First AMD build not going well...

Printed From: ASRock.com
Category: Technical Support
Forum Name: AMD Motherboards
Forum Description: Question about ASRock AMD motherboards
URL: https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=26312
Printed Date: 27 Jul 2024 at 9:41pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: First AMD build not going well...
Posted By: Raptor9ine
Subject: First AMD build not going well...
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2023 at 9:12pm
First of all, here are the specs for my new rig:

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X 4.7 GHz 6-Core Processor

Deepcool AK400 66.47 CFM CPU Cooler

ASRock B650M PG RIPTIDE Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard

G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL28 Memory

Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive

Lian Li LANCOOL 216 ATX Mid Tower Case

Corsair RM850x (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

These are all brand new parts.

So, after carefully hooking everything up, I switch on the PSU and get fancy rgb lights around the MB's chipset heatsink, but when I hit the power button on the front panel, nothing happens. No fans start up, no Post Status Checker lights come on. If I press the reset button, the rgb lights stop pulsing and stay the colour they were when I hit the reset. When I removed the front panel header and bridged the power pins with a screwdriver, nothing happens and I waited a good 15/20 minutes.

I've tried removing the RAM and putting them in one at a time in different slots, and nothing.

I've taken an old PSU (EVGA 750 G2) and its original cables from my old rig and put them into the new rig, and apart from the rgb lights coming on again, it just won't switch on either via the front panel On switch or by bridging the power pins.

I put the new PSU with its cables into my old rig, and nothing again. It suddenly wouldn't switch on via the front panel On switch or with the power pins being bridged. When I put the old PSU and cables back in to the old rig, it still wouldn't switch on. Bearing in mind, I built this rig back in 2016 and it's been utterly bulletproof from day one. 10 minutes with this new PSU and its cables, and it hasn't switched on since. I tried removing the CMOS battery for five minutes while pressing the power button on the case for 30 seconds and still nowt.

In the last few days, in between pulling the last few remaining hairs out of my head, I've breadboarded the new MB and just have the CPU and CPU cooler attached. Sadly there's nothing much happening when I bridge those power pins. Again, I've waited a good 20 minutes. I also bridged the clear CMOS pins and it didn't change anything. The only thing I haven't done on this MB is remove the CMOS battery as it's conveniently hidden underneath the VRM heatsink and looks quite difficult to get to.

Today I've taken off the CPU cooler and removed the CPU to check for any damage to the CPU and for any bent pins on the MB, and there's non as far as I can see.

Basically I've done everything here; https://www.reddit.com/r/pchelp/comments/eatxrs/perform_these_steps_before_posting_about/" rel="nofollow - https://www.reddit.com/r/pchelp/comments/eatxrs/perform_these_steps_before_posting_about/ , apart from using a multimeter on the PSU. I'm not keen on doing that as I'm not a trained electrician and the wires are all black, rather than red/blue/yellow etc.

Any ideas, guys? I've only got until the 26th of August before I need to send the CPU, PSU, RAM and SSD back to amazon for a refund if they are dead. Honestly, I have no idea if they're dead or not. At no point have I heard any pops or bangs, nor have I seen any smoke or smelled anything burning. I'm around 60% sure the new PSU has nuked both the new and old rig, but I can't be 100% sure.

Any help would be very much appreciated. I've got no idea what to do now.

Replies:
Posted By: M440
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2023 at 11:13pm
so now 2 rigs don't work? that would indicate that the PSU fried 2 motherboards or the motherboard fried 2 psus?

you are using igpu in both cases?

what if you connect 3rd working psu to old rig?

beside and in general - you can flash the newest bios using bios flashback function (from the usb drive without booting the pc)

-------------
asrock b650m/hdv.m2, ryzen 7700x@85watt

Posted By: Xaltar
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2023 at 11:21pm
I agree with M440, see if you can pick up a cheap tester PSU to try with the old
rig you know was previously working. If it's still not working then RMA the board,
CPU, PSU, RAM etc. A modern PSU shouldn't be able to nuke a motherboard unless it
has a serious defect that bypasses all it's safeties.

Is it possible you confused the 8pin PCIe power for the 8pin CPU power cable? The
cable that goes to the motherboard should be a 4+4 connector not the 6+2. That
shouldn't short anything out but it will prevent the board powering up while
connected that way. Some modular PSUs allow you to connect the 8pin CPU power
cable to the 8pin PCIe power output from the PSU itself, the issue could be on
that end.

I doubt this is the issue as you say the old PSU now also won't power up the old
system but it's worth checking.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2023 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by M440 M440 wrote:

so now 2 rigs don't work? that would indicate that the PSU fried 2 motherboards or the motherboard fried 2 psus?

you are using igpu in both cases?

what if you connect 3rd working psu to old rig?

beside and in general - you can flash the newest bios using bios flashback function (from the usb drive without booting the pc)

Yeah, my new rig has never switched on, and my old rig, which has been bombproof since 2016, has not switched on since I gave it a sniff of the new PSU.

I think the 7600x has integrated graphics. Haven't bought a gpu yet as I was going to set up the system first and then get one later.

Sadly I don't have a 3rd psu, I've only got two gaming rigs. Although technically I have zero right now.

Do you think the new system is not switching on because the bios is old? I had a look at the bios update page here: https://pg.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B650M%20PG%20Riptide/index.asp#BIOS" rel="nofollow - https://pg.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B650M%20PG%20Riptide/index.asp#BIOS , and couldn't find a reason to update for the 7600x. Maybe I was wrong.

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2023 at 12:07am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

I agree with M440, see if you can pick up a cheap tester PSU to try with the old
rig you know was previously working. If it's still not working then RMA the board,
CPU, PSU, RAM etc. A modern PSU shouldn't be able to nuke a motherboard unless it
has a serious defect that bypasses all it's safeties.

Is it possible you confused the 8pin PCIe power for the 8pin CPU power cable? The
cable that goes to the motherboard should be a 4+4 connector not the 6+2. That
shouldn't short anything out but it will prevent the board powering up while
connected that way. Some modular PSUs allow you to connect the 8pin CPU power
cable to the 8pin PCIe power output from the PSU itself, the issue could be on
that end.

I doubt this is the issue as you say the old PSU now also won't power up the old
system but it's worth checking.

Sadly, I've only got until the 26th of August before I need to send the psu, cpu, and ram back to Amazon for a refund, even though I don't actually know if they are dead or not. So I won't have the time to get a cheap psu. I've checked the ssd in a laptop and thankfully it works fine. I've just no way of checking the cpu, psu, ram and motherboard.

I think I've put the right cables in the ATX12V1 connector on the MB. The ones that have cpu on them.

If it's of any help, I did take a quick vid of the system when it was still in the case. At this point it was hooked up to my old psu with the 10-pin ATXPWR1 connector detached from the psu, with the 18-pin still in the psu, as I wanted to see what would happen. There was one cpu cable hooked up to ATX12V1 but not ATX12V2, as I think you only need a power cable in there if you're overclocking the cpu.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1m-uxmJ65QZzNWHqdHIUqj7lODm_EEzlG/view?usp=sharing" rel="nofollow - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1m-uxmJ65QZzNWHqdHIUqj7lODm_EEzlG/view?usp=sharing

As you can hopefully see, some of the fans are pulsing on and off, apart from the two front intake fans, and the Post Status Checker leds (cpu and dram) are flickering on and off. When I connect the 10-pin connector up to the psu and switch it back on, I get the same pulsing rgb lights around the chipset and nothing more.

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2023 at 12:11am
Thanks for replying btw, guys. This is only my second ever build and my first attempt at AMD, and it's been a bit of a hellscape so far haha.

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2023 at 5:56am
Have you checked the bottom of the motherboard for bent over component legs that
could be shorting etc?

Try connecting the board to the PSU with just the CPU and RAM installed, no connected
devices etc, just power. See if the symptoms remain the same. Also make sure there
are no other commonalities between the old system and new one, keyboard, mouse
etc.

Good luck.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2023 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by Raptor9ine Raptor9ine wrote:

I think the 7600x has integrated graphics. Haven't bought a gpu yet as I was going to set up the system first and then get one later.

i'm asking if you use igpu in both rigs, because the old rig might not work because you forgot to plug the GPU power cable.

Quote Do you think the new system is not switching on because the bios is old? I had a look at the bios update page here: https://pg.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B650M%20PG%20Riptide/index.asp#BIOS" rel="nofollow - https://pg.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B650M%20PG%20Riptide/index.asp#BIOS , and couldn't find a reason to update for the 7600x. Maybe I was wrong.

i wrote this as a general advice. It won't solve the electrical problems, but why wouldent you do this? You are gonna update the bios anyway.

Quote If it's of any help, I did take a quick vid of the system when it was still in the case. At this point it was hooked up to my old psu with the 10-pin ATXPWR1 connector detached from the psu, with the 18-pin still in the psu, as I wanted to see what would happen. There was one cpu cable hooked up to ATX12V1 but not ATX12V2, as I think you only need a power cable in there if you're overclocking the cpu.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1m-uxmJ65QZzNWHqdHIUqj7lODm_EEzlG/view?usp=sharing

As you can hopefully see, some of the fans are pulsing on and off, apart from the two front intake fans, and the Post Status Checker leds (cpu and dram) are flickering on and off. When I connect the 10-pin connector up to the psu and switch it back on, I get the same pulsing rgb lights around the chipset and nothing more.

connect all the power cables

Quote Thanks for replying btw, guys. This is only my second ever build and my first attempt at AMD, and it's been a bit of a hellscape so far haha.

its clearly an electrical problem, not connected with cpu or chipset brand

Quote Have you checked the bottom of the motherboard for bent over component legs that
could be shorting etc?

Try connecting the board to the PSU with just the CPU and RAM installed, no connected
devices etc, just power. See if the symptoms remain the same. Also make sure there
etc.

Good luck.

yes, check for short circuit, power connection. Run the motherboard/s out of the case on the desk without unnecessary peripherals connected.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2023 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

Have you checked the bottom of the motherboard for bent over component legs that
could be shorting etc?

etc.

Good luck.

Right now, I've got the new MB breadboarded on an anti-static bag on top of the MB's cardboard box with just the cpu and cpu cooler plugged in to the MB, with the ATXPWR1 cable fully plugged in to the psu along with the 8-pin cpu cable. No ram or any thing else.

When I switch the psu on I just get the pulsing rgb lights around the chipset heatsink. When I bridge the power switch pins I get nothing, and I've waited a good 20 minutes of so. If I bridge the reset pins, the rgb lights stop pulsing and stay whatever colour the were when I bridged those pins.

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2023 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by M440 M440 wrote:

Originally posted by Raptor9ine Raptor9ine wrote:

i'm asking if you use igpu in both rigs, because the old rig might not work because you forgot to plug the GPU power cable.

Quote Do you think the new system is not switching on because the bios is old? I had a look at the bios update page here: https://pg.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B650M%20PG%20Riptide/index.asp#BIOS" rel="nofollow - https://pg.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B650M%20PG%20Riptide/index.asp#BIOS , and couldn't find a reason to update for the 7600x. Maybe I was wrong.

i wrote this as a general advice. It won't solve the electrical problems, but why wouldent you do this? You are gonna update the bios anyway.

Quote If it's of any help, I did take a quick vid of the system when it was still in the case. At this point it was hooked up to my old psu with the 10-pin ATXPWR1 connector detached from the psu, with the 18-pin still in the psu, as I wanted to see what would happen. There was one cpu cable hooked up to ATX12V1 but not ATX12V2, as I think you only need a power cable in there if you're overclocking the cpu.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1m-uxmJ65QZzNWHqdHIUqj7lODm_EEzlG/view?usp=sharing

connect all the power cables

Quote Thanks for replying btw, guys. This is only my second ever build and my first attempt at AMD, and it's been a bit of a hellscape so far haha.

its clearly an electrical problem, not connected with cpu or chipset brand

Quote Have you checked the bottom of the motherboard for bent over component legs that
could be shorting etc?

etc.

Good luck.

yes, check for short circuit, power connection. Run the motherboard/s out of the case on the desk without unnecessary peripherals connected.

Ah, yeah I plugged the vga cables back in to the psu and gpu.

I was going to update the bios once I'd got the system up and running.

When I connect up all the power cables I just get the pulsing rgb lights and nothing more. I removed the 10-pin connector just to see what would happen. That's what you see in the vid. Once the 10-pin connector is hooked back up to the psu it's the same thing, rgb lights pulsing different colours and nothing happens when I bridge the power switch pins.
----------

In regards to my old rig - the MB is an MSI Z97 Gaming 5. Today I removed the front panel power switch header from the MB. When I switched the psu on and bridged the power switch pins with a screwdriver, I noticed a blue led briefly come on around the BAT1 JBAT1 area of the MB near the cmos battery. Above that led are two pins, so I decided to bridge those with a screwdriver and WHOOOOSH. The case fans started going ten to the dozen, so did the cpu cooler fan and the gpu fans, while the blue led remained on.

When I took the screwdriver away, the blue led went off and so did all the fans.

When I plug the front panel header back on to those power switch pins and press the front panel on switch, nothing. With the front panel header still in place, if I bridge those pins above the BAT1 JBAT1 led, the fans come back on as does the blue led.

I now need to hook my old rig up to a monitor to see if it posts while I bridge those pins.

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2023 at 10:51pm
So I've hooked my old rig up to two monitors now. First one I hooked up via hdmi cable to the gpu's hdmi slot while bridging those BAT1/JBAT1 pins and no signal to the monitor. I then hooked it up to a second monitor via the gpu's dp slot and still no signal while bridging those pins.

I've also noticed that while bridging those BAT1/JBAT1 pins, there's no hdd led flickering on at the front panel of the case, nor is there any led light around the front panel ON switch.

I've checked and double checked, everything is connected. PWR SW is connected, PWR LED and HDD LED were never pulled out nor was the RESET header.

Hmmm...

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2023 at 12:48am
You won't boot the system without the ram.

Can you update the bios using those instructions?:

https://pg.asrock.com/support/QA/FlashbackSOP.pdf" rel="nofollow - https://pg.asrock.com/support/QA/FlashbackSOP.pdf

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2023 at 5:24am
Ah, I didn't know it wouldn't boot without ram. I was going on what I read here: https://www.reddit.com/r/pchelp/comments/eatxrs/perform_these_steps_before_posting_about/" rel="nofollow - https://www.reddit.com/r/pchelp/comments/eatxrs/perform_these_steps_before_posting_about/ when I breadboarded it.

Specifically this bit: "Pull everything except the CPU and HSF. Boot. You should hear a series of long single beeps indicating memory problems. Silence here indicates, in probable order, a bad PSU, motherboard, or CPU - or a bad installation where something is shorting and shutting down the PSU." I assume this applies to old motherboards then? Not sure.

Had a look on the new MB at the bios chipset and it has a 1.21 sticker on, so I'll give the bios update a go.

This will have to be my last ditch attempt before sending the motherboard, psu and cpu back if I can.

Thanks for the help.

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2023 at 7:19am
Yeah, you need RAM installed in slots A2 and B2 or just slot A2 for breadboarding.
Check the underside of the board for any damage/bent over component legs that may
be touching that shouldn't.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2023 at 4:21pm
I would update the BIOS in the new motherboard and see if this change anything. Please look what the bios flashback led displays - it indicates if its flashing properly. Everything is described in the instruction.

After that I would focus on the old rig and diagnose why it does not work, because you know all the parts were working.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2023 at 10:03pm
Hmmm, something strange is happening. Bearing in mind, at this point I haven't updated the bios yet as that was a last resort.

So, with the cpu back in the socket and 1 ram stick in the a2 slot, but without the cpu cooler attached to the cpu, and with its fan plugged in to the fan header, when I switch on the psu I get the rgb lights again, but when I bridge the power switch pins the post status checker leds come on firm (cpu and dram), the cpu fan starts spinning, I hear a click from the psu and the psu fan starts spinning too! YIPPEE!

Here's a quick vid: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1m7XwQ7lwDwfHZ1E-vckiamgKuPcHlF2l/view?usp=sharing" rel="nofollow - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1m7XwQ7lwDwfHZ1E-vckiamgKuPcHlF2l/view?usp=sharing

Now, when I screw the cpu cooler back in place over the cpu, and attach its fan, when I bridge the power switch pins...nothing again.

Here's a vid of that: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mLDaD9h2QsdU5QPx_K8hS0fH758v8k2D/view?usp=sharing" rel="nofollow - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mLDaD9h2QsdU5QPx_K8hS0fH758v8k2D/view?usp=sharing

At least something is happening now, but I'm lost as to why it won't switch on when I attach the cpu cooler.

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2023 at 11:26pm
So either the CPU cooler is pressing down too hard and warping the motherboard
(and has possibly caused damage) or the cooler is shorting against something on
the board.

The DRAM and CPU LEDs being lit likely indicate you don't have a supporting BIOS
version. Thoroughly check your CPU cooler isn't shorting something out.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Aug 2023 at 12:28am
I've had a look and can't see the cooler shorting anything. I've screwed it back on to the cpu, but it's surprising how little you can screw it down before it stops the system from switching on. It's difficult trying to see if it's making contact with the cpu. At this point I've also installed the 2nd ram stick and ssd. It's still switching on.

If I leave the system on for a while the cpu/dram leds on the post status checker go off, they briefly come on for the boot and vga, but then they go off and stay off. All PSC leds are off now so I'm guessing cpu/dram/boot/vga are fine?

Hooked it up to a monitor and I can get into bios now. I guess the next step is putting it back in the case and seeing what happens next.

Date Posted: 21 Aug 2023 at 2:05am
OK got it back in the case now. Just the ATX12v1 and ATXPWR1 cables attached to the MB along with the cpu, cooler and fan, m.2 ssd and 2 sticks of ram.

So, with the case on its side, when I bridge the power switch pins the system comes on, when I put the case upright on its feet and bridge the power switch pins it doesn't. With it still upright, if I gently pull the cpu cooler away from the cpu and bridge the pins, it comes on.

I'm not sure how much more I can unscrew the cooler from the cpu. At this point I don't know if it's even making contact with the cpu. Guess I'm going to have to find out what the idle temps are for the 7600x with an air cooler and then see if they match with the temps I see in bios.

Date Posted: 21 Aug 2023 at 5:59am
Return the motherboard, if it is that touchy then it is likely damaged, hopefully
you can still get it replaced. I suspect the cooler mounting pressure was too high
and may have caused micro fractures in the motherboard.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net