Forum Description: Question about ASRock Intel Motherboards
URL: https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5082
Printed Date: 18 Jun 2024 at 1:08am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Boot Menu Graphic Glitch
Posted By: skydiver88
Subject: ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Boot Menu Graphic Glitch
Date Posted: 08 May 2017 at 1:28am
" rel="nofollow - When I go into boot menu i get this weird graphic issue where the cursor leaves a trail as it moves and the menu doesn't show up. Only the "enter setup" and "boot default" buttons show once I hover over them. 

Is there a way to rollback the update I made to see if it worked before?

Replies:
Posted By: Xaltar
Date Posted: 08 May 2017 at 3:45am
Before you update/downgrade your UEFI (BIOS) try clearing CMOS.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 May 2017 at 8:14am
I did. The problem persists.

Posted By: parsec
Date Posted: 08 May 2017 at 9:00am
Originally posted by skydiver88 skydiver88 wrote:

" rel="nofollow - When I go into boot menu i get this weird graphic issue where the cursor leaves a trail as it moves and the menu doesn't show up. Only the "enter setup" and "boot default" buttons show once I hover over them. 

Is there a way to rollback the update I made to see if it worked before?

No idea which Fatal1ty board you have, there are four Fatal1ty Z270 models.

Are you talking about the Boot menu in the UEFI, or the one that you can access by pressing a function key during POST?

Which UEFI/BIOS update method did you use?

There is no specific UEFI rollback method. You can flash the UEFI to any version at any time on your board.

-------------
http://valid.x86.fr/48rujh" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 08 May 2017 at 12:49pm
" rel="nofollow -
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

No idea which Fatal1ty board you have, there are four Fatal1ty Z270 models.

Are you talking about the Boot menu in the UEFI, or the one that you can access by pressing a function key during POST?

Which UEFI/BIOS update method did you use?

There is no specific UEFI rollback method. You can flash the UEFI to any version at any time on your board.

Thank you for your reply. I have the Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac model. I updated through the bios itself. I will attempt to flash through USB.

Date Posted: 12 May 2017 at 9:04am
Bumping this thread. I flashed my motherboard and I still cant manage to get a boot menu. This is really inconvenient for me. The boot menu shows when CSM compatibility is turned off, but I cannot see my hard drives. If anyone knows anything, please help!

Posted By: wardog
Date Posted: 12 May 2017 at 9:26am
Please list out you system hardware and the age of the PSU

Date Posted: 12 May 2017 at 10:41am
" rel="nofollow -

Bumping this thread. I flashed my motherboard and I still cant manage to get a boot menu. This is really inconvenient for me. The boot menu shows when CSM compatibility is turned off, but I cannot see my hard drives. If anyone knows anything, please help!

We still don't know if you are talking about the Boot Menu shown when you press F11 during POST, or in the UEFI itself. It seems you mean the F11 boot menu, is that right?

Did you install Windows with CSM disabled? Not that it's wrong to do so, just asking. Did you install Windows for UEFI booting?

Are the HDDs that are not shown partitioned as MBR or GPT?

This may seem like a strange question, but what do you use for a video source? A video card or the Intel iGPU? If a video card, what model number is it?

-------------

Date Posted: 14 May 2017 at 10:27pm

We still don't know if you are talking about the Boot Menu shown when you press F11 during POST, or in the UEFI itself. It seems you mean the F11 boot menu, is that right?

Did you install Windows with CSM disabled? Not that it's wrong to do so, just asking. Did you install Windows for UEFI booting?

Are the HDDs that are not shown partitioned as MBR or GPT?

This may seem like a strange question, but what do you use for a video source? A video card or the Intel iGPU? If a video card, what model number is it?

Yes, it's the F11 boot menu. I installed windows with CSM enabled because otherwise my SSD isn't recognized (Samsung 250GB M.2 PCIe NVMe 960 EVO), which is partitioned as MBR.  I did install windows with UEFI booting, and without. Results are the same. I doubt it has anything to do with the operating system as I formatted the SSD and booted up while blank, and the bug was still there.

I am using an nvidia card, (1050 ti) but I have taken it out completely and connected straight into the MB using both HDMI and Display Port, with same results. Please have a look at the image below:

This is with CSM disabled:

As you may see it is missing my other drive and displaying some weird symbols instead.

Posted By: wardog
Date Posted: 15 May 2017 at 1:11am
" rel="nofollow - Have you installed an OS on this missing drive?

I believe that w/o an OS the BIOS is smart enough to not display a NON-bootable drive

Date Posted: 15 May 2017 at 1:56am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

" rel="nofollow - Have you installed an OS on this missing drive?

I believe that w/o an OS the BIOS is smart enough to not display a NON-bootable drive

Yes, windows is installed on the other drive. The drive isn't recognized without CSM enabled.

Posted By: clubfoot
Date Posted: 15 May 2017 at 2:40am
" rel="nofollow - You have 2X m.2s installed one with Windows and one with Linux,...correct.
Have you tried switching to BIOS B as per the instructions in your motherboard manual?

-------------
https://valid.x86.fr/1tkblf" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 15 May 2017 at 8:09am
Originally posted by clubfoot clubfoot wrote:

" rel="nofollow - You have 2X m.2s installed one with Windows and one with Linux,...correct.
Have you tried switching to BIOS B as per the instructions in your motherboard manual?

I only have 1 m.2 installed. I looked at the manual and found nothing about this BIOS B feature.

Posted By: clubfoot
Date Posted: 15 May 2017 at 8:27am

I only have 1 m.2 installed. I looked at the manual and found nothing about this BIOS B feature.

Unfortunately your board only has one BIOS chip Embarrassed

-------------
https://valid.x86.fr/1tkblf" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Road Runner
Date Posted: 19 May 2017 at 1:01am
" rel="nofollow - Hello! I have ASRock H270M-itx mb, use onboard video, nvme ssd and a couple 6tb wd red in sata and have absolutely the same trouble (when f11 bios boot menu corrupted). I had a normal menu for a few days but suddenly trouble appear and I don't touch CSM option (but I'll try it when return to home today).

I read the topic but don't understand was the trouble is decided? Or only can help CSM disabling/enabling? But if it is normal behavior when CSM enabled? May be it will be more simple return MB to the shop and if ASRock mbs became fly back to their then they became fix a problems?

I cleared a CMOS, update BIOS up to 2/0 version but trouble still present. And now 2017 year. I googled and find very like trouble from 2015: https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=116125
Almost 2 years, Karl!

But may be I don't understand at all. Please can you give me how to fix this trouble? With both CSM option - enabled and disabled?

Date Posted: 19 May 2017 at 1:41am
Originally posted by Road Runner Road Runner wrote:

" rel="nofollow - Hello! I have ASRock H270M-itx mb, use onboard video, nvme ssd and a couple 6tb wd red in sata and have absolutely the same trouble (when f11 bios boot menu corrupted). I had a normal menu for a few days but suddenly trouble appear and I don't touch CSM option (but I'll try it when return to home today).

I read the topic but don't understand was the trouble is decided? Or only can help CSM disabling/enabling? But if it is normal behavior when CSM enabled? May be it will be more simple return MB to the shop and if ASRock mbs became fly back to their then they became fix a problems?

I cleared a CMOS, update BIOS up to 2/0 version but trouble still present. And now 2017 year. I googled and find very like trouble from 2015: https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=116125
Almost 2 years, Karl!

But may be I don't understand at all. Please can you give me how to fix this trouble? With both CSM option - enabled and disabled?

I still haven't fixed it. The boot menu was working OK for a few days and then it broke. I called ASRock support and they put on a person with a heavy accent who was difficult to understand, and knew very little about motherboards. 

I've also had issues with the clock on the motherboard as the time is always changing and messing up the time on windows as consequence. I will sell this motherboard on ebay and buy something else. First and last ASRock purchase I ever make.

Date Posted: 19 May 2017 at 5:11am
Look I just have been enter to my bios, go to advanced mode (f6) and go to CSM (Compatibility Support Module) and then I switch to Disabled. Ok, it became a little bit better - bios show the menu BUT still present the strange point with hieroglyph and still present point "debian" which was but it was deleted and change to ubunta (ubunta present too). So it obviously a bug in nvram area where stored points of menu!

Date Posted: 19 May 2017 at 5:20am
" rel="nofollow -

I will sell this motherboard on ebay and buy something else. First and last ASRock purchase I ever make.
Why? Are you have not a guarantee for the mb? In Russia if you buy a thing in serious shop and it corrupted by a vendor guilty you can return it to shop and give money back.

I am in personally still hope fix because I select special models cpu, box, cooler and mb for team but cpu, box and cooler I bought in another shop and can't give back them.

Date Posted: 19 May 2017 at 8:54am
" rel="nofollow -
Originally posted by Road Runner Road Runner wrote:

Why? Are you have not a guarantee for the mb? In Russia if you buy a thing in serious shop and it corrupted by a vendor guilty you can return it to shop and give money back.

I am in personally still hope fix because I select special models cpu, box, cooler and mb for team but cpu, box and cooler I bought in another shop and can't give back them.

I purchased it on Amazon (US) and had it shipped to my friends house, and then my friend brought it to me when he came to visit me in Mexico. To ship it back to Amazon from here would be too expensive as I would need to use FedEX or UPS because our national postal service is garbage. It WILL get lost (stolen) guaranteed.

Whenever I have time I will try removing the m.2 drive from the MB and see if anything changes. The problem is I have liquid cooling installed and it takes a lot of time to do it because I need to remove the motherboard completely to reach the m.2 port in the back.

Date Posted: 20 May 2017 at 5:20am
" rel="nofollow - Ok, girls! I believe that I know what happened and why the bug isn't present at first time but suddenly appear after a time!
CSM isn't response for it but only COUNT OF MENU LINE! Why it fix when you disable CSM? Just notice that without CSM you haven't some disks in menu and it became shorter.
Just ass-hand programmers developed menu draw program with hope then it never never never will be more than 6 (or 7) elements. But they even didn't check that menu inder 6 elements and when menu grow more then they have something like overflow or writing in wrong area of memory.
Why it working first time? It is the second bug (second bug, Karl!). I noticed that when I install something a new line appearing on menu but when I delete it it isn't dissapear. So at first I have lines about ssd, 2xsata disks and 2xusb (simple usb and uefi usb). Then I installed Debian. And I got menu with Debian ssd, simple ssd, 2xsata and 2xusb. All was Ok. Then I decide erase Debian (because long support version can't support kaby lake inetl video) and install Ubuntu... I don't check how boot menu worked after it but when I want to reinstall my ubuntu... BUMM! - the bug. And you know what? I can see old Debian line - I can see it when I drew frozen menu with mouse moving (and the variant I can see in bios setting too).

I wrote about it to support lets see how fast they will be able to fix it!

Posted By: tovstun
Date Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 7:35am
I have the same problem with the boot menu (F11). My hardware configuration:
ASRock Fatal1ty X99 Professional Gaming i7
INTEL Core i7-5820K LGA2011-3 BOX
DIMM DDR4 (2133) 32GB KINGSTON HYPERX FURY HX421C14FB2K4/32, CL14, 1.2V
MSI GTX1050GAMINGX2G
SSD m.2 PCI-e v.2 Kingston SHPM2280P2/240G

Date Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 12:14pm
" rel="nofollow - Has anyone with this issue tried a full UEFI/BIOS/NVRAM clear by removing the board's battery at the same time as moving the CLR CMOS jumper to the clear position. It seems the NVRAM became corrupted for some reason.

The battery must be left out for at least ten minutes, to allow any charge in the capacitors in the UEFI/BIOS chip power circuit to dissipate.

I believe in an early post in this thread, someone said that the time was not correct in the UEFI or OS. That is usually caused by a bad battery in the board, replacing it is worth doing, the battery is common and not expensive. The battery model is CR2032.

In the UEFI, in the Tools screen there should be an entry for the Boot Manager feature. That allows many more than six boot partition/drive entries. You should be able to edit the name of the drive, etc, for each entry. If the text entry for a drive/OS installation is formatted badly, that might indicate a compatibility issue between the tool and the partitioning or file system used on the drive or partition.

Disabling CSM requires the video source to be GOP compatible, a UEFI standard. Modern video cards should have a GOP compatible VBIOS, and the Intel iGPU has a GOP compatible VBIOS.

About the NVMe M.2 SSDs, with a Z270 board, if they are in the M.2 slots, they should be recognized in the System Browser tool, NVMe Configuration screen (in Advanced screen, view only), and in the Storage Configuration screen. If an M.2 NVMe is used in an M.2 to PCIe slot adapter card, then the M.2 SSD will NOT be shown in the Storage Configuration screen, and will only be shown in the System Browser tool.

An NVMe SSD should not need to be partitioned as MBR to be recognized in the UEFI or Boot Order. I use many different NVMe SSDs, all GPT partitioned, and they are recognized fine in my ASRock Z270 board. But I allow Windows to partition the SSD during the installation. If an NVMe SSD is MBR partitioned, then it is not fully UEFI booting. UEFI booting requires GPT partitioning.

I wonder about the use of Debian or Ubuntu with NMVe SSDs and these boards, what storage Option ROM in the UEFI will they use? What file systems are you using on the Debian or Ubuntu installations? I wonder if that is related to the poorly formatted text in the F11 boot menu entries?

Do you have the Fast Boot option set to anything besides disabled?

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 10:32pm

" rel="nofollow - Has anyone with this issue tried a full UEFI/BIOS/NVRAM clear by removing the board's battery at the same time as moving the CLR CMOS jumper to the clear position. It seems the NVRAM became corrupted for some reason.

The battery must be left out for at least ten minutes, to allow any charge in the capacitors in the UEFI/BIOS chip power circuit to dissipate.

I believe in an early post in this thread, someone said that the time was not correct in the UEFI or OS. That is usually caused by a bad battery in the board, replacing it is worth doing, the battery is common and not expensive. The battery model is CR2032.

In the UEFI, in the Tools screen there should be an entry for the Boot Manager feature. That allows many more than six boot partition/drive entries. You should be able to edit the name of the drive, etc, for each entry. If the text entry for a drive/OS installation is formatted badly, that might indicate a compatibility issue between the tool and the partitioning or file system used on the drive or partition.

Disabling CSM requires the video source to be GOP compatible, a UEFI standard. Modern video cards should have a GOP compatible VBIOS, and the Intel iGPU has a GOP compatible VBIOS.

About the NVMe M.2 SSDs, with a Z270 board, if they are in the M.2 slots, they should be recognized in the System Browser tool, NVMe Configuration screen (in Advanced screen, view only), and in the Storage Configuration screen. If an M.2 NVMe is used in an M.2 to PCIe slot adapter card, then the M.2 SSD will NOT be shown in the Storage Configuration screen, and will only be shown in the System Browser tool.

An NVMe SSD should not need to be partitioned as MBR to be recognized in the UEFI or Boot Order. I use many different NVMe SSDs, all GPT partitioned, and they are recognized fine in my ASRock Z270 board. But I allow Windows to partition the SSD during the installation. If an NVMe SSD is MBR partitioned, then it is not fully UEFI booting. UEFI booting requires GPT partitioning.

I wonder about the use of Debian or Ubuntu with NMVe SSDs and these boards, what storage Option ROM in the UEFI will they use? What file systems are you using on the Debian or Ubuntu installations? I wonder if that is related to the poorly formatted text in the F11 boot menu entries?

Do you have the Fast Boot option set to anything besides disabled?

Seems like the problem here must be M.2 SSDs as this is the common factor between us all. I'd like to pull the m.2 drive out and see how the boot menu behaves, but to be able to access the drive in the back of the motherboard the entire thing needs to be taken apart and I have liquid cooling installed, etc. Too much of a hassle

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 11:01pm

Seems like the problem here must be M.2 SSDs as this is the common factor between us all. I'd like to pull the m.2 drive out and see how the boot menu behaves, but to be able to access the drive in the back of the motherboard the entire thing needs to be taken apart and I have liquid cooling installed, etc. Too much of a hassle

Or perhaps more specifically, the length of the text of each of the boot order entries, when using an M.2 SSD as the OS drive, in UEFI booting mode. For example, my boot order entry is:

Windows Boot Manager Samsung 960 EVO

I noticed in the Boot Manager feature screen, which allows you to enter the text for the boot device, it is limited in length. All I could enter was, "Windows Boot Man".

The best I could do now, as I've been running an Optane accelerated SATA SSD as the OS drive recently for testing purposes, is to put my original 960 EVO OS drive installation back into this PC, and check the results with the F11 screen. That only gives me two entries, but we'll see.

-------------

Posted By: asroro
Date Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 1:33am
Same problem here with following configuration:

i7 8600, Samsung Pro SSD (1TB, 250GB), 2x Hitachi as Raid1 each 2TB, AsRock z170 extreme7+

Everything was working until i reinstalled windows and moved from UEFI to MBR (because i want to use veracrypt for everything).
Running Fedora 28 on the 250gb SSD with LUKS and Win7 on the 1TB SSD.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net