Print Page | Close Window

Z170, DDR4 2666, low memory bandwidth "scores"...

Printed From: ASRock.com
Category: Technical Support
Forum Name: Intel Motherboards
Forum Description: Question about ASRock Intel Motherboards
URL: https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1943
Printed Date: 27 Jun 2024 at 12:06am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Z170, DDR4 2666, low memory bandwidth "scores"...
Posted By: propergol
Subject: Z170, DDR4 2666, low memory bandwidth "scores"...
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 12:12am
Hi,
On my Z170M Extreme4 with an Intel Core i3-6100 (3.7GHz) I get terrible DDR4 bandwidth.

The memory is Kingston HX426C15FBK2/16 : http://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/HX426C15FBK2_16.pdf

The memory is working in dual channel mode at its XMP settings so
2666Mhz 15-17-17-35-347-2T

The measured bandwidth sounds very low to me (but I can be wrong) :
Single core Read 13.7 GB/s
Single core Write 10.3 GB/s
Single core Mixed 13.3 GB/s
Multicore Read 17 GB/s
Multicore  Write 10.2 GB/s
Multicore  Mixed 12.4 GB/s

Does it looks like expected DDR4 2666 bandwidth? or is there any evidence of bad perfs?

Thanks

EDIT : added some screens of one of the bench 

With some OCing

Replies:
Posted By: parsec
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 1:31am
What are you using to test memory bandwidth, so we can use it ourselves for testing and comparison purposes?

Depending upon the test being run, and if you have CPU power savings options enabled, C States in particular (which I normally have enabled), can cause relatively high latency. The processor cores can be literally powered down, and the time it takes them to wake up can definitely affect benchmark and real world performance.

That is even noticeable when running storage benchmarks on SSDs, whose latency is still much greater than a processor's and DRAM memory under any circumstance.

The maximum memory bandwidth of all Skylake processors, including yours, is 34.1 GB/s:

http://ark.intel.com/products/90729/Intel-Core-i3-6100-Processor-3M-Cache-3_70-GHz" rel="nofollow - http://ark.intel.com/products/90729/Intel-Core-i3-6100-Processor-3M-Cache-3_70-GHz

The memory timings of DDR4, being almost if not exactly twice that of common DDR3 memory (DDR4 of 17, DDR3 of 9) is a factor not in favor of DDR4 memory.

-------------
http://valid.x86.fr/48rujh" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 1:57am
Thanks for the infos.
I have tried everything including reseting bios serval times, turning off all CPU C states stuff, using XMP profil, using manual profil, even used slot A1-B1 rather than advised A2-B2.
I get consistant same results using different benchmarks.

The results I did post are coming from a very small and short bench from  http://www.userbenchmark.com/" rel="nofollow - http://www.userbenchmark.com/

My results are here at the bottom of the page you have the memory bench : http://?www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/737637" rel="nofollow -   http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/737637" rel="nofollow - http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/737637

SiSoftware Sandra gives me nearly the same results.

Posted By: Xaltar
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 2:00am
As Parsec said, without knowing the benchmark you used we can't know for sure. Just an educated guess though I would be inclined to believe they are low scores based on my own memory benchmark results across several different benchmarks.

I use Maxxmem2 for my reviews as a memory benchmark, maybe you can try run that 3-4 times and average the results and post back. You should easily find it via google and there is a free version.

Here is a benchmark of my system using DDR4 @2133 but I have tightened my timings quite a bit as you can see. 

[edit] you posted while I was posting Tongue

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 2:18am
I did use the same benchmark as you and did one test with "stock" settings @1.2V and an other with some OC and lower timings @1.35V.
Aside from my latency all other results are....low :

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 2:25am
Here are a few runs I did using AIDA64 Extreme. Sorry for all the pics, the free version's main memory benchmark blocks out to many results on one page:

READ

WRITE

LATENCY

My memory is at 3200, so above yours in speed.

All benchmarks are different and can't be compared between each other. Please try what Xaltar used, MaxxMEM², and I used AIDA64 Extreme free edition, here:

http://www.aida64.com/downloads" rel="nofollow - http://www.aida64.com/downloads

Run them and post your results, and then we can decide if your memory is lacking in speed. I would be surprised if it is honestly, IMO it's the difference in benchmarks you are seeing. I'll try running the one you used later.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 2:35am
propergol, I see you beat me with my suggestion, but that is great! Thumbs Up

No need to run AIDA64, we can use MaxxMEM. So to be on the same page... uhm, benchmark, here ya go:

Your results do seem low. Is that caused by your CPU being different? Xaltar and I have the same processor, mine OC'd to 4.2GHz.

More from me later.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 2:37am
Maxxmem2 is pretty accurate from my testing and even my DDR3 kits have provided better results than yours so something is definitely up there. I would try clearing CMOS, I usually use http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=630&title=how-to-clear-cmos-via-battery-removal" rel="nofollow - this method to be absolutely sure it is cleared correctly.

Once you have cleared CMOS do not alter anything in the BIOS, leave everything at factory defaults and run the benchmark again to get a basal score. Once you have that you can then go back and set your XMP profile and bench again. If the score is still low try setting your RAM to DDR4 2600 (using a 100mhz base rather than the 133mhz base of 2666mhz) and see if that makes a difference.

Post back your results.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 3:40am
I already have clear CMOS jumper+battery at least 3 time. Smile

Booted with stock settings = same results.

My 2 Kingston sticks are on the compatibility list for the Asrock Z170M Extreme4 so I realy don't catch what's happening.

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 4:04am
That is very odd. I assume you have no stability issues with the system and that it has passed stress testing with either Intel Burn in Test (IBT) or Prime95?

Those scores are sub DDR3 1333 and that should not be the case at all. It may be worth trying to reseat the CPU and checking for bent pins in the socket. 

Did you try setting the RAM speed to 2600 and testing again?
Also when you say same results do you mean DDR4 2133 (stock settings) and DDR4 2666 are yielding the same (or very close) scores?

Another quick question, are you on the latest BIOS for your board? I would avoid the one that disables Sky OC if you plan to overclock the system though.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 4:23am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

That is very odd. I assume you have no stability issues with the system and that it has passed stress testing with either Intel Burn in Test (IBT) or Prime95?

Those scores are sub DDR3 1333 and that should not be the case at all. It may be worth trying to reseat the CPU and checking for bent pins in the socket. 

Did you try setting the RAM speed to 2600 and testing again?
Also when you say same results do you mean DDR4 2133 (stock settings) and DDR4 2666 are yielding the same (or very close) scores?

Another quick question, are you on the latest BIOS for your board? I would avoid the one that disables Sky OC if you plan to overclock the system though.

When I discovered that slow mem issue my bios was already modded with latest OROM, EFI, microcode etc... based on the official Asrock 1.50 bios. Also my Intel MEI firmware was updated to the latest version aviable (v11.0.0.1202).
So I did revert to stock bios but nothing changed, the RAM speed was exaclty the same with moded or stock bios.
The only thing I can think of is the MEI firmware that stay updated even if I did flashed back stock bios.
I will try to downgrade it first, then check CPU socket.

During my tests I did run at least 3x24h Prime95 test, each run with different setting, and the mem intensive one with 14GB to be used.
So yes Tongue it is stable.

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 4:42am
Good so at least the system is stable. 

It may be worth running memtest and seeing if maybe the RAM itself has an issue.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 4:57am
What is very strange is this low mem read/write while CPUZ, AIDA, HInfo etc...report correct timmings, speed and so on.
When you look at Asrock Z170 bios updates changelogs there are a lot of "Improve DRAM compatibility"...
Maybe it could be a bios issue even if my RAM sticks are listed as compatible.

Anyway, will stop here for today and restart debugging tomorowTongue

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 11:12pm
Ok, after some chat with Plutomaniac from http://www.win-raid.com" rel="nofollow - www.win-raid.com  it appear that it would be very unlikely that my MEI firmware's update would be responsable of my slow system memory.

So...next thing I did try is to bench my RAM not under Windows 10 pro but from a live Linux USB : exact same results, my memory bandwidth is as low as Windows tests.

I now realy think that it is simply a Asrock bios compatibility issue with this RAM.

Since it would probably take ages before Asrock acknowledge this compatibimity issue, I will purchase a new kit to test and confirm.

Do you know of any particular 16GB dual channel kit that is 100% known as tested/working on the Z170 Asrock mobos? I would like (if possible) it to be rated @ 1.2V and avoid 1.35V kits, 2800MHz max (higher freq are ridiculously expansive).

Thanks again for your help.

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 11:45pm
Well my board is the ASRock H170 Combo and the RAM used in the benchmark I provided is:

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2800 2x4gb CMK8GX4M2A2800C16R

It wasn't overly expensive and even at 2133 performs quite well. Given my board is H170 based I do not have the option to run it at it's rated 2800 speeds. Generally if a kit is compatible with one board in a series it should be compatible with them all.

-------------

Posted By: greddy
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 12:15am
ASROCK Z170 has a problem with HYPER X FURY 2666

I have Z170 PRO4 and found out the same problem as you. Half score mem bandwidth

I tried to go back to first BIOS v.  and found that it worked  for PRO4 is v.2.00 (now v.3.10)

but if i go back to this v.  it has a problem with RAM slot A2 and B2 which it was fixed on the higher v.

So i've to put just only one RAM and open XMP profile and shut it down then i can go on Dual channel.

AIDA64 test is normal. Asrock tech, you guys should check this immediately!!!!!!!!!.

You may tried on BIOS 1.10 that should be okay.

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 12:27am
Originally posted by greddy greddy wrote:

ASROCK Z170 has a problem with HYPER X FURY 2666

I have Z170 PRO4 and found out the same problem as you. Half score mem bandwidth

I tried to go back to first BIOS v.  and found that it worked  for PRO4 is v.2.00 (now v.3.10)

but if i go back to this v.  it has a problem with RAM slot A2 and B2 which it was fixed on the higher v.

So i've to put just only one RAM and open XMP profile and shut it down then i can go on Dual channel.

AIDA64 test is normal. Asrock tech, you guys should check this immediately!!!!!!!!!.

You may tried on BIOS 1.60 that should be okay.

Interesting!
My mobo is Z170M Extreme4 and the latest bios is 1.50 but if you face probleme with the same ram as me, I guess tha ball is in Asrock side.

I will try to see what only one stick gives in XMP profiles. What I can see now with 2 sticks looks correct but I will give it a try.

EDIT : @Xaltar
I did check your ram and it is sadly not on Corsair compatibility list nor on the Asrock one.

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 12:34am
Hi there,
Yoy may try to go back down on  1.40  ----  1.30  ---- 1.10

and see what v. is working. Now i may look to sell this RAM and buy G SKILL RIPJAW V  instead.

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 1:32am
Flashed 1.40, 1.30 resetting CMOS each time : no luck.
I will try other brand and model :

-G-Skill F4-2666C15D-16GRR
-Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15

Thanks to Amazon for its free return Big smile

But that's definetly not serious from Asrock to list a memory kit as compatible when it is not...

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 1:59am
My RAM may not be on the list but it is tested and working in my system which is about as certain as you can get that it will work Wink I mentioned it because it was reasonably priced, is 1.2v and performs well in my system. Given that there is now a second user with a similar issue, again with Kingston I would go for a different brand on the RAM. You will likely be best off with something on the supported list so you can be certain that if there is still an issue it is not compatibility related on the new kit. The kit I am using works fine for me in my setup though and I can vouch for it's reliability and performance but that is on an H170 board not a Z170 so take it as you will Wink

Kingston is one of the brands purportedly compatible with the "DDR4 OC" feature so I have a suspicion that may be where the problem is coming from. Do you have a "DDR4 OC" option under OC tweaker in your BIOS? It should only appear when a compatible RAM kit is installed in the system. If you do try testing the different settings it has available and see if that fixes your issue.

I should have remembered DDR4 OC before Embarrassed

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 2:27am
Originally posted by propergol propergol wrote:

Flashed 1.40, 1.30 resetting CMOS each time : no luck.
I will try other brand and model :

-G-Skill F4-2666C15D-16GRR
-Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15

Thanks to Amazon for its free return Big smile

But that's definetly not serious from Asrock to list a memory kit as compatible when it is not...

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series F4-2666C15D-16GVR You may like this one, it's for Z170

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 3:43am
I have ordered both kit Dead ...I was a bit on edgeBig smile

Regarding the OC thing with ram, I can choose nearly any frequency, but also choose inside XMP table.
I already did try everything : nothing change the low bandwidth.
I don't remember if its called OC or not and WON'T GO A SINGLE MORE TIME INSIDE THIS F...G bios todayLOL

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 10:42am

I have ordered both kit Dead ...I was a bit on edgeBig smile

Regarding the OC thing with ram, I can choose nearly any frequency, but also choose inside XMP table.
I already did try everything : nothing change the low bandwidth.
I don't remember if its called OC or not and WON'T GO A SINGLE MORE TIME INSIDE THIS F...G bios todayLOL

Yes, there's no problem with others brands just only HYPER X FURY 2666. Now i decided to sell this one away and will buy RIPJAW V instead. At the fรrst time i thought the problem came from RAM but after i claim and got new one, the result is the same so i think the problem happened by my mobo. I try to gathering the info and i found this thread that's why i know it's from BIOS.

http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/62003-z170-extreme4-poor-performance-ram-bios-1-80-2-10-a.html

Posted By: wardog
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 4:31pm
propergol, take them off XMP and instead set them manually. Clear the BIOS to UEFI Defaults and reboot first though, doing the UEFI Defaults twice before setting them manually.

I've seen here that there are the occasional tweak in SPD timings that for whatever reason some kits just don't like to play nice when set via XMP.

Post back your results please.

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

propergol, take them off XMP and instead set them manually. Clear the BIOS to UEFI Defaults and reboot first though, doing the UEFI Defaults twice before setting them manually.

I've seen here that there are the occasional tweak in SPD timings that for whatever reason some kits just don't like to play nice when set via XMP.

Post back your results please.

Reseted four time to UEFI default, saved and reboot each time, set then memory manualy : same slow bandwidth.

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 5:11pm

Reseted four time to UEFI default, saved and reboot each time, set then memory manualy : same slow bandwidth.

Late to the show here.

Is this with the iGPU or are you using a separate video card?

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 5:34pm

Late to the show here.

Is this with the iGPU or are you using a separate video card?
IGPU

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 11:44pm
Eww, you have LV, 1.2v, memory.

Throw a different kit in there and retest. Regular/Standard voltage memory.

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 2:10am

Eww, you have LV, 1.2v, memory.

Throw a different kit in there and retest. Regular/Standard voltage memory.

Yes its 1.2V, its intended to be run in my home server and power consumption is important as its running 24h24/365days.
But again : this ram is on Asrock compatibility list.

I already tried to run them @1.35V @2666 and even at lower frequency even with relaxed timming = measured bandwidth doesn't match at all the RAM frequency.

I will try in the next days others sticks from other brand as stated some posts back.

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 3:22am
As I said before, I suspect there is some kind of hiccup happening as a result of the DDR4 OC feature as Kingston is one of the brands supported by it. Something isn't dialing in right is my guess.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 4:09pm
I have some feedback from Asrock's Europe support : it should be a bios issue, but all guys in Taiwan are on holidays, and a new bios won't come before Feb. 18...

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 4:11pm

I have some feedback from Asrock's Europe support : it should be a bios issue, but all guys in Taiwan are on holidays, and a new bios won't come before Feb. 18...

Thank you for the update. That's exactly what i thought. 

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2016 at 2:02am
Just received new RAM kits.
I did only tested one, the GSkill F4-2666C15D-16GRR and...and...

IT WORKS!
I am currently stress testing the system and will post bench later.
Currently the ram is occed to 3066MHz with only 1.25V and stock 2666 XMP timings!

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2016 at 2:27am
Awesome, good to hear you have your system running properly now Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2016 at 3:43am
If Asrock want's to hire me in order to test RAM kits/ bios compatibility, I will only charge $350 per test and certificationParty

Posted By: DooRules
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 1:51am
Throw my mem run in for a look. I changed to 1T

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 10:56pm
Hope the new Version will be available soon.

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 12:26am
Originally posted by DooRules DooRules wrote:

Throw my mem run in for a look. I changed to 1T

Just... just... stop it!! Wink

I tried to come close to your result, tried being the keyword here...

Then I realized I have a mere 8GB, and you have 16GB. Angry

Yeah, you threw it in here for a look... Censored

But my memory is 3.3ns faster than yours, an eternity in real world usage. LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 5:49am
Originally posted by greddy greddy wrote:

Hope the new Version will be available soon.
It is Wink

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net