Forum Description: Question about ASRock Intel Motherboards
URL: https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1758
Printed Date: 22 May 2024 at 12:52am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Z170 OC Formula - Bios v2.00 pci-e problems
Posted By: kargh
Subject: Z170 OC Formula - Bios v2.00 pci-e problems
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 9:49am
RMA'd the previous motherboard and just installed the new one. I have it up and running and the bios update, updated to 2.00 (old one was using 1.90).  I've ran into some oddities and I'm not sure if it is due to the bios... heck, I wonder if anyone else has even seen the same issues.

When I connect the graphics card to pci-e 1 (x16 slot), it will fail to boot with 94, 96, or 97 error code -- almost always.  But it did boot once when I had only 1 monitor plugged in (after Windows loaded, I plugged the other two in and all was well). I've yet to replicate this exact behavior.

I have had it boot fine with all 3 plugged in, but again, once or twice.

It seems to work fine when plugged into the x4 slot.

It does not boot when plugged into the x8 slot.

Thoughts?

Replies:
Posted By: parsec
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 3:05pm
What video card seems to be giving you these problems? What OS and video card driver are you using?

Your board has a switch that can turn on and off each of the PCIe x16 slots, are you sure they are all set to the On position?

Is the video card new, or one you have used before?

-------------
http://valid.x86.fr/48rujh" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: wardog
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by kargh kargh wrote:

Knowing that, I have to ask.

Have you attached power to the video card?

And if you have, is it on its own non-shared cable/rail, or split off from a cable/rail that is powering other items?

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 6:33pm
Please, a thorough listing of the parts of your system, including the PSU and its age.

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 8:45pm
No problem.  I didn't want to dump all that information initially -- I was hoping someone else might have experienced that issue and it not be linked to any specific part.

Anyways, I've flashed the 2nd bios with 1.90 and still have the same issues so I don't believe it is strictly a bios issue at that point. I did get it to boot again in the x16 slot  but when windows loaded, I was unable to  run the NVidia control panel though other programs worked. I ended up giving up for the night and flipping it back to the x4 slot and ran HCi MemTest all night. No errors with 8 threads running.

The build is new, all parts were ordered about 2 weeks ago and assembled by me.

• ASRock Z170 OC Formula mobo
  • Intel i7 6700k
  • G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3400 4x8GB (F4-3400C16Q-32GTZ)
  • ThermalTake Toughpower Grand 1050W Platinum PSU
  • 2xSamsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 (Raid 0)
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Hydro Copper Graphics Card
  • ThermalTake Core P5 ATX Case
  • Windows 10 Pro

I have two older drives hooked up as well, removing them doesn't change anything so I doubt they are the problem.  The system is water cooled and if you really want a list of the parts for that, I'll provide it but I don't think it has any real bearing on the issue.

I'll respond to the other posts individually.

Thanks for the help!

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Knowing that, I have to ask.

Have you attached power to the video card?

And if you have, is it on its own non-shared cable/rail, or split off from a cable/rail that is powering other items?

No worries about the question. I know it is one of those that people hate to ask because it seems so obvious, but it is amazing how often it turns out to be a simple issue.

Yeah, it is powered -- I wouldn't expect that it would work otherwise :)

I've ran individual cables to the 6 pin and 8 pin from the PSU and I've used a single cable, doesn't change the outcome.

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 8:50pm
I should also note that I am using the Thermaltake Core P5 PCI-E 16X Riser extension cable for the graphics card. I'm going to order a new one to see if that resolves the issue before I completely blame the motherboard.

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

What video card seems to be giving you these problems? What OS and video card driver are you using?

Your board has a switch that can turn on and off each of the PCIe x16 slots, are you sure they are all set to the On position?

Is the video card new, or one you have used before?

EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Hydro Copper 

Driver is the NVidia driver, version 10.18.14.6143 -- How would this affect post?

All the switches are in the ON position.

Card is new (and worked with the RMA'd mobo).

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 10:03pm

I've ran individual cables to the 6 pin and 8 pin from the PSU and I've used a single cable, doesn't change the outcome.

In an x4 slot it may derive enough power to run x4 w/o external power.

Get extra PCIe cables you swap the ones used now, out?

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 10:04pm
I'm just wondering, with that riser extension cable, I've had to bend and unbend it several times during the build and replacement of the motherboard, if a wire or two hasn't split causing a bad connection. I ordered a new case -- it'll be here in 2 days -- and I'll try the new cable.

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 10:05pm
Or have a decent(not $6.00) PSU Tester that has a PCIe test to check voltage(s)?

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 10:06pm

I was just thinking about doing that. I'll try in a few hours when I get home. I have a pile of pcie power cables.

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 10:06pm

Or have a decent(not $6.00) PSU Tester that has a PCIe test to check voltage(s)?

That I do not have. Any suggestions?

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2016 at 10:00am

I was just thinking about doing that. I'll try in a few hours when I get home. I have a pile of pcie power cables.

Tried. No dice. Same issue. Sometimes it will boot (I assume, Dr Debug shows the proper code) but the monitors are off.

At this point, I'm about done with ASRock stuff. It has been nothing but headaches.  I'll try the cable tomorrow and if that doesn't work, I think this mobo is going back and I"m going to get something else.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net