Forum Description: Question about ASRock Intel Motherboards
URL: https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=25379
Printed Date: 24 Apr 2024 at 3:27pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Motherboard stopped working
Posted By: Mike99
Subject: Motherboard stopped working
Date Posted: 19 Jan 2023 at 8:56pm
The PC was on all day but when I went back to use it, it was dead. It has a B365M Pro4 mobo with M.2 SSD.

It did not respond to power off/on. Nothing.

I checked the PSU & it works & all voltages are correct.

Re-connected the cables & tried to power on by jumping the header power on pins, but it did not respond.

Any suggestions why it might have just died?
Is there a fuse hidden somewhere on the mobo or is the mobo dead?

Thanks.

Replies:
Posted By: Xaltar
Date Posted: 19 Jan 2023 at 11:43pm
Unplug the system from power and leave it disconnected for an hour or so and see
if that brings it back.

If not, take the system apart, remove all components (including CPU) from the
board then make sure it's all clean before reinstalling just the RAM, CPU and
GPU. You can also try powering on without the GPU installed, even if you don't
have an iGPU. A dead GPU could also cause the power safeties to engage on the board.

If that doesn't work, try with another PSU, even if it's reading the correct voltages
on a multimeter, it may be unstable under load.

If after all that it still won't work then it's likely the board has died.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2023 at 8:57am
I took it all apart but it made no difference. Also tried another PSU but no luck with that.

What would happen if the PSU was connected and & I shorted pin #16 to ground in order to turn on the PSU? Would that temporarily get me going or would I see smoke?

It would be nice to see some of the BIOS settings before the mobo was replaced.

I saw several B365M Pro4 mobos on Ebay that were selling for parts only. A few months ago two of the USB2 ports died at the header on mine. Is this a problem mobo?

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2023 at 2:36pm
Shorting the power sense pin to ground could potentially fry components (other than
the board) if there is a major issue with the board itself. If you have tried everything
you can try that but be sure to remove all components from the board first. While
you have the board force powered check for any excess heat that could indicate
a dead board. I do not recommend trying with your components installed. You could
get lucky and a forced power up may clear power safety checks (with no components
installed).

You can also fire a support ticket off to ASRock:
https://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp" rel="nofollow - https://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp

They may have further advice for you.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Jan 2023 at 9:39am
Thanks -
I sent ASRock support a request for help & hopefully a solution.

Several months ago I lost a USB2 port. Then a few months after that another USB2 port died on the other header. FWIW, both still had 5V power on them.

Now the whole board is dead. There are several on Ebay for parts only which makes me think this is a common problem.

I have a used board coming. It's an ASRock B365 but a different model. This should get me going quickly.

Does ASRock ever repair boards?

Date Posted: 23 Jan 2023 at 7:07pm
Under warranty they usually send out a new board. I guess it's cheaper and easier
than the labor cost. From what I gather the only time they send back the same board
is if the issue was BIOS related where they flash it and send it back. This is based
on forum users experiences, a different serial number usually comes back.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 12:28am
I didn't think it would be cost effective to repair a board, especially a lower priced one.

I found a board just like mine & was able to cancel the first one. I should have most of my changed BIOS settings written down. That said, is there a way to save a file with all the settings so that they can viewed and/or copied into a replacement board?

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 1:08am
I received an email from ASRock. They said to contact my dealer first. If they can't help then go to the ASRock website ( https://www.asrock.com/support/" rel="nofollow - https://www.asrock.com/support/ ) which offers FAQ & other information.

I was not counting on any help, just hoping if this was a common problem there might be relatively easy solution.

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by Mike99 Mike99 wrote:

I didn't think it would be cost effective to repair a board, especially a lower priced one.

I found a board just like mine & was able to cancel the first one. I should have most of my changed BIOS settings written down. That said, is there a way to save a file with all the settings so that they can viewed and/or copied into a replacement board?

If the board is dead I am afraid not, at least not easily. You would need a ROM
programmer with the correct clip to attach to the BIOS ROM on the board or to physically
remove the BIOS ROM and insert it into the programmer to be read and dumped. Not
at all worth the effort and expense just for BIOS settings.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 3:00am
I probably wasn't clear. I was wondering if it's possible to save BIOS settings on a good working board.

I never installed a used mobo. Should I clean the CPU socket pins? I did some searching & everything was about cleaning thermal paste from the socket. But I was wondering what if someone touched the socket & left a bit of oil on the pins. Is it better to presume everything is OK vs. risking a bent pin from cleaning?

Date Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 4:04am
Yes, you can save settings onto a USB flash drive if memory serves. It is only valid
for the particular BIOS version it was saved from however so it's no good if you
are updating your BIOS. Generally it's a waste of time unless your BIOS settings
are exceedingly intricate (memory timings, voltages, per core overclocks etc).

As for cleaning the socket, it isn't recommended to mess with LGA sockets.
It should be fine as is. Some canned air won't hurt. Just be sure to keep the
nozzle at least 20cm from the socket so the pressure doesn't bend anything.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 12:55pm
Xaltar - thanks for all your help.

The used mobo works. Yeah !!

In BIOS under Boot it shows:

Boot Option Priorities
    Boot Option #1 - Windows Boot Manager (M2_1: Samsung SSD 970...)
    Boot Option #2 - M2_1: Samsung SSD 970...

What the significance of that first option where it mentions Windows Boot Manager?

I can swap these so that #1 is just "M2_1: Samsung SSD 970..."

Is it correct the way it is? I just don't recall having two options when I installed Windows 10.

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 11:52pm
Awesome, glad to see you up and running again.

Windows Boot Manager is added by windows during install, the second is added by
the board on first boot. Because you installed the OS on the old board it didn't
create a duplicate. It's nothing to worry about. Just use the Windows boot manager one.
It shouldn't make a difference but if windows set any flags on boot they will be
missing on the second option.

Enjoy

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 2:07am
Please take a look at a new thread "Warped Motherboard" that I just posted regarding why the mobo might have failed. Thanks.

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 5:35am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

Awesome, glad to see you up and running again.

Windows Boot Manager is added by windows during install, the second is added by
the board on first boot. Because you installed the OS on the old board it didn't
create a duplicate. It's nothing to worry about. Just use the Windows boot manager one.
It shouldn't make a difference but if windows set any flags on boot they will be
missing on the second option.

Enjoy

Everything works but I'm confused & it's probably my old brain.

It seems Windows Boot Manager should always be there. However my notes from the original install say there was only "Boot Option #1 - M2_1: Samsung SSD 970..."

If "the second is added by the board on first boot", isn't that the opposite of "Because you installed the OS on the old board it didn't create a duplicate"?

Am I getting things mixed up regarding which one is the duplicate?

I installed Windows 10 only once on the SSD. Could one of the "Feature" updates created a second boot option?

I'm just curious what is happening.

Thanks again

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 7:38pm
Could be windows made the new entry, I don't know for sure. Either way, it shouldn't
make a difference. I tend to always use the WBM entry when I have multiple entries.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net