Forum Description: Question about ASRock AMD motherboards
URL: https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=19833
Printed Date: 27 Apr 2024 at 12:05am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Blank UEFI/BIOS, no splash screen, no Boot Menu£n
Posted By: Very Frustrated
Subject: Blank UEFI/BIOS, no splash screen, no Boot Menu£n
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 12:06pm
This motherboard boots to Windows 10 just fine, consistently. I just can't change anything in the BIOS settings, as I CAN'T SEE THE SCREEN.

I've tried everything to get a BIOS Upgrade Screen to upgrade an old Ryzen 7 1700 to a 5 5600X, but it's not only impossible to update the BIOS, now after these efforts the system runs slower than ever.

Tried booting with monitors on each of the 5 connections on my RTX 2700; then pressing DEL BLANK, F6 BLANK, F4 BLANK (tried using 2 different monitors)
WHATEVER IS GOING ON WHILE A BLANK SCREEN IS DISPLAYED? I CAN'T SEE, fans are running slowly and NUM and CAP locks lights change, there's just NO DISPLAY OUTPUT. A second POWER touch boots right into Windows fine.

-     Tried crossing the wires of the CMOS Reset, boots to BLANK (with fans and lights seeming fine). Then after hitting the power button to shut off, and again to power up, boots right into Windows. (tried using 2 different monitors)
-     Removed the CMOS battery. Boots to BLANK. Simply hitting the power button shuts down, once more boots right into Windows
(tried using 2 different monitors)

-     Swapped in a GTX 960 card??rebooted again, and again with each of the 4 possible video outputs connected??BLANK every time (tried using 2 different monitors)

-     Tried running the old ASRock Restart to UEFI, BLANK with responsive keyboard just NO DISPLAY OUTPUT (tried using 2 different monitors)

-     Disabled Windows fastboot, more of the same

I'm not saying this all on ASRock, as many other people have been reporting similar experiences with American Megatrends Inc. UEFI (GARBAGE) code FAILING to display menus across many vendors. Does ASRock use AMI? I can't tell since I see nothing while it?™s booting. ?¦just comment boards are full of angry confused people, and have been for several years about just this od issue, and most mention AMI.

Under Win7, users could update the BIOS from the OS using ASRock Live Update & App Shop. Please bring it back or craft SOMETHING/ANYTHING to sort out this mess.
- I can't see the BIOS Menu?™s?
- Can't upgrade or replace the OS partition
- Can't update the UEFI/BIOS
- Can't boot from alternate drives
- Can't optimize my system

Replies:
Posted By: Xaltar
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 3:54pm
What are your system specs, including monitor connection type (DVI, DP, HDMI etc)?
What slot do you have the GPU installed in? Are you using any adapters to connect
to your monitors? The blank screen issue usually happens when the system is defaulting
to a particular display output that is not being used, most commonly DVI when available.
It is incredibly annoying when it happens. I have only experienced it once, interestingly,
using a GTX 960 and a GTX 1660. When I installed an RX 590 in the same board the
problem went away, even when I went back to the 1660.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 2:20am
ASRock B450M Pro4
BIOS 1.6
RAM 2x8=16GB 2400 (no longer running XMP Timing)
Slotted in the only 16x PCIe slot:
- ZOTAC RTX 2700 (TU106-400 rA1)
- (oops, I was wrong about the old spare GPU) eVGA GTX 760SC

2 monitors:
Asus VC239 small 1080p panel with hdmi/DVI
...using (from/to) DVI/DVI, hdmi/hdmi, DP/DVI for the Asus
Visio E43-F1 4k hdmi
...using hdmi/hdmi for the Visio

Google doc of CPU-Z Report (site doesn't support links to secure URLs?!?)
https://tinyurl.com/ypsatrzu" rel="nofollow - https://tinyurl.com/ypsatrzu

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 2:38am
Sorry for not saying:
Thank you in advance for ANY suggestions you can share to remedy this...

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 2:50am
Great, thanks for the extra info. You can try entering the BIOS (I know, nothing
is displayed), then switch the cable to other outputs on your GPU, see if any of
them pull up a display. Try all of them, if the system is entering the BIOS then
it should output a display on one of them. If that does not work, try some different
HDMI cables, they can be notoriously picky sometimes and if you have a bad or incorrect
version cable it could be that your system is displaying on an HDMI output but
the cable is preventing your monitor from picking it up until the OS changes the
HDMI mode/refresh rate.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 10:09am
I used 4 different cables, all of which work perfectly with Win10, on two different monitors.

Since then, I tried a weird LG widescreen monitor which has 2 hdmi inputs. Again BLANK, the NUM and CAP lock lights change, but NO UEFI/BIOS UI is displayed.

I already tried, with fresh reboots, using 5 RTX2070 ports and 4 GTX760 ports... BLANK (with responsive keyboard) every time.

I'll run through the procedure you suggest with the RTX 2070 again:
1 hdmi, 3 DP, 2 DVI, but I already did this just slower due to reboots.

Thanks for giving a... trying to help.

...thing is all of them work perfectly in Win10, yet are just BLANK for the AMI UEFI/BIOS

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 10:24am
Seems I need someone to say, work blindly and do this:
- Reboot
- press F6
- (I can't see) I have a USB drive with a new BIOS, what buttons to select, affirm, continue reliably?
- should I detach all other drives? I don't know?
-- is their a prefered USB3 port? I don't know?
-- this is how long it will take? (this PC has a UPS, so not an issue)
-- HOW DO I BLINDLY UPDATE this machine? In words/button presses, as I can't SEE ANYTHING, just a BLANK screen?

That would be helpful. I know the particulars of motherboard, BIOS, CPU make that impractical.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 12:54pm
It's STILL A PROBLEM for me.

Motherboard/EUFI/BIOS that's just BLANK!

Is there ANY WAY I can flash this garbage BIOS to a more useful version?

Can't do, or much of anything, when I can't SEE the UI!

BLANK screen, BLANK screen, BLANK.. it's getting old, and ASRock hasn't dealt with this mess, and clearly never will.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 3:46pm
Try getting in touch with ASRock directly:
https://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp" rel="nofollow - https://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp

I am afraid I am stumped... I can certainly understand your frustration.
Good luck, hopefully they can sort your issue out.

-------------

Posted By: spacednow
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 3:14am
Just curious. Did you try downloading and installing restart to UEFI program from Asrock? There are several programs that can cause a reboot into safe mode also. Be careful here though, I had one get stuck endlessly rebooting into safe mode, took the better part of a day to figure that out. The are some options to load bios presets from a USB on all B450 asrock boards (I think), but you would have to get sombody to upload default bios settings for your board and do a little research on how to load it (download the manual for your board). Good luck.

-------------
The more you learn the less you know.

Posted By: kerberos_20
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 8:24pm
restart uefi wont reboot into uefi, it just disables fastboot so you can press del key to enter bios

try switching your monitor to different GPU video port, bios might be running on different port then your monitor is connected (wouldnt be nothing unusual)
if that wont go, then i guess bios update frm windows is your next best bet

ami has windows update tool
https://www.ami.com/bios-uefi-utilities/" rel="nofollow - https://www.ami.com/bios-uefi-utilities/
on this page click on Aptio V Firmware update utility, accept eula and download it, then extract that zip file
go to afu -> afuwin -> 64 folder
there you will find another zip file, extract it, then click through folder until you get to files
open afuwinx64gui.exe (btw its win 11 compatible)
on that afuwin window click open button, locate your bios file downloaded from asrock, you have to select all files to see it, by default it will see .rom or .cap files and asrock is using numbers as extension
if you find your file and it says that it cant open it, move your bios file somewhere else (like on c:\)
once its opened, it will switch to setup page
check mark program all blocks, then click flash button
it will take a while, once done, turn off PC, then turn it on (as it usualy needs power cycle)
done

-------------
http://valid.x86.fr/diq4l4" rel="nofollow">
http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/47132492" rel="nofollow - userbenchmark

Date Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 5:12pm
Thanks so much for the adise. I've been busy through a holiday time.

Found one odd set of instructions, for a different Bios/motherboard, which I'll try tomorrow:
https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5555&title=solved-ab350m-pro-4-uefi-settings-black-screen" rel="nofollow - https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5555&title=solved-ab350m-pro-4-uefi-settings-black-screen

SOLUTION TO PROBLEM:
Problem: UEFI settings not able to be accessed via Windows, no ASRock Boot Logo w/settings. Computer will just restart back to windows or show a black screen when booting to UEFI settings from Windows 10. This issue may apply to some AMD GPU's using Displayport and the UEFI Settings by default booting to your monitors native HD resolution. This must be disabled for you to be able to consistently boot back into UEFI Settings.

Solution:
Instructions(for dummies):

1. Power off computer completely and disconnect power, remove any externally powered analog speaker cables hooked into the jack.
2. Press the power button for 15 seconds to discharge the capacitors. Discharge any static or wear a static wrist band and pop the case open.
3. Under the second x8 PCI-E slot and at the bottom center of the Mobo, you will see a 3-Pin connector with a jumper on it. Remove the jumper and move it ONE PIN to the right.
4. Wait 5 seconds and move the jumper ONE PIN to the left.
5. Reconnect power and boot.
6. UEFI ASRock Splash Screen will show once and one time only so hit F2/DEL and boot to UEFI **WHEN THE LOGO APPEARS** HITTING F2/DEL BEFORE THE LOGO APPEARS WILL CAUSE THE SPLASH SCREEN NOT TO APPEAR AND YOU WILL HAVE TO RESTART AT STEP 1!!
7. Once in UEFI navigate to "Advanced" and use the down arrow until you highlight "Full HD UEFI"
8. A selection box will appear, select disable and hit enter.
9. Navigate to the "Exit" tab and select "Save Changes and Exit"
*Computer reboots and may display the post screen or just go to Windows*

If no splash screen appears, do not worry this is a integrated fast boot feature windows uses.

Boot to UEFI from Windows 10:

1.Log in to you machine and right click the Windows Start Logo
2. Mouse over to "Shut down or Sign Out" and over again to restart.
3. Press and hold LSHIFT while clicking restart. Windows will now boot to the Troubleshooting screen.
4. Once in the troubleshooting screen, click the "Troubleshooting" box and then the "Advanced Options" box.
5. Now finally, click the "UEFI Firmware Settings" box and then "Restart", your machine will boot into the UEFI (After disabling the HD Feature).

So i hope this helps guys, ASRock if you need any info from me please let me know. I'd like to work with you to have this fixed in a future BIOS update. This could cause a less computer savy person to RMA their board or write a nasty review.

_____
Then there's using the AMI FIRMWARE UPDATE (AFU) to update the BIOS via Win10...

I'll try the first, and if needed the AMI UTILITY tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for trying to help!

I'll tell you what happens when I'm sober and ready to slowly, carefully, patiently try to upgrade the CPU.

For the record, I was totally sober when I tried, swapped out video cards, rebooted countless times... just at the moment I'm kinda drunk and appriating the AMD Win10 Bios update tool which I had no idea exists.

It's such a small thing. A little better performance, some more life out of a consumer product. Wish it was easier. Not giving up, just not now with so much cabernet sauvignon flowing though me.

Date Posted: 28 Nov 2021 at 4:23am
The AMI FIRMWARE UPDATE (AFU) failed, reporting "ROM hole not exist".
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nlsovnVU2E72rDluLc138_M4Mo7s3tJ6/view?usp=drivesdk" rel="nofollow - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nlsovnVU2E72rDluLc138_M4Mo7s3tJ6/view?usp=drivesdk

Selecting "Program All Blocks" forces writing to all ROM holes. Unselecting ROM hole 1 (only hole not grayed out) DEselects "Program All Blocks"

Is it safe run with everything selected, aside from "Program All Blocks"/ROM hole?

I also tried the detailed CMOS reset instructions, but got nothing but a blank screen, double reboot and straight into Win10. (all without user input) - No splash screen.

Thanks very much for you effort!

Date Posted: 29 Nov 2021 at 9:37am
I give up... no idea when or how the AMI Bios quit displaying, but this motherboard is going into the trash.

It worked great for 3.5 years, which isn't what I expected, but still not terrible.

Looked around for a replacement and chose one on sale, ASRock B550M STEEL LEGEND AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard.

If that doesn't support my 5000 Ryzen out-of-the-box, nor my old 1700 to update the BIOS... I'LL!!!! ...be even more frustrated and just send it back and buy another brand.

WHY IS UPGRADING MY CPU SO IMPOSSIBLE?!??!

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 12:39pm
The new motherboard displayed BIOS menus perfectly.
Effortlessly Flashed the required Bios update while running my Ryzen 5 5600X.

System is stable and performing well...

Unfortunately this machine had an OEM Windows 10 license, which MS DeActivated, and their scripted procedure just burps up something like... We can't reactivate Windows as our servers aren't available right now (for 2 days? That's not an error message, it's an evasion)

Consider this thread dead for me... The AsRock B450M Pro4 is going into the trash.

If the new one quits displaying Bios/EUFI menus. Well there's always Mac.

It's been a VERY disappointing experience, so needlessly painful.

--Oh replace a defective part with another from the same vendor... the new motherboard was on a 1/3 off sale at the time, and from user comments all over the internet, it's apparent MANY companies can't sortout this problem when things go wrong.

Posted By: Jeff_TH
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2021 at 12:04am
Very Frustrated, were you ever able to get into the UEFI/BIOS? If so, by chance was "Fast Boot" turned on? If so, the "Restart to UEFI" utility might get you into something you can see.

-------------
Jeff Heyen

Date Posted: 25 Dec 2021 at 12:24pm
No, nothing worked. The Asrock b450m pro4 just refused to display ANYTHING while booting. (I KNOW it used to work, as I tuned the CPU and RAM right after I bought it, but at some point, it just quit displaying, while continuing to work)

How can BIOS, something intrinsically STATIC, behave differently over time, just stop working?

The new motherboard displays BIOS/UEFI menus just fine with all the same kit.

Microsoft refused to transfer the OEM Win10 license to it, but associated with my account I had an old license from a dead system I built by hand in 2012... so I just transferred that and didn't have to add insult to injury by being forced to pay for a new OS license.

Posted By: cdub3d
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 2:53am
I just went through this after upgrading to Win 11 and needing to get in to enable secure boot to satisfy a game requirement. Similar to others, I am running two monitors. One hdmi and one displayport. It looked like it was booting into UEFI mode but just a black screen. Here's what I did. It took three boots to figure out:

Disconnect the HDMI monitor and plug in the display port, alone, in the first position, and reboot from within windows choosing the UEFI mode on the reboot. That's it. No resetting cmos, nothing else special. Just dropping to the single monitor and rebooting.

I had tried, unsuccessfully, on previous boots:
Trying every available port, both hdmi and displayport, while it should've been in UEFI mode
Hdmi monitor alone, in the only port on my 2070 super, and in the mobo hmdi port. separate boots.
Display port monitor but in another port on the card.

It only worked, for me, in the right most port on my card, with no other monitor plugged in. And now I'm back to regularly scheduled programming. :)
Hope it helps someone.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net