Forum Description: Question about ASRock AMD motherboards
URL: https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=14783
Printed Date: 04 May 2024 at 6:47pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Persistent bluetooth dropping out: B450M/AC AM4
Posted By: sevengroove
Subject: Persistent bluetooth dropping out: B450M/AC AM4
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 3:53am
Hi there, I've had my ASRock B450m/ac motherboard for about 3 months now and have always encountered a problem with Bluetooth. I currently have three devices paired to my Windows 10 desktop:
    • Logitech MX Master 3 mouse
    • Speaker
    • Headphones

The mouse and speaker are the devices that are always on and connected. Very randomly and without warning, my mouse stops responding. The only way I've found to reliably reinstate the connection is to open up bluetooth settings and toggle Bluetooth to "Off" and then back to "On". On this page, the mouse still shows as "connected" even though it is not responsive. Here are the additional troubleshooting tips I've tried:
      • Remove "Intel Wilreless Bluetooth" from Device Manager and reinstall with latest drivers
      • Change Power Management settings so that the computer cannot turn off bluetooth devices to save power. I did this earlier but after a recent Windows/drivers update I no longer see the Power Management tab under any bluetooth device or controller in Device Manager.
      • Change Power Plan settings to "Maximum Performance"
      • Disable the 2.4ghz band on the wireless adapter, because I read somewhere that this helps as well.

When I tried each of these steps the problem seemed to go away, but it still manages to resurface and varies in frequency (sometimes once in a few days, other times 5 times in 5 minutes). I am at my wit's end here with how to proceed. Any other suggestions?

Replies:
      Date Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 5:25am
      Update: another way the mouse connection seems to resume is if I play any music. The mouse is back to working almost the same instant I hit play on a music source.

Posted By: ThreeDee
      Date Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 10:19am
      ..are you grabbing latest drivers directly from Intel?

-------------
      |Ryzen 5 5900|ASRock X570 Taichi-BIOS 4.60|2x16GB HyperX Predator RGB 3200@3600 1:1 IF|ASRock RX 6700XT|2 x PCIe 4.0 M.2 Drives for OS & Games|850 WTT Seasonic 80+ Titanium PSU|Noctua NH-D15|

Posted By: datonyb
      Date Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 7:50pm
      usually this issue can be cleared up by............

download and install the LATEST amd chipset drivers direct from AMD

and then use the intel driver support program as threedee suggested

-------------
      [url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 10:52pm
      I did get the bluetooth drivers directly from Intel using their Driver & Support Assistant software. Have not tried updating the chipset drivers from AMD directly though, so will give that a go. Thanks.

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 12:57am
      i would advise the intel installer again AFTER the amd chipset

my best guess (experianced/educated)

is the communication between the cpu/chipset and the wifi/bt card is the weak point
      hence suggesting the chipset drivers first

it has worked before with this issue /problem

-------------

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 1:36am
      Ok, I updated the chipset drivers, restarted the computer etc. Was smooth sailing for about an hour until the problem happened again.

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 3:35am
      Also tried disconnecting the bluetooth speaker and using a wired connection, but the problem persists. Halpp!

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 3:38am
      then i suggest
      uninstall the device in device manager
      and give windows the good old update spin and see if its got a whql driver for the bt card

is this a combined bt/wifi card?

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 4:40am
      I tried this just now - windows update did not find any new drivers, but when I did 'scan for hardware changes' in device manager, it ended up installing an older version of the driver from april 2019 (the more recent one is oct 2019). So far it seems to be doing fine (but I never know for sure).

To your question about whether it is combined, I think it is ... it's built in to the motherboard and is not a separate PCI(e) card but I think it is combined.

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 4:42am
      I spoke too soon ... the problem is already back.

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 9:33am
      The card is located under the metal bracket where you connect the antenna .. not ideal, but if don't mind tinkering .. you can pull the motherboard out and remove that casing (1 or 2 screws on back of mobo)and see if the card is replaceable ..ie .. not soldered in place. If it is replaceable, simply pick up a new one and install and then reassemble..

I have a bunch of combo cards that I have salvaged off of laptops over the years and they are pretty cheap to get off of ebay or the like ..

I don't work for ASRock and my recommendations are not official support in any way shape or form .. but it's what I would do/look at if you are past the warranty period or simply don't want to wait around for a replacement to show up.

-------------
      |Ryzen 5 5900|ASRock X570 Taichi-BIOS 4.60|2x16GB HyperX Predator RGB 3200@3600 1:1 IF|ASRock RX 6700XT|2 x PCIe 4.0 M.2 Drives for OS & Games|850 WTT Seasonic 80+ Titanium PSU|Noctua NH-D15|

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 11:57am
      ThatEscalatedQuickly.jpg

I don?™t mind tinkering but my desktop is barely 3 months old. It?™s still under warranty but I appreciate your point about not wanting to wait around for asrock to fix it.. I use this computer for work so I cannot go for weeks without it. Are you certain that it is a hardware issue at this point?

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 12:32pm
      I have the luxury of just swapping the card out (if it's swappable) due to my plethora of parts laying around .. So i would just swap and see .. Without having the board in hand, I'm not certain of anything unfortunately

alternatively, maybe ASRock would send you a mobo and let you hold on to yours until you get your new one .. it's frustrating when you have new stuff that doesn't work like it should... or at all..

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 12:45pm
      just curious .. what BIOS version you running?

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 9:55pm
      I see where you're coming from there - since you have those parts lying around it seems like an easy step worth trying. For me it still might be easier to order that part assuming it is detachable (haven't checked yet) instead of waiting around for ASRock to fix it. I will ask them though if they can send me a replacement first.

My BIOS version is P1.50, 10/14/2019.

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 10:09pm
      What's strange is that the ASRock download page doesn't even list the 105 version ... it goes from 1.00 to 1.20 to 1.70: https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450Mac/#BIOS.

But at least one more thing to try I suppose before considering a part swap.

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 11:03pm
      The joys of troubleshooting

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 11:38pm
      Literally less than five minutes after flashing the new BIOS and booting up Windows, the problem happened again. Sigh. I might try working with Amazon first to see if they might be willing to source a return/replacement before reaching out to ASRock. Thanks for all your help thus far in troubleshooting, I really appreciate it

Date Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 2:30am
      well poo .. sorry man

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 4:26am
      Chatted with Amazon, and they surprisingly agreed to take the board back for a refund! Guess it's time to shop for a new one. I will likely avoid motherboards with built-in wifi/bt at this point to save myself any future hassles.

On a related note, do you know if I will need to reapply thermal paste or anything when moving my CPU to a new motherboard? I think there was some preapplied on the heatsink when I bought the CPU (Ryzen 3600) ... or maybe there wasn't. Can't be sure lol.

Date Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 2:03am
      yes the thermal paste is pre applied
      and only just good enough the first fitting
      grab some thermal paste when you order your other parts
      mx4 is popular and cheapish
      im sure you might get a 100 replies now saying other paste is better but a stock 3600 and heatsink it dosnt really matter as long as its a thermal paste

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 2:20am
      Thanks - so change of plans, I ended up working out a deal with Amazon where they just refunded me half the cost of the MB - around $40 - and I'm going to continue using it. Since literally everything else on the board is working fine, I don't want to go through the hassle of ordering a new one especially since B450's seem to not be in stock very much right now and the new B550's or X570's are overkill for my build. Not to mention almost twice the cost. Gonna get a $10 USB bluetooth adapter and call it a day.

Pleasantly surprised with Amazon's customer service on this tbh.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
      Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net