Print Page | Close Window

asrock 970 extreme4 with nvme

Printed From: ASRock.com
Category: Technical Support
Forum Name: AMD Motherboards
Forum Description: Question about ASRock AMD motherboards
URL: http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3371
Printed Date: 02 Mar 2024 at 9:21am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com


Topic: asrock 970 extreme4 with nvme
Posted By: slayme40
Subject: asrock 970 extreme4 with nvme
Date Posted: 04 Sep 2016 at 4:21pm
Hi does anyone know if the asrock 970 extreme 4 supports nvme ssds? I know it doesn't have an m2 slot but I know you can buy adapters that plug into a pci-express slot. Also will a samsung 950pro with adapter work if I plug it into the pcie-5 slot? Will I be able boot off it?


-------------
I love to tinker



Replies:
Posted By: wardog
Date Posted: 04 Sep 2016 at 6:12pm
Not 100% sure, but I don't believe so.

Blasted ASRock for taking down all BIOS revisions 'cept 2.80 for this MB.


Hang out here and wait for a reply or contact ASRock Tech using http://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp" rel="nofollow - http://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp


Posted By: parsec
Date Posted: 04 Sep 2016 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by slayme40 slayme40 wrote:

Hi does anyone know if the asrock 970 extreme 4 supports nvme ssds? I know it doesn't have an m2 slot but I know you can buy adapters that plug into a pci-express slot. Also will a samsung 950pro with adapter work if I plug it into the pcie-5 slot? Will I be able boot off it?


I doubt the 970 Extreme4 will support NVMe SSDs as the OS/boot drive. You would need a UEFI/BIOS version that adds NVMe support on older boards like this one.

The few existing ASRock AMD boards that now have NVMe support, have the UEFI updates with NVMe added recently, in 2016. The last UEFI update for your board is dated 2015. Given this, I'm sure your board does not currently support NVMe SSDs as the OS drive.

One important detail, the required interface for the 950 Pro is PCIe 3.0 x4. Your board supports PCIe 2.0, so while a 950 Pro would work as a data drive with an M.2 to PCIe adapter card, it would not operate at its full performance.

 
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Not 100% sure, but I don't believe so.

Blasted ASRock for taking down all BIOS revisions 'cept 2.80 for this MB.


Hang out here and wait for a reply or contact ASRock Tech using http://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp" rel="nofollow - http://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp


You know why they've done that, and I thought you supported it...

Add warning message when unsupported CPU installed.


-------------
http://valid.x86.fr/48rujh" rel="nofollow">


Posted By: wardog
Date Posted: 04 Sep 2016 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:


You know why they've done that, and I thought you supported it...

Add warning message when unsupported CPU installed.


I'm gung-ho and wholeheartedly support the warning msg and failure to support where NO support should exist. That's not what I was getting at by posting that. No. No. No. Like you, just because it fits in the socket should not be an excuse and overlook the fact of  ""Are we doing the RIGHT thing here boys and girls?""


What peeves me is not being able to read and consider what previous past and now nonexistent BIOS release descriptions corrected/fixed/added. Dead


Posted By: parsec
Date Posted: 04 Sep 2016 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:


You know why they've done that, and I thought you supported it...

Add warning message when unsupported CPU installed.


I'm gung-ho and wholeheartedly support the warning msg and failure to support where NO support should exist. That's not what I was getting at by posting that. No. No. No. Like you, just because it fits in the socket should not be an excuse and overlook the fact of  ""Are we doing the RIGHT thing here boys and girls?""


What peeves me is not being able to read and consider what previous past and now nonexistent BIOS release descriptions corrected/fixed/added. Dead


That of course is a good point, which no one could disagree with, including myself.

But you also know what the problem is if the earlier UEFI/BIOS versions were available. Of course, the descriptions of those versions could be included.


-------------
http://valid.x86.fr/48rujh" rel="nofollow">


Posted By: decoder80
Date Posted: 20 Aug 2020 at 10:11am
HI, here si a file you need https://yadi.sk/d/zotFyE9LdRZhgw
its made by 970 Extreme4(2.80)ROM
i made it for myself, i check it. Its works realy.
made by video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVUdeBDi0lk

nvme block take from 990FX Extreme9(1.80)ROM



Posted By: falcontech
Date Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 1:33am
Originally posted by decoder80 decoder80 wrote:

HI, here si a file you need https://yadi.sk/d/zotFyE9LdRZhgw
its made by 970 Extreme4(2.80)ROM
i made it for myself, i check it. Its works realy.
made by video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVUdeBDi0lk

nvme block take from 990FX Extreme9(1.80)ROM



Hi
I installed the bios you posted but the nvme entry in the bios screen is not present anywhere, is this normal?



Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net