Forum Description: Question about ASRock AMD motherboards
URL: https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=16230
Printed Date: 17 May 2024 at 8:57pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Using NVMe with my x370 gaming K4 motherboard
Posted By: matts
Subject: Using NVMe with my x370 gaming K4 motherboard
Date Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 5:09pm
First off, I've never updated my BIOS because in the beginning it was a "not broke no need to fix it" situation. Then it became, if I update now, I'll have to update it 5 times because of all the prerequisite BIOS updates. So the version is still 2.10 or 2.20 one of the two.

I recently installed an NVMe SSD as my system drive and have had weird problems ever since. I first cloned my original system drive onto the NVMe so that I didn't have the inconvenience of having to reinstall Windows and all my programs. Then I got the drives switched out and it was going fine. Then 2 days later Windows has a cumulative update to install. Restarting afterwards resulting in the boot record getting screwed up after drive letters were changed, and the update getting left as pending. Windows gives me an unrecognizable boot drive BSOD from then on. I use WinPE to reset Windows, it doesn't give me the option of keeping my programs installed so the whole point of cloning is gone. So then im sitting on a reinstalled Windows.

Everything is fine for 2 weeks and then out of the blue there, the computer stops and restarts but gets hung during POST and just sits there. I press the power reset button on my tower and it restarts and gets into Windows just fine. There are no glaring reasons for this crash in the Event Viewer. I just happen to be looking at the changelogs for the BIOS updates and see one of them has better M.2 compatibility.

LONG story and that brings me to my question. Could there be some BIOS problem with my new NVMe in the Ultra M.2 slot that would require me to at least update the BIOS to the version with the M.2 change?

Replies:
Posted By: datonyb
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 1:46am
important bit of info missing
what cpu are you using

im guessing its a first gen ?
your board is the sister board to my taichi x370

on first gen use bios 3.20 or 3.3 (remember to update to version3 first)
the bios versions circa 2.x were all a steep learning curve for ALL board makers and had various bugs and bad ram settings
i do also agree with the bios education that if its not broke dont upgrade and i did indeed stay on bios 3.1 with my taichi until i wanted a 3rd gen ryzen

after that id suggest if possible try to copy files/pics etc off the nvme
and really really advise to just do a clean install using the latest win 10 media creation file from micrsoft and go from there

P.S. REMEMBER TO RESET BIOS DEFAULTS BEFORE FLASHING A NEW BIOS

-------------
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 1:48am
p.p.s.

these drive cloning tend to not work perfectly more times than they do actualy work

-------------

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 6:02am
Hey thanks for replying! Sorry, I thought my signature would show and I didn't pay attention that it didn't do that.

You guessed correctly, I have a Ryzen 5 1600. So you think the problem is just the 2.x BIOSes. As for the Windows re-install, it basically was a clean install, it resulted in a Windows.old folder so there was nothing left over from the previous install.

-------------
Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4, Ryzen 5 1600, 16GB Ram, WD Blue SN550 NVMe 500GB, WD Blue 1TB, Geforce GTX 1650 Super

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 9:29am
I updated the BIOS to 5.10 today and it actually made it worse. Now instead of random restarts that didn't leave any trace of a crash or anything. It now has random BSODs, that all suggest a driver issue.

My thought process for stopping with 5.10 was that I didn't want to update it too much considering im still using 1st Gen Ryzen. But I wanted to get the M.2 changes in 4.60 and thought the bridge was that close why not just go up to it.

-------------
Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4, Ryzen 5 1600, 16GB Ram, WD Blue SN550 NVMe 500GB, WD Blue 1TB, Geforce GTX 1650 Super

Posted By: ThreeDee
Date Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 10:30am
Originally posted by matts matts wrote:

As for the Windows re-install, it basically was a clean install, it resulted in a Windows.old folder so there was nothing left over from the previous install.
not quite a clean install ... but .. have you installed the latest chipset drivers from AMD?

-------------
|Ryzen 5 5900|ASRock X570 Taichi-BIOS 4.60|2x16GB HyperX Predator RGB 3200@3600 1:1 IF|ASRock RX 6700XT|2 x PCIe 4.0 M.2 Drives for OS & Games|850 WTT Seasonic 80+ Titanium PSU|Noctua NH-D15|

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 10:37am
Originally posted by ThreeDee ThreeDee wrote:

not quite a clean install ... but .. have you installed the latest chipset drivers from AMD?

You mean the AMD Allin1 package? I have the 18.50.16.01, the one it suggests to have installed before you update the BIOS.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 11:06am
Just installed the chipset drivers from the AMD website. Will post again if the problem happens again.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 1:48am
Originally posted by matts matts wrote:

I updated the BIOS to 5.10 today and it actually made it worse. Now instead of random restarts that didn't leave any trace of a crash or anything. It now has random BSODs, that all suggest a driver issue.

My thought process for stopping with 5.10 was that I didn't want to update it too much considering im still using 1st Gen Ryzen. But I wanted to get the M.2 changes in 4.60 and thought the bridge was that close why not just go up to it.

did you miss the very clear bit i recommended to use bios versions 3xxx

5.10 is for the 3rd gen ryzens and allthough technically it should handle it ok ,there was no need to go above the versions 3xxx i suggested for a first gen cpu

however your done now and cant flash back
as suggested by threedee download the newer AMD chipset drivers
DIRECT FROM AMD SUPPORT

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 5:53am
I was mistaken when I said it had a v2 bios on it. For SOME reason I thought I was still in the 2.x range but then when I went to update it, I already had 3.40 on it, I have no memory of touching the BIOS on this motherboard. But that did rule out the problem being a 2.x bug. Since apparently I've had 3.40 all along. I did go ahead and install the latest chipset drivers from the AMD website on the 28th as I posted above.

I turned the computer on today and when I logged into Windows it immediately gave me another BSOD and this time the bootmgr got corrupted, but the startup repair fixed it. I'm starting to think this NVMe is a lemon. Unless anyone else has any other suggestions.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 4:31am
Nope nothing wrong with the NVMe.. Just something about my setup or BIOs version that just doesn't like NVMe. It worked fine on another computer and another brand of NVMe gave a BSOD when installed on this setup.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net