Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 5:00pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: J3455-ITX does not boot
Posted By: sndlnk
Subject: J3455-ITX does not boot
Date Posted: 11 Dec 2016 at 8:29pm
" rel="nofollow - Hello everybody,

does anyone also encounters following problem:

The moment, when the psu is connected to the wall, the board tries to boot (PSU fan starts to rotate permanently and also hearable, because the HDDs starting to drive). But there is no POST, no bios, no video signal (HDMI), no keyboard. LEDs at the LAN connector stay dark, even with connected LAN cable.

The power-pins are NOT connected by jump-wire to a button or anything.
I have tried with any combinations of hardware. Problems stays the same:

RAM (tried every slot, single, dual):
Crucial DDR3 8GB CT102464BF186D.M16FP, 1 module
Kingston DDR3 8GB KVR16LS11/8, 1 module

PSU
Seasonic SS-330
Supermicro PWS-202-1H

Removing the BIOS battery like described in the guide http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=630&title=how-to-clear-cmos-via-battery-removal does not work.

There are no visible damages, shorts or anything on the board. Anyone ever observed an similar behaviour? And yes, the latest BIOS version is flashed.

Replies:
Posted By: wardog
Date Posted: 11 Dec 2016 at 10:28pm
1. Pull the MB from the case and with a minimal build see if it runs

2. Check that your cases wiring that leads to the MB's System Panel header are indeed correct.

Date Posted: 11 Dec 2016 at 10:52pm
The board is not attached to the case in anyway. Not a single wire from the case is connected to the board.
It is just the board, RAM and PSU.

Even with this minimal build at least I expected to see POST or the BIOS. But unfortunately there is nothing, no video signal, no LAN detection. Usually the LEDS of the keyboard would turn on, but even they are dead. Ouch

Posted By: wardog
Date Posted: 11 Dec 2016 at 11:57pm
" rel="nofollow - Do the fans spin up?

Is the NIC lighting up?

Is the Crucial memory compatible with this board?
http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/advisor?cm_re=top-nav-_-flyout-memory-_-us-memory-advisor

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2016 at 2:31am
" rel="nofollow - Like I have written in the first post:

- The PSU fan spins up, yes
- NIC does NOT lighten up, no
- According to ASRock the crucial memory is compatible: CT102464BF186D.M16FP (http://asrock.com/mb/Intel/J3455-ITX/index.de.asp?cat=Memory), first one on the list.

Also the alternative memory i tried does not solve the problem: Kingston KVR16LS11/8 which is also in the compatible list of ASRock

If no one ever encountered the same issues or has any clue, I guess the only option for me is to return the board.

But thank you for your attention.

Posted By: Xaltar
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2016 at 2:52am
" rel="nofollow - Has it worked previously or is it new? I would return it if possible. DOA boards happen on occasion and if it isn't the board then the next one will exhibit the same symptoms, at least you will have the peace of mind that you returned/replaced it.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2016 at 2:59am
I have bougth the board 2 weeks ago and in the first few days i have installed win 10 as OS. Everything was fine in the first week.

About a few days later after a regular shutdown the problem started. I could get the system running one or two times by removing the BIOS batter over night as written in the guide, but since 2 days ago it does not work anymore.

Posted By: klampfenfreak
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 8:48am
Same story with my new Asrock j3455-itx. Tried 3 different compatible RAM modules in every combination. Also another power supply. Only one time in this period I had a picture and got into BIOS. (Display showing several starting error. Never happened again. No picture via VGA nor HDMI. No nothing. Only the CPU fan runs when I connect the power chord. I also can't power of the machine. When I long press the power button, fan goes slowly and starts spinning again. Today I returned the board to my dealer for exchange. Hope the new one will work. 1 week of stress getting components for testing, to finaly realise that the board has to be corrupt.

Posted By: parsec
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 12:27pm
The processor used in this board, the Intel J3455, is an ultra-low power device, that supports up to the C10 C State power saving setting, that is otherwise only found in mobile/laptop PC processors, that use battery power.

Like the earlier Haswell generation desktop processors that supported the C7 C State, the J3455 is even more of a difficult load for a PSU. That is, the load on the 12V rail for the processor VRM stage could go so low, the PSU could see a virtual zero load on the +12V rail, become unstable, go out of ATX voltage spec on the +12V rail (normally over spec), and either shut off or function abnormally. User reviews of this board mention additional loads on the PSU help with its stability.

Any PSU that is not at least rated for Intel Haswell/C7 use will likely not work well with that processor, unless certain precautions are taken. Meaning any PSU over three years old in its design will need these precautions.

That is, a load must be put on the PSU's +12V rail from another source. Connecting a fan to the CPU Fan header is a good start. If SSDs or 2.5" HDDs are used with this board, they only use +5V power, so don't load the +12V rail at all. Only 3.5" SATA HDDs use the +12V rail, and the Intel 730 model SSDs. Connecting a case fan directly to the PSU via a molex connector will load the +12V rail enough.

Otherwise, in the BIOS, CPU Configuration screen, set the Power Gear option to Normal or Sport. Set the CPU C States support to no lower than C7 as an initial test, and if that fails use C6. The C10 C State seems to be the default setting. The passive CPU heat sink will need some air circulation, where the case fans will come in handy.

I also suggest updating to the latest BIOS version.

-------------
http://valid.x86.fr/48rujh" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Fudozzo
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 3:06pm
Good Morning Everyone.

I have a question about this post, i've encountered exactly the same issue with my new board.
I only wanted to know if replacing the board was the correct solution. After i've read the last answer here i've tried with a haswell certificated PSU, but no luck at all.

Thank You.

Posted By: robw47
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 10:10pm
I have bought this MB half december 2016.
The case is a MS-Tech CI100.
Installed W10.
I have build in a 80mm casefan, because the case is very small.

In the beginning of March I got the first problem.
After turning on, W10 won't start because the date and time were back to the default of jan 2009.
So I have to modify date and time in the bios.
The Cmos battery was 3V!
I had this a couple of times.
2 weeks ago, suddenly I could not use my keyboard and mouse during my session, both PS2 connect.
And after the reboot, nothing at all.
The power led burns 1 sec and that's all.
MB out of the case, tested with another PSU, the same problem.
Last week I have sent the MB the my supplier and he has sent it to Asrock Europe.
Now still waiting what is happening, a repair, I can't imagine that.

Meanwhile I am very curious if my problem is also the problem of/by others.
And may be, this is so, I will follow this post !!

Still a question about the CPU State support.
I read : Set this not lower than C7 as an initial test, and if that fails, use C6.
But for me, C6 is lower than C7, mathematical.
And yes, the manual shows C10 as default.

-------------
Rob Willemsen
Amsterdam
Holland

Posted By: efcee
Date Posted: 09 Feb 2018 at 4:51pm
" rel="nofollow - Im in the same situation.
At first the system would only sometimes boot, only bios.
i send it back to the shop, and they send it back commenting that there is no problem. (they updated the bios)

i received it back, and could succesfully install the os, and used it for 2 weeks.
yesterday i rebooted the system and it would not boot anymore, sometimes only bios.

i used 3 types of memory, both 2 sticks or 1.
i used 3 types of psu, 2 normal and 1 picopsu.
using a ssd as storage.

i will try the suggest fix of parsec, connecting a 12v fan to a molex connector.
anyone has a different solution?

Posted By: astral7
Date Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 5:07pm
did you try to install new version of bios. I had similar problem and it has helped me.

Posted By: x893
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 2:44am
" rel="nofollow - Hi,
i upgrade to version 1.50 and all works fine. After upgrade to version 1.60 computer not start (display black) and no any reaction for F2/DEL. How can i back to 1.50 BIOS ?

Thanks

P.S. May be ASROCK can helps ?

Posted By: jmoondog
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 3:28am
I have the same problem I have used 3 different power supply, that all work on other systems, 2 different rams (2 different sets of 4g 1066) I have used one stick and both stick in either slot. Tried running through the vga slot or the hdmi slot. I have tried running with simple hookups and full hookups, sdd, and hdd drives, and even no hard drives. I cant even get a bios beep, just black screens. As far as I can tell there is no motherboard led. I even bought a second motherboard thinking the first one was doa, and the same situation there.
I was looking for a simple pop some memory in, and it would work setup. I know I am missing something simple but am at a loss.

Posted By: jmoondog
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 3:50am
think I found my problem I have been using 1066 ram not 1600 ram. I just noticed.. grr will get back if that is it.

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 3:54am
Hi,
i resolve this issue with next steps:
1. order IS25WP064A-JBLE
2. make simple voltage shifter from 3.3V to 1.8V
3. program previous flash image
4. desoldering onboard flash and soldering new flash.

Good luck

Posted By: skipx
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 4:59pm
I bought two J3455-ITX boards. Both started out with problems. One just came back from repair and one has been send to repair. Maybe production problems? Hopefully the repaired one doesn't get in problems again..

Posted By: ziglog
Date Posted: 22 May 2021 at 12:43pm
I have a same problem with the same motherboard, how did you solve this problem at the end?

Date Posted: 22 May 2021 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by ziglog ziglog wrote:

@sndlnk
I have a same problem with the same motherboard, i bought it 3 years ago and i didn't put out it from its box, so i didn't check it until now, because, from 1994, , i set up over 100 times, the desktop computers; i hasn't been coincided with an insoluble problem with the motherboards until now . How did you solve this problem at the end?

Date Posted: 22 May 2021 at 1:30pm
@sndlnk
I have a same problem with the same motherboard, i bought it 3 years ago and i didn't put out it from its box, so i didn't check it until now, because, from 1994, i set up over 100 times, the desktop computers; i hasn't been coincided an insoluble motherboards problem like this, until now . How did you solve this problem at the end?

Date Posted: 30 May 2021 at 2:52am
Hi,
i resolve this issue with next steps:
1. order IS25WP064A-JBLE
2. make simple voltage shifter from 3.3V to 1.8V
3. program previous flash image
4. desoldering onboard flash and soldering new flash.

Good luck

Date Posted: 31 May 2021 at 9:49am
how i make simple voltage shifter from 3.3V to 1.8V?

Date Posted: 31 May 2021 at 9:51am
Originally posted by ziglog ziglog wrote:

i don't know how i make simple voltage shifter from 3.3V to 1.8V?

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net