Forum Description: Question about ASRock AMD motherboards
URL: https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4593
Printed Date: 04 May 2024 at 6:41am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: X370 Taichi, Goes Blank; Code '00'
Posted By: Hectic
Subject: X370 Taichi, Goes Blank; Code '00'
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 9:46am
" rel="nofollow - Finally got all the parts and built up my new AMD build with the ASRock X370 Taichi motherboard, Ryzen 7 1800X processor, Corsair DDR4 3000 RAM and Windows 10 Pro.  I put it together and turned it on yesterday, installed Windows no problem, then proceeded to install some drivers & programs. 

Got up this morning to continue and decided to go ahead and update the BIOS with the latest non beta version (1.5) before I continued to get better functionality CPU/RAM-wise.  I used the Windows method, downloaded and executed the .exe file and it only took a second or 2 (thought that was a bit fast) and it asked to reboot.  I hit yes and let the system reboot, but no update flashing of the bios took place.  It just opened back up into bios showing the same version as before.  I shrugged it off guessing it didn't do anything, but decided to try and OC the CPU just a bit by upping the multiplier a bit.  Saved changes and rebooted.  I booted back to Windows and started to continue w/ updates and things for a few minutes, then the screen went black and the Dr. Debug codes kept flashing '00'.  I looked up the code meaning to check the CPU is connected correctly and to clear the CMOS.  I checked the CPU (removed a little excess thermal paste) and cleared the CMOS back to defaults.  (I cleared the CMOS numerous times)

That update must have done something to screw things up because now anytime I tried to boot into Windows it does, but then goes blank and displays that same error code.  I ran Killdisk in DOS and completely wiped the drive to do a fresher install of Windows than the first time, but when I tried to install again, it loads up the Window files then blanks out, same thing again.  I even tried to upgrade bios using the DOS method, which they REALLY need to provide better instructions on/better way to do it, but I can't get it to upgrade that way either.  I used Rufus to make the bootable USB (using a 16 GB drive) then copied the .exe file to it.  I try booting to it, get some errors, then it goes to the C:\ prompt.  I try to run the .exe file, but no go.

Any ideas/helpful suggestions, or am I just going to have to RMA this thing back to Newegg?  If this is what happens when trying to update bios...I'm nervous to even try at all.  This needs some sort of bios flasher for Windows or especially in the bios!  Having to make a bootable drive and boot to DOS then execute a file to update the bios is a primitive way to do this at best!

Replies:
Posted By: mgrandy@hotmail.co.u
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 11:17am
" rel="nofollow - the reason you use dos is because its far more stable than windows as it uses just the basic functions this lessens the chance of corruptions 

what mdos is

a file directory program without a UI

what you should have on your card is mdos/flasher program/ file to flash

can you locate the flasher program and if you do have the file have you located it throough mdos, using the mdos commands? and does the utility ask you to agree and then show a loading bar

dr debug is pointing at your cpu with the error code so id hazard a guess that your cpu is at fault its cutting out for some reason

you can still access windows right? and see the post and get into bios?

dr debug im guessing is a built in "pci diagnostic card" which i might add is dyam handy!

try lowering the clocks back to default and make sure you have the correct files for upgrading bios and repeat it seems your clocks are unstable for windows to load

if its windows 10 i think it saves your clock settings in the os as well as in the bios i think so when your booting up bios is fine but when it loads your boosted settings during the os load it becomes unstable. from memory to remove clock settings in windows 10 i had to wipe the hdd

but still check in the bios if its doing something it shouldn't and load a fresh copy of windows

wiping the cmos will set the clock to default to prevent overclocking 

heres a link on how to check

https://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/29504-bios-mode-see-if-windows-boot-uefi-legacy-mode.html

if its in UEFI mode it will use your boosted clock setting regardless of what your bios wants

i had the issue of i had saved the clocks from windows 7 @6.3 ghz when i loaded windows 10 it was using my clock settings for windows 7 that i had saved in the bios for future reference regardless of whether they worked or not it didn't even check just up and loaded at 6.3 followed by what your getting bar a code. 

-------------
fx 9370 asrock, fatal1ty 970 performance 3.1, NZXT phantom f-atx, AeroCool Integrator 850W, Corsair Hydro Series H100

Posted By: parsec
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 1:19pm
" rel="nofollow - A UEFI/BIOS update is really a firmware update of a mother board. Any firmware update has some risk associated with it. Firmware is about the lowest level computer code/program that is used, and is not at the level of installing a Windows program, for example. That code is being written to the UEFI/BIOS chip itself, while all other software we use is written to a storage drive. We are also updating the code that is actually used by the UEFI/BIOS chip itself, replacing it with a new copy. Nothing else we install on a PC is similar to this.

Also Ryzen systems are new, and as we are beginning to learn, the release date of the Ryzen processors was very aggressive, relative to the time that mother board manufactures had time to prepare their products for the market.

For whatever reason, history has taught us that the Windows program UEFI/BIOS update method is the one that has the most failures. Did you remember to right click on the update program, and select Run as administrator?

All I can tell you at this point is to try the DOS method again, or try the Windows method again, and be sure to run as administrator, with no other programs running. I would also try running the Windows update method from the C: drive. Sorry to ask, but all the UEFI/BIOS update files are .zip files that must be extracted before use, I assume you did that.

I'm hoping your board gets the Instant Flash update files soon, as that method is the most reliable and is being added to your board's UEFI.

I must also say that if the problem with the screen going blank did not immediately happen when Windows booted, and only happened after you "... continued with updates and things", please think back and consider if anything you may have done contributed to the problem you now have. The Windows UEFI/BIOS update method seems to have not even happened. You were able to use the UEFI/BIOS UI after the failed or never executed update, which does not seem likely if the update went wrong. Your conclusion that it was the cause of your display problem is based upon what, besides your feeling that it is? Can you go into the UEFI UI now, and stay in there indefinitely without the screen going blank?

How did you install drivers after you installed Windows 10? Did you use the Express settings of Windows 10, which allows it to download and install drivers as Microsoft decides is best? Personally with a Windows 10 installation, I configure it to not install drivers and software automatically, and don't even connect to the Internet until after I have installed the basic driver set. Given the recent release of the Ryzen platform, what is Windows update installing that is preferred over the drivers provided by AMD that are provided on your board's download page?

Also, a 00 POST code is a failure of the CPU. That is also seen when the 4/8 pin CPU power cable is not connected to the board. Any chance your PSU is having a problem, or that cable is not connected properly?

-------------
http://valid.x86.fr/48rujh" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 12:39am
" rel="nofollow - OK, first off, this IS NOT my first PC build and I've never had a problem like this before.  I know you gotta ask questions to try and narrow the problem, but some of those felt downright insulting.

I realize that updating bios is best done DOS, when I said primitive, I meant the bios not having a bios update tool installed in it already (which my version doesn't) and having to make your own boot drive.  My last few motherboards I've used over years had that, why not this one?  

Like I said in my original post, I've already wiped Windows and can't do a new install because everytime I try to reinstall Windows, I boot from the Windows USB drive, it starts to unpack the Windows install files, then goes blank and Dr.D flashes the '00'.  And I also said, I tried the DOS version and I can't get it to work either, though admittedly I've never had to update my bios this way before.  I made a bootable USB using rufus, extracted the the 1 .exe file in there to the drive and then booted from the USB.  It runs through a bit of stuff then gives me the C:\ prompt.  I type in the name of the update file.exe, but comes back invalid command.  I rarely use DOS, forget all the commands/intricacies, so maybe I'm not doing it right?  Better step by step instructions are needed for that!    

Yes, I've been able to keep the bios/settings open indefinitely.  I did that and went to the HW monitor section to watch the temp on the CPU for awhile because I thought it might be the cooler not working and the CPU overheating, but no, never got above 40C.  And even when I wiped the drive, that took 4 hours using Killdisk, that was booted from DOS.  

When I installed Windows 10 Friday night, everything was working fine.  Installed all the hardware drivers from the ones here on ASRock's site.  Continued to install some other programs, rebooted numerous times, never had a problem.  Saturday morning, tried to update the bios, no update happened, booted back into Windows.  After a few minutes (didn't even have a chance to update/install anything) the problem occurred.  Seems like too much of a coincidence to be anything else.  Then you mention Windows 10 updates...I don't know exactly what they may have updated, but I'll turn that off for next time for sure.  Where do you go in the setting to disable updates?  (Still new to 10)

Really I'm thinking of just sending both the CPU and MB back to Newegg just to be sure; get a replacement CPU then get a different MB from another brand.  I mean, if I were to get another one of these, who's to say the same thing wouldn't happen again when I tried to update the bios on that one!? 

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 2:36am
" rel="nofollow - yes you are not even locating the file in dos that is why it is cumming up with invalid command

are you in the right directory?
can you access your drive ?try to cd(change directory) to the drive letter using mdos commands before trying to run the file. 

after you enter the command to load you will/should be presented with a UI of sorts like an old fashioned windows screen from there it will ask you. are you sure you want to flash and have read the terms and conditions etc which drive would you like to flash.

ill do a guide in next few days with screens to follow soon as my psu comes dont want to risk my fatal1ty 970 on a 500w psu im pushing it as is.

any new boards will take time for bios files usually the mdos version is out first

hears a link to a guide on the giga byte http://www.gigabyte.com/webpage/20/images/flashbios_dos.pdf
 skip to section 4 page 10 read the note and go from there.

see the flash utility (UI) im taking about just underneath  

Warning when you get to the UI and if it stops at any point while performing the flash, leave it!!! if it takes 20 mins or 1 hour still leave it. usually when it finds a bad section of memory it will stop for awhile this is normal just wait

it is very rare for a flash to fail unless powered off or loss of power or to much bad memory. been new you wont have this issue. all memory blocks will be checked at the factory before shipping if a certain amount fail they would not release the board. 

let me know how ya get on
"Yes, I've been able to keep the bios/settings open indefinitely"
leads me to believe the problem is with windows 10 pushing clocks or doing something it aint ment too 

-------------
fx 9370 asrock, fatal1ty 970 performance 3.1, NZXT phantom f-atx, AeroCool Integrator 850W, Corsair Hydro Series H100

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 3:28am
OK, yeah I was doing the DOS update wrong.  I was in the right directory, I just wasn't actually typing in the name of file to execute properly.  I was typing in the FULL name like you see it in Windows i.e. "X370TC154.exe" when instead I should (and did) type "X370TC1~.exe" like the way it shows it in DOS when I looked at the directory.  It executed, updated the bios no problem.  Thing is, THE PROBLEM IS STILL HAPPENING!!!  Tried to install Windows, as soon as it gives that little progress bar on the bottom saying "Readying Windows Files" (or whatever it says), the screen goes black and I get the flashing '00's!

The bios are updated, everything is back to their defaults in there, everything is plugged in and working properly...I don't get it, I'm at my wits end!  I already set up the RMA's to Newegg and will await a new processor and go for the Gigabyte MB.  Just have to wait a week or 2.  I've used an ASRock MB before and it was pretty solid as I remember it, but this experience has just soured me on trusting them.  

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 3:32am
" rel="nofollow - ok because you cannot get in to windows try wiping the hdd on another pc windows 10 is usually a nightmare to remove once put on start from a clean everything and go from there or try entering safe mode usually spamming all f5-10 works although i think its f8 for safe mode it should default to stock windows settings

personally what i done was use a windows 7 disk to wipe the hdd as it uses an older utilty then reinstalled windows 10 may also work for you. this way you no dyam sure windows 10 has had nothing to do with wiping the drive and keeping any of your old settings

here what im getting so far
bios settings run fine along with dos and updated fine so theres no issue with your cpu or board. along with the cpu as it manage to complete the full flash no "00" code right?

so in this case i would remove windows 10 as it seems its still trying to load your UEFI settings for the clocks. make sure they are fully removed

-------------

Posted By: Ivan_83
Date Posted: 22 May 2017 at 7:36am
" rel="nofollow - I have same problem.
2-6 days uptime and then black screen and boot loop with code: '00'
Video: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uyj88uj1k9wa8cg/AAClalavS1r8bp_12PB9f-Tka/Crash%20Loop.mp4?dl=0
(by NewRigTime from link 1)

Also other peoples too:

1. http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3383713/asrock-x370-taichi-amd-ryzen-1800x-post-build-crashing-issues-error-codes.html
(He was on this forum but after RMA taichi and get Fatality pro)

2. https://www.servethehome.com/amd-ryzen-with-ubuntu-here-is-what-you-have-to-do-to-fix-constant-crashes/#comment-460405

3. https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/the-asrock-thread-support-feedback-etc.18760683/page-26#post-30785355

Also '00' code happen on: ASRock X370 GAMING k4
1. https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f139/amd-ryzen-zen-summit-ridge-socket-am4-oc-thread-1159257-28.html#post25475030

2. https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fanago.2ch.sc%2Ftest%2Fread.cgi%2Fjisaku%2F1489712334%2F
(use find, sorry no post direct link)

May be this connected some how with taichi.

=====================================

First I update to 1.60 from FreeDOS.
2.00, 2.20, 2.30 from bios flash tool - not help.

My config and alternate h/w that I try to use to fix '00' boot loop:
CPU: 1700X (no overclock, try 1.2, 1,35 V, load line calibration 3)
MOBO: x370 taichi with removed wifi/Bluetooth adapter (radio in bios on/off - no affect to '00')
MEM: Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3466C16 (2x8 Gb) and Samsung
M378A2K43BB1-CPB (1x16 Gb)
(try 1x8 Gb @ 2133 1.35V,
try 1x16 Gb @ 2133 1.35V, memtest from boot flash show that all modules OK, now 2+1=32Gb @ 1,35v 16-18-18-18-36)
PSU: corsair RM550x / FSP 600-80GLN
VIDEO: Asus GT610 / Asus GT730 / Radeon HD6450

HDD: ssd SP S60 (60 GB) / INTEL SSDSC2BW120H6 120 Gb + HDD SAMSUNG HD204UI 2Tb (sata2, never try without it)
ODD: ASUS DRW-1814BLT 1.14, it connected but not used
(sata1, never try without it)
3,5 card reader USB 3.0 SEMA (Samsung)
(never try without it)
OS: FreeBSD 11 x64, but this not relevant, users have same problem with linux and windows.

New H/W that works only with X370 taichi:
- Samsung M378A2K43BB1-CPB
-
corsair RM550x
-
Asus GT730
INTEL SSDSC2BW120H6 120 Gb

1700X and Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3466C16 works before with Gigabyte gamming 3 but there was VRM overheat problem and I cant be 100% sure that CPU and mem OK, because no tests with long uptimes done.

I try load defaults, tune various bios settings - wont help.
Try on/off: iommu, svm, c6, cool-n-quiet.....
Try Vsoc 1.0V and SOC load line calibration = 3...

What I can do/try before RMA?
(I have two weeks+- to be your tester)

Please help!

Date Posted: 22 May 2017 at 9:53am
Originally posted by Ivan_83 Ivan_83 wrote:

" rel="nofollow - I have same problem.
Video: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uyj88uj1k9wa8cg/AAClalavS1r8bp_12PB9f-Tka/Crash%20Loop.mp4?dl=0
(by NewRigTime from link 1)

Also other peoples too:

1. http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3383713/asrock-x370-taichi-amd-ryzen-1800x-post-build-crashing-issues-error-codes.html
(He was on this forum but after RMA taichi and get Fatality pro)

2. https://www.servethehome.com/amd-ryzen-with-ubuntu-here-is-what-you-have-to-do-to-fix-constant-crashes/#comment-460405

3. https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/the-asrock-thread-support-feedback-etc.18760683/page-26#post-30785355

Also '00' code happen on: ASRock X370 GAMING k4
1. https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f139/amd-ryzen-zen-summit-ridge-socket-am4-oc-thread-1159257-28.html#post25475030

2. https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fanago.2ch.sc%2Ftest%2Fread.cgi%2Fjisaku%2F1489712334%2F
(use find, sorry no post direct link)

May be this connected some how with taichi.

=====================================

My config and alternate h/w that I try to use to fix '00' boot loop:
CPU: 1700X (no overclock, try 1.2, 1,35 V, load line calibration 3)

MOBO: x370 taichi with removed wifi/Bluetooth adapter (radio in bios on/off - no affect to '00')
MEM: Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3466C16 (2x8 Gb) and Samsung
M378A2K43BB1-CPB (1x16 Gb)
(try 1x8 Gb @ 2133 1.35V,
try 1x16 Gb @ 2133 1.35V, memtest from boot flash show that all modules OK, now 2+1=32Gb @ 1,35v 16-18-18-18-36)
PSU: corsair RM550x / FSP 600-80GLN
VIDEO: Asus GT610 / Asus GT730 / Radeon HD6450

HDD: ssd SP S60 (60 GB) / INTEL SSDSC2BW120H6 120 Gb + HDD SAMSUNG HD204UI 2Tb (sata2, never try without it)
(never try without it)
OS: FreeBSD 11 x64, but this not relevant, users have same problem with linux and windows.

New H/W that works only with X370 taichi:
- Samsung M378A2K43BB1-CPB
-
corsair RM550x
-
Asus GT730
INTEL SSDSC2BW120H6 120 Gb

1700X and Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3466C16 works before with Gigabyte gamming 3 but there was VRM overheat problem and I cant be 100% sure that CPU and mem OK, because no tests with long uptimes done.

I try load defaults, tune various bios settings - wont help.
Try on/off: iommu, svm, c6, cool-n-quiet.....
Try Vsoc 1.0V and SOC load line calibration = 3...

What I can do/try before RMA?
(I have two weeks+- to be your tester)

Please help!

Your description is very confusing, I don't know what the current status of the PC is at all.

First you said this:

Dr Debug code of "00" means a bad CPU. The board won't POST or do anything, because the CPU is not working for some reason, or is dead.

That means the PC will not start at all, you cannot get into the UEFI/BIOS, nothing on the screen at all, so the PC cannot be used.

Next you said:

So after you had the "00" POST code and a black screen dead PC, you were able to start the PC and boot into a DOS bootable USB flash drive to update to 1.60? You said you used Instant Flash to try three UEFI/BIOS versions? How can you do that if you get a "00" POST code and the PC does not work at all? Sorry I don't understand how this is possible.

After this, you said you tried alternate hardware to try to fix the "00" problem, that you then listed. That is different hardware, a new 1700X, new memory, new mother board?

This alternate hardware has the same "00" problem? I'm sorry but I don't understand what you did, or if you used new hardware or something else.

Finally you said:

You are not sure if the CPU and memory you used in a Gigabyte board was not damaged before you put it in the X370 Taichi board.

With the possibility of the CPU or memory being damaged on the old board, and since I do not understand the sequence of events of what you did with the X370 Taichi board, I can't suggest anything.

Is the "00" POST code the only code you get on the Dr Debug display? Please describe what happened since you first used the Taichi board with the CPU and memory from the other Ryzen build. Please try to make your description better, I described what I don't understand in my comments above.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 May 2017 at 4:01pm
1. After power on PC start OK.
Then it works OK 2-6 days.
Then screen goes black and Dr.Debug show '00'.
If I press reset button or power off-on PSU - PC start OK and I continue work next 2-6 days.

2. '00' code does not happen after power on or reset button, so system start/work OK and I can update BIOS, boot to OS...etc...
I have no alternative CPU and MOBO for AM4. (for next few weeks)
All (at most) other hardware have alternative that I try.

3. Samsung memory come after Gigabyte mobo RMA.
I think CPU is OK, because:
- CPU start and work OK up to 2-6 days (even if I run prime95 (mprime) few hours)
- there is other peoples with x370 taichi with same problem
- Gigabyte only overheat VRM and stop work until temperature goes normal, this should not damage CPU, IMHO.

======
I build test machine with 1700X, Corsair mem and gigabyte mobo.
Gigabyte mobo overheat in test time.
I RMA gigabyte mobo and get taichi mobo.
I test taichi for overheat - test passed, no other issues found (but I do not test long uptime) and then I move 1700x, taichi and Corsair mem to my work system (replace 775 mobo+CPU+ddr3 that work OK while 5+ years).
All was OK next few days then screen goes black and I see '00' error code.
I press reset and system rebooted, I continue work...
Samsung memory come, I remove Corsair and try work only with samsung - not help with '00'.
I try replace PSU, video card, tune bios - not help.
Intel SSD come and replace SP S60 SSD.
I continue playing with bios settings...without success.
So I continue press reset every 2-6 days to continue.

Date Posted: 22 May 2017 at 9:02pm
" rel="nofollow -

1. After power on PC start OK.
Then it works OK 2-6 days.
Then screen goes black and Dr.Debug show '00'.
If I press reset button or power off-on PSU - PC start OK and I continue work next 2-6 days.

2. '00' code does not happen after power on or reset button, so system start/work OK and I can update BIOS, boot to OS...etc...
I have no alternative CPU and MOBO for AM4. (for next few weeks)
All (at most) other hardware have alternative that I try.

3. Samsung memory come after Gigabyte mobo RMA.
I think CPU is OK, because:
- CPU start and work OK up to 2-6 days (even if I run prime95 (mprime) few hours)
- there is other peoples with x370 taichi with same problem
- Gigabyte only overheat VRM and stop work until temperature goes normal, this should not damage CPU, IMHO.

======
I build test machine with 1700X, Corsair mem and gigabyte mobo.
Gigabyte mobo overheat in test time.
I RMA gigabyte mobo and get taichi mobo.
I test taichi for overheat - test passed, no other issues found (but I do not test long uptime) and then I move 1700x, taichi and Corsair mem to my work system (replace 775 mobo+CPU+ddr3 that work OK while 5+ years).
All was OK next few days then screen goes black and I see '00' error code.
I press reset and system rebooted, I continue work...
Samsung memory come, I remove Corsair and try work only with samsung - not help with '00'.
I try replace PSU, video card, tune bios - not help.
Intel SSD come and replace SP S60 SSD.
I continue playing with bios settings...without success.
So I continue press reset every 2-6 days to continue.

Thank you, now I understand what is happening much better.

The only thing I'm not sure about is when the screen goes black and you get "00" on the Dr Debug display. Does that happen when the PC is running after a while? Or does it happen when you first power on the PC?

This is a very strange problem. Since you used a different PSU, memory, SSD, and video card, they should not be the problem.

If the only thing that would fix it (temporarily) would be to power off - on the PSU, then I would say it was something wrong with the mother board. But if pressing the Reset button also lets the PC work fine afterwards, that does not make sense, given the "00" code.

But I can't think of any other reason why the PC should act this way. I have a different ASRock Ryzen board and CPU, and I have never had this problem.

You can try replacing the board, that is all that is left to do besides a different CPU.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 May 2017 at 9:54pm
" rel="nofollow - Screen goes black and I get "00" on the Dr Debug display, that happen when the PC is running after a while.
System can work up to 2-6 day before that happen.
I unable to reproduce this by any actions in OS/software.

As I remember, '00' happen most times on video playback.
Last time I was working with xfreerdp with remote computer. No sound, no music, no video playback.

May this not connected, but 1-2 days before boot loop code '00', video playback with tearing.
Last time was no tearing on video playback, may be because I set Vsoc = 1.0V and SOC load line calibration = 3.

On my first link another taichi user get '00' on windows setup, music playback and playing game.

It may be quit difficult to RMA: 14 days are left and local reseller may take mobo for tests and because '00' code difficult to reproduce it can deny RMA or I will wait for long time for approve.

========
I suggest that boot loop instead reboot happen because some internal CPU registers or devices (inside CPU) contain incorrect values.
(May be some one forget set msr registers to protect some internal/system registers/mem regions during bios init, then OS try to use it - some CPU critical data may be damaged, then system try start but bios initial code does not init this part at all or fail to init.)

May be something wrong with watchdog inside CPU.
Is it possible that BIOS programmers forget init watchdog on BIOS start, it initialized by some random crap and after 2-6 day it fire reboot?
(Me and man with linux have no driver that reinit watchdog. User from first link and topic starter may be not setup all drivers for all devices and windows dont re init watch dog to. One of my theory.)

I try load watch dog driver but get:
amdsbwd0: <AMD FCH Rev 41h+ Watchdog Timer> at iomem 0xfed80b00-0xfed80b03,0xfed80b04-0xfed80b07 on isa0
amdsbwd0: watchdog hardware is disabled
device_attach: amdsbwd0 attach returned 6

I cant patch driver because I have no BIOS and Kernel Developer's Guide for AMD 17h, I request it and waiting: https://community.amd.com/thread/213584

Also I have no drivers for:
none0@pci0:0:0:2:    class=0x080600 card=0x14511022 chip=0x14511022 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD]'
    class      = base peripheral
    subclass   = IOMMU
    cap 0f[40] = unknown
    cap 05[64] = MSI supports 4 messages, 64 bit
    cap 08[74] = HT MSI fixed address window enabled at 0xfee00000
none1@pci0:0:20:0:    class=0x0c0500 card=0xffff1849 chip=0x790b1022 rev=0x59 hdr=0x00
    device     = 'FCH SMBus Controller'
    class      = serial bus
    subclass   = SMBus
none2@pci0:17:0:0:    class=0x130000 card=0x145a1022 chip=0x145a1022 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
    cap 09[48] = vendor (length 8)
    cap 01[50] = powerspec 3  supports D0 D3  current D0
    cap 10[64] = PCI-Express 2 endpoint max data 256(256) RO NS
                 link x16(x16) speed 8.0(8.0) ASPM disabled(L0s/L1)
    ecap 000b[100] = Vendor 1 ID 1
    ecap 0019[270] = PCIe Sec 1 lane errors 0
none3@pci0:17:0:2:    class=0x108000 card=0x14561022 chip=0x14561022 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
    class      = encrypt/decrypt
    bar   [18] = type Memory, range 32, base 0xfe600000, size 1048576, enabled
    bar   [24] = type Memory, range 32, base 0xfe700000, size 8192, enabled
    cap 05[a0] = MSI supports 2 messages, 64 bit
    cap 11[c0] = MSI-X supports 2 messages
                 Table in map 0x24[0x0], PBA in map 0x24[0x1000]
none4@pci0:18:0:0:    class=0x130000 card=0x14551022 chip=0x14551022 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00

Posted By: Atan87
Date Posted: 23 May 2017 at 12:49am
" rel="nofollow - My taichi show's 00 code after crash due too high overclock. U sure your system is not crashing due to instability?

Date Posted: 23 May 2017 at 1:46am
I have no overclock.
I try 1,35V for CPU, this don't help.
I try mem at 2133 and 1,35V - don't help too (for corsair and for Samsung. Samsung start and work OK at 2966 1,35V, 18-18-18-18-36).

I have no crashes on high CPU load (prime95 = mprime - 2 hours - OK), most crashes happen on intensive video output (video playback, paint remote desktop). May be this is some how connected with network activity (like packet of death on some vendor + intel network chip), but some times I transfer many data and crashes not happen. Most video that I playback from network share.
I will try to use different network card after next reboot.

Date Posted: 23 May 2017 at 7:08am
" rel="nofollow - I will try to turn on logging for "machine check exception" = MCE, get and decode log.

Is it possible that BIOS does not clear mce registers on software reset/init sequence but check mce state and if there some error try to restart init sequence?

Date Posted: 24 May 2017 at 6:08am
Originally posted by Atan87 Atan87 wrote:

" rel="nofollow - My taichi show's 00 code after crash due too high overclock. U sure your system is not crashing due to instability?

You got boot loop with code '00'?
If yes then +1 for my theory that BIOS does not clear MCE on soft reboot, but check it and do soft reboot...
If it true - this mean that Asrock should fix startup sequence to reset MCE and I should RMA CPU or  report to AMD and wait for microcode update.

Few peoples from another forum and different vendors mobos report about reboots on video playback, they have no overclock too.

Posted By: wardog
Date Posted: 24 May 2017 at 11:25am
" rel="nofollow -

(never try without it)

Ivan, disconnect the above two and see what gives.

MCE's are hardware problems bad enough to stop/halt a computer.

The ODD is real old. 9+ years or so.

The card reader? Internal or external? Irrelevant, as most are temperamental at best and a PITA at worst.

Disconnect both the ODD and card reader and see if these MCEs reoccur.

Date Posted: 24 May 2017 at 3:36pm
" rel="nofollow - Ok, I will disconnect both on next boot loop reboot.
Card reader: SEMA SFD-321F / T81UB

PS: can you transfer information about mce and boot sequence to BIOS team in asrock for check it?

Date Posted: 25 May 2017 at 5:46am
No bootloop, just stays there doing nothing but showing code 00. I have to power down manually and power on again, which works everytime. Never have to clear cmos at this point. 

Date Posted: 25 May 2017 at 5:57am
" rel="nofollow - Video with boot loop: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uyj88uj1k9wa8cg/AAClalavS1r8bp_12PB9f-Tka/Crash%20Loop.mp4?dl=0
not mine, but I have same '00' flashes.

Date Posted: 25 May 2017 at 10:48am

" rel="nofollow - Screen goes black and I get "00" on the Dr Debug display, that happen when the PC is running after a while.
System can work up to 2-6 day before that happen.
I unable to reproduce this by any actions in OS/software.

As I remember, '00' happen most times on video playback.
Last time I was working with xfreerdp with remote computer. No sound, no music, no video playback.

May this not connected, but 1-2 days before boot loop code '00', video playback with tearing.
Last time was no tearing on video playback, may be because I set Vsoc = 1.0V and SOC load line calibration = 3.

On my first link another taichi user get '00' on windows setup, music playback and playing game.

It may be quit difficult to RMA: 14 days are left and local reseller may take mobo for tests and because '00' code difficult to reproduce it can deny RMA or I will wait for long time for approve.

========
I suggest that boot loop instead reboot happen because some internal CPU registers or devices (inside CPU) contain incorrect values.
(May be some one forget set msr registers to protect some internal/system registers/mem regions during bios init, then OS try to use it - some CPU critical data may be damaged, then system try start but bios initial code does not init this part at all or fail to init.)

May be something wrong with watchdog inside CPU.
Is it possible that BIOS programmers forget init watchdog on BIOS start, it initialized by some random crap and after 2-6 day it fire reboot?
(Me and man with linux have no driver that reinit watchdog. User from first link and topic starter may be not setup all drivers for all devices and windows dont re init watch dog to. One of my theory.)

I try load watch dog driver but get:
amdsbwd0: <AMD FCH Rev 41h+ Watchdog Timer> at iomem 0xfed80b00-0xfed80b03,0xfed80b04-0xfed80b07 on isa0
amdsbwd0: watchdog hardware is disabled
device_attach: amdsbwd0 attach returned 6

I cant patch driver because I have no BIOS and Kernel Developer's Guide for AMD 17h, I request it and waiting: https://community.amd.com/thread/213584

Also I have no drivers for:
none0@pci0:0:0:2:    class=0x080600 card=0x14511022 chip=0x14511022 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
    class      = base peripheral
    subclass   = IOMMU
    cap 0f[40] = unknown
    cap 05[64] = MSI supports 4 messages, 64 bit
    cap 08[74] = HT MSI fixed address window enabled at 0xfee00000
none1@pci0:0:20:0:    class=0x0c0500 card=0xffff1849 chip=0x790b1022 rev=0x59 hdr=0x00
    device     = 'FCH SMBus Controller'
    class      = serial bus
    subclass   = SMBus
none2@pci0:17:0:0:    class=0x130000 card=0x145a1022 chip=0x145a1022 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
none3@pci0:17:0:2:    class=0x108000 card=0x14561022 chip=0x14561022 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
    class      = encrypt/decrypt
    bar   [18] = type Memory, range 32, base 0xfe600000, size 1048576, enabled
    bar   [24] = type Memory, range 32, base 0xfe700000, size 8192, enabled
    cap 05[a0] = MSI supports 2 messages, 64 bit
    cap 11[c0] = MSI-X supports 2 messages
                 Table in map 0x24[0x0], PBA in map 0x24[0x1000]
none4@pci0:18:0:0:    class=0x130000 card=0x14551022 chip=0x14551022 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00

So a simple PSU power cycle or press of the Reset button is enough to reset internal CPU registers? Or that somehow resets/initializes the watchdog? You said both of those things would fix the "00" POST code and POST failure.

What is producing all the error messages for the "drivers" you don't have? They seem to be internal UEFI/BIOS code? Wait, you are using FreeBSD 11 x64.

You have dismissed using FreeBSD 11 x64 as irrelevant, simply because someone reported a similar issue. AMD states only Windows 10 officially supports Ryzen. ASRock states only Windows 10 is supported for the X370 Taichi. Have you verified Ryzen support on FreeBSD 11 x64? If that is possible.

Have you modified the UEFI/BIOS file yourself?

-------------

Date Posted: 25 May 2017 at 3:33pm
Yes, reset/power cycle is enough to reset CPU internal registers (MCE, watchdog and others) and fix '00' POST code and failure.

This is not error messages.
This is output from pciconf utility.
I dont understand about internal UEFI devices.

As you can see ryzen mostly supported by FreeBSD. CPU topology detect correctly, all devices that have drivers works OK.
I think that other OSes users from my links have same issue - not OS specific.

No, I dont change UEFI/BIOS file.

Date Posted: 25 May 2017 at 7:14pm
Mine does the same. That is not a bootloop, it's not even trying to boot.

Date Posted: 25 May 2017 at 7:53pm
IMHO it is boot loop.
MOBO BIOS do soft reset, '00' leds is off for a very short time, then run startup sequence and set '00', then check some thing (I suspect MCE status), see that some thing wrong and do soft reset. Again and again.
'00' flashes = BIOS stick/fail at first boot step.

My first guess was that watchdog and may be some other devices without drivers not initialized as it should and may be watchdog fire reboot random time later.

But then I find MCE, and look like more reasonable that CPU reports about some error to OS/BIOS, OS do panic and software reboot. OS do not clean MCE status registers, I found comment on kernel code:
    /*
     * Clear machine check.  Don't do this for uncorrectable
     * errors so that the BIOS can see them.
     */
Then BIOS try init but don't clean MCE too, but check it.

I have no experience in UEFI + asm hacking (to many reverse engineering for me) to check this guess and have no time to start experiments.
All what I can is playing around MCE code in FreeBSD kernel, try to catch MCE event and decode it.

Posted By: Lisanderus
Date Posted: 25 May 2017 at 8:06pm
" rel="nofollow - I also get an annoying code 00 - when tested with a prime95. At first I was pretty scared, because in the description it says: Please check if the CPU is installed correctly.
Later came to the conclusion that it just signals instability of overclocking. The computer restarts and glows 00, it is necessary to restart. So... what this code 00 really mean?

Date Posted: 25 May 2017 at 9:11pm
IHMO, Dr.Debug it is integrated to MOBO LPC-debug port decoder. (google: PCI-E PCI+LPC Port Diagnostic Test Debug Post card)
BIOS on some control points of code execution write to some register num-code of step where it now, so if there are some error happen then we can know on what step we got error.

If you really want to know what codes mean then you need get documentation from ami/award to get base codes and from asrock to know about vendor specific codes.

Posted By: CraazyCanuck
Date Posted: 30 May 2017 at 2:00am
" rel="nofollow - I too have this issue. It is while running prime95. I've run prime stable for 1 hour plus at 3.6 with no issues. It's only during the search for stability at 3.7 that thus far it has occurred. But Ivan is not overclocking so something else? Screen goes back then flashing 00. Power to the board still occurring with fans running etc. Soft boot takes care of the problem.
I've rune Cinebench and Firestrike with no issues. And other then that just some Planetside 2, that brought up an audio issue even after reinstalling the realtek driver and disabling the Nvidia driver. Choppy playback in game while using headset.
The only other issue I've encountered thus far is F62 when I try to use the XMP file. It requires a cmos reset.

Running latest bios.
Windows 10
r5 1600
Fatality X370 K4
16GB Vengeance LPX running at 2133
Patriot Hellfire 480GB

All drivers were installed individually off the site as the all in one did not work.

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 7:40am
Well.
I take Bristol Ridge 9700 and got same issue on taichi.

I take all my hardware, except taichi and use AB350M Pro4 or Fatal1ty X370 Gaming X and system runs OK without any issues.
This is not software BUG, because I do not change any settings in my FreeBSD after mobo changed.

Posted By: Snow
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 7:57am
I get this too, but with windows 10, x370 taichi board.

Posted By: fergazer
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 4:45am
I have the same problem with Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming since day one. Running Linux and under even 0 load, just idling, it will end up locked with 00 flashing, randomly, but at least once a day.

RAM & CPU stock volts & freq. 

Ran Memtest86 for 36 hours worked fine.

RMA'd the 1800X CPU so far, and it did not help.

Kinda lost as to what to test next.

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 7:54pm
RMA mobo.

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 8:19am
Probably I found cause of issue: it is some kind of oil from thermal pad, it leak on mobo over chipset: http://forum.ixbt.com/post.cgi?id=attach:9:68823:5110:1.jpg

I remove it and looks like mobo works fine now.
Same crap probably with Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4, X370 Killer SLI, Fatal1ty X370 Gaming X and other mobo with near design.

EDITED TO DISPLAY PICTURE. HOT-LINKING ISSUE

Posted By: wardog
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 12:05pm
I will contact Tech Support and have this looked into.

Thank You for returning and notifying us.

Posted By: Cantine
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 12:25am
" rel="nofollow - How did you remove the oil? Contact cleaner?

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 1:56am
I unscrewed the two screws.
I took off the radiator.
Wiped with an alcoholic napkin.
Wiped with a dry rag.
Installed a new thermal pad, screwed the radiator.

Posted By: Cantine
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 4:24am

I unscrewed the two screws.
I took off the radiator.
Wiped with an alcoholic napkin.
Wiped with a dry rag.
Installed a new thermal pad, screwed the radiator.

Ok thanks, I will try it.

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 8:32am

Probably I found cause of issue: it is some kind of oil from thermal pad, it leak on mobo over chipset: http://forum.ixbt.com/post.cgi?id=attach:9:68823:5110:1.jpg

I remove it and looks like mobo works fine now.
Same crap probably with Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4, X370 Killer SLI, Fatal1ty X370 Gaming X and other mobo with near design.

EDITED TO DISPLAY PICTURE. HOT-LINKING ISSUE

So the oil-like substance, that was apparently conductive, and on or contained within the thermal pad from the factory was shorting some contacts on the chipset or components around the chipset? Or do you have another explanation?

That is very unusual and I'm sorry if this was the problem.

Regarding other models of AM4 boards experiencing the same thing, I have an X370 Killer SLI/ac, and have never had a problem such as you did.

Whether the thermal pad was supplied with the chipset heatsink from its factory, or if the thermal pad was added at the ASRock factory, any contamination or defect in the thermal pad would occur randomly, by chance.

Finding this as you did was an amazing thing, the vast majority of people would have never noticed this. I don't know if I would have found it.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 3:49pm
" rel="nofollow - I think thermal pads may be part-to-part different.
At least one man wrote at russian forum about his Gaming K4 and oil from thermal pad.
I check mine Gaming X and see same oil. (thermal pad was small and does not cover all chipset)
Then I check mine AB350M Pro4 and it was OK: no thermal pad on chipset and I dont see oil on VRM.
At last I disassemble taichi and see many oil at chipset and around chipset. (Taichi my oldest mobo)
I remove oil and run one test with bristol ridge that always reboot on mobo. And get no reboot.
In theory there may be some mechanical defect with taichi, like bad contact some where, that was self fixed while me "play" with mobos cooling system.

I can share photos how I modify cooling system on my mobos.
Oil, small thermal pads, bad radiator form (K4, gaming x) - all on photos.

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6155&title=computer-acting-strange-x370-gaming-k4
Very near design mobo (Gaming X...Killer SLI...).

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6309&title=new-build-unstability
(But AB350M Pro4 does not have thermal pad on chipset, at least mine)

Posted By: lowdog
Date Posted: 14 May 2018 at 6:56am
" rel="nofollow - So was this thermal pad oil definitively determined to be the cause of the 00 boot error????

-------------
X399 Fat Pro Gaming bios 3.10 - TR4 1900X - 64GB G-SKILL TridentZ F4-3200C14Q-64GTZ @ 3133MHz - Vega 64 AIO with EK block - WC Custom loop - 1500W Silverstone PSU - yay

Date Posted: 14 May 2018 at 7:06am
Yes, no problems after clean.

Posted By: lowdog
Date Posted: 14 May 2018 at 8:04am
Ok thanks. just took the heatsink off my X370 Fatality Pro Gaming and the moisture/grease was all over the inside of the heatsink around the thermal pad. I removed the thermal pad, cleaned the heatsink with Methylated spirits and put a new thermal pad on....should have avoided the problem by carrying out that procedure. lucky for me the grease had only spread around on the heatsink and hadn't yet made it's way to the motherboard bcb.

-------------
X399 Fat Pro Gaming bios 3.10 - TR4 1900X - 64GB G-SKILL TridentZ F4-3200C14Q-64GTZ @ 3133MHz - Vega 64 AIO with EK block - WC Custom loop - 1500W Silverstone PSU - yay

Posted By: sp00ky
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 7:52am
Any see this issue on a x470 fatality k4?   What is the procedure to remove the chipset heatseat to take a look for mystery grease? I can this be done without remove the board from the case?

Posted By: Xaltar
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 2:35pm
You will have to take the board out of the case to access the screws that hold
the PCH heatsink. They are located on the back of the board. It's a simple matter
to remove the heatsink and clean the PCH and surrounding board with some
isopropyl alcohol. You will want to clean off any and all residue in the area
under the heatsink.

-------------

Posted By: sp00ky
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 11:29pm
Thanks for the tip. Yes, I found a mess underneath the chipset heat sink. I will post pictures later.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net