Forum Description: Question about ASRock Intel Motherboards
URL: https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3108
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 1:06am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Wrong resolution in UEFI setup menu
Posted By: J. J.
Subject: Wrong resolution in UEFI setup menu
Date Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 6:41pm
Hello. I have a problem with screen resolution in the UEFI setup menu of my motherboard when a PCI-E graphics card is used.

Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Extreme4
Graphics (PCI-E): EVGA GeForce GTX 950 SC GAMING

If I use the on-board graphics (that is, if I connect my monitor directly to the motherboard HDMI or DisplayPort port), the UEFI menu is correctly shown full HD (with a resolution of 1920x1080). However, if I connect my PCI-E graphics card to the monitor, the UEFI is shown with a 1080x720 resolution, even if the graphics card supports full HD and so does the monitor.
If I boot into any operating system, the resolution gets correctly set to 1080p, but as long as I stay in the UEFI setup menu the resolution stays at 720p. The "Full HD" setting in the UEFI setup is set to "Auto" and not to "Disabled", so I see no reason why the resolution should not automatically be set to full HD. I tried all the ports of my graphics card and I get the same result. 

Do you know a way to fix this, or to manually force the full HD resolution? Thanks.

Replies:
Posted By: parsec
Date Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by J. J. J. J. wrote:

Hello. I have a problem with screen resolution in the UEFI setup menu of my motherboard when a PCI-E graphics card is used.

Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Extreme4
Graphics (PCI-E): EVGA GeForce GTX 950 SC GAMING

If I use the on-board graphics (that is, if I connect my monitor directly to the motherboard HDMI or DisplayPort port), the UEFI menu is correctly shown full HD (with a resolution of 1920x1080). However, if I connect my PCI-E graphics card to the monitor, the UEFI is shown with a 1080x720 resolution, even if the graphics card supports full HD and so does the monitor.
If I boot into any operating system, the resolution gets correctly set to 1080p, but as long as I stay in the UEFI setup menu the resolution stays at 720p. The "Full HD" setting in the UEFI setup is set to "Auto" and not to "Disabled", so I see no reason why the resolution should not automatically be set to full HD. I tried all the ports of my graphics card and I get the same result. 

Do you know a way to fix this, or to manually force the full HD resolution? Thanks.

I have heard of this happening sometimes. Also, other mother board manufactures have a full HD resolution in their UEFI's, and they can have this problem too.

When this happens, it can be difficult to fix. There is not a simple, obvious fix for this situation.

What monitor model are you using?

Did you install the driver for your 950 video card yourself? Is it a new driver version?

What OS or version of Windows are you using?

Which UEFI/BIOS version are you using?

How much DRAM memory do you have? What speed is it running at?

Do you have any other cards in the PCIe slots?

-------------
http://valid.x86.fr/48rujh" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: J. J.
Date Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

BenQ GW2270.

Did you install the driver for your 950 video card yourself? Is it a new driver version?
I did and yes, however I don't think this is relevant since we are talking about the BIOS (unless I can update/change the firmware of the card itself - can I?).

What OS or version of Windows are you using?
I have three operating systems installed: Windows 10.1, Ubuntu 16.04 and macOS. All of them work flawlessly in full HD.

Which UEFI/BIOS version are you using?
3.20, the latest available.

How much DRAM memory do you have? What speed is it running at?
32 GB (2x 16 GB) at 2400 MHz.

Do you have any other cards in the PCIe slots?
I do have a wireless/bluetooth PCIe card.

Posted By: clubfoot
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 6:27am
I'm going on a wild guess that you are using display port or hdmi for connection when you get the 720p res in the BIOS screen. Do you get the same result with a D-DVI connection?

I have a BenQ XL2420z and if I connect via DP I get 720p in the BIOS screen :( Probably monitor firmware. I only use D-DVI I do not have this issue.

-------------
https://valid.x86.fr/1tkblf" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: wardog
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 10:07am
Originally posted by clubfoot clubfoot wrote:

I'm going on a wild guess that you are using display port or hdmi for connection when you get the 720p res in the BIOS screen. Do you get the same result with a D-DVI connection?

I have a BenQ XL2420z and if I connect via DP I get 720p in the BIOS screen :( Probably monitor firmware. I only use D-DVI I do not have this issue.

Thumbs Up  My thoughts too. The monitors EDID is .......... botched/buggered/incorrect/missing

Posted By: wardog
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 10:10am
Too, I guess, I've seen strange results when the HDMI cable has/includes Ethernet

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 11:58am
Originally posted by clubfoot clubfoot wrote:

Thanks for this information!

Good thing I asked that question... not really for the OP (see below), but for myself... in contrast to some of my other questions. Confused  Sorry, still somewhat medicated after a little surgery last week. Sleepy

Imagine trying to diagnose this issue, without having the monitor connected to your own PC for testing! Plus it is unusual for a monitor to do things like this.

Also, the 720 resolution happens when using a DisplayPort or HDMI cable, but not with DVI-D? I can imagine all the people that never try a different cable as a fix... I doubt I would! Who would think that DVI would work fine, but not HDMI or DP? But this monitor is unusual in one way, the 144Hz refresh rate.

I recall a thread about this issue in the forum in the past, which was blamed on the UEFI/BIOS itself. Never discovered the problem or the fix, IIRC.

This is not a cheap, low quality monitor. I wonder if the 144Hz refresh rate is related to or the cause of the reduced resolution in the UEFI.

A review of this monitor that should be professional included this paragraph, which I thought was interesting:

Note that at 60Hz the Nvidia control panel reverts to using an ?˜Ultra HD, HD, SD??resolution designed for an HDTV when using DisplayPort. It produces a very washed out image and eats away at contrast and is exactly what we observed on the https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/dell-u2414h" rel="nofollow - Dell U2414H . This is completely nonsensical as HDTVs don?™t use DisplayPort but it?™s how Nvidia (mis)handles things at the moment. AMD users can happily use DisplayPort or DVI and get a similar image at any refresh rate on either connection. Note that the HDMI connection is only designed to be used at 60Hz and is really for connecting non-PC devices on this monitor.

https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/benq-xl2420z/" rel="nofollow - https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/benq-xl2420z/

clubfoot, does the 720 resolution happen with any video source? Ever try it with the Intel graphics? Looks like you have two 7950s is XFire.

Back to reality... meaning the OP does not have this monitor, he has a
BenQ GW2270, which is not in the same league as the XL2420z.

Originally posted by J. J. J. J. wrote:

BenQ GW2270.

I did and yes, however I don't think this is relevant since we are talking about the BIOS (unless I can update/change the firmware of the card itself - can I?).

The BenQ GW2270 is a basic monitor, with just D-Sub and DVI-D inputs, and no refresh rate specification:

http://www.benq.us/product/monitor/gw2270/" rel="nofollow - http://www.benq.us/product/monitor/gw2270/

In your first post, you mention using the HDMI and DisplayPort outputs on your mother board. The GW2270 does not have either of those inputs. There is a GW2270H model, with two HDMI inputs.

So do you have a BenQ GW2270, or do you have the 'H' model with an HDMI input, and use an adapter for the DisplayPort output?

Or is GW2270 a mistake, and you have a different monitor?

What connection are you using between the monitor and your 950 video card?

About the Nvidia driver, I was wondering if you had a random Nvidia driver installed by Windows 10. Usually, you are right about the Nvidia driver not making a difference when using the UEFI/BIOS, and it still might not matter, but the review of the BenQ XL2420z gives an example where the Nvidia driver did influence the monitor's performance, by changing to a lower refresh rate.

-------------

Posted By: dzsc
Date Posted: 13 May 2017 at 6:09pm
I got the same problem with an Asrock Z170 Extreme 4 and a MSI 1060 Gaming X 3G, there was no high resolution in the BIOS, even if I selected "Auto" in the settings of UEFI. My display is an iiyama x2783hsu-dp which is connected via DP. I have read that te DP can cause this kind of failure, but I like the DP, and I didn't wanna change it to an other because of some seconds that isn't perfect in the boot sequence.

Firstly I used a MSI Gaming X RX470 8G, and everything was fine with the resolution in the BIOS. Later I changed it to the 1060, and the resolution went to low. Each and every option was as the same, as the software and BIOS version too. I started with a BIOS upgrade, doesn't helped. I came here, but there was no solution. The I gave up and I left everything in that state, bytheway there was no any problem with my hw config except this. Till now...

I found a forum, where somebody said that try to disable the CSM (Compatility Support Module). If you have modern hw and os, that all support UEFI, than you can easily disable this option. Officially the UEFI is supported _after_ win7, so you might hold it enabled when you are still using win7.

Finally I turned the csm on off, and the wonder happend, both the bios and the boot screen are full hd :) So give it a try!

Posted By: clubfoot
Date Posted: 13 May 2017 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by dzsc dzsc wrote:

Finally I turned the csm on, and the wonder happend, both the bios and the boot screen are full hd :) So give it a try!

Thank you. I will add that to my bag of fixes. Thumbs Up

-------------
https://valid.x86.fr/1tkblf" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 13 May 2017 at 10:30pm
" rel="nofollow -

I got the same problem with an Asrock Z170 Extreme 4 and a MSI 1060 Gaming X 3G, there was no high resolution in the BIOS, even if I selected "Auto" in the settings of UEFI. My display is an iiyama x2783hsu-dp which is connected via DP. I have read that te DP can cause this kind of failure, but I like the DP, and I didn't wanna change it to an other because of some seconds that isn't perfect in the boot sequence.

Firstly I used a MSI Gaming X RX470 8G, and everything was fine with the resolution in the BIOS. Later I changed it to the 1060, and the resolution went to low. Each and every option was as the same, as the software and BIOS version too. I started with a BIOS upgrade, doesn't helped. I came here, but there was no solution. The I gave up and I left everything in that state, bytheway there was no any problem with my hw config except this. Till now...

I found a forum, where somebody said that try to disable the CSM (Compatility Support Module). If you have modern hw and os, that all support UEFI, than you can easily disable this option. Officially the UEFI is supported _after_ win7, so you might hold it enabled when you are still using win7.

Finally I turned the csm on, and the wonder happend, both the bios and the boot screen are full hd :) So give it a try!

I'm sorry but I don't understand what you did with the CSM option that caused it to work in HD.

Do you have CSM enabled or disabled?

-------------

Posted By: dzsc
Date Posted: 04 Jun 2017 at 5:02pm
Sorry, I mispelled it, edited the original text to off.

So, finally I disabled the CSM.

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2017 at 11:40pm
" rel="nofollow -

Sorry, I mispelled it, edited the original text to off.

So, finally I disabled the CSM.

Thank you for the clarification.

When CSM is enabled, the UEFI firmware is operating in emulated legacy BIOS mode, which limits it to the capabilities of BIOS firmware. We also don't have the UEFI Graphics Output Protocol (GOP) working. The VBIOS of older video cards don't support GOP, and we will get a black screen, at least until the OS starts and the video driver takes over. Normally POST detects that, and stops the PC from booting. That's one of the main reasons CSM is enabled by default.

I want to add this from your first post:

Finally I turned the csm on off, and the wonder happend, both the bios and the boot screen are full hd :) So give it a try!

The part I want to point out is including the "boot screen", which means the display we see before the OS boots, like the ASRock splash screen, POST messages, etc, that is not part of the UEFI UI display. I think that is what you mean, right?

I've also seen differences in the resolution of the POST/boot screen display, depending upon the type of connection between the video card and monitor, DisplayPort, HDMI, etc. But then I noticed something else...

I only noticed this when I had multiple monitors connected to video cards that have multiple types of outputs, and more than one output of the same type. A new EVGA 1060 video card I have has three DisplayPort outputs, one HDMI, and one DVI-D. I have three monitors connected to it, that are shared with multiple PCs, so it's a mess of different cables from each PC to the monitors.

I noticed that the three DisplayPort outputs are not the same regarding which monitor is active during POST. Depending upon which DP output I used, the monitor receiving a signal during POST (only one of the three will be active) would be the monitor connected with the DVI cable, instead of the DisplayPort cable. That would also be the monitor that was used if I was using the UEFI UI. Again, that also would be different (different monitor and resolution) if the CSM option was enabled or disabled.

It's a complex situation that I don't completely understand yet. The point I'm trying to make here is, if your video card has multiple outputs of the same type, and you see different resolutions in the POST/boot screen and the UEFI UI, try changing to a different output of the same type. As dzsc said, if you can set CSM to disabled, that can also make a difference.

-------------

Posted By: salomonfr
Date Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 8:21pm
Same problem here. Asrock z370 exreme4 and msi gtx 1060 gb gaming x using display port. I disabled CSM. Now resolution is good in boot but wrong (small) in bios. What I can try to do? Or it is an Invidia ussue?

Posted By: ponyi
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 4:07am
Great solution!

I had the same issue. After testing some RAMs I tweaked the BIOS (MB: X370 PRO4) and accidentally enabled CSM. After that however I set BIOS UEFI HD, GRUB, whatever, the resolution went to VGA.

After reading your post CSM was set to off and all OK Full HD!

So thanks!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net