Forum Description: Question about ASRock Intel Motherboards
URL: https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3205
Printed Date: 02 May 2024 at 11:24pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: ATuning crashes on Win10
Posted By: Jojo110
Subject: ATuning crashes on Win10
Date Posted: 07 Aug 2016 at 2:58pm
I am running ATuning 2.0.271 dated 11/16/2015 on an Extreme Z6 mobo.  There does not seem to be a later version than 2.0.271.

Since moving to Win10 Pro X64, I have started getting various errors from ATuning such as this:

"Access violation at address at 007E0797 in module ATuning.exe.  Read of address 00000000." causing the ATuning app to terminate once I click on the repeating message a few times.

How to fix this problem?

Replies:
Date Posted: 07 Aug 2016 at 3:16pm
I meant Z97 Extreme6 mobo.

Date Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 1:32am
Today, when I returned to my computer after waking up, the fans were running at 100%.  Very noisy!

I looked at A-Tuning "Fan-Tastic" section and saw that the fan curves had all disappeared overnight!  Huh?

I tried rebooting but it didn't help.  So I then removed A-Tuning, which fixed the problem (I now depend on fan tuning from the BIOS).

Disappointed in ASRock for lack of support on this issue and other problems in the past. 

It is now impossible to recommend ASRock to anyone considering a new mobo.

Date Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 12:23pm
As I've received no answers to this problem, I am wondering if this is the official forum for ASRock technical support or just a "community" of users helping each other?

Posted By: wardog
Date Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 1:03pm
Jojo,

Sorry. I missed your post prior.

What I believe is happening is A-Tuning was installed with usage/access for All Accounts, vs just yours.

I've had this happen once, and only once knock on wood. IIRC re-installing with just access/permissions to your acct it should run smooth.

If your not still peeved with ASRock, and us Moderators here, give it a try the way I described and please post back the results.

IIRC you need to rt-click on the installable and select "Run as Admin" , assuming your User Account is indeed Admin.

Posted By: parsec
Date Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by Jojo110 Jojo110 wrote:

I am running ATuning 2.0.271 dated 11/16/2015 on an Extreme Z6 mobo.  There does not seem to be a later version than 2.0.271.

Since moving to Win10 Pro X64, I have started getting various errors from ATuning such as this:

"Access violation at address at 007E0797 in module ATuning.exe.  Read of address 00000000." causing the ATuning app to terminate once I click on the repeating message a few times.

How to fix this problem?

Is your Windows 10 installation an upgrade installation, or a new, fresh installation of Windows 10?

Do you know which build of Windows 10 Pro you are using? Is it the new Anniversary version?

What UEFI version are you using?

Do you run A-Tuning automatically when Windows starts, or manually?

We aren't seeing many complaints about A-Tuning not working with Windows 10 on your board.

Windows 10 has caused problems for many programs and drivers, some that have not been solved for months by the provider of the driver, Intel's networking driver for example. The new way Microsoft is releasing the updates/changes to their product (Windows 10) as a new package rather than small updates, seems to be causing more issues with existing software than in the past.

-------------
http://valid.x86.fr/48rujh" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Xaltar
Date Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Is your Windows 10 installation an upgrade installation, or a new, fresh installation of Windows 10?

This^

Many of the complaints we see here on the forums regarding Windows 10 seem to be occurring with upgraded copies. MS really didn't get the upgrade setup right, so many issues with driver and app compatibility.   

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2016 at 10:54am

Do you know which build of Windows 10 Pro you are using? Is it the new Anniversary version?

What UEFI version are you using?

Do you run A-Tuning automatically when Windows starts, or manually?

We aren't seeing many complaints about A-Tuning not working with Windows 10 on your board.

Windows 10 has caused problems for many programs and drivers, some that have not been solved for months by the provider of the driver, Intel's networking driver for example. The new way Microsoft is releasing the updates/changes to their product (Windows 10) as a new package rather than small updates, seems to be causing more issues with existing software than in the past.

1. Upgrade installation
2. Anniversary. Build 14393.rs1_release.160715-1616
3. 2.50 UEFI
4. AT runs automatically

So far, I only had one driver that needed to be reinstalled and that was a Cirque touchpad driver, which is the style mouse I use on the desktop.

I can't seem to find where the old AT module is.  Where can I download it from?

I am surprised AT hasn't been updated since late 2015!

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2016 at 11:00am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Jojo,

Sorry. I missed your post prior.

What I believe is happening is A-Tuning was installed with usage/access for All Accounts, vs just yours.

I've had this happen once, and only once knock on wood. IIRC re-installing with just access/permissions to your acct it should run smooth.

If your not still peeved with ASRock, and us Moderators here, give it a try the way I described and please post back the results.

IIRC you need to rt-click on the installable and select "Run as Admin" , assuming your User Account is indeed Admin.

Don't quite understand.  I run as admin, as I always have.  Only other account IS the official Admin account.

Posted By: parsec
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2016 at 11:37am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

This^

Many of the complaints we see here on the forums regarding Windows 10 seem to be occurring with upgraded copies. MS really didn't get the upgrade setup right, so many issues with driver and app compatibility.   

I have people asking me how to prevent the automatic, basically forced upgrade to Windows 10 that is being sucked into their PCs by an update service program that runs on their PCs. The update service program is a resource hog, which is one of the main objections of most people that ask me about this.

They are also worried that their older PC hardware won't be compatible with Windows 10. While they are not 100% wrong, these people are not the PC hardware enthusiast type that install drivers, etc, on their own. They just want their PC to work and not be broken by outside intervention that they did not ask for.

Microsoft has been sued successfully (at least in one case) for their forced Windows 10 "upgrade", but that does not seem to have stopped them from continuing this practice. It may take a while for governments to catch up with this. I imagine the EU will be the one that is the first to step in, if they can legally.

The transition point for hardware when Windows 10 starts to become questionable, at least for Intel platforms, seems to be anything before the 7 series chipsets, like a Z77.  This is for new, clean Windows 10 installations with manual, controlled driver and software installation. That means with the PC not connected to the Internet until the basic driver and software installation is complete. That's how I do it, and have a clean Windows 10 installation on an ASRock Z77 board working fine.

Windows 10 upgrade installations have the added (apparently huge) variable of the Windows version currently on the PC. Who knows how that works. Are the drivers that are used in the Windows 10 upgrade based upon those that are currently used on the PC, for example? Or the INF files? I cannot begin to comment on this situation, mainly from lack of experience, but the number of variables involved make it impossible for me to even guess about it.

The six series chipsets like P67 and Z68 seem to have both success and failures with Windows 10. You'll notice that the number of Windows 10 compatible drivers for boards with these chipsets become much more scarce then newer chipsets.

Once you get older than the six series, meaning the 5 series (P55, etc), X58, and earlier Intel chipsets, we don't see any drivers beyond Windows 7 on the download pages of these boards. Do the Microsoft Windows 10 drivers, etc, work with these boards? I can't say they won't, but I also can't say that they will.

Possibly a coincidence, but the use of UEFI firmware began with the Intel six series chipset boards. The only capability used at that time was the GUI type interface for the firmware options. The seven series chipset boards began letting us actually use other UEFI capabilities. Is that one of the major factors in the wall between Windows 10 compatibility and not?

-------------
http://valid.x86.fr/48rujh" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2016 at 2:23pm

[QUOTE=wardog]
Don't quite understand.  I run as admin, as I always have.  Only other account IS the official Admin account.

Even with you being the only current acct, when a program gets installed as "Access For All Accounts" it installs/writes to the registry differently.

Try reinstalling it. Or not.

Then there's running with Admin Privileges and the doors that that opens up.

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2016 at 3:50pm

[QUOTE=wardog]

Even with you being the only current acct, when a program gets installed as "Access For All Accounts" it installs/writes to the registry differently.

Try reinstalling it. Or not.

Then there's running with Admin Privileges and the doors that that opens up.

Not worried about running in Admin mode.  Have been doing that for many years w/o any problems. 

I will try an AT reinstall this weekend.

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2016 at 3:03am
Reinstall seems to be working.  Have not had any AT crashes in 2 days.

Still wondering why there have not been any AT updates since 11/16/2015, over 9 months now and counting?  Is the program dead?

Date Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 2:54am
Problem looks resolved by the reinstall.  Have not had any errors since the reinstall.

I am still waiting for any answer as to when the next ATuning update will be and why there have not been any updates since Nov 2015!

Date Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 2:18pm
Damm!  Wrote to soon. 

The ATuning problems just returned out of nowhere. 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3aloIK_2QNddjZCU0xOUXRkZmM

Date Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 3:26pm
JoJo, sorry for your problems.

The below comes from my contacts at ASRock. Fingers crossed it is applicable, and solves this for you.

Please refer below steps for try:

Please re-install AXTU once again on windows 10 x64.
By default AXTU installer put files in: c:\Program Files (x86)\ASRock Utility\AXTU\

Now please make new install path and put AXTU in windows 10 x64 program files folder:
c:\Program Files\ASRock Utility\AXTU\

My note: You might rename c:\Program Files (x86)\ASRock Utility\AXTU\ to c:\Program Files (x86)\OLD ASRock Utility\AXTU\ to keep any possible registry entries for using the old dir.

Please post back how it goes there.

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 2:01am

JoJo, sorry for your problems.

The below comes from my contacts at ASRock. Fingers crossed it is applicable, and solves this for you.

Please refer below steps for try:

Please re-install AXTU once again on windows 10 x64.
By default AXTU installer put files in: c:\Program Files (x86)\ASRock Utility\AXTU\

Now please make new install path and put AXTU in windows 10 x64 program files folder:
c:\Program Files\ASRock Utility\AXTU\

My note: You might rename c:\Program Files (x86)\ASRock Utility\AXTU\ to c:\Program Files (x86)\OLD ASRock Utility\AXTU\ to keep any possible registry entries for using the old dir.

Please post back how it goes there.

Did not work!  Reinstalled in new folder.  As always, ran OK for 2 or 3 days, then starts to crash.

If I reboot, then AT will run OK for a couple of days and then crash.

This sounds like some data area internally gets overloaded or corrupted after a couple of days. 

Problem DID NOT occur on Win10 pre-AU.

If I am the only one with this problem, them why am I unique?  Is there a log that can be examined?  Or a debug mode turned on?

Date Posted: 01 Sep 2016 at 12:41pm
Knock, knock.  Anyone home?

Date Posted: 03 Sep 2016 at 2:49am
Bump

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 1:36pm
Everyone reading this thread should keep the lack of support in mind when considering whether to purchase another ASRock product.  When there is a difficult situation, there is no help to be found.  They pull their heads into their shells and abandon users.

I will be replacing this mobo with a more mainstream and hopefully better supported product from a more reputable company in the coming months.

I already have a negative ASRock review on NewEgg and I will be adding others on Amazon and elsewhere.

Posted By: Beatb0x
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2017 at 5:28pm
The dreaded AXTU Error: 0xFFFE This utility is not for this platform can simply be fixed by setting the power plan back to normal and rebooting.

Since i've set
Control Panel - Preferred Plan - back to "High performance" and rebooted the error is gone.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net