Subject: X670e Steel Legend no post after BIOS 3.01
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2024 at 1:00am
Build:

X670e Steel Legend motherboard
7800X3D processor
7900GRE Steel Legend gpu
Corsair Titanium DDR5 6000 RAM
RogStrix 850w PSU

Built first PC in 15 years, all went well apart from RGB conflicts and issues. System has been stable and performing for months, and then this morning I had the bright idea to install latest BIOS, 3.01. All I really wanted to do was play some games on my day off, instead I?™ve been fighting with it all day ?¥´

Motherboard, RGB, and case fans power up just fine but doesn?™t make it to post, display goes to standby due to no signal. I?™ve done CMOS resets including battery in case it was xmp after the bios, removed ram sticks, replaced graphics card, removed graphics card and tried to post off the motherboard hdmi port. Nothing works.

On power up, everything fires up and the motherboard red lights are CPU light constantly on, and the RAM light flashes slowly 8 times, then does a half flash and nothing else happens. CPU light stays on, fans are on, lights are on, but no one is home ?«£

I can?™t get to another PC to try and get another older BIOS for nearly week. I?™ve even tried to reinstall this BIOS several times and it always appears to complete, but the system never gets to post when turned on.

Any help? Thanks ??

Replies:
Posted By: mrbill
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2024 at 6:38am
You can try setting memory training options in the thread below, but it didn?™t work for me. I?™m stuck on some very old firmware with the logofail security vulnerability with no help from ASRock either. Good luck.

https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=30954&title=solved-b650m-hdv-m2-bios-memory-stability-issues" rel="nofollow - https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=30954&title=solved-b650m-hdv-m2-bios-memory-stability-issues

-------------
ASRock X670E Steel Legend (ABA159EAF581)
AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
32GB (2x16GB) G.Skill F5-5200J4040A16GX2-RS5K
WD SN570 2TB
MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti
Win 11 Pro

Posted By: ShinisterAct
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2024 at 2:06am
Thanks MrBilll, unfortunately I can?™t set anything as I?™ve got no display or post.

I?™ve just got hold of a copy of the previous bios so I?™m just flashing it on now and hoping for good fortune ?”®

Posted By: M440
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2024 at 2:22pm
bios 1.30 or 1.28 is the last one with old memory training algorythms and prolly the last bios allowing you to boot into the bios with your motherboard+memory chip combo :/

my ddr5 xmp chip allows me to boot to bios at JEDEC 4800mhz where i can tune the memory training options and boot it at desired speeds like dercribed in the topic above

-------------
asrock b650m/hdv.m2, ryzen 7700x@85watt

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2024 at 4:40pm
Ok I tried the 2.1 BIOS and no effect.

ASRock told me to try different display cable without GPU installed else it?™s either CPU or Motherboard RMA - of course I bought from 2 different vendors to make my life hard.

I?™m going to get a copy of 1.28 or 1.30 BIOS and try that tonight and see if it can just get me in to the BIOS update. Anything displayed on the screen would be a success right now ??

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2024 at 6:11am
what is this memory exact part number?

Corsair Titanium DDR5 6000 RAM

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2024 at 7:30am
If the box was stable prior to the firmware upgrade, why would the current problem be the result of a bad CPU or motherboard? When I attempted to update the firmware, I booted into a black screen with no display like you   Left it like that for 15 minutes and nothing. Forced a reboot and kept hitting the delete key, despite no display, then got into bios and modified the training settings. Rebooted and it took a few minutes to train yet windows would crash forcing me back to LogoFail vulnerable 1.30 version. I doubt your CPU or MB is bad - just another glitched FW release from ASRock. In my case my memory is on the QVL along with the HD.

-------------
AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
WD SN570 2TB
Win 11 Pro

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2024 at 4:05am
Interesting?? And yes I?™m of the same thought, and I don?™t particularly want to go through sending both cpu/mobo to seperate vendors for testing.

I?™m not sure if I?™ll be able to force a reboot however. I can hard shut down and immediately power on, but my case doesn?™t have a reboot button ?¤£

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2024 at 6:48am
Corsair Dominator Titanium (White)(RGB) 2x16gb DDR5 6000.

Ran at 4800 (iirc) until I enabled xmp. No problem running at either 6000 or 6200 before this

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2024 at 6:50am
CMP32GX5M2B6000C30W

I misread the question, sorry

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2024 at 3:12am
https://ibb.co/pw6yMjG" rel="nofollow">

https://ibb.co/qn9cx0R" rel="nofollow">

https://ibb.co/YTJnNnX" rel="nofollow">

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2024 at 7:24pm
An update, but not a good one *sigh

ASRock said to send in for testing to vendor. I started the RMA process. Motherboard picked up and sent in for testing, wouldn?™t POST, deemed faulty. Replacement motherboard authorised. Good news I thought??

I just rebuilt the system, with only a change of cables for the AIO cooler for better control. Have double checked all connections, powered her up, and exactly the same fail to POST is happening.

The only positive so far is the cable change for the cooler has linked the RGB of the case lights and fans with the AIO so the rainbow vomit is perfectly synced and looks disgustingly perfect. That is of course apart from the ASRock 7900GRE steel legend that won?™t sync until I can boot up

Any thoughts on something I may have missed or if I?™m being stupid?

Am I sending back the CPU and hoping?

Thanks

Also, without any display I can?™t alter settings whatsoever. This is hardware which was working fine until a BIOS update and since then I haven?™t been able to post, even after RMA and using a new motherboard.

Posted By: killroy2963
Date Posted: 14 Jul 2024 at 2:17am
Originally posted by ShinisterAct ShinisterAct wrote:

An update, but not a good one *sigh

ASRock said to send in for testing to vendor. I started the RMA process. Motherboard picked up and sent in for testing, wouldn?�t POST, deemed faulty. Replacement motherboard authorised. Good news I thought??

I just rebuilt the system, with only a change of cables for the AIO cooler for better control. Have double checked all connections, powered her up, and exactly the same fail to POST is happening.

The only positive so far is the cable change for the cooler has linked the RGB of the case lights and fans with the AIO so the rainbow vomit is perfectly synced and looks disgustingly perfect. That is of course apart from the ASRock 7900GRE steel legend that won?�t sync until I can boot up

Any thoughts on something I may have missed or if I?�m being stupid?

Am I sending back the CPU and hoping?

Thanks

Also, without any display I can?�t alter settings whatsoever. This is hardware which was working fine until a BIOS update and since then I haven?�t been able to post, even after RMA and using a new motherboard.

The problem isn't with the motherboard,CPU, GPU or anything else in my opinion, it's the bios software. I have the same board and have had very similar problems with booting issues with some of Asrock's bios versions, including 3.01. Currently I use version 2.10 without problems, and I used several other versions as well. I would use flashback and try version 2.10, or try one of the earlier versions like 1.30 AS05. Unfortunately Asrock tech support is of little help, they will just tell you to RMA the board, which won't fix the problem. Anyway good luck.

-------------
ASRock X670E Steel legend
AMD 7800X3D
Gigabyte 4080 RTX
GSkill FlareX 5 DDR-5 6000
Sound Blaster AE-5

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2024 at 2:28am
That?™s what I keep telling myself so I had BIOS 2.10 waiting to InstantFlash the board before powering on.

2.10 was stable no issues and no way was I going to try 3.01 again as that?™s what started this problem.

I?™ve reseated the cpu a couple times just to make sure but same thing.

What is the oldest BIOS version for this board that I could try which won?™t fry my CPU?

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2024 at 3:01am

That?�s what I keep telling myself so I had BIOS 2.10 waiting to InstantFlash the board before powering on.

2.10 was stable no issues and no way was I going to try 3.01 again as that?�s what started this problem.

I?�ve reseated the cpu a couple times just to make sure but same thing.

What is the oldest BIOS version for this board that I could try which won?�t fry my CPU?

The oldest I used was 1.30 AS05, I think I also used 2.06 AS03 as well, none of them will fry your CPU, so don't worry about that. Versions 2.00 and 2.02 did not work for me. I would use the Flashback method for flashing the bios, sometimes the Instant Flash method won't work with some of their buggy bios versions.

https://asrock.com/support/QA/FlashbackSOP.pdf" rel="nofollow - https://asrock.com/support/QA/FlashbackSOP.pdf

-------------
AMD 7800X3D
Gigabyte 4080 RTX
Sound Blaster AE-5

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2024 at 3:13am
That?™s the method I used, before I powered on, to install 2.10. I?™ll have to get to a different PC next week to try another version. Might go back to 1.30 one by one and just keep hoping something works ??

Thanks for the reply ??

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2024 at 3:29am

That?�s the method I used, before I powered on, to install 2.10. I?�ll have to get to a different PC next week to try another version. Might go back to 1.30 one by one and just keep hoping something works ??

Thanks for the reply ??

You're welcome! I would start with 2.10 and go back from there. They should be releasing a new bios soon for our board, which is 3.05, I'm hoping it will fix my booting problems as well. My worst case is I'll be stuck on 2.10, and won't be able to upgrade to any new CPU's. that said I regret buying this board, the support leaves a lot to be desired.

-------------
AMD 7800X3D
Gigabyte 4080 RTX
Sound Blaster AE-5

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2024 at 3:31am
I wouldn't go any further back than 1.30 AS02.

-------------
AMD 7800X3D
Gigabyte 4080 RTX
Sound Blaster AE-5

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2024 at 3:34am
I haven?™t found the support too bad. ASRock EU were as helpful as they could be via messages.

They said the error LEDs on the motherboard tells them it?™s saying no power to cpu.

It?™s a shame because it was working perfectly for months and I?™m not getting anywhere fast.

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2024 at 3:39am

I haven?�t found the support too bad. ASRock EU were as helpful as they could be via messages.

They said the error LEDs on the motherboard tells them it?�s saying no power to cpu.

It?�s a shame because it was working perfectly for months and I?�m not getting anywhere fast.

Well good luck, let us know what happens.

-------------
AMD 7800X3D
Gigabyte 4080 RTX
Sound Blaster AE-5

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2024 at 4:50pm
Hey Killroy, just thinking if you know we are due 3.05 soon, do you happen to have any release notes for the other BIOS versions?

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2024 at 11:24pm

Hey Killroy, just thinking if you know we are due 3.05 soon, do you happen to have any release notes for the other BIOS versions?

The release notes will be right on the Asrock support page. I wouldn't pay much attention to them though, they are very basic in the information they provide.

https://asrock.com/mb/AMD/X670E%20Steel%20Legend/index.us.asp#BIOS" rel="nofollow - https://asrock.com/mb/AMD/X670E%20Steel%20Legend/index.us.asp#BIOS

-------------
AMD 7800X3D
Gigabyte 4080 RTX
Sound Blaster AE-5

Date Posted: 21 Jul 2024 at 4:28am

I haven?�t found the support too bad. ASRock EU were as helpful as they could be via messages.

They said the error LEDs on the motherboard tells them it?�s saying no power to cpu.

It?�s a shame because it was working perfectly for months and I?�m not getting anywhere fast.

Wish I could say the same. ASRock support (Eric from the USA) recommended I keep running a LogoFail vulnerable 1.30AS05 firmware.

Supposedly memory training changed after 1.30AS05, but where's the official documentation from ASRock? I found none. ASRock hangs us out to dry. This was my first and will be my last ASRock board.

-------------
AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
WD SN570 2TB
Win 11 Pro

Date Posted: 21 Jul 2024 at 5:21am
ASRock want me to hash check the bios updates I?™ve been using (direct from the motherboard support page. I?™ll do that when I get enough bits to make a 2nd temporary system.

Until then I?™ve RMAd the CPU more as a sanity check that anything else.

I?™m expecting no error, working as normal and I?™m stuck with a dead system. Interesting would be error found and new CPU sent out, and then pray the new motherboard which has BIOS 2.10 on works with it.

Not overly disappointed with ASRock. This is one of those weird things that with back up equipment I could test myself to a certain extent. Going to AMD and DDR5 for the new system left me unable to do that yet.

Just waiting on the CPU to be tested Monday/Tuesday and will know more then ??forumCodes=True

Date Posted: 23 Jul 2024 at 3:03am
Originally posted by mrbill mrbill wrote:

Wish I could say the same. ASRock support (Eric from the USA) recommended I keep running a LogoFail vulnerable 1.30AS05 firmware.

Supposedly memory training changed after 1.30AS05, but where's the official documentation from ASRock? I found none. ASRock hangs us out to dry. This was my first and will be my last ASRock board.

Yes I have had Eric as well, he is all but useless in providing help other than telling you to RMA a good board.

-------------
AMD 7800X3D
Gigabyte 4080 RTX
Sound Blaster AE-5

Date Posted: 23 Jul 2024 at 3:20am
Hahaha

Good timing of the reply as it?™s update time. CPU got tested earlier today, working fine which is good. They could send it back but then I?™d be no further down the line.

They offered to let me send the entire system into them, they?™ll put the CPU in when the system arrives there and do a non warranty diagnostic for a small fee which I think is worth every penny. The postage will cost more as they closed their branch in my city 6/8 years back.

So yeah I?™m in a place where sending the entire system, ram ssd and gpu included, everything, in the glass fish tank case I put it all in seems like a great idea.

At least they?™ve got the ability to figure it out. Just trying to stay positive lol

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2024 at 9:34pm
System arrived relatively unscathed, lower fan dust guard apparently got dented in transit. If that?™s all that happened I?™m happy enough.

They installed the CPU and cooler into the 2nd motherboard which I never got to work. They found the same issues that I was.

They then used a repurposed MSI flash drive that they use to install BIOS on systems because for some reason they always work. They put on BIOS 3.01 which is the one that started all these problems?? Boots straight to windows all good. So it appears the flash drive I used, which wasn?™t a problem for 3/4 BIOS updates, didn?™t like something.

I could have had the system back for the weekend but they wouldn?™t be able to stress test and run their diagnostics. I just said keep it and do what you gotta do, next week isn?™t a long time to wait.

So yeah, at least it wasn?™t something stupid. Almost a shame ASRock don?™t do what MSI apparently do which is give you a compatible USB stick with original bios, in case things go wrong.

No idea what caused the actual problem, or what the problem was, but system is working now and I don?™t think I?™ll be updating BIOS anytime soon ;)

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2024 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by killroy2963 killroy2963 wrote:

Yes I have had Eric as well, he is all but useless in providing help other than telling you to RMA a good board.

Other than the initial response, where Eric suggested we use old FW with security vulnerabilities, we still haven't heard from him in three months. So I sent him another email today asking he respond to the reply I sent months ago. My expectations are low that I'll even get a response considering ASRock as a company is allowing their support staff to encourage their customers to keep using old FW with known security vulnerabilities. Poor support all the way around IMO.

-------------
AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
WD SN570 2TB
Win 11 Pro

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2024 at 8:05am

Other than the initial response, where Eric suggested we use old FW with security vulnerabilities, we still haven't heard from him in three months. So I sent him another email today asking he respond to the reply I sent months ago. My expectations are low that I'll even get a response considering ASRock as a company is allowing their support staff to encourage their customers to keep using old FW with known security vulnerabilities. Poor support all the way around IMO.

Bios version 3.06 finally released for the Steel Legend, I flashed it and everything seems to be working fine, no issues at all. It's too bad Eric is of no help and recommends ridiculous solutions, like in your case and mine. Ripping the motherboard out and RMA'ing it and waiting weeks to get a replacement should be last on the list to recommend, especially when it doesn't fix the problem.

Good luck with you're board, hopefully 3.06 works as well for you.

-------------
AMD 7800X3D
Gigabyte 4080 RTX
Sound Blaster AE-5

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2024 at 12:51pm
No luck here and what a nightmare with fw 3.06. I did get it to train the memory but windows would crash when restarting the pc. So i rolled back to 1.30as05 and encountered all kinds of errors - no start menu, no file association endpoints and more joys. I used wre to roll back to a restore point and all I get is a black screen after logging in. Can?™t even see task manager. I?™m now in the process of resetting the pc. Let me tell u, if I have to pull out the x670e steel legend mb for a RMA, an ASRock board isn?™t going back in. I?™m so done with that company. Regardless, I?™m glad it worked out well for you. I?™d hate anyone else to experience what I?™m going through.

-------------
AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
WD SN570 2TB
Win 11 Pro

Date Posted: 03 Aug 2024 at 1:23am

No luck here and what a nightmare with fw 3.06. I did get it to train the memory but windows would crash when restarting the pc. So i rolled back to 1.30as05 and encountered all kinds of errors - no start menu, no file association endpoints and more joys. I used wre to roll back to a restore point and all I get is a black screen after logging in. Can?�t even see task manager. I?�m now in the process of resetting the pc. Let me tell u, if I have to pull out the x670e steel legend mb for a RMA, an ASRock board isn?�t going back in. I?�m so done with that company. Regardless, I?�m glad it worked out well for you. I?�d hate anyone else to experience what I?�m going through.

That's too bad, I wish I could help but I don't even know where to begin. I'm wondering if something is actually wrong with the Windows installation, but without sitting down with it, I could be very wrong. well good luck, I hope you get it sorted out soon.

-------------
AMD 7800X3D
Gigabyte 4080 RTX
Sound Blaster AE-5

Date Posted: 03 Aug 2024 at 2:44am
Not a hope in hell I?™m upgrading BIOS without intense fear of bricking it again.

At least the system is up and running now but I feel your pains

Date Posted: 03 Aug 2024 at 8:21pm
After reverting to 1.30, and with a fresh install of Windows, I figured it was a good time to give 3.06 another shot. Its not like I had much to lose at that point. I was able to get into Windows only to experience repeated crashes with a clean install.

I doubt I will attempt another FW upgrade, but if I do I will make sure to do a fresh data backup beforehand. What I likely will do is give it some time, for tech to advance a bit, and buy a MB/CPU combo from a different manufacturer and throw this ASRock board in the trash.

-------------
AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
WD SN570 2TB
Win 11 Pro

Posted By: Xaltar
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2024 at 9:28pm
I will point my contacts at ASRock to this thread guys. Seems like this/these BIOS version(s)
have some serious issues, at least with some configurations. Unfortunately, this kind
of thing happens sometimes.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Aug 2024 at 1:41am

After reverting to 1.30, and with a fresh install of Windows, I figured it was a good time to give 3.06 another shot. Its not like I had much to lose at that point. I was able to get into Windows only to experience repeated crashes with a clean install.

I doubt I will attempt another FW upgrade, but if I do I will make sure to do a fresh data backup beforehand. What I likely will do is give it some time, for tech to advance a bit, and buy a MB/CPU combo from a different manufacturer and throw this ASRock board in the trash.

I looked up your memory on the Gskill website, and saw the QVL is only for Asrock Intel boards, the Steel Legend is not listed as compatible . So you may be having memory compatibility issues, I would post a question on the tech support forum for Gskill and see what they have to say, couldn't hurt.

-------------
AMD 7800X3D
Gigabyte 4080 RTX
Sound Blaster AE-5

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2024 at 12:18am

I looked up your memory on the Gskill website, and saw the QVL is only for Asrock Intel boards, the Steel Legend is not listed as compatible . So you may be having memory compatibility issues, I would post a question on the tech support forum for Gskill and see what they have to say, couldn't hurt.

Definitely interesting ASRock claims QVL support for my RAM but Gskill doesn't. I'll take your advice and reach out to GSkill since ASRock has proven to be useless.

-------------
AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
WD SN570 2TB
Win 11 Pro

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net