Forum Description: Question about ASRock AMD motherboards
URL: https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1639
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 8:06pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: USB randomly disconnecting and reconnecting
Posted By: shenmue
Subject: USB randomly disconnecting and reconnecting
Date Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 9:51pm
I've several issues with my ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0. My processor is an AMD FX8320.

- My hard disk is randomly disconnecting and reconnecting in USB 3.0 (each 10, 5 or 2 minutes) even when I commit no files transfer.

- I can't copy/paste files between my PC and 3.0 USB keys when they are connected to a USB 3.0 port (writing speed = drop to zero in few seconds)

- My 2.0 USB devices work really bad in these USB 3.0 ports

- It happens pretty rarely but some USB 2.0 devices (mouse, keyboard or wifi receptor) are randomly disconnecting during dozens of seconds when they're connected to USB 2.0 ports. It's mostly the case for my wifi receptor when I download a huge amount of bytes per second.

Replies:
Posted By: wardog
Date Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 10:19am
This will seem strange at first but it's backed up by my many many experiences building computers.

USB 3.0, in the way it communicates, has the propensity to develop RF interference in the 2.4GHz band. This will manifest itself in exactly the ways you describe above. Disconnects, wireless keyboard key press delays, etc etc.

As a simple test, enter the BIOS and if the ability to disable the MB's USB 3.0/3.1 ports is available, disable them temporarily and re-test. I'll bet your problems disappear or at least become negligible. Negligible, only because of possible other 2.4 band interference you may have there.

If disabling them helps all I can offer from experience is to get some 3-5' USB 2.0 extension cables, extend them as far away from the USB3.0/3.1 ports as possible, and plug your USB 2.0 devices to these. Thus separating by distance the USB2.0 and USB3.0/3.1.

It works here every time I build for a customer that demands a lot of USB devices be added. Extension cables stop this behavior dead in its tracks

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 10:23am
GOOD extension cables. Not those 99cent cheap black narrow gauge ones.

I actually use good blue twisted pair and shielded USB 3.0 extension cables, even though they're for the USB 2.0 ports/devices. Works wonders.

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 11:04am
Oh. Another BIOS option that may be available is Spread Spectrum Clocking, or likeness, that may give "some' relief.

This "modulates' the systems signals and is intended to reduce/negate the effects EMI/RF cause.

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 1:39am
Thank you very much for your answer.

I plugged my USB 3.0 HDD further away from the used 2.0 port and the related issue has disappeared. I would never have thought about frequency radio.

Posted By: bjlockie
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 4:47am
I had the same problem and the 970 Extreme3 V1 motherboard.
I used a shorter cable and the problem disappeared.
It's disappointing USB3 has this problem (if a cable is speced for USB3 then it should be shielded from interference).

-------------
ASRock B450M Pro4
16 GB DDR4, 500 watt PS, AMD Ryzen-5 5600, NVidia GTX-1050, 5.70 BIOS

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 5:20am
Originally posted by bjlockie bjlockie wrote:

(if a cable is speced for USB3 then it should be shielded from interference).

A long cable is sometimes just as detrimental here, RF, as it can act as an antenna. Remember, RF on the ground/drain/shield travels along just fine and can enter circuitry, somewhere.

As for spec's 3.0. Your words .... "should be' .... Some Co's will short a product wherever they can!

Contrary to what one would like to imagine, getting a large OD blue cable means nothing. It's what's inside that counts. OD of it be damned. In the early days when the blue Asian 3.0 cables first came out all the OD represented was an increase of vinyl and not what got placed under all that blue vinyl.

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 5:22am
Originally posted by shenmue shenmue wrote:

Thank you very much for your answer.

I plugged my USB 3.0 HDD further away from the used 2.0 port and the related issue has disappeared. I would never have thought about frequency radio.

Thank you for taking the time to reply that that helped. It's appreciated.

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 7:42pm
So I had bought a one-meter extension cable (a Cable Matters SuperSpeed USB 3.0) to put my external wifi receptor further away from my PC and everthing works well by now. My 3.0 HDD still gets some random disconnections, that's why I recommend to buy a two-meter cable instead. But globally, it's a huge step as I can use USB 3.0 sticks for the very first time.

To resume :
- Space your port connections as much as possible, especially from your wifi connection.
- If needed, use an extension cable to put your wifi receptor away.

To learn more about the issue, you can read the Intel's report : http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/io/universal-serial-bus/usb3-frequency-interference-paper.html

Posted By: sf15-t
Date Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 8:29am
" rel="nofollow - Hi :)

I have the Asrock Extreme 3 2.0 motherboard and FX6300 cpu.
I have the same issues as mentioned in the first post, mostly its the issue with the internet disconnection. My question is, i have a TP LINK wn822n wifi adapter which comes with a cca 1m cable. I use it always with this cables and when my download speed gets high (app. 3mb/s) the internet connection breaks down. Its shown like the adapter is disconnected from the computer and then again connected.

Do i have to buy an extension usb cable since i already have a 1m original tp link extension cable? Or should i buy the extension cable for my 3.0 portable hard drive? The port for the hard drive is next to the port for the extension cable with the wifi adapter.

Sorry for bringing the old theme up.

Posted By: sf15-t
Date Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 8:29am
Just to mention, i am using windows 10 and all drivers are updated.

Date Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 12:19pm
Buy an extension cable to plug with the original TP cable, that's what I did.

The best advice I can give is to change your CPU. AMD Bulldozer CPUs make any motherboard overheating and weak. You can also buy a high-end PCI-express wifi card but both solutions are expensive.

Thing that can help is to put your PC in standby when you can to rest the wifi device as I'm used to let my PC on all the night.

Posted By: Kassia
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 3:31pm
I have met such problem before, I know some ways, hope they can work for you. You can isable USB selective suspend, or using CHKDSK Command, the last method is to Use ?œSystem File Checker?? The most important is that you should backup your data first.

Date Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 3:32pm
I find a good website that contains the main solutions and steps, here is the site, You can click to know more: https://www.r-datarecovery.com/usb-keeps-disconnecting-and-reconnecting.html

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 1:26am
Well my motherboard has died since then. I bought a MSI and it's much better now. But I've still got some similar issues so I assume the AMD FX8320 was really the weaker point of my setup, especially by plugging a USB wifi receptor on it.

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 2:59pm
Hello, you can use ?œSystem File Checker??to solve the concern

Step1: Go to start menu and type ?œcmd??in the search box to open Command Prompt.

Step2: In the Command Prompt type ?œsfc/scannow??command and press enter to execute it.

Step3: Once the scanning is done, restart your computer and check if the issue ?œUSB Keeps Disconnecting and Reconnecting??is fixed or not.

There are also many other ways, but I think before fixing this issue, you should recover your files in advance, you can download the Bitwar Data Recovery.

Posted By: mariaalopez
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 3:17pm
To fix USB/external hard drive keeps disconnecting and reconnecting, simply try the below-given steps:
Firstly, you need to click on ?�Windows + Q??then, type cmd
Next, right-click the ?�Cmd Prompt??and then choose ?�Run as Administrator??
In the new command Windows, you need to type chkdsk X: /r /f where X is the new drive letter of the drive /r, /f are the chkdsk parameters.
After this, press the ?�Enter??to just activate the error-checking process & fix via chkdsk.
At last, take out the hard drive and again try to connect it. Then check if you?�re able to access your drive.

-------------
mariaa

Posted By: yuanyasmine
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 1:08pm
I was having this same problem (Dell Inspiron 15 5000) and it was driving me crazy. I'd be typing and the mouse & keyboard simply disconnected for no apparent reason. Updated drivers....took it to the geek guys a number of times.....spent hours on google......was about to give up when someone suggested I check the power settings. DUH,,,,,

1. Open device manager
2. click on Universal serial bus controllers
3. right-click on each one
4. open the power management window
5. check to see if the "allow this computer to turn off this device to save power" box is checked
6. uncheck the box and close the window.
Problem solved for this guy......hope it works

Posted By: RLGL
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 9:21pm
Also helps to keep USB cables separated from the power cables.

-------------
Asrock Z370 Gaming K6,Intel i7 8700K,
Asrock x570 Taichi

Posted By: mariaalopez
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 9:11pm
Hey??a Few days back this same thing happened to me also. Even after trying a lot, I was unable to fix the USB keeps disconnecting and reconnecting. After that, I started searching over the internet to solve this problem. Then, finally, I found a very helpful post that describes how to fix USB keeps disconnecting and reconnecting using some useful solutions. Thanks a lot??

You can also refer this article: https://www.rescuedigitalmedia.com/fix-usb-keeps-disconnecting-and-reconnecting" rel="nofollow - https://www.rescuedigitalmedia.com/fix-usb-keeps-disconnecting-and-reconnecting

Posted By: Khun_Doug
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 7:52am
I strongly second this sentiment/advice. Those cheap USB cables not only have trouble with the stuff that is connecting over them. They also cause RFI to other equipment. I traced a source radio signal hash to one of these cheap cables. Get one that is heavier gauge and look for one that says is has good shielding. You might never think USB cables could be a source of RFI to other devices.

Posted By: madsweeny
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2024 at 5:39pm
necroposter here
after all sorts of methods problem still here, devices (keyboard and mouse) connected to usb 2.0 on old crap 760gm-hdv keep reconnect randomly, that happens several times per week or even day, no wi-fi or smth in 5m radius, cable internet, gold psu), so i made the only right decision - throw dat shiet into trash and never buy asrock crap again, and this is what I advise to you. 1 week with another vendor and no problems at all.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net