Forum Description: Question about ASRock AMD motherboards
URL: https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=24833
Printed Date: 18 Apr 2024 at 11:43am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: PC not starting after adding new M.2 SSD
Posted By: ESChestnut
Subject: PC not starting after adding new M.2 SSD
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 3:18pm
After adding a Crucial - P3 1TB to my B450M-HDV R4, my PC gets stuck on the motherboard logo screen and doesn't register my keyboard inputs to get into the boot menu. This is my 3rd storage device and when I just have the other two in, it boots fine. When by itself it doesn't boot nor does it when it's just the M.2 with the SSD that has my OS. Should I just buy another SATA SSD or can I get it to work with the M.2?

Replies:
Posted By: cx5
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 3:35pm
Hello @ESChestnut

try changing the 3rd SSD sata port,

because some actual signal routes are shared between here and there, read your motherboard's manual more more carefully and you will notice some place has small prints, if you use port 1 then can't use port 5, etc etc.....

i.e. my x370 taichi M2.socket2 cannot be used together PCIe_slot5, because they are both wired together as one or the other.

-------------
x370taichi@3.50gen4
AX750 Optane900P SN770
3800x PosdonZro4 BarrowPWM-17w>420x140x28
XFX SWFT319 6900XT
MSI RX560 LP to get Fluid Motion BlueskyFRC 75hz

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 8:57am
Hi @cx5, even after trying the different SATA slots, my PC stays frozen at the motherboard boot up screen. In BIOS, it says that my SSD with my OS is the first in boot up, but still freezes when my M.2 is inserted. The only thing from my manual regarding storage is:       1 x Ultra M.2 Socket, supports M Key type 2242/2260/2280
M.2 SATA3 6.0 Gb/s module and M.2 PCI Express module up
to Gen3 x4 (32 Gb/s) (with Matisse, Picasso, Summit Ridge,
Raven Ridge and Pinnacle Ridge) or Gen3 x2 (16 Gb/s) (with
Athlon series APU)*
* Supports NVMe SSD as boot disks
* Supports ASRock U.2 Kit

Does this mean that SATA3 can't be used with M.2?

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 4:43pm
Hello,

Good to hear your keyboard is working and able to enter BIOS. Previously sounded like you can't enter bios after adding 3rd SSD = Crucial P3 1TB

No idea what's going on your side.

May be if you tell more accurately what you plug in and what not plug in, your description is quite confusing.

-------------
x370taichi@3.50gen4
AX750 Optane900P SN770
XFX SWFT319 6900XT

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 10:24pm
When I plug in my Crucial P3, whether my SATA SSD is plugged in or not, my PC is stuck at the motherboard logo screen. But when it is not plugged in, my computer works perfectly fine.

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 1:25pm
Hello @ESChestnut

OK, let's see if I understand correctly.

Old OK state was: -
A) Sata_SSD_1_brand_A_capacity_X in socket sata_1 with OS windows version ???
B) Sata_SSD_2_brand_B_capacity_Y in socket sata_2 without OS just for data
C) M.2 socket is not occupied

I suspect MBR partition type is used in A) is this true? please confirm back.

See MBR vs. GPT = https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/mbr-vs-gpt-whats-the-difference-between-an-mbr-partition-and-a-gpt-partition-solved/#:~:text=As%20MBR%20is%20older%2C%20it" rel="nofollow - https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/mbr-vs-gpt-whats-the-difference-between-an-mbr-partition-and-a-gpt-partition-solved/#:~:text=As%20MBR%20is%20older%2C%20it 's,is%20starting%20to%20catch%20up.

MBR vs. GPT is important because there's a BOOT setting that calls for only GPT
- and will not boot MBR (i.e. your old Sata_SSD),
-- which I suspect your NVMe_SSD_3_Crucial_P3_1TB in socket M.2 is GPT.
--- but no, if you've not even managed to boot, hence not yet format the P3_1TB, hence no yet have GPT nor MBR???? please confirm back.

In order to boot GPT partition format, must disable CSM something something or NO legacy something something, forgot what exactly sorry, it's one of those things when you look at the UEFI you'll know ah ha that one....

Hence when you
>remove A) Sata_SSD_1_brand_A_capacity_X in socket sata_1 with OS windows version ???
and
>remove B) Sata_SSD_2_brand_B_capacity_Y in socket sata_2 without OS just for data
and
>plug_in C) M.2 socket alone wtih NVMe_SSD_3_Crucial_P3_1TB
it cannot boot ....
---- but no, wait, if you've not even managed to boot once with C), means you haven't even transfer OS from A) to C)

hmmmmm, MBR or GPT worst case is can't boot,
----- but UEFI bios will show the Crucial_P3_1TB exists.......
-------- and the problem is you can't even enter UEFI bios with it .......
possible last conclusion it is defective dead or arrival DOA, please plug the Crucial_P3_1TB into another computer to check.

-------------
x370taichi@3.50gen4
AX750 Optane900P SN770
XFX SWFT319 6900XT

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 3:04pm
Hi cx5!

Sadly, my PC still stays frozen even after disabling CMS. I also tried keeping CMS on while disabling Legacy and UEFI only for the PXE and Storage opROM Policies. I'm not sure what else to try.

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 8:33am
Sorr to hear @ESChestnut

Most likely now, very very possible last conclusion it is defective dead or arrival DOA, please plug the Crucial_P3_1TB into another computer to check.

-------------
x370taichi@3.50gen4
AX750 Optane900P SN770
XFX SWFT319 6900XT

Posted By: mainalberto
Date Posted: 02 Sep 2022 at 3:20am
I have the same problem on a B365 PRO 4 F, just hangs during BIOS POST.
SSD: WESTERN DIGITAL SN530 Nvme 256

This mainboard BIOS-POSTs fine without that Nvme SSD, boots fine with another NVME SSD, boots fine with a SATA Cable SSD or Harddisk, but not this one NVME Western Digital NVME SSD.

It just hangs in the BIOS screen, wehere you can choose to press a key to enter BIOS or the boot manager.
The Western digital Nvme SSD works fine via USB case and in a nother PC, so the NVME SSD is fine.

It must be a BIOS software bug.

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2022 at 5:30am
Is there a BIOS update or previous version that can be restored that it may work with?

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2022 at 5:32am
After plugging it into another computer, I was able to see that it was not defective. I had to reformat it, but it still doesn't work on my PC. I'm going to try to find a way to install Windows onto it and see if the problem is my PC trying to boot through it. Not sure what else to do.

Posted By: Cat
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2022 at 6:01pm
I too have the same problem right now with a crucial p3 ssd and it works fine on my laptop

Posted By: spankymcjedi
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 9:18am
Did we ever find a solution to this one? I recently tried putting a crucial 1tb into the m2_1 slot on my b450 mobo and it also hangs at post. Even tried it in a PCIE nvme adapter and got the same result.

Posted By: Lx00n.sh
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2023 at 2:20am
I have the same problem here with same hardware:

- X470 Taichi P3.60
- Cucial P3 M.2 1TB Pcie Gen 3x4 2280
- Ryzen 5 3400G

POST stuck with Dr.Debug-Code "0d" while NVMe is plugged in M2_1 or M2_2 (no card in PCIe5). Even a CMOS-Reset is not working. Also no other PCIe/USB-Devices are connected...

I read the BIOS-FW Changelog but nothing seams to be affected to NVMe compatibility ...

Is there a BIOS-update in progress ?

Posted By: wolf2021k
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2023 at 4:44am
I have the same problem:

Different hardware though,

-B450M Pro4
-Crucial P3 M.2 1TB PCIE Gen3x4 2280
-Ryzen 5 2600X
-Radeon RX580
-BIOS 3.50

Current Bootdrive is Crucial P1 M.2 500GB PCIE Gen3x4 2280, which I want to replace with the above mentioned P3.
After Removing the Crucial P1 and installing the P3 on the same slot the PC stops in at the Bootscreen, and I am unable to even enter Bios, it does not react on any keyboard inputs.

Posted By: Lx00n.sh
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2023 at 11:18pm
Obviously there will not be a Bios-Fix to this issue ...

This is obviously a incompatibility between this module and Mainboard or CPU.

I Solved this issue by buying another NVMe SSD, which is in the "Module Support List". (Of cause the List in Mainboard-Manual is out dated. Use the asrock web-page : https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/X470%20Taichi/index.de.asp#Memory" rel="nofollow - https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/X470%20Taichi/index.de.asp#Memory )

I used the WD-Black which costs round about 50??more than the "Crucial P3" ( or similar to another WD-Black 1TB NVMe-SSD with same Specification [but other Module-Discription] and price like the Crucial .. wtf ?!).

FYI: I also Tested the "Cucial P3 M.2 1TB Pcie Gen 3x4 2280" with a USB3 10Gbps Adapter (JMicron-IC) on another PC without success. But with an passive M.2 to PCIe on a Gigabyte-Mainboard with PCIe2, the Cucial-SSD works ...

Posted By: Xaltar
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2023 at 11:53pm
Yeah, when you see QVL lists for a type of hardware on motherboard websites you
know there are compatibility issues with that kind of hardware. NVMe SSDs are not
a one size fits all thing unfortunately. I suspect in a few more generations we will
see more conformity and standardization but for now, you need to check the support
list for your board.

-------------

Posted By: astronomer
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2023 at 5:33am
I think I'm having the same problem. MB is B550M-HDV, with AMD Ryzen 3, 8GB DDR4, and.... a Silicon Power 256GB NVMe M.2.PCIe 2280 SSD. I cannot get the slightest sign of initial bootup... this are all new components.

I did replace the M.2 SSD with a SATA hard drive, and again not one flicker of anything on the monitor. I have swapped out RAM, power supply, and this is the second CPU I've tried (first was a Ryzen 5). I cannot get to BIOS. I have Windows 11 on USB, initial installment. Many thanks, David

Posted By: Bjorkie
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2023 at 7:34pm
I have the same problem, i just bought a Crucial P3 plus yesterday. It works fine at the shop that I purchased it. But when I installed it on my B450m, it just get stuck on the motherboard screen. How do I resolve this?

Posted By: astronomer
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2023 at 11:30pm
I discovered that the ASRock webpage has a section that lists SSD's that are compatible with the B550M-HDV. I settled on a Crucial SATA SSD "guaranteed to be compatible" and have ordered it to try. I had planned to use a M.2, but will now settle for a SATA SSD. I should know by next week sometime.

Posted By: c0p0ut
Date Posted: 05 Mar 2023 at 6:56am
I am having the same problem:

MB: AB350 Pro4
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600X
BIOS: 5.8

My computer has the Win10 OS on another drive. I put 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVMe SSD into M1_2 and it gets stuck on the F2/F11 option screen and will go no further. MB is UEFI (Not legacy) and OS drive is GPT. I wanted to use this Crucial drive for game storage, but I just can't get it to work.

Posted By: sandcrew
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2023 at 6:01am
I had same issue with B450M Pro4 but flashing latests BIOS fixed that problem - used 5.7 very grateful to ASRock for their updates for this quite old MB! Kudos!

Posted By: c0p0ut
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2023 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by c0p0ut c0p0ut wrote:

I am having the same problem:

MB: AB350 Pro4
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600X
BIOS: 5.8

My computer has the Win10 OS on another drive. I put 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVMe SSD into M1_2 and it gets stuck on the F2/F11 option screen and will go no further. MB is UEFI (Not legacy) and OS drive is GPT. I wanted to use this Crucial drive for game storage, but I just can't get it to work.

I returned the Crucial P3 Plus (Gen 4) and purchased a 4TB Crucial PCIe 3.0 NVMe M.2 SSD because tech support said Gen4 would not work, although I informed him they were backwards compatible.

I plugged the new Gen3 into the 1st M.2 slot and again, it gets stuck on the F2/F11 option screen. I can't even get into BIOS. Once I remove the M.2 card, my computer starts up with no issues.

This is a Gen3 card. Why is it not working?

Posted By: bigwhiteshih
Date Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 11:06am
Same problem on my Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4 board with Crucial P3(Gen3) 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD.

I was using XPG SX8200Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe (as storage, not booting device) without any problem, after changing to Crucial P3, my PC boot with blank screen and no beep. Then I removed Crucial P3, my PC boot up normally.

Finally I update BIOS to the latest version 7.40 (AMD AM4 AGESA Combo V2 PI 1.2.0.7 kernel), voila! problem solved! Crucial P3 works perfectly fine.
BTW my BIOS version was 5.80 (AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 1.0.0.1)

Posted By: fredd0h
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2023 at 8:01am
Posting this to hopefully help another find the solution faster. I eventually found this thread via Google search for my problem.

I have an IBUYPOWER BB980 that has the asrock b365m ib-r mobo in it.
I was trying to install a crucial p3 plus PCIe 4.0 NVMe m.2 ssd and if I installed it, the system would hang on the boot screen and not allow F2 to get into bios.

After bios update, mobo recognized the drive and system booted as expected.

Used this to get the bios
https://www.asrock.com/support/index.us.asp?cat=SIBIOS" rel="nofollow - https://www.asrock.com/support/index.us.asp?cat=SIBIOS

And this to install it
https://www.asrock.com/support/BIOSIG.asp?cat=BIOS10" rel="nofollow - https://www.asrock.com/support/BIOSIG.asp?cat=BIOS10

Hopefully this helps

Posted By: wolf2021k
Date Posted: 25 May 2023 at 3:13am
Originally posted by wolf2021k wolf2021k wrote:

I have the same problem:

Different hardware though,

-B450M Pro4
-Crucial P3 M.2 1TB PCIE Gen3x4 2280
-Ryzen 5 2600X
-Radeon RX580
-BIOS 3.50

Current Bootdrive is Crucial P1 M.2 500GB PCIE Gen3x4 2280, which I want to replace with the above mentioned P3.
After Removing the Crucial P1 and installing the P3 on the same slot the PC stops in at the Bootscreen, and I am unable to even enter Bios, it does not react on any keyboard inputs.

I was hesitating to update the Bios since I have an older CPU, however today I bit the bullet and installed Bios version 5.70 and it works great now.

Posted By: Quesada
Date Posted: 05 Aug 2023 at 10:16am
For me the NVME Sanitation Tool fixed it. Run it with the format setting and reinstall Windows.

Posted By: superjoeprime
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2023 at 2:45am
I had same issue, and my bios was 3.70 i installed Version 3.80 it has m.2 fix. And works now. There is bios fix for everyone.

Posted By: jwzy
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2023 at 7:07pm
Thank you this worked!

I had this same issue too, was trying to install Crucial P3 500GB onto my ASROCK B450 Pro4 F. Booted and got stuck at the ASROCK logo screen, keyboard inputs don't work.

Updated BIOS from 1.60 to 2.80 and it works now (got the BIOS files from this link https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450M%20Pro4-F/#BIOS" rel="nofollow - https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450M%20Pro4-F/#BIOS )

Posted By: RynosRaceroom
Date Posted: 29 Dec 2023 at 7:13am
This is frustrating ! I dont know if I should update the bios return my crucial drive or maybe look at buying a new used motherboard of a different type manufacture. All I hear about is if you're not using an NVMESSD then you're not going as fast as possible. Has anyone found a specific one that works

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net