or has not spread properly...

Btw, the motherboard temperature and socket temperature are two different things. The socket temperature is the CPUTIN temperature in HWMonitor and for that the often recommended maximum temperature is 158F, but again the FX CPU might be able to stay stable even at 185F. See here, for example:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/728489-FX-its-tougher-than-you-think

While your temperatures are a bit higher than what I would have expected, I don't think they're what causing the crashes. At idle even the VRM should be running cool enough. If you know of a way to make the system crash (like running Aida's stress test), you could try bumping the CPU-NB voltage slightly and see if that has an effect on stability. Also bumping the RAM voltage slightly might be worth a try, it seemed to help for someone experiencing similar issues (it might be worth reading the whole thread):

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?284441-strange-stability-issues-with-FX-8350

I'd probably start with bumping the RAM to 1.55V and then 1.6V if that doesn't help. If that's not enough, then I'd try 1.2V for the CPU-NB and 1.55V for RAM, and then again increasing RAM voltage to 1.6V if it still doesn't work.

i been looking thru the temps after you said there a bit high and i noticed there is 4 different cpu temps in hwinfo

cpu 0 : 80-84F idle
cpu 0 package which is the same as cpu 0
cpu : 90-105 at idle which is the vrm temps
cpu (peci) :and thats the same as cpu 

there is no cputin there is only systin 1,2,3

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 12:12am
Okay, that's just due to us having different motherboards and thus different heat sensors. The names don't matter as long as you know what each temperature means.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 12:25am

Okay, that's just due to us having different motherboards and thus different heat sensors. The names don't matter as long as you know what each temperature means.

i did read thru the post you linked and the guy that had the same issues as i do couldent find a error in his event viewer but i have the cause of my freeze up but i no it hardware issues and i no its not a ram issues still trying to figure out if my motherboard or cpu is at cause here here is the cause im having in the event viwer maybe you can enlighten me on what it means

File System Filter 'npsvctrig' (10.0, ??015????0????9T21:40:23.000000000Z) has successfully loaded and registered with Filter Manager

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 1:12am
Unfortunately I don't know any more of that error message than you do. :/ I share your belief that the RAM modules should be fine, but the fact that you're using four of them puts extra stress on you CPU-NB. This is why stock voltages may not be enough and bumping the voltage up could help. I suggested bumping the RAM voltage up first only because that's what helped the other guy and it doesn't make the CPU run any hotter. Increasing the CPU-NB does, so you need to monitor the temperatures when or if you decide to do it.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 1:44am

Unfortunately I don't know any more of that error message than you do. :/ I share your belief that the RAM modules should be fine, but the fact that you're using four of them puts extra stress on you CPU-NB. This is why stock voltages may not be enough and bumping the voltage up could help. I suggested bumping the RAM voltage up first only because that's what helped the other guy and it doesn't make the CPU run any hotter. Increasing the CPU-NB does, so you need to monitor the temperatures when or if you decide to do it.

i did forget to mention that it still froze up with just 2 stick in i tryed both sets of ram sticks sepretly to make sure the stick were bad and i even tested the stick in my wifes pc and all fine

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 7:36am
In that case trying the FX-4300 in your rig seems worth the trouble. I would also suggest running MemTest86, as I would expect it to produce errors and the error log may help pinpoint the source of those errors.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 8:28am

In that case trying the FX-4300 in your rig seems worth the trouble. I would also suggest running MemTest86, as I would expect it to produce errors and the error log may help pinpoint the source of those errors.

I did do memtest86 on all chips before i came looking for help and no errors were found the test run all night on all chips sepertly

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 9:06am
I'd still try to run it using all four sticks, just to be sure. If there are no errors, then to me the whole problem would start to sound like a Windows-related issue. Luckily there's a way to check this: you could try running Linux. You can either use a Live CD if you have one already, or make a bootable USB stick using some Linux image. I'm not sure it matters which Linux distro you use for this, but Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS should be a pretty safe bet (see http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/try-ubuntu-before-you-install). You don't need to install Ubuntu, you can just run it off the USB stick. If the computer is stable under Ubuntu, then I'd say the issue is somehow linked to Windows.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 9:25am

I'd still try to run it using all four sticks, just to be sure. If there are no errors, then to me the whole problem would start to sound like a Windows-related issue. Luckily there's a way to check this: you could try running Linux. You can either use a Live CD if you have one already, or make a bootable USB stick using some Linux image. I'm not sure it matters which Linux distro you use for this, but Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS should be a pretty safe bet (see http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/try-ubuntu-before-you-install). You don't need to install Ubuntu, you can just run it off the USB stick. If the computer is stable under Ubuntu, then I'd say the issue is somehow linked to Windows.

Thats the thing it all started with windows 10 and i gone to windows 8.1 tp see if the problem would jump from os to os and it did tho it doesnt afect window 8.1 as it did windows 10 but it still freezes up tho

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 6:24am
bump

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 10:58am
wanted to update that i switched out my fx 8350 for jmy wifes fx4300 now this will tell me if the board or cpu is bad im also testing my fx 8350 in my wifes pc she has a different board but same brand name

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 8:34pm
update replacing cpu with fx4300 froze up over night im aiming for a defecive motherboard now

Date Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 1:49am
Well I'm pretty much out of ideas. If it started with Windows 10, it would be easy to assume that it's a Windows issue, but why would going back to Windows 8 not help? Does Windows make changes in the NVRAM or anywhere else which might cause the observed behaviour and would not get changed back by Windows 8? It just sounds so weird that it makes me think it's just a coincidence that the symptoms started after installing Windows 10. But I'm no expert and I also have personal experience of Windows doing weird stuff on my ASRock motherboard*, so I'm not willing to rule out any possibility. Unfortunately, I can't really help with this either. At least the problem doesn't seem to be the CPU, which I guess is good news.

*I had to edit Windows boot options manually using bcdedit to be able to boot to grub, since booting to Windows erased the Ubuntu boot option from the BIOS/UEFI boot menu, even though the EFI partition had all the required files intact.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 2:16am
ya i never seen this issue before in the 17 years of working on pc ever but Im going to have to fork out some cash to get a replacement board and test again plus im sure the board is defective when i got it and didnt show signs of it failing till i upgraded to 10 so it was just a matter of time and i think overclocking the cpu-nb just put it over the breaking point lol 

at this point im eather going to wait and deal with the freezing up and get it the same board i have now later on when i get the money for it or get a cheap board to put the fx4300 and let my wife keep the fx8350 till i get the asrock fatailty 990fx killer board replaced

not sure what i should do what do you think

Date Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 7:32pm
Before tearing it down .......

1. Check that you are using the latest non-problematic driver for your video cards.

2. Baring that, pull the two R9 280X's and test with a different single video card.

EDITED to include "different"
< id="kpm_plugin" ="application/x-KPMPlugin">

Date Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 7:48pm

Before tearing it down .......

1. Check that you are using the latest non-problematic driver for your video cards.

2. Baring that, pull the two R9 280X's and test with a different single video card.

EDITED to include "different"

1 i am using crimson driver 15.11.1

2 that would be a problem i just sold my last unused video card 

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 3:43am
tho idk of this is relivent or not the bios seems to take forever to post after a restart but post right away after a cold startup this has been like this since windows 10 came out

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 6:34am

tho idk of this is relivent or not the bios seems to take forever to post after a restart but post right away after a cold startup this has been like this since windows 10 came out

BIOS > Boot tab > Full Screen Logo (set to Disabled)

Then notice if anywhere during the post process looks hinky or seems slow in continuing where it normally wouldn't be.

Have a friend youu might borrow a vid card from to test with?

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 7:12am

BIOS > Boot tab > Full Screen Logo (set to Disabled)

Then notice if anywhere during the post process looks hinky or seems slow in continuing where it normally wouldn't be.

Have a friend youu might borrow a vid card from to test with?

Nope the friend that i no bought the card from me lol

and i turned off the logo and it comes up with the date the motherboard name and it site with a 99 down at the right bottom corner of the screen

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 7:51am
Yea. I'm leaning more and more this is somehow related to your graphics cards or your drivers.

http://www.asrock.com/support/faq.asp?id=334" rel="nofollow - http://www.asrock.com/support/faq.asp?id=334

Everything I'm reading of that system file error you're getting comes out to be graphics card driver related.

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 7:58am

Yea. I'm leaning more and more this is somehow related to your graphics cards or your drivers.

http://www.asrock.com/support/faq.asp?id=334" rel="nofollow - http://www.asrock.com/support/faq.asp?id=334

Everything I'm reading of that system file error you're getting comes out to be graphics card driver related.

so i should take both cards out and try them sepratly to see if it freezes up at all

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 8:20am

so i should take both cards out and try them sepratly to see if it freezes up at all

You might try that. It looks a driver issue more than relating to any specific card though.

Give it a shot, nothing to loose. Just reconfigure from SLI.

Or better yet, do a full uninstall using a graphics card driver remover and then reinstall them.

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 8:25am

You might try that. It looks a driver issue more than relating to any specific card though.

Give it a shot, nothing to loose. Just reconfigure from SLI.

Or better yet, do a full uninstall using a graphics card driver remover and then reinstall them.

ya i was thinking the same but the problems i been having since 15.7 drivers came out way before crimson drivers took over and im on 15.11.1 now crimson drivers so

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 10:02am
now im only using one video card in and the bios booted faster then ever now

so im going to let my pc run for a while with out restarting and see if it freezes up now if so i will try my second card if it doesnt with that one then i got a bad card and i can use it for parts and replace the broke fan on my original card :D

Date Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 6:04pm

..so im going to let my pc run for a while....

And? Is still running uninterrupted w/o BSODs?

Date Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 8:13pm

..so im going to let my pc run for a while....

And? Is still running uninterrupted w/o BSODs?

so far 36+ hours running but it uselly freeze up about 3 days in to it running

Can a bad crossfire bridge cause the problems im having

Date Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 8:24pm
Yes, a bad bridge could.

Test both cards that they individually run w/o hick-upping on you first though. That rules out the cards themselves.

Progress ....

Date Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 8:28pm

.... but it uselly freeze up about 3 days in to it running

First hearing of this, ie @ three days it begins

You running a RAMDisk, any of ASRocks other X-Fast utilities, or anything else not considered "normal"(used lightly).

Date Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 8:31pm

Yes, a bad bridge could.

Test both cards that they individually run w/o hick-upping on you first though. That rules out the cards themselves.

Progress ....

wow i had no idea a bad bridge could cause so many issues

36+hours just on one care is holding strong

Date Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 8:36pm

.... but it uselly freeze up about 3 days in to it running

First hearing of this, ie @ three days it begins

You running a RAMDisk, any of ASRocks other X-Fast utilities, or anything else not considered "normal"(used lightly).

let me rephrase that it takes up to 3 days for any thing to happen once i change things around like my gf memory when i tested it it took right around the morning of the 3rd day to freeze up its weird and then afterward it a non stop freeze cant even make it thru the day with out it freezing up

and nope im not running anything like that

Date Posted: 19 Dec 2015 at 8:33am
i wanted to do a update

i ran my pc for almost a full week straight and everything is ok

so what i did was update to windows 10 and installed my fx 8350 and bam it froze up im getting really fustrated with this thing

i checked my wifes pc event viewer and she was having some issues when running the fx8350 even got the same file filter lock up but knowning my wife she cant remember if she her pc ever locked up or not but there is evedience that it did in the logs so im going to have to get a cheap cpu

Date Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 7:52pm
And ......??

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 12:27am
it was a cpu issues so i bought a fx4350 to replace it till i can get another fx8350 or i might get go with the new am4 platform and zen cpu but thats till up in the air b/c there is no release date as of yet on when the new zen and amf mobos will be released

Posted By: Xaltar
Date Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 1:07am
Happy to see you figured out the problem even if the result wasn't great.

I would hold out for Zen if you plan to stick with AMD.

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 2:32am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

Happy to see you figured out the problem even if the result wasn't great.

I would hold out for Zen if you plan to stick with AMD.

i might just do that depends on the release date tho

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2016 at 7:56pm
hello again after all these months to update that the fx4350 still froze up on my pc and i gave it to my wife and its running solid she even has the same motherboard and ram i have and its all running solid and strong

so im lost for words

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 2:46am

hello again after all these months to update that the fx4350 still froze up on my pc and i gave it to my wife and its running solid she even has the same motherboard and ram i have and its all running solid and strong

figures LOL Tongue

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 5:54am

figures LOL Tongue

whats that suppose to me

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 6:34am

figures LOL Tongue

whats that suppose to me

A joke.

It didn't behave for you. Yet give it to the Wife and no problems. Figures...

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 8:04am

figures LOL Tongue

whats that suppose to me

A joke.

It didn't behave for you. Yet give it to the Wife and no problems. Figures...

ya ironic isent it lol

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 5:21am
installed a new psu and still froze up kinda getting irritated with this

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 5:42am
Take this to where your Wifes computer is and test.

?? Maybe time to look at/consider this is the 2nd one acting up where you sit and work on them.

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 9:44am
i found a whole forum dedicated to the freezing problem it has about 66pages off ppl with problems didnt no it was widly spread

Posted By: parsec
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 12:10pm

so im lost for words

That's a good clue right there. What is different between your PC, and your wife's PC?

Same video card(s)?

Keyboard and mouse, or really their drivers?

PSU, drive models, OS version, upgrade or clean installations, drivers and software, all kinds of things to check.

The freezing seems completely random, you cannot connect it with anything you are doing whatsoever?

-------------
http://valid.x86.fr/48rujh" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

so im lost for words

That's a good clue right there. What is different between your PC, and your wife's PC?

Same video card(s)?

Keyboard and mouse, or really their drivers?

PSU, drive models, OS version, upgrade or clean installations, drivers and software, all kinds of things to check.

The freezing seems completely random, you cannot connect it with anything you are doing whatsoever?

she has all the test parts and hand me downs that i use to have
fx4350(mine fx8350),
Asrock Fatality 990fx killer (same as me),
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231460" rel="nofollow - G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB DDR3-1866(same as me)
Sapphire Radeon R9 280x OC Edition (mines Sapphire Radeon RX480 8gb Reference)
550w (850w)
she has 1 500gb hdd (1 ssd and 1 hdd)
she has wireless mouse and keyboard no software (i have a wired gaming mouse and keyboard with no software)
hers isent a blueray drive like mine is
she had a updated untill i did a clean install recently (i have reinstalled windows 10 several time trying to figure out what the problem is with no luck thru out the time i had windows 10)
her motherboard drivers are exactly the same as mine since we have the same motherboards

tho i found someone testing somthing with the turn off hard disk setting heres what they said

All right, I figured it out.

It was an issue in Power Settings after all, specifically the 'turn off Hard Disk' setting.

It was set to 'Never' by default in all my power settings profiles. However, even though it said it was set to never trigger, it was actually set to trigger at a low value. Something like five minutes or so.

I decided to turn each individual one of my power settings timers on and see if any of them locked up the computer after the correct amount of time had passed because it was bugging me that it seemed to happen at around the same time interval regardless of how many resources the PC was using and only if I left it untouched during that time. Even the slightest twitch of the mouse on screen would prevent it, which seems to indicate it was some sort of sleep timer issue.

Sure enough 'turn off Hard Disk' locked everything up when it triggered after I set it to ten minutes at exactly ten minutes, requiring a hard reset of my system. This worked three times in a row.

After that, I cranked it up to 100 minutes, and sure enough that seemed to clear it up while I was using the PC, but when I left it on and went off to do something else for a couple of hours, I came back and it was locked up hard.

Once I set it back to 'never' again, the problem vanished and hasn't happened since. I left my PC on overnight [I don't normally do this] just to test and everything was working fine in the morning when I went back to it. No freeze, and the issue seems to have cleared up completely, at least so far.

Apparently the update screwed up the default 'never' value of this setting and set it to a low variable without changing it from 'never' in selection box somehow. It was something like five minutes or so despite reading as 'never'. Changing it to something else, and then putting it back to 'never' again got rid of the freezing.

However, it's worth noting that this setting shouldn't lock up my computer even if it is set to trigger. There's still a problem in there somewhere because doing something should wake up the disk that gets shut down, and instead it's just hard freezing the PC. If I set it back to a time interval, it still freezes, meaning I can't use this power saving feature even if I wanted to.

I'm booting from a SSD and not a HDD. That may have something to do with it, and this is just a workaround for a broken setting, not a real fix.

If you're having this issue, try going into your Power Settings, select the one you're using, and go into the advanced settings and find the 'turn off Hard Disk after' setting. Even if it's set to 'Never' already, change it to something else see if it still freezes after the time has passed, restart, and then set it back to 'never' again and give your PC another restart.

After I did this it hasn't locked up again unless I set it back to trigger and wait the set amount of time. Then I have to reset my PC to unfreeze it again because it still doesn't 'wake up' like it should when triggered. This feature is broken on my system and has been for the last update or so, no idea why.

I'd recommend doing this to all the Power Settings profiles you have just to be sure if you're having this freeze issue.

so if this is true i set the turn off hard disk to 100000min so by the time the counter its that i would have needed to reset the computer or turn it off for a update or a hardware upgrade lol

but its only a test so i have my fingers crossed

update: it froze up again there is a major bug in windows

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231460" rel="nofollow -

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2016 at 11:05pm
Tho i do want to mention that i used a completly differnt iso of windows theb what i used so i was thinking maybe since her pc is working great i should redo my pc with the same iso to test that thory which i did so right now its running better then ever now

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net