URL: https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=34491
Printed Date: 21 May 2024 at 3:10pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: x470 Taichi bricked after update to 10.10
Posted By: Termy
Subject: x470 Taichi bricked after update to 10.10
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2024 at 2:32pm
Hi,
yesterday i updated my x470 Taichi from UEFI 5.10 to 10.10.
Everything seemed normal, no errors and the "reboot with enter" at the end.
Unfortunately, after that the PC doesn´t post anymore.
It's stuck in a bootloop, the debug code segment display doesn't show anything.
I tried CMOS-Reset on the Backpane, that didn't help, then i tried removing the CMOS Battery for 4 hours and setting the CLRCMOS jumper, that had the small effect that now the CPU-Fans start up again. But still no post, no debug code or anything.
A real shame that this board doesn't yet have a flashback function :(

Is there any hope that the support might help me with this in an acceptable timeframe or is it not worth bothering filing a ticket?

In any case, at the very least i wanted to let others know that 10.10 might be a bit of a gamble.

Replies:
Posted By: upintheclouds
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2024 at 2:18am
I just want to share that I have had the same experience with the 10.X releases of the x470 Taichi Ultimate BIOS. I have tried all of 10.01, 10.10 and 10.11, and each one results in a completely bricked board, which boot loops infinitely and does not even produce POST codes. Clearing CMOS, re-seating or replacing RAM and CPU does nothing. This is happening with a 3700X, 3900X, and 5800X3D, so the problem is not down to using an older gen CPU, as advised against on the BIOS release notes. When I performed the update, I ensured that all BIOS versions were set to defaults, but fTPM was disabled. If there's some other step I missed, let me know, but im o these all seem very, very broken.

I have a FlashCat, and reverted to BIOS 8.01 successfully and this allows the board to boot again. This has proven to be my only option. I am disappointed, because I was hoping to see if these newer releases include Core Optimizer configuration, but they are utterly unusable.

Asrock, did you even test these? Is there some bridge version which I should be flashing between 8.01 and 10.X which you've since revoked? How dare you publish 3 broken BIOS versions for a board which is now out of warranty for almost all users?!

Termy, I would hope that they could offer you an option to re-flash your board back to a working version, considering that their last 3 published updates are completely broken. If not, you can DM me and I'll flash yours back to a working version for free.

Posted By: Maverickcdn
Date Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 10:14am
I too have a bricked motherboard after updating 8.01 to 10.11

When using FlashCat was desoldering required?

Have a ticket started with them, see how long it takes to get a response

Posted By: upintheclouds
Date Posted: 15 Apr 2024 at 1:08am
Originally posted by Maverickcdn Maverickcdn wrote:

When using FlashCat was desoldering required?

No. I just used an SOIC-16 test clip while the system was powered down. You could also use a cheaper EEPROM programmer (e.g. CH341a with a 1.8v converter board), but the flashcat software allows voltage selection (depends on model) and auto-detection of the flash chip.

It's come in handy a few times in the past when I changed BIOS without disabling RAM OC and got some bad bits programmed in, so keep that in mind when comparing a chip programmer to the cost of RMA shipping and/or a new board.

Date Posted: 15 Apr 2024 at 7:39am
Originally posted by upintheclouds upintheclouds wrote:

No. I just used an SOIC-16 test clip while the system was powered down. You could also use a cheaper EEPROM programmer (e.g. CH341a with a 1.8v converter board), but the flashcat software allows voltage selection (depends on model) and auto-detection of the flash chip.

Thanks for the reply, bought a clip and CH341a w/1.8v on Amazon and gonna give it a try. Assuming you just used the 8.01 bios file from the Asrock site?

Its been a while since I've used a serial/eeprom flash tool but I think I can handle it

Posted By: Termy
Date Posted: 15 Apr 2024 at 4:49pm
I had already found a dealer that flashed my board for 20 bucks, so i guess i got lucky there - thanks for the offer though @upintheclouds ! :)

I've now got 10.11 running and it seems fine, but of course i don´t know if they did anything special to get 10.11 running. At least they didn´t mention anything.

The fact that i´m not the only one affected deals a pretty big blow to my trust in Asrock though :/

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2024 at 10:53pm
Thanks to @Termy and @upintheclouds for sharing their experience. Makes one feel better when you're not the only one experiencing an issue

I tried externally flashing 10.11 and still had no post but after reverting back to 8.01 Im back in business.

I suppose if anything this gave me a chance to tear down the system for cleaning maintenance.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net