Forum Description: Question about ASRock Intel Motherboards
URL: https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3854
Printed Date: 16 Jun 2024 at 5:05am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Suddenly Stopped Working
Posted By: TurbodTurtle
Subject: Suddenly Stopped Working
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2016 at 8:54pm
" rel="nofollow - Hi all, i really need some help as I am now totally stumped.

Spec:

Asrock Z170 Gaming K6
i5 6600k
GTX 1070
Corsair Force SSD 500GB
1TB 2.5" HDD
Watercooled
Asus Wireless Card
2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4

My computer was absolutely fine for months, i then turned it off and didn't use it for about 2 weeks. I turned it back on, it was fine, put it into sleep and went to turn it on the next day and the errors began.

First it was stuck in a boot loop, I disconnected everything and cleared CMOS many many times getting code 00, eventually it posted however wouldn't detect any USB device. Eventually i plugged my keyboard into one of the USB 3.1 ports and managed to boot to windows.

Now I am in windows however my USB 3.0 controller could not start (Error Code 10), tried unplugging the power for ages, tried updating drivers using the common methods i can find online - nothing. The USB ports have power but do not detect any devices, they are completely unusable.

Then i had issues shutting down, windows would shut down but then the computer would stay turned on but display either 04 or 05 on the Dr Debug - memory error. I changed the memory to 2 different slots (still in the correct configuration) and the error went away, however now the computer won't shut down. Windows shuts down, i lose the screen signal, all fans and HDD continue to run. After a while i push the power button and the windows login screen comes up immediately, almost like i've restored it from sleep.

Also, when i set the bios XMP profile to Profile 1 (what it has always ran on) I will then get stuck in a boot loop with IE showing on the Dr Debug LED.

Any ideas?

Replies:
Posted By: parsec
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2016 at 11:14pm
" rel="nofollow - Could be a hardware or software problem.

What version of Windows are you using? Windows 10? Wonderful Windows 10 will update both itself and drivers unless you have it configured not to do any driver updates, which can cause problems. You could check Windows Programs and Features to see what drivers are actually installed, and of course Device Manager.

Two things I'm thinking about on the hardware side, your unknown PSU, and the Corsair Force SSD. Early Sandforce based SSDs like the Force can be troublesome.

Start a Command Prompt (Admin) and enter sfc /scannow

Let that complete, and see what it tells you. That checks for corruption of the Windows installation.

I wonder about the PSU, since you said you saw at one point a 00 code on Dr Debug, which means a dead or missing CPU. Since the CPU worked after that, you might have an intermittent PSU issue, which is the worst to deal with. Trying a different PSU as a test would be a good idea.

-------------
http://valid.x86.fr/48rujh" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2016 at 11:44pm
Thanks for the reply.

Sorry i missed the PSU, it is a Corsair AX 760.  I've made sure all the cables are in tight.

I have run the sfc /scannow command and it came back with no integrity violations.

Yes, the lovely windows 10. Seems horrifically broken!

I've made a video, it's not the best but i'm trying to upload it and will post the link.

PSU does sound possible, the ram not getting enough power could explain it not posting and the USB ports not getting enough power is apparently an issue in Windows 10 (I've disabled the power management for them)

Posted By: wardog
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 1:44am
" rel="nofollow -
Originally posted by TurbodTurtle TurbodTurtle wrote:

Then i had issues shutting down, windows would shut down but then the computer would stay turned on but display either 04 or 05 on the Dr Debug - memory error. I changed the memory to 2 different slots (still in the correct configuration) and the error went away, however now the computer won't shut down. Windows shuts down, i lose the screen signal, all fans and HDD continue to run. After a while i push the power button and the windows login screen comes up immediately, almost like i've restored it from sleep.

Also, when i set the bios XMP profile to Profile 1 (what it has always ran on) I will then get stuck in a boot loop with IE showing on the Dr Debug LED.

Any ideas?

First, the 04 and 05 you see on Dr Debug when you "shut it down' are actually reporting being in sleep states, not reporting memory issues.

The 00 you see is worrisome. Is it OC'd? If I were to venture reading your post I'd bet it is.

Date Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 2:02am
" rel="nofollow - It was oc'd, I cant remember what settings I had it at as it was fine for ages (I think it was at 4.5GHz), however while stress testing the temps didn't go over 60c. Currently on base clock, all fans on silent and the pump turned right down the temps are 20/21/20/19.

I see, so why would it suddenly be going into sleep states rather than shutting down? I haven't changed any settings re: sleep/shut down. It is showing 04 again now when shutting down, however restart works (shows 04 for a few seconds then reboots).

I've updated all of my other drivers, still no joy with the USB ports.

While using it (not including the USB ports) it's generally faultless, however every now and then my RAM usage is at 100% and the computer is unusable. I have to force power off, wait a few seconds then start it back up.

Date Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 2:24am
" rel="nofollow - Hmmmm, I had to dig to find IE .

That relates to video, trouble determining monochrome or color monitor.

By any chance has it been jostled recently. W/o going back, I'd at least try reseating EVERYTHING, including the 24 and 4-pin power, that is(or was??) connected currently.

You won't like this, but failing that I think I'd myself reseat the processor next.

Date Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 3:21am
Not to my knowledge, however it is quite possible the other half has and not told me!

I've already reseated all cables (even fans) both board and PSU side, so looks like CPU out job which is going to be a nightmare, however windows won't boot at all now and is telling me to insert correct boot media so another problem to fix! I should have stuck with Windows 7...

Date Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 5:36am
Boot/post behaves exactly the same with a different hard drive running windows 10 home. I think it's going to be the motherboard.

I'm doing a completely fresh Win. 10 install on it now to see if that changes anything

If not i'll most likey be RMA'ing the motherboard, PSU and CPU and then look at getting a different board.

I can't think of any other steps i can take (I'm running it now bare bones to install Win 10)

Date Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 10:25am
" rel="nofollow -
Originally posted by TurbodTurtle TurbodTurtle wrote:

Boot/post behaves exactly the same with a different hard drive running windows 10 home. I think it's going to be the motherboard.

I'm doing a completely fresh Win. 10 install on it now to see if that changes anything

If not i'll most likey be RMA'ing the motherboard, PSU and CPU and then look at getting a different board.

I can't think of any other steps i can take (I'm running it now bare bones to install Win 10)

Then reseating the CPU didn't get you anywhere concerning this issue?

Date Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 10:27am
Too, check/monitor the +3.3v and +5.0v PSU outputs that they aren't over or under by much.

Date Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 3:12pm
Unfortunately not :( it was a good shout though, as soon as I loosened the cooler after pulling everything apart, I forgot the cpu wasn't the old pin style and was just laid in so could easily have been moved.

I keep putting off learning how to use a voltmeter. I'll buy one today and learn how to use it and give that a shot!

With everything cleared and reset I still get the IE error and refusing to power down and no usb 3.0, even with different hdd so I think I've ruled out a software issue.

If the psu comes back fine I've emailed scan asking for advise on what they would like sent back ready to RMA it. If the board is faulty I might go for a different one.

Date Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 7:02pm
No DVOM needed.

Grab HWiNFO or the like. It'll monitor voltages from the Nouvoton chip.

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 11:13pm
" rel="nofollow -
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

No DVOM needed.

Grab HWiNFO or the like. It'll monitor voltages from the Nouvoton chip.

Edit: See below

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 11:24pm
Sorry i doubted my own abilities!

HWiNFO report

I'm currently running MemTest86, so far 49% pass

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 1:13am
" rel="nofollow - I don't have a Z170 to compare to, but ............

That big swing in AUXTIN1 looks like you don't have a fan blowing over the VRM section of your motherboard.

When water-cooling this is a necessity as the pump now doesn't blow cooling air over the VRMs and other parts surrounding the CPU socket.

So, no fan I'm guessing? Right?

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 1:38am
All fans are disconnected currently (minus the pump and radiator fan). I'll try and find a photo of the board layout.

I have read an issue somewhere on AsRock boards about the VRM gettng really hot being a problem but i have no idea where it was.

When the screenshot was taken the pc had been on about 5 mins.

This is the board (not my exact one, from google) minus the CPU holder

Posted By: parsec
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 2:35am
I do have an ASRock Z170 Extreme7+ board, and have used HWiNFO64 for years.

Every sensor reading shown in HWiNFO64 is not a valid reading. There are sensor outputs from the sensor chip that are not used. All of the AUXTIN readings (I get three) are not valid readings. You can tell by the range of values shown, that are simply impossible, or don't change much if at all. Others are duplicate readings.

AUXTIN1 for example, ranging from 0C to 124C, that's 32F to 255F. What component could possibly be 255F and still be functioning? You can edit out those readings with the Layout tab of the Config option.

My Z170 board shows the VRM temperatures, which TurbodTurtle may not have shown in his screen shot. Here is a sample of mine, with unnecessary readings edited out:

As you know, you PSU voltages are fine. So you don't see a VRM reading in HWiNFO64 for your board?

You read somewhere an issue with ASRock boards and the VRM temperature being hot? I'm sorry, but that is such a non-specific reference without any information that is essential to understanding the situation. You can see on my board, the VRM temperatures are 24C and 29C, hardly even warm.

What you read could have been about a low-end board with a small or no heat sink on the VRM chips, plus a very simple 4 + 1 (or less) phase design. Then that person was over clocking their CPU, with little to no case ventilation. Without context or any details, "information" like that is worthless. You can imagine the number of ASRock boards I have used over the years, the first one the Z77 Extreme4. I can honestly say I have never had any of my 10+ ASRock boards fail on me, or have problems. That does not mean any mother board is immune from problems, but ASRock products are not poor quality.

wardog and Xaltar can confirm for you that we have seen problems with PCs with ASRock boards in this forum, and after the person replaced his board with the same model, he still had the same problem.

I'm still picking on your SSD, did you ever run a manual TRIM (Optimize) command in Windows 10? That is in the Properties, Tools for each drive.

-------------
http://valid.x86.fr/48rujh" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2016 at 12:47am
Thanks for all the help. The board is going back tomorrow for thorough testing.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net