Topic: How to install USB 3 drivers?
Posted By: JohnS
Subject: How to install USB 3 drivers?
Date Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 7:53am
" rel="nofollow - Motherboard: FM2A88M Extreme4+
BIOS: P.290

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

USB 3 Controller in BIOS is set to "Auto"

When I plug a USB 3 capable external drive into any USB 3 port, I get a message that a driver failed to install. Device Manager shows two entries named Universal Serial Bus Controller under "Other Devices".  

USB 2 controllers work normally.

Have looked in the Support section here and downloaded All-In-1 driver package 15.20.1065. Extracted and ran it . It loads Catalyst drivers and such, but no USB 3 drivers.

Uninstalled the two controllers from Other Devices in Device Manager and rebooted. They came back.

Uninstalled them again but did not reboot. Ran All-In-1 driver setup again, but did not help.

Rebooted and two USB controllers again showing in Other Devices in Device Manager.

What else can I do?

thanks
john

Replies:
Posted By: wardog
Date Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 10:09am
" rel="nofollow - Hi John,

What "drive' is it you're plugging in?

If this a new build go to the below link and at the very bottom is "AMD Chipset, AHCI, USB 3.0 and RAID Drivers" for x86 or x64 editions of 10, 8.1, and 7.
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

Run it after downloading, then reboot immediately afterwards.

Please post the results.

Date Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 10:18am
Meh, we really should get that BIOS updated to the current, L3.10, first.

DO NOT use internet Flash.

Download the Instant Flash file, unpack it, then move the BIOS file itself onto a freshly formatted FAT32 thumb drive. Then shut down and insert the thumb drive into a USB 2.0 port at the rear I/O panel, boot up, enter the BIOS and use the Instant Flash utility from inside the BIOS to upflash to L3.10. IIRC look under the Tools tab for the instant Flash utility. Once launched it should read the thumb drive and offer to upgrade the BIOS to the 3.10 file that is on it. Hit Enter when the file is displayed in the popp-up and follow any prompts till it asks to Reboot. Presto.

Date Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 10:42am
" rel="nofollow - Hello,

First of all, thank you for the quick reply.

You posted two responses, and it seems like I should follow the second one first. However, where do I download BIOS v.  L3.10? I look in the support section and don't see it. Even the "Beta" section only shows a version earlier than the one I have installed already.

As to your first post, the external drive I mentioned is a brand new WD 2TB external USB drive, but the same problem occurs with other USB drives that I already have.

This is not a new installation ... probably about a year old or so ... I believe the USB 3 ports worked correctly when I first built this, but I have a USB 2 port and a USB 3 port on the front panel, and had a Logitech wireless mouse dongle plugged into the USB 2 port. When I plugged a USB 3 external hard drive into the USB 3 port, the mouse started to act weird. I thought it might be a radio frequency interference problem, so went into BIOS and disabled USB 3.  After that, the mouse worked correctly and the external hard drive ran correctly, but at 2.0 speeds (of course)

After moving the mouse dongle to another location and re-enabling USB 3 in BIOS, I have not been able to re-activate the USB ports as USB 3. This has been going on for some months, but only today I decided to try to fix it.

Kindly show me a link to the BIOS upgrade that you mentioned and I will do it.

ps. I have installed the ASRock "AppShop" to monitor driver and BIOS updates, but it does not show either BIOS updates nor USB driver updates.

thanks
john

Date Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 1:51pm
" rel="nofollow -
Update:

Haven't heard back from you, so perhaps you've gone to bed? Anyway, I discovered that the "Instant Flash" that you referred to is a selection in the UEFI setup utility (used to be called the BIOS, as you know) (in case someone else reads this). Although I've explored the UEFI setup, I apparently do not have the familiarity that you do. Which, of course, is why I am here.

Clicked on that and a window opened that showed "No updates available" (or words to that effect), so clicked Refresh.

Now screen goes to semi-transparent and no activity indicated after waiting 4-5 minutes. I do have a freshly reformatted USB flash drive inserted (formatted to FAT32).

By moving the mouse cursor around (but not clicking on anything), certain things appear. One is a red circle with a white X in it ... another is a dashed line going completely horizontal left to right, another is a "Yes" click button, the last is a "NO" click button.

Have tried clicking both the Yes, the No and the red circle (each on multiple tries), but none do anything but exit back to the UEFI screen, so gave up.

Rebooted into Windows and followed your link to the AMD site. Clicked the link that you mentioned, and downloaded the utility to flash drive.  Ran that utility and it installed USB 3.0 drivers.

Now, Device Manager shows USB 3.0 controllers installed under the USB listings, but under "Other Devices" shows two Unknown Devices.

Plugged in my new USB 3.0 external hard drive into a USB 3.0 port and it is not recognized, neither in File Explorer nor Device Management, even though it has files on it (used it today as a USB 2.0 drive to do a Macrium Reflect System Image, which is still there)

Just noticed that my rank here is "Newbie" .... LOL!  I presume that is because I just registered today. After 56 years of interest in electronics / computers on the hobbyist level, I find that quite amusing (thanks!)

I guess I should have known that the USB drivers would be available from the AMD website, but I expected ASRock to have the appropriate ones for their board. But the ones from AMD didn't fix the problem anyway.

Still curious as to how to obtain the BIOS version you mentioned, when I can't find it anywhere that I looked. 

But that will have to wait until tomorrow ... My bed time now .... and getting too tired to type, and then fix the typos.

Date Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by JohnS JohnS wrote:

I guess I should have known that the USB drivers would be available from the AMD website, but I expected ASRock to have the appropriate ones for their board. But the ones from AMD didn't fix the problem anyway.

They do. Just that I pointed you to the newest ones on AMDs site.

Still curious as to how to obtain the BIOS version you mentioned, when I can't find it anywhere that I looked. 

But that will have to wait until tomorrow ... My bed time now .... and getting too tired to type, and then fix the typos.

John, my bad. Not sure what MB I clicked on to see L3.10 but it was not your motherboard. Please accept my humble and sincere apology for my misleading you.

Ok. You installed the latest chipset driver and have two Unknowns huh?

Let's see what they are and if one or both might be an issue here.

In Device Manager, click on both to bring up their Properties, click on the Details tab, then select Hardware Ids from the drop down. Copy and paste both the Hardware IDs displayed fror each please. We'll first get those two cleared out and proceed from there.

Noob.I have decades into computing but even you make me feel young with 56yrs of it Tongue

[/QUOTE]

Date Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 2:29pm
And no. Wasn't sleeping but instead I had taken the Wife out to dinner. Gotta keep her happy.Wink

Posted By: Xaltar
Date Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 2:51pm
Newbie is just the "rank" assigned to new members, it is based on your points Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Nov 2016 at 10:07am
" rel="nofollow - To Wardog:

No problem ... I was curious however why Instant Flash didn't find it. 

Device Manager shows two identical entries under "Other Devices". Checking the Details page in Properties gives this Hardware ID:

AMDUSB30\ROOT_HUB30&VID_1022&PID_7814&REV_0009&SID_78141849

(both are the same IDs)

I did find an offer to obtain a driver at this site, but don't know if they can be trusted:

http://drivers.awdit.com/amd/amd-usb-3-0-root-hub/

Screenshot of the Details page (showing the other USB 3.0 controllers already installed ) should be here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gwl9lh1osyqen9u/AAADXgQrvEQ26lQ5MqZ4gdgAa?dl=0

thanks

Posted By: parsec
Date Posted: 29 Nov 2016 at 10:51pm

" rel="nofollow - To Wardog:

No problem ... I was curious however why Instant Flash didn't find it. 

Device Manager shows two identical entries under "Other Devices". Checking the Details page in Properties gives this Hardware ID:

AMDUSB30\ROOT_HUB30&VID_1022&PID_7814&REV_0009&SID_78141849

(both are the same IDs)

I did find an offer to obtain a driver at this site, but don't know if they can be trusted:

http://drivers.awdit.com/amd/amd-usb-3-0-root-hub/

Screenshot of the Details page (showing the other USB 3.0 controllers already installed ) should be here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gwl9lh1osyqen9u/AAADXgQrvEQ26lQ5MqZ4gdgAa?dl=0

thanks

Yes, I see two entries for the AMD USB 3.0 Host Controller in Device Manager. But the two unknown devices are the hubs for the controllers, that seems to be the problem. Windows 7 is not friendly with USB 3.0 at all, no inbox drivers for it.

Your board has two AMD all in 1 driver packages for Windows 7, have you tried the second one? The AMD all in 1 driver ver:15.20.1065?

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/FM2A88M%20Extreme4+/?cat=Download&os=Win764

I assume you are trying to use the USB 3.0 ports on the board's IO panel? Are you connecting the USB device (flash drive?) directly to the USB 3.0 ports on the IO panel?

Just noticed you may be using the USB 3.0 ports on your PC case. Better check the cable connection on the board for the USB 3.0 ports on your case. The connector is not very tight and easily moved out of place. I've had the USB ports on a PC case fail in the past, I had to replace the circuit board for the PC case's front panel assembly. Also, there is usually a power connection to the circuit board in a PC case, molex usually, be sure that is connected properly.

-------------
http://valid.x86.fr/48rujh" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 1:29am
To Parsec:

Thank you for trying to help, however if you read my first post, ver. 15.20 1065 "IS" the version that I tried. I downloaded this one because it also covers Windows 10, which I have installed on a separate hard drive in the same computer. I don't recall if I ever tried the USB 3.0 drives with the Windows 10 installation. I might try that, but I am disgusted with Windows 10 and have no intention of using it, therefore am hoping to fix this Windows 7 problem.

The drives are hard drives, not thumb drives. I have two of them, both in external cases, one brand new, one about 2 years old, both have their own connector cable.

I have tried both drives with both the front panel USB 3 connector, and the rear panel USB 3 connectors, which are connected directly to the motherboard. Same problem, so cabling / power connections is not the issue.

Both drives work correctly when used with USB 2 connectors.

Yes, I understand that the USB 3 Hubs are the problem, as evidenced by the screenshot and Hardware ID that I submitted. The question is what to do about them.

I don't know what you're referring to when you say "no inbox drivers for it"

Based on the fact that a re-install of the All-In-1 driver package (as mentioned) did not install Hub drivers, and the fact that Windows claims there are no Hub drivers installed, my guess is that the file(s) that comprise the USB 3 Hub drivers is/are installed, but are corrupted. That might explain why the driver Setup program does not install them (it sees they are already there), but Windows doesn't recognize them (as they are corrupt)

If someone can advise me on which files comprise the USB 3 Hub drivers, I will delete those and run the drivers Setup program again.

If you have those files installed on a computer, a look in the Properties window should list the actual file names. If you can pass those filenames on to me, I will be grateful.

thanks
john

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 10:03am
Well looks like I fixed it ... In Device Manage I right-clicked one of the  unknown devices under "Other Devices" and clicked Update Driver Software. I had been here before and had clicked "Search automatically ..." which failed.

This time I clicked "Browse my computer.. " and on the next page clicked "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"  ( I haven't gone down this path in years, since the last time I had to manually install a parallel port printer).

In the list that appears, I scrolled down to USB controllers and opened that. Right there was the AMD USB 3.0 Root Hub driver. Installed that and repeated the steps for the other unknown device.

Working perfectly now. You may mark this as case closed.

ps ... thanks to Wardog for reminding me about Hardware IDs in Device Manager ... that helped me figure out what I was looking for.

thanks
john

Posted By: parsec
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 10:40am
" rel="nofollow -

To Parsec:

Thank you for trying to help, however if you read my first post, ver. 15.20 1065 "IS" the version that I tried. I downloaded this one because it also covers Windows 10, which I have installed on a separate hard drive in the same computer. I don't recall if I ever tried the USB 3.0 drives with the Windows 10 installation. I might try that, but I am disgusted with Windows 10 and have no intention of using it, therefore am hoping to fix this Windows 7 problem.

The drives are hard drives, not thumb drives. I have two of them, both in external cases, one brand new, one about 2 years old, both have their own connector cable.

I have tried both drives with both the front panel USB 3 connector, and the rear panel USB 3 connectors, which are connected directly to the motherboard. Same problem, so cabling / power connections is not the issue.

Both drives work correctly when used with USB 2 connectors.

Yes, I understand that the USB 3 Hubs are the problem, as evidenced by the screenshot and Hardware ID that I submitted. The question is what to do about them.

I don't know what you're referring to when you say "no inbox drivers for it"

Based on the fact that a re-install of the All-In-1 driver package (as mentioned) did not install Hub drivers, and the fact that Windows claims there are no Hub drivers installed, my guess is that the file(s) that comprise the USB 3 Hub drivers is/are installed, but are corrupted. That might explain why the driver Setup program does not install them (it sees they are already there), but Windows doesn't recognize them (as they are corrupt)

If someone can advise me on which files comprise the USB 3 Hub drivers, I will delete those and run the drivers Setup program again.

If you have those files installed on a computer, a look in the Properties window should list the actual file names. If you can pass those filenames on to me, I will be grateful.

thanks
john

"Inbox" drivers is the term for drivers included in the Windows installation files.

Since they were apparently included in Windows, which you loaded manually, the question is why weren't they loaded automatically?

The answer may be because the Windows 7 installer does not have any USB 3.0 drivers included. Yes, you need the hub driver, but if it was there, why was it not installed?

Or was it "there" after one of the myriad Windows 7 updates? Regardless, since we have not been seeing other complaints like yours about your board, it remains a mystery why you had to install that driver manually.

-------------
http://valid.x86.fr/48rujh" rel="nofollow">

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net