Forum Description: Question about ASRock Intel Motherboards
URL: https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4089
Printed Date: 24 Apr 2024 at 7:12pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: X99 (Taichi) - only seeing 48 of 64GB installed
Posted By: mrmattk
Subject: X99 (Taichi) - only seeing 48 of 64GB installed
Date Posted: 26 Dec 2016 at 3:07am
" rel="nofollow - Merry Christmas!  I'm putting together my new computer today.  I have an X99 Taichi motherboard with an i7-6800K processor and the Kingston Technology HyperX Predator Black 64GB Kit at 3000 Mhz.  The memory (kit is HX430C15PB3K4/64) is on the QVL.

I have the 4 DIMMs in slots A1 B1 C1 D1. 

In the UEFI bios, only the first 3 are showing up (and I'm only getting 48GB RAM).  I've swapped DIMMs around (A1 swapped with D1, C1 swapped with D1) and I get the same result.

However, in the bios there's a System Browser (under Tools, lower right hand portion of the screen) and there, it appears to see a DIMM in the D1 slot.  So maybe it's not the slot?

I tried to do A2 B2 C2 D2 - no luck in even getting through POST.

Any ideas?  Thanks so much for your help.

Other hardware if it's helpful: Blu-ray player, EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition video card, Toshiba OCZ RD400 512GB NVMe m.2 storage (also on the QVL list)

Replies:
Posted By: wardog
Date Posted: 26 Dec 2016 at 10:22am
First up, these are the memory configurations for X99's:

Secondly, if you haven't yet already flashed the BIOS to P1.40 you should. But first look at the lower middle edge of the board and you'll see two stickers covering the BIOS chips. On the stickers is the BIOS is printed the BIOS rev that it was flashed while during production.

Too, you can look at the opening page after entering the BIOS and the current revision will be displayed there too.

Use Instant Flash from within the Tools tab of the BIOS to upflash. It's IMO the safest method of doing so.

X99's are very finicky concerning memory.

Too, concerning these are sticks listed on ASRocks own Memory QVL, consider mem manufacturers regularly change DRAM chips on sticks/Kits that may match the primary timings yet completely hose secondary and tertiary timings from one binned chip to another even while keeping the same part number.

Unfortunately Kingston doesn't yet list the Taichi in their compatibility tool. Yet I do see the HX430C15PB3K4/64 kit listed, that I looked at, for the X99's they do list. That's a good start.

I'd say get your BIOS to P1.40, Reset to UEFI Defaults twice, power down, use ONLY two sticks in the proper slots, let it boot to their JEDEC 2133 speed, shut down and install the remaining two sticks and give it a whirl.

Please, post back your results if you would.

Date Posted: 26 Dec 2016 at 11:50pm
Hi Wardog, thanks so much for the reply.

I'd say get your BIOS to P1.40 - Check, it came with P1.40 and I've also downloaded the P1.40 BIOS and tried to re-flash (as well as used their online tool in the BIOS to double check the version I have!)

Reset to UEFI Defaults twice - Check

power down - Check

use ONLY two sticks in the proper slots - Check. Installed B1 and D1. D1 is still not showing up.

Here are photos from the BIOS. You'll see the memory doesn't show up in the first (home screen of the BIOS) but does in the second (System Browser in the BIOS)

http://imgur.com/vMmF3s0 (pic didn't show up in previews)

http://imgur.com/vF8iNsz   (ditto)

Kinda stuck there before going onto the next steps in your advice!

let it boot to their JEDEC 2133 speed
shut down and install the remaining two sticks and give it a whirl

Should I replace memory? Motherboard?

I have to think it's not the memory since I can shuffle them around and they show up on the motherboard. It really seems to be the D1 slot. (ugh, what a pain in the ass to swap out the motherboard!)

Date Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 12:43am
" rel="nofollow - No. Here I'd say pull the CPU and look closely in the CPU socket for misplaced pin(s). Use a magnifying glass as the amplify any possible irregularities.

Also, the CPU cooler isn't/didn't get tightened to firmly did it?

Date Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 12:46am
" rel="nofollow - And depending on any overhang of the cooler, you sure it isn't simply a matter of the D1 mem not being firmly and fully seated in its slot?

Date Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 12:49am
Odd D1 shows highlighted in Red in that System Browser pic.

IIRC it should show as Yellow like the other one.

Lemme as parsec here. He has an X99.

Date Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 6:14am
" rel="nofollow -
Here I'd say pull the CPU and look closely in the CPU socket for misplaced pin(s). Use a magnifying glass as the amplify any possible irregularities.
Don't see anything. Hard to see, but I took some photos with my phone and zoomed into an impolite level. :-)

the CPU cooler isn't/didn't get tightened to firmly did it?
I don't think so, I read somewhere else that that was a problem for some folks, so I dialed back on the cooler screws just-in-case.

And depending on any overhang of the cooler, you sure it isn't simply a matter of the D1 mem not being firmly and fully seated in its slot?
not a huge overhang from the cooler - it's a Corsair H60 - the heat sink is relatively compact. I've pulled the DIMM and inspected the slot, there doesn't appear to be anything stuck in there... and the DIMM seats in well. Well enough that the System Browser is picking it up.

Odd D1 shows highlighted in Red in that System Browser pic. IIRC it should show as Yellow like the other one.
the D1 is highlighted in red because the mouse is hovering over it. When you hover over it, the details show up, so I was confirming that it was picking up the right memory. They all match.

Posted By: parsec
Date Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 10:32am
I discovered something about this model of memory that I will discuss later, but first...

Have you run the memory at stock/Auto speed, which is 2400? If not, or if you have and are trying to use it at 3000, you need to get all of it running at its stock speed, 2400. You need to see if the CPU/memory controller, memory, and board together as a system can work with your memory at its stock speed. If it can't then something is not right and you'll need to diagnose it from there. If all your memory works fine at it stock 2400 speed, then you can move on from there to a higher memory speed.

FYI, all X99 HEDT processors like yours have their memory controller, which is part of the CPU itself, rated up to a speed of 2400. Speeds above 2400 are a memory over clock, and at best may need some work to achieve, and at worst may never be reached.

That means put all four DIMMs in the '1' slots only, A1, B1, C1, and D1. Be sure to use those slots, which are the closest ones to the CPU socket, in each of the four channels.

Then clear the UEFI/BIOS, which you can easily do using the CLR CMOS button on the board's IO panel. You must have the PSU off and unplugged from AC power when you use the CLR CMOS button. DO NOT skip clearing the UEFI/BIOS step, you MUST do this if you are serious about solving the problem.

When you clear the UEFI/BIOS, all the options will be reset to their default values. We want that for the memory, but if you have any other necessary settings, like RAID for the SATA mode (if you use it), you'll need to reset those again. That's normal after clearing the UEFI/BIOS.

It looks like from you pictures that you are using the EZ Mode of the UEFI/BIOS. You need to use the Advanced screens, so do that. There is more than one reason for this.

I want you to set an option only available in the Advanced UEFI screens, the DRAM Configuration screen, found in the OC Tweaker screen. In the DRAM Configuration screen, way down at the bottom (scroll down) find the MRC Fast Boot option. Set it to Disabled.

Below that option, find the Memory Test option, and set it to Enabled. Setting these two options will cause what is called "Memory Training" to occur, which helps when using large amounts of memory as you are.

You should also check the DRAM Voltage option, in the OC Tweaker, Voltage Configuration screen. That should be set to at least 1.2V, when the memory is at 2400 speed.

Question for you, have you installed Windows yet on this PC? Or are you simply using the UEFI/BIOS to look at the memory, etc?

As I alluded to at the beginning of my post, a review of this memory I found noted that when setting it to a speed of 3000 with the XMP2 profile, the XMP2 profile sets the BCLK to 125MHz, from the standard 100MHz. That change of the BCLK speed also affects the CPU speed, and causes a CPU over clock. For the standard 3.4GHz base speed of your CPU, that BCLK speed results in a CPU speed of 4.250GHz, and standard Turbo speed of 4.5GHz. That will happen when using one DIMM, or all four at the XMP2 speed of 3000.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/kingston-hyperx-predator-ddr4-3000-64-gib-memory-kit-review/4/" rel="nofollow - http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/kingston-hyperx-predator-ddr4-3000-64-gib-memory-kit-review/4/

Which is why I'm wondering if you actually can run Windows at a CPU OC of that speed. Or was the review done with an earlier version of your memory, which no longer sets the BCLK to 125MHz. You need to verify if that happens or not. The BCLK frequency will be shown in the main OC Tweaker screen, and in the DRAM Configuration screen.

I've noticed when using the System Browser tool, it can take a while before all the memory is detected after the tool is started. You may even see "Detecting" when you hover the mouse pointer over the memory slots. Yes, a DIMM will appear in red when the mouse pointer is over that DIMM, that is not abnormal.

-------------
http://valid.x86.fr/48rujh" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 11:39am
" rel="nofollow - hi parsec, thanks for your reply. So crazy, just doing the BIOS reset via the button on the I/O panel did it... apparently resetting the BIOS in the BIOS wasn't enough.

I haven't done anything else - just let it boot into Windows and confirmed that I have 64GB RAM.

So the memory is running at stock 2400. Should I try to get 3000 out of it? LMK if there are things you want to see if I do that. I may fool around with the XMP profiles and the memory test tomorrow morning (I'm on the east coast and ready for bed)

I do have windows installed - everything was working with 48GB of RAM (except that last 16GB).

Thanks a ton to you and wardog for being so generous with your time and expertise.

Best,

Matt

Date Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 11:40pm
" rel="nofollow -

Went to a completely vanilla BIOS (fresh off the "plug out, CMOS clear button pressed") and set those two advanced memory settings suggested by parsec (MRC fast boot disabled, memory test enabled).

It's super unstable. Freezes up in windows with no stress on the machine.

I ran memtest86 and it froze up. Next boot, only 48GB. Did the complete CMOS reset, still only 48GB.

So I assume this indicates either the RAM of the D1 DIMM slot are bad. Still don't know how to get to the bottom of it.

Is there a better set of RAM I should buy? If I don't care about overclocking but want 64GB and a stable machine, what would you buy?

Date Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 12:21am
Originally posted by mrmattk mrmattk wrote:

" rel="nofollow -

Went to a completely vanilla BIOS (fresh off the "plug out, CMOS clear button pressed") and set those two advanced memory settings suggested by parsec (MRC fast boot disabled, memory test enabled).

It's super unstable. Freezes up in windows with no stress on the machine.

I ran memtest86 and it froze up. Next boot, only 48GB. Did the complete CMOS reset, still only 48GB.

So I assume this indicates either the RAM of the D1 DIMM slot are bad. Still don't know how to get to the bottom of it.

Is there a better set of RAM I should buy? If I don't care about overclocking but want 64GB and a stable machine, what would you buy?

You lost me here. Did all this happen after trying to run the memory at 3000? Using the XMP profile?

Or was still at 2400? That is not clear to me at all.

So it went from working fine at 2400, with all 64GB recognized, back to 48GB and instability? That happened after you disabled MRC Fast Boot and enabled Memory Test?

What was the difference between the completely vanilla BIOS, and setting those two memory options, that only have an affect during POST, in contrast to what you were using before that with the BIOS settings?

Plus I thought it was the D4 slot that was being stubborn, not the D1 slot.

Please, you must be completely specific about what happened. Confused

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 12:43am
It's always been the D1 slot. the slots are A1 B1 C1 D1 and A2 B2 C2 D2. I'm populating A1 through D1. D1 intermittently recognizes the memory. Always sees it in System browser, but only intermittently shows up in the BIOS and is recognized as memory. Voltage defaults to 1.2V when in DDR2400 model.

It seems I get one boot right after CMOS reset where all 4 DIMMs show up, then a crash / freeze and on reboot only A1 through C1 show up as memory.

Even if I shuffle the memory into different slots, same pattern of events.

------------------------------------------------

Here are the order of events from last night:

Last night I reset the CMOS. Went into BIOS, turned off MRC Fast Boot, Turned on Memory test.

All 64GB showed up in BIOS and Windows. (I declared victory!)

I then rebooted to BIOS, set the memory to the first XMP profile (DDR3000). Wouldn't boot.

Reset CMOS again. Set 2 memory settings in BIOS. So back to DDR2400. All 64GB shows up.

Booted from USB and ran memtestx86 on 64GB of RAM. Froze.

Rebooted. Booted from USB and ran memtestx86 again - but only on 48GB of RAM.

Date Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 2:13am
Here's what I've decided to do...

1. I've ordered new RAM (Kingston Technology HyperX FURY Black 64 GB Kit CL15 DIMM DDR4 2400 MT/s Internal Memory (HX424C15FBK4/64))

2. I've ordered a new motherboard that's compatible with the memory and the M.2 storage I bought. It's not an ASRock motherboard this time.

3. I set up a return for the Taichi and the original Kingston memory. I don't have to send it until Feb 1st.

I'll test the new memory on the Taichi motherboard and see how it works. If it works, I'll send back the original memory. If it doesn't work, I'll try the new motherboard.

I'll report back with results.

Happy to try other solutions if you think of them in the meantime - new mobo and memory won't arrive for 2 days.

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 9:20am
New memory arrived today. I plugged it into the Taichi and it still only recognized 48 of 64 GB. I've decided to return the motherboard and replace it with an MSI X99A Tomahawk which has worked out of the box.

I'll assume it was a defect with my motherboard and not all Taichi motherboards.

For the record, I tried to send in for technical support through the ASRock website and I never had a reply.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate that time that other users have put into the community here.

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 2:47pm
Ok, we understand and can't blame you.

Sorry to hear you never heard from ASRock support.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net