Forum Description: Question about ASRock AMD motherboards
URL: https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=19008
Printed Date: 27 Apr 2024 at 12:12am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Asrock x470 Taichi 12 beeps on boot
Posted By: DaManD
Subject: Asrock x470 Taichi 12 beeps on boot
Date Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 2:38pm
So on startup my motherboard beeps 12 times. It sometimes crashes where the screen just freezes. I've tried resetting ram and turning it down to 2933mhz in bios as I read in another forum that the 2700X doesn't handle over 3000mhz G.Skill Trident Z ram (I should of bought the actual AMD ram apparently). I highly doubt this though because for a couple of years I've had no problems. I've tried looking up beep codes and can't find any. Here are my specs:

CPU- Ryzen 7 2700X
GPU- Asrock 5700XT Taichi
Ram- G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (x4 8GB) 3200mhz
Mobo- Asrock x470 Taichi

Any help would be really appreciated.

Replies:
Posted By: ThreeDee
Date Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 4:36pm
Do you know what BIOS is running on the Taichi?

I had a similar issue with the X470 Master SLI/ac on an older BIOS with a launch blower style 5700xt .. the issue stemmed from the board not negotiating properly with the PCIe 4.0 of the video card. I had to manually set the x16 slot to GEN2 until ASRock released a BIOS that gave the option of GEN3/GEN2/GEN1 instead of AUTO/GEN2/GEN1 .. sooo ... if running a really old BIOS, that could potentially be your problem..

Set to GEN2 and then update the BIOS if that is indeed the case.

If this is not the case .. try pulling out 2 sticks of RAM and leave slots A2/B2 populated and see if system runs stable. I've had issues running 4 sticks on 2000 series Ryzen with both a 2700x and a 2200g.

-------------
|Ryzen 5 5900|ASRock X570 Taichi-BIOS 4.60|2x16GB HyperX Predator RGB 3200@3600 1:1 IF|ASRock RX 6700XT|2 x PCIe 4.0 M.2 Drives for OS & Games|850 WTT Seasonic 80+ Titanium PSU|Noctua NH-D15|

Date Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 6:52pm
Hey, thanks for your help. Bios version is P3.50. I'll try removing some of the ram as described tomorrow.

Date Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 7:02pm
Don't know how to select GEN2. Looked everywhere in bios and couldn't find it

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 4:20pm
What BIOS version are you running?

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X470%20Taichi/index.asp#BIOS" rel="nofollow - https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X470%20Taichi/index.asp#BIOS

-------------
|Ryzen 5 5900|ASRock X570 Taichi-BIOS 4.60|2x16GB HyperX Predator RGB 3200@3600 1:1 IF|ASRock RX 6700XT|2 x PCIe 4.0 M.2 Drives for OS & Games|850 WTT Seasonic 80+ Titanium PSU|Noctua NH-D15|

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 11:04pm
3.50 as stated before

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 4:52am
oops ..missed that .. I'd recommend updating your BIOS .. disregard the "warnings" .. they are there to keep joe average user from just arbitrarily updating their respective BIOS's when everything is working just fine... your issue could potentially be rectified with a BIOs update

-------------

Posted By: Xaltar
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 4:53am
So the symptoms are new on a system that has been running fine for quite some time?
Have you made any recent changes that coincide with the symptoms? When was the
last time you performed a full CMOS clear? 12 rapid beeps could indicate a dying/
dead CMOS battery and/or corrupted RTC (real time clock) data. Remove the battery
and clear CMOS and see if the error persists (leave the battery out).

Let us know what happens.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 9:00am
So if the CMOS battery was dead, I wouldn't be getting these random freezes so doesn't look like that's the problem. I will try reset CMOS, just been really busy and haven't been able to get to it as been really busy.

Date Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 9:03am
Oh, and to answer your question- no I haven't made any recent changes that could cause this. I'm starting to wonder if it is a graphics issue though, as I am using a vertical GPU mount but it is one that is quite far from the side window. If resetting CMOS doesn't work, I'll try just plugging my GPU into the motherboard and remove the vertical GPU mount. I guess I could replace the CMOS battery just to be safe.

Date Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 11:01am
UPDATE: Clearing CMOS didn't work. Also updated bios to 4.70 (the latest) and this hasn't worked either. Just going into town now to get a new CMOS battery. I'll try that first, and then if that doesn't work I'll change the GPU.

Date Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 12:26pm
UPDATE: Replaced the CMOS battery and did a clean boot as suggested by a fellow IT technician and good friend of mine (left the battery out for 10 mins). This hasn't fixed it. Next I will try booting with ram in B & D slots, and then A & C. I'm quite exhausted for today so will try this tomorrow. If this doesn't work I'll try putting the GPU directly into the motherboard.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Date Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by ThreeDee ThreeDee wrote:

Do you know what BIOS is running on the Taichi?

I had a similar issue with the X470 Master SLI/ac on an older BIOS with a launch blower style 5700xt .. the issue stemmed from the board not negotiating properly with the PCIe 4.0 of the video card. I had to manually set the x16 slot to GEN2 until ASRock released a BIOS that gave the option of GEN3/GEN2/GEN1 instead of AUTO/GEN2/GEN1 .. sooo ... if running a really old BIOS, that could potentially be your problem..

Set to GEN2 and then update the BIOS if that is indeed the case.

If this is not the case .. try pulling out 2 sticks of RAM and leave slots A2/B2 populated and see if system runs stable. I've had issues running 4 sticks on 2000 series Ryzen with both a 2700x and a 2200g.

Tried setting it to GEN2 but made no difference.

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 10:06am
UPDATE: Me and my friend suspected it could be the vertical GPU mount so I took it out and plugged the GPU into the motherboard. Still beeping on startup. We suspected this because on startup after a crash the graphics drivers wouldn't work and I'd have to select them in device manager and would take a while for it to recognize (even after installing the drivers, an exclamation mark would stay for a few minutes). Seeing as this hasn't fixed it I suspect it's just a result of the crash. Just need to try the ram tests as mentioned above. If all this seems to be taking a while it's simply because I have an undiagnosed condition where I lose energy and strength in my muscles pretty quick as well as getting quite shaky. So just taking it easy and taking my time.

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2021 at 1:35pm
UPDATE: Turns out it was a dead hard drive connected to the motherboard that was causing it to beep. Actually upgraded the CPU to a 3800X thinking this'll fix it but don't regret it as it's awesome. Thanks for your help all

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net