Forum Description: Question about ASRock AMD motherboards
URL: https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4750
Printed Date: 27 Jul 2024 at 4:30pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Asrock X370 Taichi error code 07
Posted By: Asylum
Subject: Asrock X370 Taichi error code 07
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 11:38am
" rel="nofollow - I updated my bios through the instant flash utility (I did not use Windows) with the new version 1.94A and it said that it completed successfully, hit enter to reboot.  It didn't freeze or crash (was still acting stable and responded when I hit enter by promptly rebooting), I was not overclocking, and everything was set to default out of the box settings except for setting up a RAID and I forced the CPU pump fan header to run at full speed so my pump would not be throttled. Now it keeps displaying error code 07 on the debug led. I have removed all but one RAM stick, removed all USB devices, reset the bios by a jumper and the button on the I/O shield, and I have removed the battery while having the PSU unplugged while doing all those. Is my motherboard bricked or is there possibly some way to fix it?

I would like to add that prior to this problem I'm experiencing, the motherboard was working perfectly out of the box.  I was able to install Windows and everything was stable.  I only updated to the beta 1.94A because of all the new features/fixes that people mentioned which piqued my curiosity and I never had any problems with beta bios on any of my previous motherboards ever before, so I felt confident in giving it a try.  The fact that it said it completed successfully and responded as though everything went smoothly puts me at a loss as to why it won't post anymore.  It's a pain having to tear down my system after just getting the motherboard two days ago.  If there's any possible way it can be fixed, I am open to suggestions.

Replies:
Posted By: wardog
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 12:13pm
" rel="nofollow - Let's see if we can get you back running

07 relates to memory. Please see pg33, Sec. 2.8' Dr. Debug

Try this, with the mem in slots A2 and B2 before powering up, and post the results please(yea, I read your post fully, humor me):
http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=630&title=how-to-clear-cmos-via-battery-removal

Failing that, please post the memory Kit number you have.

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 1:16pm
Thanks.  I will try this out and report back.

ETA: The exact model of my ram is G.SKILL TridentZ F4-3866C18D-16GTZKW

It's not listed on the QVL but it didn't have any issues and using Windows worked just fine.  I believe they are SR Samsung ICs.

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 6:06pm
I first tried 10 minutes, then tried for 4 hours.  Same error code 07.

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by Asylum Asylum wrote:

I first tried 10 minutes, then tried for 4 hours.  Same error code 07.

Hmmm ........ that sux.

Let's try a simple BIOS clearing, no battery out, first with only one stick in A2

If that fails do the clear BIOS, no battery out, with the other stick in A2

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 6:32pm
Just got through doing that, but it's still stopping on the same error. Unhappy

Also, thank you for trying to help me.

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 12:49pm
I just went to the store and bought another set of RAM to see if I could get past the "07" code, but it still does the same thing.  I tried a single one in all slots and both sticks in both channels. No change.  I also tried formatting a usb stick to FAT32 and placing a bios file in the root directory and spamming F6 in both usb 3.0 and 2.0 and it didn't have any effect (though after searching the forum, I found this method was completely useless)... 

This process has been nothing but frustrating.  Bios updates on the AM4 platform will be almost mandatory if not highly recommended due to all the bug fixes and memory enhancements that are coming in the near future.  That fact alone should have made having a recovery feature also mandatory.  This means nobody can ever fully trust performing a bios update because in my experience even if it says it was successful it might not have been and if the bios update fails you're completely screwed.  All this is going to do for Asrock is make the people that buy an Asrock AM4 motherboard second guess even trying to update the bios due to the HUGE possibility that their hard earned money could just instantly be flushed down the toilet after the return policy and warranties run out...  Luckily I'm still within my return window, but I can only hope that if somebody finds this thread it will serve as a warning to them so that they can second guess purchasing one of these and they can avoid having to go through the same headache I have gone through the past 2 days losing sleep with trying to solve an unfixable issue that could have EASILY been prevented in the first place.  If the reason for not including that feature was to aim for a certain price range then it can be compared to the illogical equivalent of a car manufacturer not including windshield wipers. This almost seems like it's an insult gesture towards AMD  because if you check out the Z270 Taichi it actually does have a way to recover the bios.

Posted By: wormy
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 1:19pm
Same here. Updated from 1.60 to 1.94A. After reboot, error code 07. Tried every possible combination, but still appears. Angry
I was hoping for a recovery method, but to no avail. I will return the mobo and get a new one from Asrock competitors... Thumbs Down

Stay away from that update!

Posted By: kingsims
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 1:39pm
" rel="nofollow - Hey,

I have the same issue as you.. Except my error code is 46. Again its memory related according to the Dr Debug codes. Oddly enough i think the memory banks are toast because my memory is G Skill Trident RGB and doesn't lights don't show up when they did before. Either that or MB killed the memory sticks (Have not had a chance to test them as i don't have a spare DD4 capable MB). Error occurs with memory or without.

Interestingly my issue started when i moved the memory from Banks A1 A2 to A1 B1 for dual channel. Failed to Post moving it back made no difference. 

Looks another user had the issue. Bad Flash/Bios Block checksum issues...

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4693&title=x370-k4-bios-update-fail-to-post-after

Also running BIOS 1.94A... Lodged a ticket with Asrock Support to confirm if there is away i can recover the BIOS chip or if they mail me out a a new bios chip. Going to retailer tomorrow to lodge a RMA job since i get a store credit and just get another one if its within 14 days.

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 1:46pm

I just went to the store and bought another set of RAM to see if I could get past the "07" code, but it still does the same thing.  I tried a single one in all slots and both sticks in both channels. No change.  I also tried formatting a usb stick to FAT32 and placing a bios file in the root directory and spamming F6 in both usb 3.0 and 2.0 and it didn't have any effect (though after searching the forum, I found this method was completely useless)... 

This process has been nothing but frustrating.  Bios updates on the AM4 platform will be almost mandatory if not highly recommended due to all the bug fixes and memory enhancements that are coming in the near future.  That fact alone should have made having a recovery feature also mandatory.  This means nobody can ever fully trust performing a bios update because in my experience even if it says it was successful it might not have been and if the bios update fails you're completely screwed.  All this is going to do for Asrock is make the people that buy an Asrock AM4 motherboard second guess even trying to update the bios due to the HUGE possibility that their hard earned money could just instantly be flushed down the toilet after the return policy and warranties run out...  Luckily I'm still within my return window, but I can only hope that if somebody finds this thread it will serve as a warning to them so that they can second guess purchasing one of these and they can avoid having to go through the same headache I have gone through the past 2 days losing sleep with trying to solve an unfixable issue that could have EASILY been prevented in the first place.  If the reason for not including that feature was to aim for a certain price range then it can be compared to the illogical equivalent of a car manufacturer not including windshield wipers. This almost seems like it's an insult gesture towards AMD  because if you check out the Z270 Taichi it actually does have a way to recover the bios.

All I'll say is AMD screwed the pooch on Ryzens release.

As such, ASRock, and all the other manufacturers too, didn't get but a few weeks FINAL testing before AMD released processors for sale to the public.

There's more yet that about sums up how hastily AMD rushed Ryzen out the door.

Look in the other manufacturers Forums. Hell, just a few days ago MSI pulled their BIOSes down, for some reason I'm sure.

First Adopters are paying their dues. This round anyways.

I'll say what I always say, and this advice is more pertinent considering Ryzens ground up brand spankin' new architecture ..................

Don't be a guinea pig and chase that magical BIOS just yet. Wait, be patient, and read of others headaches for them leading the way. Follow cautiously, but don't lead. And if you've read many of my posts, I'm not a follower. Hardly. NOT!

This Ryzen memory fiasco happening now with ALL AM4 motherboard manufacturers will mature in short time. Trust me.

wormy, good luck with any competitors board. It's not the processor nor motherboard that you and Asylum suffer, it's all memory related.

Ryzen has very strict memory requirements. Meaning one can't just slap any ol' memory on an AM4 board and expect it to function from one BIOS to the next one released THREE days later. BETA no less.

C'mon and let's keep our wits tempered and not let anger cause us to do something ridiculous like switch MB's when you'll likely be facing the exact same issue.

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by kingsims kingsims wrote:

Interestingly my issue started when i moved the memory from Banks A1 A2 to A1 B1 for dual channel. Failed to Post moving it back made no difference.

Ummm........ A2 and B2 are for Dual Channel using two sticks !

The User Manual that was included with purchase, pg23

and the below link too next to Memory

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X370%20Taichi/#Specification" rel="nofollow - http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X370%20Taichi/#Specification

Too, the BIOS chip is not socketed, thus it is not User exchangeable/replaceable.

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 3:00pm
" rel="nofollow - Hi Wardog,
I don't want to switch the mobo, but still. Dual-bios or another way to recover from this bios update is necessary.
I was looking forward for this motherboard and waited for weeks for it to be available in store across Romania.
And now, i have to RMA this motherboard and wait for couple of weeks for it to be fixed or get a new one because stocks are depleted.
I will try another set of ram, just in case CMK32GX4M2A2400C14 are not compatible with latest bios update.

Still, I don't get who's angry? I'm not angry. I am disappointed and frustrated.

Posted By: Xaltar
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 3:31pm
Disappointment and frustration is perfectly understandable. All Wardog meant was that in this particular situation (regarding Ryzen) these issues are beyond any manufacturer's control. Keeping cool and calm is the only way to work through issues Wink

Without context, statements about replacing with other brands can only be seen as anger with the product. Now that you mention stock issues however the statement comes across entirely differently.

That is the problem with text based communication in general, it is very easy to get the wrong idea or give the wrong impression. We are here to help, any offense perceived in any of our (moderator's) comments is unintentional.

These Ryzen issues have been very tricky for us as we moderators have not yet gotten our hands on systems of our own to test. We are forced to hunt for information and try to make sense of it. Issues with Hynix memory chips for example is a relatively new revelation that we have only recently become aware of. We are at least as frustrated as you are without the means to actually get our hands into a system and figure it all out for ourselves. We are doing our very best to keep on top of the current trends, discoveries and information regarding Ryzen and will continue to assist where we can here on the forums.

Let us know how it goes with the different memory. 

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 3:40pm
" rel="nofollow -
Originally posted by wormy wormy wrote:

till, I don't get who's angry? I'm not angry. I am disappointed and frustrated.

Oh, my apologies. No ones angry but me. Chalk it up to a Bad Day.

And copy corsair needs a swift kick in their nuttsack. No Z270 nor AM4 are listed in their online Memory Finder. None. From ANY motherboard manufacturer. I just can't recommend them w/o them correcting that boner.

How can I? If I can't verify compatible memory they offer, then neither can the(their!) consumer. And yourself and many MANY more here are in the same boat because of their laziness.

Buy G.Skill. They have THE most up-to-date Memory Configurator there is.
http://www.gskill.com/en/configurator?manu=52&chip=0&model=0

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 3:52pm
" rel="nofollow -
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Don't be a guinea pig and chase that magical BIOS just yet. Wait, be patient, and read of others headaches for them leading the way. Follow cautiously, but don't lead. And if you've read many of my posts, I'm not a follower. Hardly. NOT!

I understand you here, but the fact still remains that early adopters of this platform will have to update bios in order to fix bugs and improve performance. As you know AMD has been steadily releasing microcode updates and the only way to receive them is through a bios update.  Are we just suppose to wait until Asrock makes a final bios version and just never update? By the time they include all of the fixes, Ryzen 2 will be here and possibly a whole new chipset and/or motherboard.

It's not the processor nor motherboard that you and Asylum suffer, it's all memory related.

You're right that it's a memory support issue, but that doesn't excuse the fact that if something goes wrong the only solution is to hope it fails before the 30 day return is up or be forced to ship your motherboard back to Asrock for repairs while you no longer have a computer to use for weeks while you wait for a replacement...  In this day and age, having a computer is kind of important. If the problem I was having was due to memory it doesn't explain how out of the box it worked just fine but magically stopped with a newer bios considering the main reasoning behind releasing newer versions is to improve support for RAM not take it away... kinda ironic, don't you think? lol

C'mon and let's keep our wits tempered and not let anger cause us to do something ridiculous like switch MB's when you'll likely be facing the exact same issue.

I'm not exactly "angry", I'm just disappointed... out of all the motherboards I was looking at this one was the most attractive to me so I took the plunge and bought it despite it not having a recovery feature because my experience with other motherboards that didn't have recovery never had an issue like this. Yes, there might be a possibility that I'd run in to the same problem with another brand, but if I did go with another brand I would've at least had way to recover instead of just being screwed with Asrock's solution.  I would have just "flipped a switch" and off I go or via Asus' method with a usb stick.  This also ignores the fact all the other manufacturers had NO PROBLEMS implementing this kind of solution on their AM4 boards yet Asrock only wanted to include that option on their Intel boards. It can't be due to a different bios implementation vs. the Intel motherboards.  If that was the case, explain all the other brands being able to include a backup feature and yet Asrock mysteriously deciding against it ONLY on their AM4 boards... kinda hard to overlook that fact, sorry.  I'm not saying that I would not buy from Asrock again in the future, but it's hard to recommend any of their current AM4 motherboards due to this glaring issue.  Money doesn't grow on trees.

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 4:40pm
" rel="nofollow -

............ but the fact still remains that early adopters of this platform will have to update bios in order to fix bugs and improve performance. As you know AMD has been steadily releasing microcode updates and the only way to receive them is through a bios update.  Are we just suppose to wait until Asrock makes a final bios version and just never update? By the time they include all of the fixes, Ryzen 2 will be here and possibly a whole new chipset and/or motherboard.

No. Yet as an early adopter you fully accept, or you should anyways, that there will be things that need ironed out

In this day and age, having a computer is kind of important. If the problem I was having was due to memory it doesn't explain how out of the box it worked just fine but magically stopped with a newer bios considering the main reasoning behind releasing newer versions is to improve support for RAM not take it away... kinda ironic, don't you think? lol

Having a computer as an important must _and_ being an early adopter are not synonymous. See above.

In my little walled off corner of world, I tend to be a first adopter. But I manage that urge with temperance that I don't go chasing BIOSes around until proven that indeed flashing will solve an issue I'm having. Here, with Ryzen, the memory compatibility issue(s) are penned on websites and forums from here to kingdom come.

As I stated earlier concerning Corsairs Memory Finder. This issue only serves to complicate an already precarious issue relating to folks who bought Corsairs products and attempt blindly to get their Corsair sticks and Kits of memory to work on an AM4 board. All the while not knowing if their memory IS compatible.

To answer why on one BIOS yours did and a later release it didn't. Consider the BIOS Engineer tightened up compatibility? Ryzen is designed to run on a CR/N/T of 1. It is required of SMT that it be 1. Not 2 like a lot of kits. 1. I'm making a statement there that I can't back up yet it is very feasible that is what's happening.

Were you aware. Ryzen has it's own built in "Boot Failure Guard". Three or four attempts at booting with incorrect/unworkable memory and or User specified settings fail it resets the BIOS to a safe setting that will allow it to boot. At Defaults.

A completely new CPU architecture. That fact alone should have been a BIG caution to anyone with only one computer to rely on for their life's work.

edited for clarification

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 1:37am
Got home with 2 different model of dimm's.
The problems is still there. Error code 07.
Tomorrow I will send the motherboard in service and hope will get it fixed soon.
The problems is that there is no Taichi in stocks everywhere in Romania. :(

Posted By: Brandon
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 1:49am
1.Remove CPU
2.Remove all Ram.
3.Set bios jumper to clear cmos.
4. Remove the mobo battery.
Let it sit for a hour then reinstall everything.

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 1:58am
" rel="nofollow - Why do you think removing CPU is needed? :) Tried it, but after removing the CPU, i'm not putting it back until new/replaced mobo. 

Posted By: Brandon
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 2:07am
I've brought several boards back from the dead with that method...Do as you wish :). Looks like your stuck in a bios loop after a completed flash.A CPU removal and reinstall will usually solve that issue.

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by Brandon Brandon wrote:

I've brought several boards back from the dead with that method...Do as you wish :). Looks like your stuck in a bios loop after a completed flash.A CPU removal and reinstall will usually solve that issue.
I took it completely apart once (including removing the CPU), and I put it all back together just to troubleshoot even further (including trying different RAM) and it didn't make a difference.

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 1:44am
I took the board in service yesterday and it got sent to the importer.
Today I got a refund  for it and with that I order a new Taichi. Should get it by Friday. :)
With the new one I will wait for a non-beta bios. :)

Posted By: senthilbaboo
Date Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 10:56am
" rel="nofollow - Were you able to resolve this error?

I am getting same error code 46. I tried everything, including going to store, buying new RAM and trying with that.

Did it ever work for you, or you returned the motherboard?

Posted By: kingsims
Date Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 5:06pm
I had to RMA my board to resolve error 46. Was not faulty RAM, probably something on the bios chip itself. Got full refund from my shop, unfortunately there were no extras in stock so i had to go with another vendor or wait 1 month for a new shipment to come in.

Posted By: mio
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 5:46pm
Just for reference, if someone else finds this thread. Maybe I can save him/her a few hours of frustration.

Asrock X370 Taichi. Error code 46 with reboot loop: I didn't install the DDR4 module properly.

I know it sounds silly and I feel like a fool but to my excuse I have to say that I assembled quite a lot of PCs before and I checked and reinserted the modules several times (but I got it wrong nevertheless). I got suspicious as I got the same error with no memory modules at all - this might be a way to check if you have the same problem.

It has to be done really properly: press firmly until you hear a click on one side then firmly press down the other side too. I had these installation problems on both memory slots that I used.

It may not hurt to press the CMOS clear button on the back panel before restarting (but I don't think that was what solved the issue).

Working RAM modules: Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB (32GB Kit), DDR4-2666, CL16-18-18 (BLS2C16G4D26BFSE)

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net