Forum Description: Question about ASRock AMD motherboards
URL: https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4817
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 6:41pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: X370 Taichi SATA SSD goes missing
Posted By: GenesisDoes
Subject: X370 Taichi SATA SSD goes missing
Date Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 1:14am
" rel="nofollow - Everything is working fine now on the X370 Taichi except for one weird issue where my SATA SSD goes missing.< ="chrome-extension://hhojmcideegachlhfgfdhailpfhgknjm/web_accessible_resources/index.js">

I have 2 drives in the M.2 ports and 3 (2 HDD, 1 SSD) in the SATA ports. The 1 SSD goes missing when I power on the machine if it was powered off for more than 1 hour (overnight for example). It only detects it again when I remove the SATA power cable and reinsert it. 

If the system was off for under 1 hour and I power it on again, it detects fine. I tried moving the SSD to another SATA port, tried the other SATA power connectors that are working fine with the HDD's and I still have the same issue. I moved the SSD to another system and it detects fine. If I put the SSD in a USB 3.0 enclosure, it detects fine. 

Anyone know what can be causing this?

Replies:
Posted By: Ronin4740
Date Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 6:25am
This happened to me a few times on the B350 Fatal1ty board I bought a few weeks ago - would reboot and discover that the MyDIgital BPX 240GB M.2 NVMe board in M.2 slot 1 was no longer visible in the BIOS.  If I'd power the computer down, wait a few seconds and power it back up I could see it again.

I was using the latest released BIOS for my board at the time.  The problem only happened a few times and has since stopped happening... I've since upgraded the BIOS to a later version and the problem has still yet to occur again.

I'm keeping an eye on it.  If it happens again I think I'll start by returning or RMA'ing the board first then work with Asrock to RMA the motherboard if it continues.  I wonder if it isn't a heat issue or maybe a voltage issue but I can't explain why the problem hasn't happened again for the past week.  

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 8:15am
I found a temporary workaround. I have to boot into Windows, shut down the computer, turn it back on and it detects every time. Very annoying but hopefully a future BIOS update will fix this.

Posted By: parsec
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by GenesisDoes GenesisDoes wrote:

" rel="nofollow - Everything is working fine now on the X370 Taichi except for one weird issue where my SATA SSD goes missing.< ="chrome-extension://hhojmcideegachlhfgfdhailpfhgknjm/web_accessible_resources/index.js">

I have 2 drives in the M.2 ports and 3 (2 HDD, 1 SSD) in the SATA ports. The 1 SSD goes missing when I power on the machine if it was powered off for more than 1 hour (overnight for example). It only detects it again when I remove the SATA power cable and reinsert it. 

If the system was off for under 1 hour and I power it on again, it detects fine. I tried moving the SSD to another SATA port, tried the other SATA power connectors that are working fine with the HDD's and I still have the same issue. I moved the SSD to another system and it detects fine. If I put the SSD in a USB 3.0 enclosure, it detects fine. 

No mention of trying a different SATA data cable.

What SATA driver are you using? SATA mode setting is?

Is the SSD in an AMD or ASMedia SATA port? Your board has those two SATA chipsets.

Version of Windows you are using? How did you install drivers after the Windows installation?

That SSD is what model?

-------------
http://valid.x86.fr/48rujh" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

No mention of trying a different SATA data cable.

What SATA driver are you using? SATA mode setting is?

Is the SSD in an AMD or ASMedia SATA port? Your board has those two SATA chipsets.

Version of Windows you are using? How did you install drivers after the Windows installation?

That SSD is what model?
< ="chrome-extension://hhojmcideegachlhfgfdhailpfhgknjm/web_accessible_resources/index.js">

I tried different Sata cables both data and power (the ones that were working fine with the two HDD's, I unplugged from the HDD's and tried it with the SSD). I tried ports 1-8 (AMD), HDD's are working fine there so it's not ports or cables. SATA is in AHCI. Windows 10 64-bit. I just installed drivers for the NVME drives, didn't install for Mushkin Reactor drive. It also does the same for Samsung 840 EVO I tested. Randomly won't detect, but will detect again on a full shutdown and power on again. I don't think it's drivers because it doesn't detect in UEFI Bios, unless a full shutdown and power on again.
< ="chrome-extension://hhojmcideegachlhfgfdhailpfhgknjm/web_accessible_resources/index.js">

Posted By: Peter13779
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 2:29am
I have the same problem here using two crucial BX100 (actual firmware) drives at AHCI. Windows 10 64 bit (1703) is not installable and an installed windows (cloned from working HDD install) is not bootable on these drives connected to the AMD sata ports. The drives are missing in bios on every soft reset of the system.

The ports using asmedia chipset are working fine with these SSD drives!

Edit: My crucial MX100 is working fine on the AMD ports

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 3:05am
I just tried putting the SSD in port 9 (AS Media chipset) and it seems to be working fine so far. So it appears there's an issue with some SSD's and the AMD SATA chipset ports (HDD's working fine there only SSD's have an issue).< ="chrome-extension://hhojmcideegachlhfgfdhailpfhgknjm/web_accessible_resources/index.js">

-------------
Taichi X370, Ryzen 1700 @ 4ghz, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ Ram, Samsung 960 EVO nvme, Intel 600P nvme, 2TB Seagate HDD, 2TB Hitachi HDD, 1TB Mushkin SSD, GTX 1080

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 11:01am
" rel="nofollow -

I tried different Sata cables both data and power (the ones that were working fine with the two HDD's, I unplugged from the HDD's and tried it with the SSD). I tried ports 1-8 (AMD), HDD's are working fine there so it's not ports or cables. SATA is in AHCI. Windows 10 64-bit. I just installed drivers for the NVME drives, didn't install for Mushkin Reactor drive. It also does the same for Samsung 840 EVO I tested. Randomly won't detect, but will detect again on a full shutdown and power on again. I don't think it's drivers because it doesn't detect in UEFI Bios, unless a full shutdown and power on again.

If you don't see a drive in the Storage Configuration screen, and all the physical connections seem fine, and it was detected in another PC, then something may be wrong. That the problem is intermittent, that makes it more difficult to diagnose.

The Mushkin Reactor and 840 EVO are both SATA SSDs, and either use the standard Microsoft Windows 10 AHCI driver, storahci, or if you ran the AMD All in One driver installer, the AMD AHCI driver. The ASMedia chipset will use either the MSoft storahci driver, or the ASMedia SATA driver, if you installed it.

I don't know if the following will help solve your drive detection issues, Ryzen is new to me, I've only had a Ryzen system running for about a week. That's an ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac, AMD 1700X, 16 GB G.SKILL FlareX 3200 @ 2933, Samsung 960 EVO, three Samsung 830 SSDs, two in RAID 0. What you've said in your posts hints that this might help.

I'm not sure if your board's UEFI has these options, or what version you are using, I hope the latest 2.00 version. In the Advanced screen, do you see the AMD CBS screen?

If so, in that screen find the Promontory Common Options screen, and in there the PT SATA Configuration screen.

Two options in this screen, PT Aggressive SATA Device Sleep Port0 and Port1. Set both to Disabled.

In the AMD CBS screen, there is also the FCH Common Options screen. The FCH is the X370 chipset, which can support up to eight SATA III ports. It also has a SATA Configuration screen. Why there are both Promontory and FCH SATA screen options, I am not yet clear about. Both Promontory and FCH are terms for the X370 chipset.

Regardless, this SATA Configuration screen has Aggressive SATA Device Sleep options, again try disabling them.

Let us know what happens. I have these options disabled, and have not had the same problem with drive recognition like you do. I did have something happen to a Samsung 850 EVO, that completely disappeared after initializing it with the AMD RAID software. Nothing can see it, even after restarts of the PC. Another SSD connected to the same SATA port is working fine.

-------------

Posted By: ASRock_TSD
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 11:40am
Dear GenesisDoes,

Greetings, this is ASRock TSD.

We install WD 240GB SATA m.2 , WD 512GB PCIE m.2 and 3HDD (2 WD 500GB HDD and 1 TRION SSD) with BIOS P2.00 on the system and all the devices could be detected successfully no matter power off system immediately or more than one hour.

According to your question, we provide some suggestions to verify:

1. Please enter the BIOS setup then press [F9] to load BIOS default setting to try.

2. Only install one SSD to check if the system can detect properly.

3. If system could detect with one SSD successfully, please add two m.2 devices to the system for verifying.

4. If possible, please use other SSD to verify.

At the same time, we also want to know the detail configurations (CPU, memory, M.2, HDD and SSD model name) about your system to let us do further check.

Please provide to us clearly. 

Thanks!

All the best,
ASRock TSD

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 11:58am
Here is the detail configurations.

X370 Taichi Bios 2.0
Ryzen 1700 @ 3.9ghz
500GB Samsung 960 EVO NVME in M2_1
1TB Intel 600P NVME in M2_2 
Hitachi 3TB HDD in Sata port #3
Seagate 2TB HDD in Sata port #2
1TB Mushkin Reactor MKNSSDRE1TB in Sata port #9 (if I put in #1 - #8 same issue but it is working right now on Asmedia chipset).
Asus GTX 1080
32GB G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C16D-32GTZKW in A2 and B2 (2400 16-17-17-37 timings).
EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 220-G2-0850-XR 80+ GOLD 850W Fully Modular Power Supply
All USB 3.0 ports in back are used. Only USB 3.1 and c-type aren't used.

-------------
Taichi X370, Ryzen 1700 @ 4ghz, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ Ram, Samsung 960 EVO nvme, Intel 600P nvme, 2TB Seagate HDD, 2TB Hitachi HDD, 1TB Mushkin SSD, GTX 1080

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by Peter13779 Peter13779 wrote:

I have the same problem here using two crucial BX100 (actual firmware) drives at AHCI. Windows 10 64 bit (1703) is not installable and an installed windows (cloned from working HDD install) is not bootable on these drives connected to the AMD sata ports. The drives are missing in bios on every soft reset of the system.

Little update here:

The MX100 is working but very very slow in some situations (kb/s!).

I changed to an Samsung 840 pro from my notebook. For now thats OK but I will return the board if there is no final solution ...

Posted By: Kellogs23
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 7:25pm
" rel="nofollow - Hi there, subscribing to this thread since i'm the exact same position. X370 Taichi with an 1800x and extremely slow disk speeds (sata ssd/m2). Nothing seemed to help until now so i'm anxiously waiting for an official response maybe?

Tried each bios from 1.4 to 2.0 and sata drives from old ones to m2.

I've ordered another board in the mean time to check if the processor has anything to do with the slowdowns. Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.

Posted By: Prodif
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 7:30pm
" rel="nofollow - Kellogs23
https://www2.ati.com/drivers/amd-chipset-drivers-17.3.1-windows-64bit-mar9.exe ?
Faster SATA only NVMe (PCI-E)

-------------
ASRock x370 Taichi (bios v2.36) / Ryzen-1800X / Crucial CT16G4DFD824A x2 / GPU: AMD R9 NANO / SSD NVMe Samsung 960 PRO MZ-V6P1T0BW (M.2) / HDD SATA 3TB x6 / PSU: Corsair AX860i
ps. RedDragon, by AG

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 8:14pm
Thanks will give it a try when i get home though i find it weird that i can't even install an operating system on any drive other than the m2 because of the slow speed. A bootable linux distro benchmarks the speed at 12read /8read for the 2 850evo 250gb ssds i have. The only drive i can finish a windows install in a decent amount of time is the m2 one 960 evo 500gb but it's still a lot slower than it's specs.

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 11:23pm

Little update here:

I changed to an Samsung 840 pro from my notebook. For now thats OK but I will return the board if there is no final solution ...

Next Update:

Sleep Port0 and Port1 disabled did not change anything.
But I had time to test every single SATA port.

MX100 and BX100 are working BUT only from port 2 upwards. Port 0 and 1 are comming directly from CPU ...

Now is the question:
1. bad CPU
2. bad Board
3. bad BIOS

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 1:51am
Strange problem with the SSDs on the SATA 1 and 2 ports. There are 4 - 6 SATA ports coming from the CPU, not just two. AMD's specs on this are confusing, and if you search on this, I find contradictory information. This of course ignores the ASMedia SATA ports.

Just to be clear, the AMD SATA3_1 and SATA3_2 ports are the two ports at the top of the SATA port "stack", labeled 12 on the mother board layout page in the X370 Taichi manual.

I have a different Ryzen board (X370 Killer SLI/ac) and CPU (1700X), and I have two SSDs on the AMD SATA3_1 and SATA3_2 ports (Samsung 830 and Intel 530), and they work fine.

I also have a Samsung 960 EVO in the M2_1 slot, as the OS drive, Windows 10, and it works fine. The Windows 10 installation was the fastest I have ever experienced, even faster than on my Intel Z170 and Z270 systems, using Samsung 950 Pro and 960 EVO NVMe SSDs. Benchmark results are normal for all my SSDs. NVMe SSDs require a somewhat different Windows installation technique.

Of course this does not mean that your board, etc, does not have a problem of some kind. I have seen problems with certain models of SSDs and new mother boards/chipsets in the past, so who knows if this is happening again or not.

I must ask about the slow performance of the MX100. The speed of any drive is not constant, it depends upon the size and type of file being read or written. For example, only large (512KB+) files can be read at ~500MB/s. Small files (4KB) are read at much slower speeds, 25MB/s is typical for many SSDs. Copying a folder of multiple, different files from one drive to another, will happen at varying speeds, depending on the file type, size, and the source and destination drives. The capacity of an SSD, and the amount of free space on it also causes differences in file write speeds.

For others posting in this thread, simply saying a Windows installation is slow without any details about what the Windows installation media is (optical disk, USB flash drive) and the version of Windows being used (Windows 7 does not have an NVMe driver for example) does not begin to provide enough information for us to comment about.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 3:21am
Not to be snarky or anything but having a windows 10 install complete 1% every 3 minutes when copying files is completely unacceptable.  This is my case at the least. The media used is an usb flash drive that works flawlessly on my intel build (VII Ranger with 4790k). 

As i said in my previous message, using a bootlable ubuntu usb to benchmark the ssd's the speed never goes over 40mb for reading and 20 for writing, if i leave it to run for a while it eventually stalls, meaning the write benchmark stays at 0mb/s. The same bootable usb used on the same ssd's on the intel build will benchmark them at 520 read 500 write. Something is obviously wrong. The only ssd that has any chance of completing a windows install, in my case at least, is the 960 evo which registers ~120 write speed if lucky. I had a case in which it also stalled to 0 write. 

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 4:52am
I'm having no issues with speed.

Samsung 960 EVO: 3200 MB/s read & 1650 MB/s write< ="chrome-extension://hhojmcideegachlhfgfdhailpfhgknjm/web_accessible_resources/index.js">
Intel 600P: 1300 MB/s read & 580 MB/s write
Mushkin Reactor: 560 MB/s read & 450 MB/s write on AMD. 420 MB/s read & 330 MB/s write on Asmedia.

My issue is with the drive not detecting unless I do a full shutdown and power on.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 6:38am

Strange problem with the SSDs on the SATA 1 and 2 ports. There are 4 - 6 SATA ports coming from the CPU, not just two. AMD's specs on this are confusing, and if you search on this, I find contradictory information. This of course ignores the ASMedia SATA ports.

I habe searched many overviews and they all say 2 from CPU + 6 from chipset like this one:

https://rog.asus.com/media/14878984098.gif" rel="nofollow - https://rog.asus.com/media/14878984098.gif

With slow I mean slower than a floppy disk! Booting from it goes fast but than randomly the SSD makes lunchbreak for 20 - 30 seconds without HDD LED is doing anything. Same when installing an OS on it. It starts fast but after 1 minute there is a pause and after that it transfers so slow that install would take days. If you want to test something you have to hurry after boot ...

One other strange thing on my Taichi board. When switched to Raid mode there are many offline arrays shown in raid Bios that are not deleteable (you can hit delete but they stay). Even after CMOS Reset or BIOS reflash they stay!

I will just stop using the first 2 ports until there is a new BIOS. After that I will try again using 2xBX100  (Raid 0) on these ports as planned.

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 1:46pm
My issue is similar to Peter's only that none of the sata ports work for me.

Date Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 3:30am
" rel="nofollow - The new motherboard arrived with a new cpu as well. I tried the new 1400 cpu on the Taichi and the issues were the same. I put the old 1800x in the new msi xpower and the sata's are woring, 534 read 493 write. I'm guessing the taichi is faulty and i should rma?

LE: another thing i noticed is the fans on the cpu cooler (ek predator 360) are a lot more quieter than on the taichi

Date Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 12:42pm
" rel="nofollow -
Originally posted by Kellogs23 Kellogs23 wrote:

The new motherboard arrived with a new cpu as well. I tried the new 1400 cpu on the Taichi and the issues were the same. I put the old 1800x in the new msi xpower and the sata's are woring, 534 read 493 write. I'm guessing the taichi is faulty and i should rma?

LE: another thing i noticed is the fans on the cpu cooler (ek predator 360) are a lot more quieter than on the taichi

No other way to test it, unless you wait a while to see if the SSDs disappears again on the new board. Given the way the Ryzen platform is designed, it seems the Taichi is the problem. So either RMA or return to retailer.

The fans are quieter on the other board no doubt because of the differences in the fan profiles between the two boards.

Were you using the default profiles on each board, or a custom profile? Plus there are multiple built in profiles on both boards. There is no reason why they would be the same on both boards. There are no standards regarding fan speeds at specific PWM levels (4 pin fans) or voltage (3 pin fans). Also, every fan model is different in its specs, there are no standards for starting voltage, minimum and maximum RPM, etc.

Were you monitoring the fan speeds on your EK 360 on the Taichi and MSI boards? If they are quieter with the MSI board, they must be spinning at a lower speed/RPM. There is no other possible explanation.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 1:00pm

Little update here:

Next Update:

Sleep Port0 and Port1 disabled did not change anything.
But I had time to test every single SATA port.

MX100 and BX100 are working BUT only from port 2 upwards. Port 0 and 1 are comming directly from CPU ...

Now is the question:
1. bad CPU
2. bad Board
3. bad BIOS

I just connected a Crucial MX100 to my X370 Killer SLI/ac board, with a Ryzen 1700X CPU. Using SATA port 2, my board's are labeled from 1 to 6, so port 2 is from the CPU.

So far, so good, we'll see if anything changes.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 6:00pm

" rel="nofollow -

The new motherboard arrived with a new cpu as well. I tried the new 1400 cpu on the Taichi and the issues were the same. I put the old 1800x in the new msi xpower and the sata's are woring, 534 read 493 write. I'm guessing the taichi is faulty and i should rma?

No other way to test it, unless you wait a while to see if the SSDs disappears again on the new board. Given the way the Ryzen platform is designed, it seems the Taichi is the problem. So either RMA or return to retailer.

The fans are quieter on the other board no doubt because of the differences in the fan profiles between the two boards.

Were you using the default profiles on each board, or a custom profile? Plus there are multiple built in profiles on both boards. There is no reason why they would be the same on both boards. There are no standards regarding fan speeds at specific PWM levels (4 pin fans) or voltage (3 pin fans). Also, every fan model is different in its specs, there are no standards for starting voltage, minimum and maximum RPM, etc.

Were you monitoring the fan speeds on your EK 360 on the Taichi and MSI boards? If they are quieter with the MSI board, they must be spinning at a lower speed/RPM. There is no other possible explanation.

Yep, the fan profiles are probably different. On the msi board they are inaudible, on the asrock they blasted almost full force :P Don't know why the stock setting would be full blast tough. I didn't change anything from the stock bios config.

Posted By: ljt
Date Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 1:17am
Just registered to say I'm having the exact same problem regarding the disappearing Crucial BX100. 

My spec as follows;

Asrock X370 Taichi - BIOS V. 2.0
Ryzen R5 1600x
16Gb (2 x 8gb) Team Group DDR4 3200Mhz CL16
Crucial BX100 250Gb SSD
GTX 970 4gb GPU

Thats all that is currently connected to the system.

The drive showed up on first boot in the BIOS. Went to exit BIOS to tell the system to boot off my USB drive to install windows, the system reboots loads up the windows installer, which then says there isn't a HDD to install to. 

So I go back into the BIOS and the BX100 has dissapeared. No amount of restarts would make it show up again. I tried loading defaults still nothing.

The only way I can get it to show up again is to shut the system down, remove power for 10 seconds, reset cmos and reconnect power and start it up again. If I go into the BIOS the drive is there again

There is no way I can install windows on this system with this drive.

It seems an awful coincidence that someone else is having the exact same problem with the exact same motherboard and SSD combo 

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 4:16am
A little update after some testing;

I've managed to try both a Crucial MX100 and a Samsung EVO 850 ssd using the same sata cable on the same port (sata3_1) that the BX100 was disappearing from and they both seem ok and were showing as an option when I ran the windows install via USB.

edit: I also shifted the BX100 down to SATA port 2 and left the MX100 on port 1 (where the BX100 was disappearing from to begin with) and and the BX100 disappeared from SATA port 2 just like it did on port 1. Yet the MX100 remained ok on port 1. So it's not the port or cable.

For some reason after first reboot the system just doesn't like the Crucial BX100 and it disappears into nowhere.

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 5:20am
" rel="nofollow - How are your speeds to either drive? 

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 5:56am

" rel="nofollow - How are your speeds to either drive? 

I don't know, I haven't got that far yet lol. I haven't managed to even install windows yet as I was hoping to install it on the BX100 as that was cleared of data prior to my new build ready for windows. 

The other 2 drives (mx100 ans evo 850) both have data on at the moment thats why i only used them to check the port/cable was ok. However it looks as though I might end up using the MX100 drive to install windows tomorrow as it only contains some games from my old rig

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 11:11am
My MX100 on SATA port 2 has never disappeared, through multiple restarts, a UEFI update, shutdowns, and a long Windows Sleep over a 24 hour period. I'm using a X370 Killer SLI/ac board.

I'm NOT saying you X370 Taichi users should not be having problems. Impossible for me to know what is going on with your boards. If this was isolated to the MX100 SSD, I should be having the same issue. That SSD is not empty, and I've accessed files on it multiple times to be sure it is working.

SSD speeds are Ok, although the 4K speeds are lower than I normally see on my Intel systems.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 3:52pm
My problem is with the BX100 not the MX100. After testing using the same port and cable as the BX100 the MX100 didn't disappear.

Only the BX100 ssd seems to be giving me issues

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by ljt ljt wrote:

I've managed to try both a Crucial MX100 and a Samsung EVO 850 ssd using the same sata cable on the same port (sata3_1) that the BX100 was disappearing from and they both seem ok and were showing as an option when I ran the windows install via USB.

edit: I also shifted the BX100 down to SATA port 2 and left the MX100 on port 1 (where the BX100 was disappearing from to begin with) and and the BX100 disappeared from SATA port 2 just like it did on port 1. Yet the MX100 remained ok on port 1. So it's not the port or cable.

For some reason after first reboot the system just doesn't like the Crucial BX100 and it disappears into nowhere.

Better description than mine with my poor english Big smile

The BX100 is still disapearing sometimes when I soft-reset the system. Since it is on SATA3_4 while SATA3_3 has an normal HDD connected it is working fine when the system is runnig and it is BIOS-found. Not usind SATA3_3 and BX100@SATA3_4 it is still disapearing every soft-reset. This has to be some crazy energy-saving stuff or powerdelivery detection problem ...

The Taichi BIOS is a bitch LOL

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 8:34pm
Well I've finally got windows installed, but had to use the MX100 drive. The BX100 still wont recognise past first boot. 

Hard drive wise I now have connected;

Sata3_1 - Crucial MX100 256Gb - Windows
Sata3_2 - Crucial BX100 - Not seen by BIOS/Windows
Sata3_3 - Samsung EVO 500Gb - games storage
Sata3_4 - Seagate 1TB Mechanical HDD - Programs and files

I tried the BX100 in a SATA USB external enclosure and it's recognised fine on my laptop and could open the drive fine. So I don't think the drive is faulty, just some mismatch with this Taichi mobo

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 8:41pm

The BX100 is still disapearing sometimes when I soft-reset the system. Since it is on SATA3_4 while SATA3_3 has an normal HDD connected it is working fine when the system is runnig and it is BIOS-found. Not usind SATA3_3 and BX100@SATA3_4 it is still disapearing every soft-reset. This has to be some crazy energy-saving stuff or powerdelivery detection problem ...

From my post on page 1:

I'm not sure if your board's UEFI has these options, or what version you are using, I hope the latest 2.00 version. In the Advanced screen, do you see the AMD CBS screen?

If so, in that screen find the Promontory Common Options screen, and in there the PT SATA Configuration screen.

Two options in this screen, PT Aggressive SATA Device Sleep Port0 and Port1. Set both to Disabled.

In the AMD CBS screen, there is also the FCH Common Options screen. The FCH is the X370 chipset, which can support up to eight SATA III ports. It also has a SATA Configuration screen. Why there are both Promontory and FCH SATA screen options, I am not yet clear about. Both Promontory and FCH are terms for the X370 chipset.

Regardless, this SATA Configuration screen has Aggressive SATA Device Sleep options, again try disabling them.

I can't guarantee disabling these options will fix your problem.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 8:47pm

My problem is with the BX100 not the MX100. After testing using the same port and cable as the BX100 the MX100 didn't disappear.

Only the BX100 ssd seems to be giving me issues

Yes, but we have had posts about the MX100 having detection problems in this thread, and I have an MX100.  I don't have a BX100.

Just testing with what I can.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 9:18pm

" rel="nofollow -

Yep, the fan profiles are probably different. On the msi board they are inaudible, on the asrock they blasted almost full force :P Don't know why the stock setting would be full blast tough. I didn't change anything from the stock bios config.

Two possible reasons for using the Full On setting as the default.

The main thing is ASRock has no idea what CPU cooler is being used. Sure, you use liquid cooling, but most people don't. The full on profile is the default to protect people that use cheap CPU coolers or those trying to adapt semi-compatible coolers to AM4 mounting. Then ASRock hears from users that say, "Why did you let my CPU over heat!". That has happened. Confused

The other reason is to inspire you to learn about the fan profiles. Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 10:21pm

From my post on page 1:

They are already set and do not change anything ...

After asking micron for a firmware without powersaving features for BX100 they just removed the 100er drives from comp. list:

http://www.crucial.de/deu/de/upgrade-kompatibel-mit//x370-taichi#ssdResults

but told me that there are no known problems witch Taichi x370 and BX100 drives ;-)

@Asrock its on YOU to fix this Wink

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 11:13pm

From my post on page 1:

Hi. 

I've tried that but no success with those options. I'll try the BX100 in the 2 sata ports from the ASMedia chipset later and see if that recognises the drive without it disappearing and report back

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 3:10am

From my post on page 1:

These settings didn't work. It appears only certain SSD's disappear like the Mushkin Reactor and Crucial BX100. Other SSD's seem to be working fine and the HDD's never disappear.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 5:09am
" rel="nofollow - Update 2:

Ok. So I've plugged the BX100 into the ASMedia ASM1061 ports on the board (SATA3_A1/A2) and it detected it perfectly and is now showing up in windows and is fully useable.

I've ran some benchmarks and the drive is slightly under performing due to the fact it's on a 3rd party chip rather than native like the rest. 

However it's now proven it isn't the drive itself at fault.

I also did a little bit of digging regarding the 2 drives mentioned having compatibility issues with SATA ports 1-8 (AMD native) i.e. BX100 and the Mushkin Reactor drives and noticed they both have the same controller in common i.e. - Silicon Motion SM2246EN

The MX100 uses a Marvell controller and the Samsung EVO 850 uses its own samsung controller.

Perhaps it's an issue with the main SATA ports not liking this certain controller?

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 4:33am

Ok. So I've plugged the BX100 into the ASMedia ASM1061 ports on the board (SATA3_A1/A2) and it detected it perfectly and is now showing up in windows and is fully useable.

I've ran some benchmarks and the drive is slightly under performing due to the fact it's on a 3rd party chip rather than native like the rest. 

I also did a little bit of digging regarding the 2 drives mentioned having compatibility issues with SATA ports 1-8 (AMD native) i.e. BX100 and the Mushkin Reactor drives and noticed they both have the same controller in common i.e. - Silicon Motion SM2246EN

The MX100 uses a Marvell controller and the Samsung EVO 850 uses its own samsung controller.

Perhaps it's an issue with the main SATA ports not liking this certain controller?

Looks like an issue with this particular controller and X370, maybe something like Z87 and Sandforce controller issues, didn't detect unless you restart just like I'm having now.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 8:49am

Looks like an issue with this particular controller and X370, maybe something like Z87 and Sandforce controller issues, didn't detect unless you restart just like I'm having now.

Thanks for providing the information about the Reactor and BX100's SSD controller, I was not aware of that.

It was the Sandforce 1200 series SSD controllers that have the problem with the newer Intel SATA ports. The OCZ Vertex II is an example of an SSD that used the Sandforce 1200 series controller.

Just being clear about this, since the Sandforce 2000 series SSD controllers do not have the same problem. I don't want people with SSDs that have the 2000 series Sandforce controller (many Intel SSDs, 520 and 530 models) wondering if they will have problems.

I believe it was never clear whether or not the problem was a hardware issue (the chip design itself) or a firmware problem. I vaguely recall it was the chip itself, but I may be wrong.

But I believe at least part of the problem with the 1200 series controllers was they did not support a new revision to the SATA specification, that was not backwards compatible. The new Intel SATA ports supported that new SATA revision. Whom would we say is at fault in a situation like that? Or is it not a fault, just a compatibility reality?

It might be the case that the Silicon Motion controller does not work well with the Ryzen SATA chipset. I'm not comfortable saying that is true at this point, and I'm not saying that you are. But things like this have happened, such as the example above.

I've used an older Samsung 830 with the first two AMD SATA ports, an Intel 530, and the MX100. Those work fine. I'll try an OCZ Vertex 4 next.

-------------

Posted By: AYUNES5
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 9:46am
I'm having a similar issues with a toshiba RD400 m2.   The BIOS does not pick up the device when the os is rebooted, has been happening since the board (Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming) was released.  A  complete system shutdown fixes the issues.  Definitely happens with the Toshiba/OCZ driver.  I will test with the included MS nvme driver.

By the way, I also have an OCZ Vertex 4 and have not had any issues with the device.

Posted By: JohnV
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 10:55am
Originally posted by AYUNES5 AYUNES5 wrote:

I'm having a similar issues with a toshiba RD400 m2.   The BIOS does not pick up the device when the os is rebooted, has been happening since the board (Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming) was released.  A  complete system shutdown fixes the issues.  Definitely happens with the Toshiba/OCZ driver.  I will test with the included MS nvme driver.

By the way, I also have an OCZ Vertex 4 and have not had any issues with the device.

With regards to your M.2 issue Ayunes5, I had the same issue with my M.2 drive (BPX), It seems to have been fixed with updating to the 2.0 bios. I had the issue with the 1.5 bios (original). No problems at all since updating.  Note, i used the DOS update, seems safest.

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 11:00am
" rel="nofollow -
Originally posted by AYUNES5 AYUNES5 wrote:

The only time you lose the RD400 is after a Window restart, or say a press of the Reset button on the PC case?

When the RD400 is not recognized, is that both in Windows and the UEFI/BIOS, Storage Configuration screen?

I assume you are using the M2_1 slot for the RD400? Is that your Windows/OS drive? Which version of Windows are you using?

Which UEFI/BIOS version are you using?

Please try the MSoft NVMe driver, although I have no idea if it will make a difference.

The Ultra M.2 slot (M2_1) on Ryzen boards does not use the SOC (chipset) resources, as the SATA interface does, it uses PCIe lanes from the CPU. So your issue should not be related to any issue with the SOC.

-------------

Posted By: mchilds83
Date Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 12:36pm
EDIT: After further testing, I noticed the problem is recurring on the other SATA ports. In the absence of a known driver solution, I'm preparing to RMA the SSD.

" rel="nofollow - I found this thread because I'm having a similar issue. On my X370 Taichi (P2.00 BIOS) while plugged into either of the SATA3_1 and SATA3_2 ports (The two top ports nearest the memory):

My ADATA SP550 SSD with latest firmware shows Active Time 100% while neither reading nor writing in the Performance Monitor. Every 5-10 minutes the cpu cycles drop to < 1% and all hard disk activity is zero. The computer mostly freezes up, but performance monitor keeps graphing and some games keep running but maybe with limited audio effects while other games will disconnect from online matches and others just freeze completely until the 30 second limit is up. Once the computer resumes, it operates like nothing happened, but it logs 2 warnings into the System Event Log:

Warning, Disk, Event ID 153: The IO operation at logical block address 0xe7b3350 for Disk 0 (PDO name: \Device\00000036) was retried.

Warning, storahci, Event ID 129: Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued.

I swapped SATA cables, went into the BIOS and disabled Aggressive Sleep mode in FCH Common Options and in Promontory Common Options. I also enabled High Performance Mode in Windows 10, and tried the Ryzen Balanced Performance Mode. I installed the latest AMD chipset drivers from AMD's website, as well as the latest Asrock All In One Driver (tried that before AMD's). I even tried some registry hacks to enable Active AHCI Power Management in the Advanced Power Plan options but none of this worked.

When I switch to any of the other SATA ports, the computer operates perfectly fine with no troubles. Is the SATA controller for SATA3_1 and SATA3_2 different somehow, or is it perhaps broken? I'm not overclocking the CPU and I'm running my 2x16GB 3200mhz TridentZ CAS14 memory kit at 2666 with loose timings in A2/B2 configuration.

I have zero stability issues otherwise and it appears all other SATA ports run my system without any problems at all. I haven't bothered to test the bottom ports 9 and 10 which I understand to be the AsMedia ports, but I've spot checked a few in the SATA3_3-SATA3_8 range and all was fine.

In Device Manager, IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers: All 3 "Standard SATA AHCI Controller" entries use the same Microsoft Driver, Version 10.0.15063.0, Date: June 21, 2006

Should the AMD chipset driver or the Asrock All In One driver have overwritten this with something else?

System Specs:

AsRock X370 Taichi BIOS P2.00

Ryzen 1800X at stock frequency

ADATA SP550 SSD with latest firmware (BIOS set to AHCI prior to clean install)

ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1070 STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAMING G.SKILL TridentZ 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz (PC4 25600) F4-3200C14D-32GTZ

Windows 10 Pro x64

Is this an RMA or some weird chipset incompatibility or driver problem? Thanks

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 3:45pm
" rel="nofollow -
Originally posted by mchilds83 mchilds83 wrote:

When I switch to any of the other SATA ports, the computer operates perfectly fine with no troubles. Is the SATA controller for SATA3_1 and SATA3_2 different somehow, or is it perhaps broken?

I still think that Asrock designed the first two SATA ports on this Board as direct connected ports to the CPU while the other ports come from the x370 chipset:

https://rog.asus.com/media/14878984098.gif

I hope they fix this with a new Bios cause replacing the Taichi in my ATX case is a pain in the ass.

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 11:45pm
" rel="nofollow - Is this why Device Manager in Windows 10 shows 3 entries for: 'Standard SATA AHCI Controller" all with the same Microsoft driver from 2006?

One managed by the Ryzen cpu directly (2 Ports: SATA3_1 & SATA3_2)
One managed by the X370 chipset (6 Ports: SATA3_3 TO SATA3_8)
One managed by the AsMedia SATA (2 Ports: SATA_A1 & SATA_A2)

The manual, p. 28 only indicates two controllers, but perhaps there is more to this.
http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/X370%20Taichi.pdf

My problem was less frequent, but certainly did come back on the other ports, so I'm going to RMA the drive first. 

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 4:14am

" rel="nofollow - Is this why Device Manager in Windows 10 shows 3 entries for: 'Standard SATA AHCI Controller" all with the same Microsoft driver from 2006?

One managed by the Ryzen cpu directly (2 Ports: SATA3_1 & SATA3_2)
One managed by the X370 chipset (6 Ports: SATA3_3 TO SATA3_8)
One managed by the AsMedia SATA (2 Ports: SATA_A1 & SATA_A2)

The manual, p. 28 only indicates two controllers, but perhaps there is more to this.
http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/X370%20Taichi.pdf

My problem was less frequent, but certainly did come back on the other ports, so I'm going to RMA the drive first. 

The ADATA SP550 SSD you have has a Silicon Motion controller (SM2256) Which is the newer version of the controller used in the SSD (Crucial BX100 using the SM2246) I was having problems with on SATA ports 1-8. 

So it could be a compatibility problem with certain Silicon Motion controllers and the AMD chipset at the moment.

Have you tried it in the last 2 ports on the board? (ASMedia ports) as that is the only way my BX100 SSD will work for now

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 4:49am
I literally just got back from shipping the drive away for RMA. I wish I had, but my testing was done on about 4 of the ports in the 1-8 range and not on the AsMedia ports. :(

It should be about a week for the product to get there, then a few days turnaround time and maybe another week before it arrives back in my hands. I'll update with my experience in early May. If I don't, remind me and I will do more testing with the new drive in ports 1-8 and in the AsMedia ports.

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 7:44am

I literally just got back from shipping the drive away for RMA. I wish I had, but my testing was done on about 4 of the ports in the 1-8 range and not on the AsMedia ports. :(

It should be about a week for the product to get there, then a few days turnaround time and maybe another week before it arrives back in my hands. I'll update with my experience in early May. If I don't, remind me and I will do more testing with the new drive in ports 1-8 and in the AsMedia ports.

Yes it appears to be an issue with AMD Sata port and that particular controller. In AS Media ports (last two) there doesn't seem to be an issue but the speeds are like 20-30% lower in benchmarks when I ran them.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 8:11am
I hope AMD releases a driver or firmware update to resolve this problem. Too bad I just backed up all my data, formatted the drive and shipped it away for 2 weeks at my expense.

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 8:25am
The ASMedia SATA chipset is (and can only be) connected to one PCIe 2.0 lane, so it is bandwidth limited compared to other SATA implementations like Intel's and AMD's.

-------------

Posted By: David
Date Posted: 10 May 2017 at 11:09pm

I'm having the exact same issue with my Crucial BX100.  It's not being detected at all.

Posted By: lowdog
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 10:36am
I think these boards are flaky, I have X370 Pro Fat Gaming with 1 Intel 1TB M.2 SSD in the M.2 - 1 slot and an Intel 1TB NVMe in the M.2 - 2 slot and 3 x SSD and 1 CDrom in 4 of the standard SSD connections.

Playing games that are on my Intel 1TB M.s SSD in M.2 slot 1 and after a period of time the game freezes and I have to hard reboot and the M.2 slot 1 Intel 1TB M.2 SSD is not detected!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have to shutdown and clrcmos for it to show again. Happens with both stock and OC settings. It's definitely either a hardware motherboard design issue or bios issue, to put it lightly it SUCKS FFS!!!!!

Had a crossfire setup and thought it was a crossfire problem with PCIe saturation or something but it happens with single card set up as well.

-------------
X399 Fat Pro Gaming bios 3.10 - TR4 1900X - 64GB G-SKILL TridentZ F4-3200C14Q-64GTZ @ 3133MHz - Vega 64 AIO with EK block - WC Custom loop - 1500W Silverstone PSU - yay

Posted By: crusheddiamond
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 9:14pm
" rel="nofollow - I am just now having these issues with my old M4 ssd with it just disappearing.

Hopefully an update is in order, plan to buy a new M.2 SSD anyway.

Can anyone suggest one that wont have this issue? NVME or not.

Posted By: canopus
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 4:50am
i have X370 TAICHI too
WD ULTRA M2 SSD 128GB OS WIN 10 64bit
10x8TB i have problem with booting to WIN DESKTOP=stuck last step jump to desktop..it looks like still loading

tested=SATA1 to SATA7  without problem ... if i connected 1-8 SATA WIN stuck ... it looks like same problem like you

time to back this MOBO sh*t

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net