Forum Description: Question about ASRock Intel Motherboards
URL: https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4652
Printed Date: 06 May 2024 at 4:46am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: ASMedia USB3.1 not working
Posted By: FijiJohn
Subject: ASMedia USB3.1 not working
Date Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 5:47am
" rel="nofollow - The ASMedia 3.1 (both C and A ports) on my Z270 Extreme4 are not working. I tried updating the driver to the latest I could find (1.16.38.1) but it makes no difference. I have 5v power but no devices connect. With both the old driver and the new one, I sometimes see a drive letter in device manager for a few seconds, then it goes to "unknown device." Suggestions?
(FWIW, in another place I found the recommendation to use Driver Booster. It found eight "outdated" drivers but said the USB3.1 driver was the latest. After DB updated my drivers, my computer would not boot. Fortunately, I had a fresh backup [TrueIamge]. Altho TI said the restore would not boot, it does.)

-------------
John

Replies:
Posted By: parsec
Date Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 7:38am
Originally posted by FijiJohn FijiJohn wrote:

" rel="nofollow - The ASMedia 3.1 (both C and A ports) on my Z270 Extreme4 are not working. I tried updating the driver to the latest I could find (1.16.38.1) but it makes no difference. I have 5v power but no devices connect. With both the old driver and the new one, I sometimes see a drive letter in device manager for a few seconds, then it goes to "unknown device." Suggestions?
(FWIW, in another place I found the recommendation to use Driver Booster. It found eight "outdated" drivers but said the USB3.1 driver was the latest. After DB updated my drivers, my computer would not boot. Fortunately, I had a fresh backup [TrueIamge]. Altho TI said the restore would not boot, it does.)

What version of Windows are you using?

I have a similar board, the Z270 Gaming K6, with the Asmedia USB 3.0/3.1 XHCI Driver ver:1.16.38.1 installed. This board has the same two USB 3.1 ports, the standard and a USB Type C.

I have a (supposedly) USB 3.1 flash drive, and a USB 3.0 flash drive with a type C connector. Both work fine, I can have both connected at the same time and display picture files from each without any problems. No waiting for the pictures to be displayed, the performance is very fast.

I have Windows 10 configured to automatically open and display the files in Windows Explorer when a USB flash drive is connected. The Explorer windows opens very quickly when the drives are connected to the IO panel. How do you have USB flash drive connections configured?

I've tried multiple USB flash drives on those USB ports, and they all worked fine. I just copied 4GB+ from one USB flash drive to another between the two ASMedia USB 3.1 ports, and it worked fine.

How did you install the basic drivers for your OS installation on that PC? Is it a fresh Windows installation? The TI backup that booted is curious, and makes me wonder about your Windows installation.

You should have a Device Manager entry for the ASMedia USB3.1 eXtensible Host Controller. If you check that Device Manager entry, the events and resources tabs, do you see any problems or errors shown?

Using Drive Booster was an obvious mistake. Any idea what drivers were updated? It obviously has no clue how to do what it is supposed to do. Many basic drivers require a restart of the PC after it has been installed, delaying that with multiple drivers is a mistake. Don't bother using that program again.

New drivers are not always better drivers, there are many cases of new driver versions that were later removed due to problems, even from sources such as Intel and Nvidia.

About all I can suggest at this point is to uninstall the USB 3.1 driver installed now, restart the PC, and install the ASMedia version 1.16.38.1 driver again. ASMedia driver installers usually offer you to check the driver installation log when the driver installation is complete.

It is potentially possible that the ASMedia 3.1 chip on your board is not working, but it is too early to decide that is true.

-------------
http://valid.x86.fr/48rujh" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 8:32am
Thank you for the good info. This is a fresh Win 10 Pro install. I used the CD to install the driver. However, before I got to the ASMedia driver Win10 installed one on its own (which did not work). I then installed the 1.16.38.1 driver. It's as if it ALMOST works, giving me a drive letter, and even sometimes pops up a window for E: drive, but then it goes away. If I use a flash drive the light starts rapidly flashing for a while and then I get error messages. I have tried two different USB3.0 flash drives and a USB 3.1 to SATA dock cable (Startouch). Same behavior  for all.
And yes, I have it configured to open a window and show files. (It sometimes does pop open a window but there no files get listed.)
I have tried removing and re-installing but it did not help. Starting to feel like it's a bad chip.

-------------
John

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 8:47am
" rel="nofollow - I should have provided more info I suspect, but not sure what else to say. I am using a Samsung 960 EVO M.2 and other than the 3.1 ports, I am loving this motherboard. The boot time and app launch times are really short. :) I am using both USB3 headers for four USB ports in the front. Just more convenient than using the ports on the back. I work on a lot of machines and do a lot with multiple drives so USB3 docks and front ports are really nice.

I just tried once more, using the ASMedia driver to remove the old one, reboot, and install 1.16.38.1 again. No change. Any other things to try?

-------------
John

Posted By: wardog
Date Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 9:14am
Give me a sec .......

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 10:06am
" rel="nofollow - That's the latest version of the driver.

What sticks are you using, and, is an external/internal USB Hub or Reader involved here?

BIOS > Advanced > USB Configuration ; Enable "XHCI Hand-off" , reboot, and retry.

Please post back your results after performing the above.

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 10:08am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

" rel="nofollow - That's the latest version of the driver.

What sticks are you using, and, is an external/internal USB Hub or Reader involved here?

BIOS > Advanced > USB Configuration ; Enable "XHCI Hand-off" , reboot, and retry.

Please post back your results after performing the above.

BIOS > Advanced > USB Configuration ; Enable "XHCI Hand-off" , Save and Exit, reboot, and retry.

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 11:00am
Thank you, but it did not change anything.

-------------
John

Posted By: no1yak
Date Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 9:52pm
I also have problems with Asmedia 3.1. If I try to use any ASM drivers then the 3.1 ports don't work.
Go back to MS driver and everything works as it should.

My board is a Z270 Gaming K6, running Win 10 Pro x64, with latest updates.  No problem using Microsoft driver.  Don't know what ASM chip Asrock is using on this board but, my Asus Hero IX has the same problem and that chip is a ASM 2142.

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 5:06am
Same Win 10 Pro x64, with latest updates here. However, in my case the Microsoft 1.10 driver (10.0.14393.0 rs1_release) does NOT work. I get the same behavior as with the ASMedia driver.

-------------
John

Posted By: parsec
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 9:24am

" rel="nofollow - I should have provided more info I suspect, but not sure what else to say. I am using a Samsung 960 EVO M.2 and other than the 3.1 ports, I am loving this motherboard. The boot time and app launch times are really short. :) I am using both USB3 headers for four USB ports in the front. Just more convenient than using the ports on the back. I work on a lot of machines and do a lot with multiple drives so USB3 docks and front ports are really nice.

I just tried once more, using the ASMedia driver to remove the old one, reboot, and install 1.16.38.1 again. No change. Any other things to try?

Well, those USB ports should just work, the experience of no1yak with the MS driver is interesting. Intel 100 and 200 series chipset boards with Windows 10 will use the MSoft USB 3.0 driver on the USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports, and 3.1 ports. Unless we install another driver.

FijiJohn's and my same board uses the ASMedia ASM2142 USB 3.1 chip.

My Win 10 installation of course had the MSoft driver installed first, and I installed the ASMedia driver later. I see two entries in the Dev Manager Driver File Details, asmtxhcicoinstaller.dll and asmtxhci.sys.

I have default UEFI/BIOS settings in the USB Configuration screen, meaning XHCI disabled.

Very difficult to know if the chip is really bad, but it might be. If you insert a flash drive, and VERY carefully press on it in a horizontal direction back and forth, to test the contacts inside the socket and the solder connection of the USB 3.1 port, if you suddenly get a connection, you'll know there is a problem with the board most likely.

Otherwise, I'll just list some random ideas:

Installing the ASMedia driver again was successful? Right clicked it and select Run as administrator?

Are you connection devices directly to the USB 3.1 ports, or through a hub or extension cable? I know external drive will have a cable.

Did you check the Events tab of Device Manager for the ASMedia 3.1 Controller, for possible hints?

If you click the View All Events button in the Events tab, the Windows Event Viewer will open, and you can see the history of driver installations, etc.

Windows Power Plan, Advanced settings, USB selective suspend, set to Enabled by default. Try disabling it.

In the UEFI/BIOS, USB Configuration, Third Party USB Controllers should be enabled by default.

Also, Legacy USB support, enabled by default (mine is enabled), try disabling it.

OMG dude, you really are in Fiji! Shocked  I'll give you my board if I can be magically transported there!

-------------
http://valid.x86.fr/48rujh" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 10:23am
*Installing the ASMedia driver again was successful? Right clicked it and select Run as administrator?
Correct.

*Are you connecting devices directly to the USB 3.1 ports
Yes.

*Did you check the Events tab of Device Manager for the ASMedia 3.1 Controller, for possible hints?
Yes. Nothing much there but the expected "Device deleted - Device configured (USBXHCI) - Device Started"

*Windows Power Plan, Advanced settings, USB selective suspend, set to Enabled by default. Try disabling it.
No difference.

*Legacy USB support, enabled by default (mine is enabled), try disabling it.
Working right now but will do so next time I reboot.

*OMG dude, you really are in Fiji! Shocked  I'll give you my board if I can be magically transported there!
Sorry, I am short of magic. However, I can tell you that life on a tropical island is quite nice. :) I am in Savusavu, on Vanua Levu, 2nd biggest town on 2nd biggest island in Fiji. Only major drawback is a complete shortage of anyone on the island who knows as much as I do about computers. (I have never considered myself an "expert", altho I employed some REALLY good coders and techs who qualified as experts. But, "In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.")
I'm retired and play with a laser engraver and wood shop when not out fishing (or working on somebody's computers that the locals can't fix). I do appreciate the suggestions. I kinda feel like I am back in Win95/98 driver hell all over again.

-------------
John

Posted By: no1yak
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 4:54pm
" rel="nofollow -

Same Win 10 Pro x64, with latest updates here. However, in my case the Microsoft 1.10 driver (10.0.14393.0 rs1_release) does NOT work. I get the same behavior as with the ASMedia driver.

Have you contacted ASrock support ? They may suggest that you RMA the board.

One thing I have noticed is that the speed of their ports slows down the longer they are in use. I use Macrium Reflect to back up my system to a USB 3.0 HD and using an Intel port the transfer speed is very nearly constant. Switch to the ASM 3.1 and everything starts off OK , then slows down to a crawl, same  data and same USB HD.

I will admit that I'm not a fan of Asmedia, so I avoid using any of their stuff if at all possible.
Hope you get it sorted out.  

Pete.

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 7:16am
Thanks Pete. I went ahead and contacted support. They suggested I update the BIOS (after confirming that the 1.2 BIOS did indeed have that problem with USB 3.1. I have now done so and the 3.1 ports work fine. (I have not yet tested to see if I get a slow down, but expect I probably will see the same thing you do.)
Vinaka! ('Thanks' in Fijian)

-------------
John

Posted By: ASRock_TSD
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 7:05pm
Dear FijiJohn,

Greetings, this is ASRock TSD.

On latest BIOS P1.40, we enhance the signal of the ports.

And we have tested lots of different kind of USB devices and all works fine.

Please refer below link to upgrade latest BIOS P1.40 for trying again.
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z270%20Extreme4/index.asp#BIOS" rel="nofollow - http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z270%20Extreme4/index.asp#BIOS

Thanks!

All the best,
ASRock TSD

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net