Forum Description: Question about ASRock Intel Motherboards
URL: https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4270
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 11:50am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: onboard HDMI not working
Posted By: kelly
Subject: onboard HDMI not working
Date Posted: 22 Jan 2017 at 11:05am
" rel="nofollow - look like this is known issue, but I not found clear answer for this.
system is:
ASRock Micro ATX DDR4 H170M PRO4                                                                               
Samsung 960 EVO Series - 250GB PCIe NVMe - M.2
i7-6700
Team Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4

with HDMI cable monitor not got any signals . write - no connection. when I connect via D-sub - video working. (this monitor perfect working with this HDMI cable with other systems ) - are this can be fixed ? in what problem ? my previous system (also asrock b85m + i7-4771 perfect working with onboard HDMI)

also (separate question) are M.2 must working with ultra fast boot ? when I select ultra fast boot system not view M.2 drive at all and boot to bios. but with normal and fast boot - PCIe NVMe - M.2 working as boot drive without problems

Replies:
Posted By: wardog
Date Posted: 22 Jan 2017 at 11:50am
" rel="nofollow - Is the BIOS flashed to the latest revision?

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H170M%20Pro4/?cat=Download&os=BIOS

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2017 at 7:05pm
I initially have P7.00 bios version. I update it to latest P7.10 - after this one time system booted normal. when I reboot and set ULTRA FAST boot - system again boot to BIOS and not view disk in M.2 slot. I return to normal boot and reboot. after this is all. system not boot and even not enter to BIOS. F2 or DEL not working. I view AsRock logotip (with D-Sub) and text press F2 or Del.. and all. system not enter bios and nothing. only ctrl+alt+del worked of power off

Posted By: parsec
Date Posted: 22 Jan 2017 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by kelly kelly wrote:

I initially have P7.00 bios version. I update it to latest P7.10 - after this one time system booted normal. when I reboot and set ULTRA FAST boot - system again boot to BIOS and not view disk in M.2 slot. I return no normal boot and reboot. after this is all. system not boot and even not enter to BIOS. F2 or DEL not working. I view AsRock logotip (with D-Sub) and text press F2 or Del.. and all. system not enter bios and nothing. only ctrl+alt+del worked of power off

The Ultra Fast boot setting will only work if the CSM option is set to Disabled. The Help text shown in the UEFI/BIOS for the Fast Boot option should say that.

But you must have installed Windows with CSM set to Disabled, which causes the OS drive to be formatted differently, as GPT instead of MBR. You cannot set CSM to Disabled after installing Windows with CSM enabled.

That is why the PC starts into the UEFI/BIOS, it detects you set Fast Boot to Ultra Fast, but the CSM option is Enabled. You need to set the Fast Boot option to Fast or Disabled.

I don't understand what you did when you said "I return...", but it is normal for the M.2 SSD to not be seen as the OS drive, when Fast Boot and CSM are not set correctly with your OS installation and CSM setting.

-------------
http://valid.x86.fr/48rujh" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2017 at 9:54pm
"I return no normal boot and reboot" - mistake need read - `I return TO normal boot option and reboot` i am not sure are CSM disabled or enabled - I not change this from default settings. but now I can not enter to BIOS at all. so look like motherboard permanently damaged. and HDMI output still not worked

so all this even not related to OS install. however I install windows 10 x64 (1607) on this new build and to old (B85M-HDS, i7-4771, Samsung 850 pro SSD) system from same USB flash. with absolute the same install options. after install on B85M-HDS I set ultra fast boot in bios (csm I not touch) - and all work great. system full boot in 3 second, HDMI worked.. but with H170M Pro4 - when I set ultra fast boot - in BIOS system NOT VIEW Samsung 960 EVO in M.2 slot - look like it "not present" - so how it formatted at all not related - device not visible. return to normal or fast boot - Samsung 960 EVO in M.2 slot become visible and system loaded normal.

but after I update to P7.10 bios version (with utility from site) - system boot once. and after reboot - I can not ENTER to bios. system (BIOS/UEFI) HANG at boot screen with AsRosk logotip and text (press keys for..) - keys not worked. ctrl+alt+del - worked - reboot and hang at same point

Posted By: Xaltar
Date Posted: 22 Jan 2017 at 11:20pm
Try Clearing CMOS, if that does not resolve the issue post back.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2017 at 11:37pm
i already do this by using Clear CMOS Jumpers (to 2-3 position) of course after unplug the power cord (near 1 minute) - not helped. then i remove CMOS battery on several mins - again no any effect. nothing changed. look like motherboard already trash, in no ways enter to BIOS more.

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2017 at 11:55pm
Try disconnecting everything from the board other than power, RAM and CPU and see if you can enter the UEFI. All you want connected is the keyboard, mouse and display with regards to peripherals. No SATA cables, drives or any other devices should be connected internally. This will isolate any potential problems to the Motherboard, RAM and PSU.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Jan 2017 at 12:11am
" rel="nofollow - all what i have connected to motherboard - i7-6700, 2x8 GB memory (in a2-b2 slots) and NVMe samsung 960 EVO (256 mb) in M.2 slot, no additional SATA, no graphic cards - i always prefer use processor integrated graphic. so remove M.2 drive and try reboot without it ?

Date Posted: 23 Jan 2017 at 12:28am
Yes, just to rule out other components. The last thing you want is to RMA a part and have it turn out to be the wrong one.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2017 at 8:34am
all problem was in http://www.samsung.com/us/computing/memory-storage/solid-state-drives/ssd-960-evo-m-2-250gb-mz-v6e250bw/" rel="nofollow - SAMSUNG 960 EVO NVMe M.2 - when it inserted in M.2 slot - HDMI not working (only D-Sub) I test this SSD on another motherboard - https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B250M-PRO-VH.html#productFeature-section" rel="nofollow - MSI B250M PRO-VH but here both VGA and HDMI not worked, when M.2 inserted. without it work (this with latest bios and set use IGD video). so look like with http://www.samsung.com/us/computing/memory-storage/solid-state-drives/ssd-960-evo-m-2-250gb-mz-v6e250bw/" rel="nofollow - SAMSUNG 960 EVO NVMe M.2 partially or fully GPU initialize fail. are this is motherboards or SSD issue ? this can be fixed ?

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2017 at 11:17am
" rel="nofollow - kelly, that doesn't make sense. It should not be doing that.

Are you installing the M.2 standoff into the motherboards correct location before using the screw to fasten/secure the card/drive? This standoff MUST be used.

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2017 at 4:28pm
" rel="nofollow - yes, motherboard (both) have only one Ultra M.2 slot and physically impossible install SSD incorrect (wrong orientation, etc). for summarize:

1) i install SSD to H170M?PRO4 (bios version 7.00 from the box) and connect monitor with HDMI cable - got black screen and no signal for monitor
2) i replace HDMI to D-SUB (VGA) cable (nothing touch more) - and all begin work
3) i successfully install windows 10 (x64 1607) on this SSD (no other hard drives) - all ok (and this prove that SSD correct physically installed in M.2 slot). reboot several time - ok. (UEFI install)
4) i set Ultra Fast Boot in bios - after this system not load - in bios i not view SSD - M.2 slot shown as "empty"
5) i return to normal/Fast Boot - system (windows) loaded ok
6) i download latest 7.10 bios version for update bios under Windows® - run exe from Windows
7) after update i verify that bios version become 7.10 and system (windows) ONCE booted ok.
8) after reboot - i can not boot more, even can not enter BIOS - system hung at Asrock splash screen
9) clear CMOS not help
10) only remove SSD from M.2 helped. install again hung.
11) after all this insert this SSD for test in MSI B250M PRO-VH motherboard (bios 1.0 from the box)
12) no video signal at all - by HDMI and by D-Sub here. system off when press power button
13) on this motherboard exist debug leds - and it show that GPU init fail (in both case i use IGD - from i7)
14) without SSD in M.2 video signal work ok. install M.2 back - again GPU fail led fire and black screen
15) remove SSD and update bios to latest 1.2 version with flash. bios updated successfully
16) after insert SSD again to M.2 - again GPU init fail. but now power button already not worked - only unplug the power-cord help off

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2017 at 11:55pm
" rel="nofollow -
Originally posted by kelly kelly wrote:

yes, motherboard (both) have only one Ultra M.2 slot and physically impossible install SSD incorrect (wrong orientation, etc).

But you are using the included M.2 standoff that is FIRST screwed into the motherboard that the M.2 drive is then, and only then, screwed/fastened to the standoff. Not directly to the motherboard?

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2017 at 1:09am
yes, do exactly this.

i think that not only i have this issue - for example https://www.newegg.com/Product/SingleProductReview.aspx%3FReviewID=4839485" rel="nofollow - this - also no video (and here no D-Sub port)

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2017 at 1:54am
" rel="nofollow - So the system won't post at all on with the drive installed on the MSI board? If this is the case then the issue is likely coming from the drive rather than the board itself, it sounds like it is hogging resources typically assigned to the iGPU. I am not sure but a BIOS fix may help, that or a firmware update for the drive itself. I would contact Samsung (if you haven't already) and ASRock Tech support directly and inquire. This is a very curious issue. Maybe Samsung assumed anyone using it's pro series M.2 drives would be using a dedicated GPU and failed to properly test on iGPUs? Whatever the case, I am sure there is a solution. 

ASRock Tech Support:
http://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2017 at 2:25am
" rel="nofollow -
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

So the system won't post at all on with the drive installed on the MSI board?
may be and POST but i can not view this (no video). i update bios on both motherboard to latest version, but after update became only worse. with MSI AMI BIOS v1.0 - system just shutdown when i press power button. with v1.2 - press power button - no reaction - need power -block off.
with Ascrock H170M Pro4  v7.00 bios - HDMI and ultra fast boot not worked, but via D-Sub ok, and i even install win 10. but after update bios to v7.10 - hung at POST - view Asrock logo and info about which button press to.. all. can not enter BIOS or continue boot.
agree now think root of problem in EVO 960. but this is specific bad item, and another  EVO 960 can work well. or until motherboard at all not fully support this EVO 960 and need look for other models.

I would like to clearly understand the situation and not to buy expensive items on guess again (suddenly will not work again)

and yes, i never use external graphics cards in own builds but always Processor Graphics. for me important fast disk and power processor, but graphics not important. this not for gaming and processor onboard graphics more than enough for me

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net