Forum Description: Question about ASRock Intel Motherboards
URL: https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4615
Printed Date: 30 May 2024 at 10:19am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Z270 K6 BIOS Setting for Watercooler
Posted By: Kanty
Subject: Z270 K6 BIOS Setting for Watercooler
Date Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 11:16am
" rel="nofollow - Hey everyone, I've been having spikes up to 70c for a i7 7700k non OC turbo 4.5 GHZ on some games...namely Battlefied 1 and Ghost Recon Wildlands. I was just wdonering about the fan settings in the BIOS...at the moment it's set at full fan speed, but there's a mode called performance mode that I was curious if it'd help my temps. Also curious if spikes up to 70c with a Asetek 550LC seem normal? Idle temps are perfectly fine at around 30c. Thanks guys!

Replies:
Posted By: parsec
Date Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by Kanty Kanty wrote:

" rel="nofollow - Hey everyone, I've been having spikes up to 70c for a i7 7700k non OC turbo 4.5 GHZ on some games...namely Battlefied 1 and Ghost Recon Wildlands. I was just wdonering about the fan settings in the BIOS...at the moment it's set at full fan speed, but there's a mode called performance mode that I was curious if it'd help my temps. Also curious if spikes up to 70c with a Asetek 550LC seem normal? Idle temps are perfectly fine at around 30c. Thanks guys!

A single fan, 120mm size radiator, AIO liquid cooler is not an exceptional CPU cooler, sorry to say. But short term temperature spikes will happen with any CPU cooler, even full custom liquid configurations.

If your cooler's fan is running at the Full Speed setting, which means the fan is at its full speed (100%) all the time, regardless of the CPU temperature, what could possibly be better for cooling than that? You are at the maximum potential of your CPU cooler, assuming it is pulling air in from outside the PC case.

The performance mode setting is simply set to about 70% of the maximum speed up to some point, maybe 50C or 60C, and then up to 100% above that.

How is you cooler's pump connected to power in that PC? Is the pump running at full speed all the time?

Spikes up to 70C while gaming does not sound unusual for an i7-7700K. But a lot of important information is missing. Such as, what is the CPU usage when it reaches 70C, and what is the CPU's VCore voltage when that happens?

-------------
http://valid.x86.fr/48rujh" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: wardog
Date Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 1:52pm
This Asetek 550LC is the same as a Corsair H50, which Asetek OEMed for Corsair.

I'm with parsec here. The 550LC/H50 IMO falls short for cooling an i7-7700K.

But, let's hear what voltages and usage it's being put through.

I'm thinking you're hitting the thermal limit/capability of the 550LC/H50 when those 70C spikes occur.

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 2:22pm
" rel="nofollow - Okay I will fill you guys in, usage varies between 60-90% when It gets to those temps on these particular games...I thought the cooler was okay given that I'm not Overclocking in any way..of note though, I did a 2 hour stress test on the intel extreme tuning utility and the CPU never went over 69c if that's a useful info bit. I apologize for not being more informative....will I be okay rolling with this cooler for awhile even with those semi high temps? The higher temps mostly occur in GRW and BF1...I'll have to test others as well. And when I say spikes to 70c I mean like literal half second spikes to 70c and than it will quickly drop to 58-62c work it's way up to 65c and eventually more so occasionally reach 70c.

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 2:24pm
I'm not 100% sure of the voltage, I'd have to track that.

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 2:25pm
Also, the stress test had it pulling 1.32 Volts and 4.5GHZ and it never went above 69c within the two hour period.

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 2:27pm
Asetek 550LC 120mm Liquid Cooling CPU Cooler (Dual
(Push-Pull) Standard 120MM Fans. That's the cooler, thanks again.

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 2:42pm
So far on BF1 after about 15 minutes or so I'm getting roughly 70 percent CPU usage while on about 60-67c temps

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 2:57pm
Just got a spike to 70c and it was in a BF1 menu lobby, the usage spiked to 98% when it reached 70c though.

Posted By: Xaltar
Date Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 3:04pm
" rel="nofollow - Ok, this is important, how is your radiator set up? Is it drawing cool air from outside the case or operating as an extractor fan?

I am guessing you have it blowing air out of the case which means as the case temps ramp up while gaming it is pushing warmer air through the rad. This explains higher temps at lower utilization than when stress testing which only effects the CPU and VRMs. 

What case are you using and what is your fan setup in there?

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 3:19pm
Gosh I wish I could tell you exactly, but I'm not entirely sure...I ordered it online custom built as I'm kind of a noob....but I can tell you there is infact air being pushed out of the back of the case which is a corsair 450D

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 3:23pm
I also have 3 Enermax fans set up throughout the case 2 in the front pushing air out and 1 on the top of the case pushing air out.

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 3:26pm
Also after about an hour of gaming I tracked the stats of my CPU utilization and Temps

They are...
Recent Maximum 74c
Recent average 65c

Recent Maximum Usage 100%
Recent Average 64%

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 3:27pm
Voltage from what I could tell was around 1.3

Also the Radiator is inside of the case but I'm not sure what exactly that entails as I said before I'm new to this and ordered this all custom made online.

I also apologize for so many different comments, I'm now kind of freaking out over this as I really don't wanna have to mess around and get a whole new water cooler already.

I will however answer any question you ask me to the best of my ability as you are being helpful already, giving me a better idea of where the problem may lie. So thank you :)

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 5:24pm
There are a lot of theories about what works best for an AIO but generally it depends on the case and fan setup. You can make it work as either exhaust or intake but it takes some tweaking and fan flipping to find what works best with your hardware and case.

Right off the bat though I am seeing a whole lot of extractor fans and not a whole lot of intake. This isn't ideal, while yes you will be pumping out the warm air from the case faster you are also sucking air in through every gap, hole and grill in your case due to the negative pressure inside. Negative pressure is popular with some builders but it has to be within reason. Too much and you run into the situation where you are just spinning fans with not a lot of air getting through them. Even water cooling used air to cool the coolant, air cooling requires air, too much of a vacuum inside your case and you end up with less air going though your radiator. 

I am not going to get any more technical here, this is a highly subjective topic and in many cases the orientation of the radiator fans makes very little difference. In my experience though, this is how I like to set things up:

Radiator as exhaust (pulling air from inside the case and blowing it out of the case):

All front fans as intake, rear fan as exhaust and radiator mounted on the top of the case also as exhaust.

Radiator as intake (pulling air from ouside the case and dumping it inside):

Radiator mounted on the front of the case as intake with at least 1 other fan doing the same, top fans as exhaust, rear fan as exhaust.

Both these setups should perform more or less the same. With the rad intake config your GPU and VRMs may run a little hotter and with the Rad as exhaust your CPU may run a little hotter but in both situations we are talking minimal figures.

What you have now is not properly balanced, it sounds like someone went on to an enthusiast forum and read "negative pressure is best for cooling" and went the whole way with all fans as exhaust. That isn't what negative pressure being best means, it means leaning toward not all out. Fans should always be set up more or less balanced with one maybe 2 (with loads of fans) fans tilting the case pressure to positive or negative. I personally prefer positive pressure, it means less dust buildup in the case.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 8:58pm
" rel="nofollow - So what do you think I should do?

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 9:22pm
I feel like I should note that on a game like GTA 5 I'm getting temps from the mid 50's to low 60's at around 60% usage as well. Weird.

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 9:41pm
BF1 hammers both the GPU and CPU so higher temps across the board are understandable. 

I gave my two favorite configs in my last post. At the very least I would open up your case and flip the front fans so they pull air into the case Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 10:13pm
Overwatch Temps are 100 fps with around mid 40's to low 50's temps.
Fallout 4 with V Sync on was at around 50c to 58c.

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 10:15pm
I will try that after work today man and let you know what happens

Posted By: parsec
Date Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 10:25pm
" rel="nofollow - Frankly, I think you are not in any danger. Spikes to 70C are not a problem while gaming. Your CPU will start to throttle itself due to high temperature at 100C. That is the Intel spec for your CPU.

Your CPU cooler is fine for stock CPU speeds, we are just saying it is not so great that it will never let your CPU go above 70C. Very, very few CPU coolers can do that, your CPU temperature is not crazy high for gaming, but can be improved. It seems your VCore voltage is not terrible either, normal for stock BIOS settings. You could reduce the VCore some by changing BIOS settings, but that won't make a night and day difference in CPU temperature.

CPU usage in games will be different depending upon the game, they are all different in that way, completely normal. Plus when we monitor CPU usage with a program, the program takes a reading maybe once every three to five seconds. One second to a CPU is a long time, compared to our brains. Our "picture" of CPU usage is not accurate.

I agree with Xaltar that it seems your case fan configuration is not right. We can try to pull all the hot air out of a PC case (mostly caused by the video card at high loads, during gaming), but if there is no easy way for cool air to get into the PC case, the fans are not making a difference. It's like having a fan in your window blowing air out of the house, with all the other windows closed. Where is air coming into your PC case?

It seems your CPU cooler's fan is exhausting air across the radiator out the top rear of the case. That is fine, but think of the fan exhausting air out the top of the PC case. Those fans are fairly close to each other, and fight each other for air. The two front exhaust fans are doing the same thing to a lesser degree, and you get what is called negative pressure inside the PC case. The pressure difference is actually small, but the result is the fans are fighting that slight vacuum, trying to pull air into the case.

You should change the front fans to intake air into the PC case, just turn them around. What speed are all the case fans at, full speed? Normally PC case fans are made to be quiet, which means they don't move much air. The fans used by CPU coolers like yours are usually high speed fans, so we get an unbalanced exhaust vs intake, even when the front case fans are blowing into the case.

PC cooling is not as simple as just putting fans in a PC case. Fans must be configured correctly.

-------------
http://valid.x86.fr/48rujh" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 10:50pm
" rel="nofollow - Also, I have seen 1.36 volts at 4.5GHZ....is that normal? I'm assuming it is since everything is practically new.

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 10:52pm
" rel="nofollow - [URL=][/URL][URL=][/URL][URL=][/URL]I have a fan controller set to auto at about 1000 RPMs...would it be difficult to switch the fans around?

And yeah I never had the intention to Overclock until I got more comfortable with the idea of messing around with a new cooler :)

Also it seems like the max speed of the Water Cooler fan is about 1500 RPMS

Everything else is behaving wonderfully, the GPU maxes out at 72c with 50% fan speed which I think is excellent.

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 2:32am
Hey guys, little more info....

Okay I played GRW for about 45 minutes and tracked temps and usage..they are as follows
This is without V Sync on

Max core frequency 4.5ghz
Core voltage 1.35 while playing

Package temp maximum 75c
Package temp average 58c

CPU utilization

Recent Maximum 97%
Recent average 60%

My fan controller says the ambient temp is 42.5c

Posted By: clubfoot
Date Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 4:22am
" rel="nofollow - Is the AIO pump connected to the motherboard or a power supply connector? Direct power supply connection is best as the motherboard connection may vary output.

What GPU are you using?

Your 4.5GHz overclock stats seem OK but I'm curious as to what the temps are under a full cpu load while running IETU or better Realbench 2.44 stress test as your ambient temps of 42.5c and package temps of 75c are unexpected.

And definitely turn your fans around as suggested.

-------------
https://valid.x86.fr/1tkblf" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 4:49am
" rel="nofollow - [URL=][/URL]
Originally posted by clubfoot clubfoot wrote:

[URL=][/URL]Is the AIO pump connected to the motherboard or a power supply connector? Direct power supply connection is best as the motherboard connection may vary output.

What GPU are you using?

Your 4.5GHz overclock stats seem OK but I'm curious as to what the temps are under a full cpu load while running IETU or better Realbench 2.44 stress test as your ambient temps of 42.5c and package temps of 75c are unexpected.

And definitely turn your fans around as suggested.

Hey there, also isn't 1.36 core voltage kind of high for stock? I'm thinking that's where my problem is. And how do I undervolt on the AsRock z270 K6

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 5:11am
I don't have a Z270 board but on my system using HWiNFO defaults are:
cpu 4.0GHz @ 1.295 idle and 1.325 under 100% load (Realbench 2.44)
ambient temp 23c, cpu 28c idle and 61c max load.

To answer your question 1.36 at 4.5GHz is not bad at all,...depending on 100% load temps with your H50. The H50 is stretching the cooling capabilities for an overclocked i7700k IMO.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 5:22am

I don't have a Z270 board but on my system using HWiNFO defaults are:
cpu 4.0GHz @ 1.295 idle and 1.325 under 100% load (Realbench 2.44)
ambient temp 23c, cpu 28c idle and 61c max load.

To answer your question 1.36 at 4.5GHz is not bad at all,...depending on 100% load temps with your H50. The H50 is stretching the cooling capabilities for an overclocked i7700k IMO.

Okay, got ya...I turned off turbo boost and results seem to be better...I will post them in detail soon.

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 5:27am
Also, I'm not Overclocking...this is how the computer came...i just started realizing the CPU temps being a bit high. I knew this cooler wouldn't be an effective cooler for OCing but I certainly figured it would cool a non OC 7700k until I could afford a better coolers

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 5:31am
" rel="nofollow - The vcore idle is really low at .784v and spikes up to 1.344v. Your "turbo" setting must be a tested default o/c at 4.5GHz which most decent i7700k cpus can run comfortably. If your 100% load temps hover around 80ish you're good to go.

Switch those fans around as recommended :)

What video card are you using?

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 5:39am
Okay big difference here

Package Temp
Maximum 64c
Average 55c

CPU utilization
Maximum 98%
Average 63%

Core frequency 4.2ghz
Core voltage 1.25

These results are with no Turbo Boost.

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 5:41am
" rel="nofollow - [URL=][/URL]

[URL=][/URL]The vcore idle is really low at .784v and spikes up to 1.344v. Your "turbo" setting must be a tested default o/c at 4.5GHz which most decent i7700k cpus can run comfortably. If your 100% load temps hover around 80ish you're good to go.

Switch those fans around as recommended :)

What video card are you using?

Should I just flip one or both of them in the front? And will I have to re wire them? They're extremely easy to get to.
A Asus Dual Fan OC 1070, which runs amazing!

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 5:47am
Flipping them is as simple as unscrewing them and then flipping them then screwing them back on. No wiring changes needed at all.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 5:50am
" rel="nofollow -
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

Flipping them is as simple as unscrewing them and then flipping them then screwing them back on. No wiring changes needed at all.

What do you think of the results of both tests at 45 minutes a piece that I posted previously? One with Turbo Boost on and the other with it off?

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 6:00am
I think you should flip those fans, and re-enable turbo. Until you do that the numbers mean nothing. Even as things stand you will not damage your CPU, 75c for brief periods is not dangerous with intel CPUs but if you can get that down by improving your airflow in your case I would go ahead and do it.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 6:30am
Okay Xaltar I will give it my best shot and let you know how it all goes. I may even reposition my tower because it's in a rather tight spot underneath my desk, so I'll reverse the front fans and move the tower and let you know on here how it goes.

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 11:01am
Just switched the fans...wish me luck...also reactivated turbo boost.

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 11:12am
Did not work. Same temps for the most part.

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 11:17am
" rel="nofollow - Out of curiosity, what computer case do you have?

Did the case temps change?

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 11:24am
" rel="nofollow -

[URL=][/URL]Out of curiosity, what computer case do you have?

Did the case temps change?

No case temps are relatively the same
It's a corsair 450D

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 11:45am
It's so weird because everything seems a okay, and I mean things are working okay but the spikes of temp up to 75c are really worrisome and that's after only a half hour.

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 12:51pm
" rel="nofollow - Okay with V Sync off I get temps at about 63c-73c

With V Sync on I get temps at around 54c to 64c

Is this just a band aid, or just what I'll have to deal with until I get a more efficient cooler?

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 1:28pm
VSync is locking your FPS to 60, this reduces load on both the CPU and GPU. I take it you are gaming at 1080p? For vsync to make that much difference to your temps you must be pulling some insane FPS Wink

Rather than vsync I would look at your games settings, if you can bump up the quality settings all the way and maybe turn on SSAA you should be able to disable vsync, have everything look amazing and not be hitting super high FPS.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 1:44pm
On BF1 I get about 100-120 FPS, on GRW I get about 75-80 FPS. Lol but V Sync does seem to help with temps and especially temp spikes.

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 1:46pm
" rel="nofollow - And would it be safe to assume that this cooler won't cut it without adjustments to games?
(Like V Sync for example) and that I should be rushing to find a cooler or do you think I will be okay holding off a little longer?

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 2:15pm
As we said before, while 70c+ spikes isn't great it isn't a big deal either.

There is one last thing to check on your current cooler:

Open your case and look for the cable that comes off the CPU block, it should connect to one of your board's fan headers. You shouldn't need to disconnect anything, just trace the wire coming out of the block. Make a note of the header label then go into your UEFI and make sure that header is set to "Water Pump" -> "DC" -> "Full Speed".

If it wasn't before you can check your temps again after doing this. 

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 3:07pm
Okay I will do that tomorrow, hopefully I can tell what I'm looking at....lol will update you tomorrow.

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 3:12pm
I had been playing games for the last 5 hours on it, everything ran seemingly okay and I hadn't noticed any major spikes in temp, but just now wrapping up and checked the data on the tuning utility and at one point I had a spike of 76c. I didn't notice it but apparently it happened :0

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 3:48pm
Intel CPUs can spike into the 80s at times, so long as it isn't constantly at those temps you are fine. For example, on my i5 7600k when I overclock to 5ghz and start a stress test I get a spike into the mid 80s as the test begins then my fans ramp up and the temp drops to about 70c for the duration of the test. This is because even when the fans ramp up on your AiO it takes a little bit before the coolant actually cools down. Lag if you will.

So in your situation, you are playing BF1 and temps are in the mid 60s and all is right with the world, suddenly windows decides to run an update in the background and your CPU usage goes from 80% load to 99% load, the fans ramp up but by the time they have you have spiked to 76c, it was only for a moment but that is what you see on your monitoring app.

Far more important is your average temps, if those are close to the max temps and your max temps are in the high 70s - 80s then your cooler is inadequate. So:

Max temp: 90c
Avg temp: 55c

This is all good, there is no way the CPU was running anywhere close to 90c for any long period or the average couldn't possibly be 55c.

Max temp: 80c
Avg temp: 75c

Get a new cooler. While even these temps are not fatal to your system they will shorten it's lifespan.

You have to bare in mind that average temps are exactly that, the averaged temp including highs and lows. So to get an accurate reading, open your game, tab out then open your monitoring app, tab back in to the game. Once you are done playing, before quitting the game, tab out and look at your temps. If you start the monitoring app too long before you start playing the idle temps will be taken into account with your average and make your readings seem lower.

Check the settings in your UEFI for your pump as I said earlier. Once we know where you are at there we can delve into improving your temps or determine if your cooler is or isn't up to the task.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 10:48pm
" rel="nofollow - So in other words, don't worry to much into the max temp and worry more about the average temp? That is what I was doing was monitoring while playing and than when I'd finish I'd take the temps off of my monitoring app while in game. Cause within the five hours of gaming last night my max temp at one point went to 76c, what you said puts the mind a little at ease....haha

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 11:12pm
I will monitor the temps during long gaming periods, it's very obvious to me now that I should've went the extra mile on the cooler but I figured liquid cooling would be adequate no matter the cooler, but as I said I will monitor the temps during long gaming periods when I have the time and post back to this thread if anything new comes up if that's okay with all of you....thank you all for being so helpful! You guys are awesome on this forum.

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 11:15pm
It can be scary to see those higher numbers for the max, this happens more with AiO water coolers than it does with air coolers that dump heat faster when the fans spin up. When I first got my AiO I thought it may be defective because I was seeing some high temps, well above what my high end air coolers would get to. It turned out I hadn't set it up right, I had my pump (in the CPU block) attached as in PWM fan mode rather than pump mode and set to silent rather than full speed. This introduced even more lag between fans ramping up and temps going down. That is why I suggested you check yours. 

Ultimately though, even set to the "silent" profile the pump will ramp up and temps will go back down. I did find out that it is better for the pump to run at full speed all the time, it should last longer without the speedups and slowdowns given coolant flow and inertia and a bunch of other sciencey reasons Tongue

The reason we all mentioned those temps being on the high side is that you are running at stock, not overclocked. Wardog, Parsec and myself all run AiOs in our systems ranging from H100i to H110i, all 240 and 280mm radiator versions. Your temps are significantly higher than ours but your radiator is a 120mm, half or less than half the size.

So, check to make sure your pump is set to full speed in the UEFI
Make sure you have a balance of intake and exhaust fans, buy another one if you have to they are cheap.
Set your fan profile for your AiO fans to a more aggressive profile or max it out (if noise isn't a problem for you)

Then enjoy your system. Don't be afraid to dig into things, do some research, ask questions here. You are embarking on a journey where there are so many paths to take. Half the fun in owning a beastly PC is tweaking it and trying to get the most out of it.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 12:03am
" rel="nofollow - I do in fact have the fans on full speed in BIOS, so do things get a little more worrying now that that's cleared up?

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 4:42am
Okay I have the case off to look at the plug ins, the cooler is hooked into the pump and the radiator is warm to the touch

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 4:51am
" rel="nofollow - And I hadn't really noticed, but the radiator is sandwiched between two fans both facing front wars inside of the case. Is this an issue?

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 12:11pm
" rel="nofollow - Hey Xaltar, I have a question...my ambient temps are 102 degrees F in the case, could that be the reasoning? As soon as I turn V Sync on and the GPU doesn't have to work as hard presuming less heat, things starts to cool down a good 6 degrees.

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 12:29pm

" rel="nofollow - Hey Xaltar, I have a question...my ambient temps are 102 degrees F in the case, could that be the reasoning? As soon as I turn V Sync on and the GPU doesn't have to work as hard presuming less heat, things starts to cool down a good 6 degrees.

A pic of where you have the computer pigeonholed under the desk might go a long way in visually explaining your temp issue.

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 12:36pm
I really don't know how to post a picture.

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 12:44pm

I really don't know how to post a picture.

Well, do not use Dropbox. Right Xaltar? Ouch

I use http://imgsafe.org/ to host my pics. Upload it there, leaving the imgsafe page open, then follow the below.

Then create a new post here and at the top is what appears a greenish icon depicting a tree in a field. Click on it, erase the http:// that auto appears, paste your imgsafe pic link there, click Preview, then click OK at the bottom.

That's it.

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 12:47pm
Okay will do, I may even post a couple pics of the inside.

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 1:22pm

Here's one of the location of it. Hard to really tell but its kind of in a corner.....the back is about a foot from the wall, and the sides are about a foot each from the wall and the desk.

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 1:22pm

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 1:23pm

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 2:26pm
Being an Michigander till ~1 year ago, stick it outside. She'll run cool in that 25degF weather there tonight Tongue

Na. I thought you said it was buried under a desk.

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 2:31pm
With it powered down, can we get pics of the placement of the front and rear fan.

A pic through the rear at the fan will do.

Now that I see it in the open as it is I'm left wondering if the two fans on your radiator are both blowing in one direction.

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 2:33pm
" rel="nofollow - Too, how much is that one rad hose kinked? Enough to restrict flow?

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 2:34pm
If the fans on the radiator are both blowing into the radiator your temps will be high, they should both be flowing in the same direction as Wardog mentioned. I doubt they are both blowing into each-other (really noob thing to do) but it is worth checking. Pics will allow us to tell for sure.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 3:06pm
Okay guys will do

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 3:11pm
I was actually thinking the same thing earlier today TBH about the fans facing i towards each other, but I honestly cannot tell.

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 3:13pm

Okay guys will do

The front fan. A pic at the angle as pics 2 or 3 above please

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 3:17pm

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 3:18pm

the last two are the top of the case....the fan up there.

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 3:22pm
Let me know your thoughts guys....and if you have any advice on how to get some more airflow into the case...let me know. I am all ears...for now my friends, I'm gonna hit the hay....I look forward to reading responses. Thanks again you all on this forum...you have all been extremely helpful and I truly appreciate it. Talk tomorrow.

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 3:54pm
" rel="nofollow - Orientation is good so no problems there.

The one thing that I can see that is diminishing your AiO cooling performance is not the orientation of the fans but rather the fans themselves. They are the correct type (high static pressure) but they are aftermarket and tuned for silent operation. This means that even at full speed they are not pushing enough air. 

You could pick up something like these:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181027&cm_re=SP120-_-35-181-027-_-Product       (copy paste link)

Corsair's High Static Pressure fans always have an "SP" prefix then the fan size. The ones I linked are beastly and will make a lot of noise but they also push almost double the air of your current Enermax Twister Pressure fans.

Your temps are not great with the current setup but they are not terrible either. Whoever built the system for you was clearly going for a silence>performance setup. This isn't a bad thing, a lot of people prefer silence to cooling performance (so long as everything is within tolerance). If you want to tinker and improve things as well as possibly overclock in the future then I would pick up the fans I linked and have them installed for you. It would probably be best to have the person who built the setup do it for you, they know the build and if you have a warranty it saves you headaches later on. You could also ask them if they have the stock fans for the AiO, the ones on there did no come with the AiO cooler, it could save you some pennies if they can just slap the originals back on there for you.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 11:05pm
That makes sense and I can't really have the creator work on it as I have no idea who he is. But those fans have me intrigued for sure, my system is very quiet for the most part....you can hear the fans but not bad at all. Not much air comes out the back which might be the reason why it's a little hotter.

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 2:24am

Not much air comes out the back which might be the reason why it's a little hotter.

So much for quiet fans.

Time to invest in new capable radiator fans to cool the CPU.

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 2:30am
Yup, silent fans on a 240 or 280mm radiator you can get away with or even on a 120 with something like an i3 but a balls out 7700k needs some proper airflow with that 120mm radiator.

I personally like it when my stock H105 fans ramp up, sounds like something beastly is happening inside my case, a little like the roar of an exhaust on a v8, makes me smile every time Evil Smile

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 2:44am
" rel="nofollow - Okay that all makes sense I suppose, I will look into some good case fans and see if I can't install them myself. Should be interesting......my temps will be good for the most part though right? So I shouldn't be afraid to use it?

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 2:49am
I think the current fans only go to 1620RPMs

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 2:58am

YI personally like it when my stock H105 fans ramp up, sounds like something beastly is happening inside my case, a little like the roar of an exhaust on a v8, makes me smile every time Evil Smile

Me likes hearing that

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 3:43pm
" rel="nofollow - Hey everyone, long time no talk...I recently installed a brand new Water Cooler (the H100i v2) but now alas, another problem! I have no USB 2.0 headers on my MOBO, surely there is something I can do to operate the liquid cooler through software?

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 3:58pm
Try this: https://www.nzxt.com/products/internal-usb-hub" rel="nofollow - https://www.nzxt.com/products/internal-usb-hub

I have their previous version in one of my other PCs and it's been trouble free. Connect your other usb connections to it and plug the cooler directly to the mother board. For more fun you can add sub sticks to the internal usb ports on the card :)

As far as the rad and fan I would have installed the rad to the top of the case infront of the top case fan already installed with one fan blowing through it and the other fan left over at the back to help move  air over the VRMs. You would have two fans, one at the top (rear) and one at the rear (back) both exhausting the case and helping to cool the VRMs and move the hot air from the video card out and mostly not through the rad.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 4:08pm
You have 3 USB 2.0 headers on your board right at the bottom under the bottom PCIe slot. 

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 11:48pm
" rel="nofollow - Xaltar, so those are USB 2.0 headers? I thought so but everyone insisted they weren't on another forum last night. Lol. Should've just went with my instincts I guess

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 11:52pm
Yeah I put it in last night without the link, temps were not much better than previous cooler so maybe some software adjustments will help. Clubfoot, I have it setup where the two fans at the front of the case are pulling air through the case through the top of the rad, and the fan at the back of the case pushing hot air out. I have the fans that came with the rad attached to the back of the rad inside the case pushing air out, and the rad installed on the top of the case, with the tubing parallel to the DVD drive....let me tell you...this was quite an experience for an absolute noob. Hahaha

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 11:56pm
Make sure the fan header the pump is connected to is set to "water pump" -> DC -> full power. Then you can try different fan curves for the fans until you find the best balance of quiet (low load) and temps.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 11:59pm
" rel="nofollow - [URL=][/URL][URL=][/URL]

Make sure the fan header the pump is connected to is set to "water pump" -> DC -> full power. Then you can try different fan curves for the fans until you find the best balance of quiet (low load) and temps.

Xaltar, how exactly do I do that....I think I have the pump plugged into the OPT fan port where the other one was, is this okay....and how do I change these settings? I'm assuming through BIOS?

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 12:09am
Yup, in the UEFI. Make a note of the name of the header then set it in the UEFI as I mentioned. The H100i is a great cooler and will be more than adequate for your system. 

Let us know how the temps are after you have made the tweaks I suggested.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 12:14am
Will do my friend, yeah I did some research and decided on this one and copied someone else's layout for the cooler, fits nicely up top and looks good....do need to work on my cable management though... hahahaha. Temps haven't been much different than previous cooler yet though, will make the tweaks you suggested via BIOS and attach the Corsair Link when I get home from work.

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 12:15am
" rel="nofollow - If you could, could you give me a layout on where to go in BIOS to change those settings? Thanks!

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 12:30am
" rel="nofollow - Also, for some reason my RPMs according to bios are the same as the other cooler 1450 RPMS, that can't be the case right?

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 2:54am
" rel="nofollow - Okay I did all you asked Xaltar, and load temps seem better during gaming, BUT now I'm not so sure if this is normal and I sit right next to my desktop so I hear things in there better than most probably but there's a sort of whirring noise seemingly coming from the radiator or something, is that normal behavior?

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 3:02am
Seems as though my GPU is making an extremely annoying buzzing noise while under load

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 3:03am
Oh and also, when I went to corsair Linkn and set the pump on performance mode it seemed to start fluctuating fan speeds really frequently and than when I'd set it to balanced its go back down and stay consistent

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 3:33am
Okay nevermind, marginal difference in temps, not sure how....but Barely a difference from the other cooler

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 6:05am
>> Seems as though my GPU is making an extremely annoying buzzing noise while under load.
It's probably the fans ramping up. Try a fixed fan rpm of say 70% if it's not too loud.

>>Oh and also, when I went to corsair Linkn and set the pump on performance mode it seemed to start fluctuating fan speeds really frequently and than when I'd set it to balanced its go back down and stay consistent.
The pump has its own profile of quiet and performance. Quiet is >2300 rpm and performance is > 2700 rpm. Whereas the fans/system can be set to quiet, balance and performance.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 6:06am
" rel="nofollow - Yeah guys, BIOS has me at 1450 RPM on the Water Pump, I feel that isn't full speed because I know this thing has 3000 RPM max. What's the deal?

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 6:07am

>>
Seems as though my GPU is making an extremely annoying buzzing noise while under load.
It's probably the fans ramping up. Try a fixed fan rpm of say 70% if it's not too loud.

>>Oh and also, when I went to corsair Linkn and set the pump on
performance mode it seemed to start fluctuating fan speeds really
frequently and than when I'd set it to balanced its go back down and
stay consistent.
The pump has its own profile of quiet and performance. Quiet is >2300 rpm and performance is > 2700 rpm. Whereas the fans/system can be set to quiet, balance and performance.

Yeah the Graphics card is sounding annoying but it sounds like a coil whine, it's still working great :) just annoying sound

As for the pump, I'm not noticing much better temps than my previous 120mm cooler, something isn't right...

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 6:09am
Also there's a whirring sound but it sounds like normal operation. I'm idling at around 31 to 32c

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 6:16am
" rel="nofollow -

Yeah the Graphics card is sounding annoying but it sounds like a coil whine, it's still working great :) just annoying sound

As for the pump, I'm not noticing much better temps than my previous 120mm cooler, something isn't right...

what's your ambient temp?

Some video cards have that issue :(

Plug your pump directly into an SATA/molex power supply connector and use Link to select the pump speed from quiet to performance.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net