Forum Description: Question about ASRock Intel Motherboards
URL: https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4473
Printed Date: 09 May 2024 at 2:58pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Z270 Supercarrier 09/d0, can't go to backup BIOS
Posted By: kartik_subbarao
Subject: Z270 Supercarrier 09/d0, can't go to backup BIOS
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 12:25am
" rel="nofollow - I have a Z270 Supercarrier and used the Internet Flash utility in UEFI setup to upgrade the BIOS from 1.10 to 1.11. The upgrade process completed successfully and no errors were reported. However, when the computer rebooted with the new BIOS, it just hung with a blackscreen. I have rebooted the system over 20 times, with the same result. The boot process runs for about 15 seconds, the Dr. Debug LED settles on 09 or d0, and remains in that hung state.

According to the manual, "after several failed boot attempts, the backup BIOS will take over" -- but this doesn't seem to be happening. It still boots from the active BIOS (BIOS_A_LED is on). I also tried unplugging the computer and depressing the clear CMOS button for over 10 seconds, but that didn't seem to have any affect.

Is there any way that I can force a switch to BIOS B, or alternatively, downgrade BIOS A back to 1.10? The motherboard was working fine with 1.10 before I upgraded it to 1.11.

Replies:
Posted By: ultimateinternet
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 8:57am
Yes.  This.

+1

Replace supercarrier with taichi and bios with 1.30 --> 1.33

09/d0 can't get to backup bios.

reboot, clear cmos, etc.

just what kartik_subbarao said: switch bios B, downgrade A or restore to A from B, HELP!

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 9:27am
SOLUTION:

BIOS_TEST1 jumper on the board next to the DR DEBUG.

short it out.  boot up computer.  biosB-->biosA

BINGO.

Good luck my friend.

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 10:50am
" rel="nofollow -
Originally posted by ultimateinternet ultimateinternet wrote:

SOLUTION:

BIOS_TEST1 jumper on the board next to the DR DEBUG.

short it out.  boot up computer.  biosB-->biosA

BINGO.

Good luck my friend.

Glad to hear that that worked for you! I'm trying to sort out exactly which pins to short out, and whether to do so vertically or horizontally, since this stuff isn't documented in the manual. Next to Dr. Debug on my motherboard, I see a set of 5 jumpers which seem to be labeled as follows:

BIOS_A_LED1  J1  LED019  D_BIOS_TEST1
BIOS_B_LED1

The jumper panel is clearly visible in this image (with the top pin absent from the central "J1" jumper, assuming vertical orientation?):

http://www.asrock.com/mb/photo/Z270%20SuperCarrier%28L2%29.png" rel="nofollow - http://www.asrock.com/mb/photo/Z270%20SuperCarrier(L2).png

I'm guessing that D_BIOS_TEST1 (the rightmost jumper assuming vertical orientation), is what corresponds to BIOS_TEST1 on your motherboard. I have a call out to ASRock on this, hopefully I'll hear back from them soon.

Posted By: parsec
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 11:33am
Sorry guys, I've looked into this as much as I can, and I can't tell you anymore than you have already discovered.

The full User Manual does not show the header you are discussing at all in the Mother board Layout section, where it should be, or in the Onboard Headers and Connectors section.

I don't have this board myself, to try to figure it out.

I apologize for this, I'll try to learn something and get back to you.

-------------
http://valid.x86.fr/48rujh" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 11:47am
Originally posted by kartik_subbarao kartik_subbarao wrote:

I have a call out to ASRock on this, hopefully I'll hear back from them soon.

hint: go to newegg.com.  find the board.  "chat with asrock"

ask them they are incredibly asrock knowledgeable.

GOod luck!

(thats where I found the BIOS_TEST1 jumper solution)

[from asrock via newegg earlier]
If you have question in the future, please contact us at 909-590-8308 or link below

[Tech support request link]( http://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp" rel="nofollow - http://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp )

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 11:25pm
" rel="nofollow -

hint: go to newegg.com.  find the board.  "chat with asrock"

I typed "chat with asrock" in the search field on newegg.com but didn't get any relevant matches. How you did you find that link/board on their website?

It's interesting because I did manage to get that 909-590-8308 phone number yesterday in a more roundabout manner. But it'd be good to know for future reference if there is a direct "chat with asrock" capability on newegg.com.

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 2:22am
The tech support person from ASRock in California had me try several combinations of vertical and horizontal jumpering in that undocumented 5-jumper section, but unfortunately none of them switched the system to the B BIOS. He's going to put in a request with ASRock headquarters and see if he can get better information on this.

Posted By: Xaltar
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 2:45am
It would be great if you could post clear pic of the jumper block in question and the text printed under it. I see it on the product page images but it isn't legible.

The one you want is probably the one labled D_BIOS_TEST1. By the look of the pin cluster pin one is on the lower left corner. It looks like this cluster may be used internally during manufacture to configure and update the BIOS, I see the same pins on my Z270 Gaming K6 labled BIOS_PN (I think, it is hard to read without pulling my board out of the case). I would try shorting as follows with the PC power unplugged:

..  ..

Red, then try yellow then blue then pink then green

After that try power on the system.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 3:09am
Some progress -- I found the set of D_BIOS_TEST1 pins. It wasn't in that group of 5 jumpers, but located by itself to the right and above CHA_FAN3. The fan connector was obscuring it from my view before.

Now I'm able to boot into BIOS B, but I have another problem. It boots and quickly shuts down 1-2 times, then boots and does the Secure Backup UEFI B->A until the progress indicator reads 99%, then it shuts down, then boots and shuts down quickly again, then boots back into the secure UEFI backup and repeats this in a loop.

I've tried interrupting this loop by powering off the computer after the first or second reboot after the 99% done, and then removing the jumper. It switches back to BIOS A, but I get the same 09/d0 lockup with BIOS A again :-( It seems like the secure backup UEFI B->A didn't work.

Thinking about what other options might be possible.

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 3:33am
It sounds like you have gotten very unlucky. Try leaving it on with the jumper in place and see what happens. Don't interfere with the process, it may be an incremental backup. If after an hour or so it still won't proceed to completion then I would RMA the board. 

Sometimes it's best to RMA when a problem occurs so soon after purchase, at least you will know your replacement is not affected or damaged by the issue on the original board. 

We always recommend instant flash, it is much safer. Download the instant flash BIOS version from the product download page and follow the instructions to update. Windows based updates have a nasty habit of messing things up.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 5:40am
" rel="nofollow - here's my steps to recover my taichi z270:

1. short bios_b
2. boot computer
3. watch it B-->A
4. wait for it to shut off and before it turns back on, power cut
5. remove jumper
6. remove gpu
7. remove all mem except 1 stick closest to cpu
8. boot
9. jump into bios
10. reflash with older flash (1.30 in my case)
11. reboot
12. shutdown
13. insert all gpu and mem back in
14. cooking without d0/09 and 1.30 again.
15. sigh of relief

so when you visit this link https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16813157754 look under the share button.  thats where I found the chat with asrock button.  right now it isn't there.

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 8:35am
just fyi: chat with asrock is now there 1900EST.

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 10:46am
Good news! I removed all but one of my RAM cards and was able to boot up with BIOS A, which was on 1.11 (looks like the secure backup B->A didn't have any effect). I attached a FAT32 USB stick with the 1.10 BIOS file and used the UEFI Instant Flash tool to successfully downgrade BIOS A. I then added back my other RAM cards and successfully booted the system just like it was before. Problem solved, thanks for all of your suggestions!!

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 11:09am
Xaltar and others, this is the best picture I could find so far. If you left click on the image and select View image, and click on it again to zoom in, it helps somewhat:

Still hard to read the text below and to the left of the jumper pins, but we have this from an earlier post thanks to kartik_subbarao:

BIOS_A_LED1  J1  LED019  D_BIOS_TEST1
BIOS_B_LED1

I've never seen anything like this on any ASRock board, so can't comment on it yet. Confused

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 2:13pm

Good news! I removed all but one of my RAM cards and was able to boot up with BIOS A, which was on 1.11 (looks like the secure backup B->A didn't have any effect). I attached a FAT32 USB stick with the 1.10 BIOS file and used the UEFI Instant Flash tool to successfully downgrade BIOS A. I then added back my other RAM cards and successfully booted the system just like it was before. Problem solved, thanks for all of your suggestions!!

That is great news Thumbs Up

It sounds like the new BIOS version broke compatibility with your RAM, it would also explain why the backup failed, if the system detected memory errors it would not be able to properly complete and end up in a loop.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 2:16pm
Just to confirm, are these the jumper pads you needed to short to initiate the backup?

Highlighted in red.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 9:31pm
Yes -- precisely correct. The two pins highlighted in red are the ones that I jumpered to switch to BIOS B.

Looking at it more closely, J1 is printed in a slightly larger font than the LED labels. Perhaps J1 is referring to that entire bank of 5 jumpers. BIOS_A_LED1 and BIOS_B_LED1 may be nothing more than labels for the LEDs that are right above that area. LED019 may just be referring to another LED nearby. Which leaves D_BIOS_TEST1 referring to the two pins above CHA_FAN3.

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 10:07pm

just fyi: chat with asrock is now there 1900EST.

BTW -- I misinterpreted the phrase "find the board" from your prior post. I thought you were referring to a message board (e.g. discussion forum) of some sort. When I saw your next post, I realized what you meant was find the product page for the motherboard, then look for the "chat with asrock" button. I was then able to find it. This is a good feature, good to know about for future reference!

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 10:34pm
Awesome, thanks for clarifying. 

Enjoy your new system Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 11:25pm

Yes -- precisely correct. The two pins highlighted in red are the ones that I jumpered to switch to BIOS B.

Looking at it more closely, J1 is printed in a slightly larger font than the LED labels. Perhaps J1 is referring to that entire bank of 5 jumpers. BIOS_A_LED1 and BIOS_B_LED1 may be nothing more than labels for the LEDs that are right above that area. LED019 may just be referring to another LED nearby. Which leaves D_BIOS_TEST1 referring to the two pins above CHA_FAN3.

I found this on the Z270 Gaming K6 board, below the yellow sticker, does it look familiar?

We can also see a two pin jumper on the right side of the yellow sticker (covering the BIOS chips) which I assume must be the pins to switch to the backup UEFI/BIOS. I must point out that my Z270 Gaming K6 board is a pre-production model, so the two pin jumper seen above may not be found on the retail versions of this and other boards.

You simply shorted those two points on your board temporarily, to change to the backup UEFI/BIOS, correct? But later on you said that did not seem to work, so I'm confused about what happened.

When the ASRock Kaby Lake Intel 200 series chipset boards were released, they included a change in the way the dual BIOS system worked. That was apparently related to another situation with the BIOS chips on the new boards. In the past, ASRock used BIOS chips that were socketed DIP chips, that could be replaced by the user if necessary. That style of chips are no longer available from the BIOS chip manufactures. The Intel 200 series chipset boards now use surface mount BIOS chips, no longer in sockets.

On earlier ASRock dual BIOS chip boards, the main and backup BIOS chips worked like this, from an ASRock Z170 board manual:

This motherboard has two BIOS chips, a primary BIOS (BIOS_A) and a backup BIOS (BIOS_ B), which enhances the safety and stability of your system. Normally, the system will work on the primary BIOS. However, if the primary BIOS is corrupted or damaged, just flip the BIOS Selection Switch to B, then the backup BIOS will take over on the next system boot. Ater that, use Secure Backup UEFI in the UEFI Setup Utility to duplicate a working copy of the BIOS iles to the primary BIOS to ensure normal system operation. For safety issues, users are not able to update the backup BIOS manually. Users may refer to the BIOS LEDs (BIOS_A_LED or BIOS_B_LED) to identify which BIOS is currently activated.

This procedure has been changed on the Intel 200 series chipset boards, since we no longer have a dedicated switch to select the main and backup BIOS chips. This is the new description from the Z270 SuperCarrier manual:

This motherboard has two BIOS chips, an active BIOS (BIOS_A) and a backup BIOS (BIOS_B), which enhances the safety and stability of your system. Use Secure Backup UEFI to duplicate a working copy of the BIOS files to the active BIOS to ensure normal system operation. Normally, the system will work on the active BIOS. However if the active BIOS is corrupted or damaged, after several failed boot attempts, the backup BIOS will take over. For safety issues, users are not able to update the backup BIOS manually. Users may refer to the BIOS LEDs (BIOS_A_LED or BIOS_B_LED) to identify which BIOS is currently activated.

The UEFI/BIOS of the SuperCarrier should have the Secure Backup UEFI feature in the Tools screen. Given this description, why your board did not switch to the backup UEFI/BIOS chip automatically, I don't know. Possibly the number of failed POST/boot attempts was not enough, the Boot Failure Guard feature ASRock boards have set the number of attempts to three in the past.

As said in the description, it is not possible to update the backup UEFI/BIOS version.

The procedure described by UltimateInternet above seems to be similar to the original dual BIOS chip backup method, initiated manually by jumping pins on this header rather than with a switch.

Regardless, we still are pursuing a full official description of how this header works.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 12:24am
I can confirm that the jumper you mentioned is present on the retail board too Parsec. I am looking at it right now on my Z270 Gaming K6. 

I have to be honest, I am somewhat relieved to discover it exists. I didn't like the idea that the procedure had been fully automated in the event of a failure. Knowing this "manual override" option exists has put my mind at ease Smile 

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 11:50pm
I have read all the interest so in the pursuit of information, I have run the following test:

I have gskill trident 3200 8gb x 4

Taichi z270 + 7700k + titan x + 960 pro + 960 pro

ver 1.30 bios, everything great

--------------------
ok, here goes the testing.

upgrade to 1.33, debug codes.
bios b2a, bios update
remove jumper
debug codes

remove all ram but 1 + remove evga card
no debug codes
boot to win

add 1 ram back
no debug codes
boot to win

add 1 ram back (3 now)
debug codes

add 1 ram back (4 now)
debug codes

go back to 2 ram only (2 out, 2 in) + evga card
no debug codes
boot to win

remove all ram but 1 + remove evga card
bios b2a, updates
remove jumper
NO DEBUG CODES
CONFIRMED 1.30 (stock) bios back

------------
it seems that the memory is causing the bios to fail the "backup"

so interesting results, I know in no way scientific but there's more for the pile. :)

Date Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 1:03am
Awesome, many thanks for going through all that and sharing it with us Thumbs Up

I suspected that may be the issue, RAM corruption = bad flash.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net