Forum Description: Question about ASRock AMD motherboards
URL: https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4062
Printed Date: 17 May 2024 at 1:09pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 990fx Extreme9 and AMD Fx 9590 UNSTABLE
Posted By: golden333
Subject: 990fx Extreme9 and AMD Fx 9590 UNSTABLE
Date Posted: 20 Dec 2016 at 5:18am
Hello ! I've been having this problem for some time now and i can;t determine where the problem is coming from.I've deferred from  posting in a forum because i thought i could resolve the problem on my own.I have a FX 9590 and a Asrock 990fx extreme 9 and i can;t get it stable with defaut bios setup.I disable turbo core,underclocked the cpu,even disabled 2 cores and still i get a crash.Tested the ram, tested the video card no problems found, tested the processor with prime95 for 1 hour stable,started a game,after 5 min i got a crash.
   Flashed the bios to v1.80 it was stable for 2 days,afterwards started crashing again for no apparent reason.I litteraly have no ideea what the problem is thus i came here searching for help.

My system is as follows.
Cpu- Amd Fx9590
Mobo-Asrock 990fx extreme9
Ram-Kingston HyperXbeast 1600Mhz 16Gb
PSU-Cooler Master 850 M2
Cooler-Nzxt X61 Kraken
Os-Windows 10

Any ideeas would be much apreciated.Writing all of this now..hoping it would't crash !

Replies:
Posted By: Xaltar
Date Posted: 20 Dec 2016 at 5:42am
" rel="nofollow - I see you are using an AIO water cooler, what kind of cooling do you have over your VRM heatsinks? A lot of people miss the * comment in the manual about using a top down blowing air cooler on 125w and above CPUs to assist in keeping them cool.

I also don't see a graphics card listed in your specs. Some GPUs don't like some motherboards, like my Gigabyte GTX 960 G1 gaming does not like my E3V5 Performance/Hyper board at all, it frequently gives me "driver crashed and recovered" errors and sometimes freezes completely. I have changed my GTX 960 into a different system now and it works fine there.

I guess my point is, there can be a lot of different causes for crashes/freezing. Unless you have a fan blowing directly onto the heatsinks around your CPU though, I would guess that is most likely your problem.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Dec 2016 at 5:53am
sorry i forgot to mention that ! i have a 120 mm fan wiht 1800 rpm blowing over the vrm, the video card is a Saphire R9 390 Nitro. Now that you mention the problem you;ve been having with your video card,i've been havin the same problem myself with the 390. Video drivers keep crashing and restoring themselves,but only during movies and while browsing. Not while gaming.Curios thing is,it only stared this september,the driver crash,but the mobo and processor problems started since i bought the card in april.Back then i disabled turbo core,turned llc to 100% set the vcore to 1.4875 and had no problems untill a month ago.

oh and thank you for the reply!

P.S. And i monitored the temps, thy are all good,proc temps don;t go over 45 in full load, vrm no more then 68!

Date Posted: 20 Dec 2016 at 6:59am
Check your windows system event logs for errors, if you see a lot of "driver failed and recovered" (also called TDRs) then you may have an issue with your GPU or power supply (not providing enough power to the GPU anymore). I would start by using DDU to completely remove your display drivers then install the last stable version you used. If that does not sort out the issue then maybe try another PSU. They have a nasty habit of dying slowly....

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Dec 2016 at 7:21am
" rel="nofollow - i did uninstall the drivers,not once but many times over and over still had the same issue,but only in windows 10.Just checked the event log it says Source: Kernel-Power  Event ID:41.
i didn;t give many details about the crash, The screen simply goes black and CRRRBRR noises from the speakers :D.

My PSU is still has warranty,can i just send it back to them like this ?!

P.S. Scratch the PSU Theory ! just ran Prime95 max power consumption and unigine at the same time,no errors. Before i did this, i pressed a little on the video card power connectors,and swaped the 8xpin cpu power with the second one.For now there is stability!I will run a few more tests and post again about the results! 

It can;t be that simple can it ?

Posted By: wardog
Date Posted: 20 Dec 2016 at 9:00am
" rel="nofollow - 41 is due to an unexpected shutdown.

Are you overclocking? If so, as a test reset the BIOS to UEFI Defaults, Save and Exit, then see if this continues. It could be a component has finally had too much voltage fed it and is beginning to fail.

Otherwise borrow or get another "capable' and known good PSU in there to test with.

""My PSU is still has warranty,can i just send it back to them like this ?!""

Isn't that what Warranties are for?

Date Posted: 20 Dec 2016 at 9:41am
the PSU is not broken,i'm afraid if i send them the psu like this they will just send it back to me the same way...with a lot of time wasted and money on transportation fees.Like i said in my previous post,the psu theory is busted!And no,no overclock,default bios settings,even underclocked the cpu and still got crashes.For the past 2 hours no crashes yet,seems stable.Maybe it really was the damned cables.Will get back with a few updates later.

Posted By: wardog
Date Posted: 20 Dec 2016 at 12:41pm
Ok. Well, I just tried to offer up my experiences. Good luck then with it.

Date Posted: 20 Dec 2016 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by golden333 golden333 wrote:

It can't be that simple can it ?

You would be surprised how often it turns out to be simple, usually after you have gone through weeks of headaches and troubleshooting LOL

I was also going to suggest reseating the RAM and GPU making sure the slots are clear of dust and debris Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Dec 2016 at 11:01pm
 So,it's stable! Played for 2 hours,no crash,before this every 5-30 min it would crash.So i guess it was the cable at fault.Wich one i do not want to test :D,either the cpu cables or the Video card cables.Maybe this post will help someone else so they won;t have to go through the brain grinding hope breaking process of not knowing what the problem is. 

So if anyone encounters a similar problem and they can;t figure out what's causing it,check the cables,they can become a little dislodged and not form a good connection.and whenever your pc demands a little more power,crashes like this may occur.The crash is the UEFI's way of protecting your pc!

Thank you guys for helping me out,coming here gave me some hope :) and made me look on things from outside the box!!

Date Posted: 20 Dec 2016 at 11:10pm
Glad to hear it, come back any time Wink

-------------

Posted By: WKjun
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2016 at 9:41am
" rel="nofollow - golden333, what do you mean by CPU and GPU cables? Just curious. :)

And were you able to reactivate all the default features like Turbo Core?

-------------
PC1: FX-9590@def|290 |16GB@2133|Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
PC2: FX-8320@4.5|290 |16GB@2133| "
PC3: FX-9590@def|280X|16GB@2133| "
PC4: FX-9370@def|280X|16GB@2133| "
PC5: FX-6300@4.6|7950|16GB@1866|990FX-UD3

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 4:04am
CPU cable: Atx 12v 2x4 are the cables that mainly supply power to the cpu via the motherboard
GPU calbe:6+2 power cable that mainly supplies power to the video card !I use 2x(6+2)

I was able to activate the default features before. What i thought to be a cpu issue or a motherboard issue turned out to be a cable problem.Neither the Cpu,the motherboard,the video card nor the psu have any problems,only exception being the damned cables...i guess moving my pc around twice a month took it's toll on the cables.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net