AMD Ryzen 5 1600
520 Watt Seasonic S12II Bronze Non-Modular 80+ Bronze
250GB Samsung 850 Evo 2.5"
1000GB Seagate BarraCuda ST1000DM010
8GB (2x 4096MB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2400 DIMM CL16-16-16-39 Dual Kit
ASRock AB350M Pro4
3GB Asus GeForce GTX 1060
Windows 10 Pro 64bit

I was having troubles with my graphics display, and after trying and ruling out everything I could find, the only thing left was to update my Bios from 2.1 to 2.5

The Bios update went through successfully, but unfortunately afterwards my build won't POST anymore. Leds and fans turn on, but nothing beyond that, and no beeps of any kind.

Tried removing my RAM and booting with that it does give the error beeps, hopefully indicating my Motherboard is still functional.

Any advice on how to get it to boot?

Replies:
Posted By: Jm62383
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 12:27am
Try turning off your power supply via the switch on the back -> then hit the power button to remove residual power -> remove the CMOS battery -> use the bios reset jumper, leaving it jumper-ed for 10 mins -> return everything back to normal and try to boot.

If that doesnt work, You can also try putting the bios image on a usb drive and and try to boot the system. It "may" recover itself.

Posted By: wardog
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 12:31am
" rel="nofollow -
Originally posted by Jm62383 Jm62383 wrote:

Try turning off your power supply via the switch on the back -> then hit the power button to remove residual power -> remove the CMOS battery -> use the bios reset jumper, leaving it jumper-ed for 10 mins -> return everything back to normal and try to boot.

If that doesnt work, You can also try putting the bios image on a usb drive and and try to boot the system. It "may" recover itself.

A word of caution.

Depending what or why it's failing to boot, turning off power immediately after a (bad?)flash may brick your board.

Posted By: Jokro
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 12:44am
" rel="nofollow - Do I have other options?

The flash was from Asrock's site and Bios told me the update was successful. After the update it automatically restarted but failed to POST.

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 12:46am
I assumed it was already off..hes here asking for help lol.

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 12:47am
" rel="nofollow - Your 520w Seasonic is also cutting it close powering that 3GB 1060. Minimum recommended for that card is 450w.

NewEgg began selling this PSU back in May 2010. Depending on its age it may have shed off some watts through the years(?) possibly making it not up to the task at hand now.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151094

Posted By: Xaltar
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 12:48am
" rel="nofollow - http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=630&title=how-to-clear-cmos-via-battery-removal

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 12:49am

I assumed it was already off..hes here asking for help lol.

Duh. You're correct. Embarrassed

I trust he wasn't swapping memory in and out while powered up.

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 12:58am
I just hope he doesnt have a bricked board like I got when I updated my bios via the windows utility...Im glad they removed that option lol.

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 3:21am

Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

" rel="nofollow - http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=630&title=how-to-clear-cmos-via-battery-removal

Removed CMOS battery for about 2 hours, afterwards POST and boot both went great. Thank you very much!

Now to hope the Bios update helps me fix my original issue.

Posted By: Xaltar
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 3:40am
Great to hear it Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 9:38am
Glad to help...you got off
easier than i did!

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 9:53am
Originally posted by Jokro Jokro wrote:

Removed CMOS battery for about 2 hours, afterwards POST and boot both went great. Thank you very much!

Hooray! Great news.

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 6:23pm
" rel="nofollow - After the Bios update my original problem with graphics display is fixed slightly, I no longer get Blue screens.

However, when I try to play any game on Steam, I get a few second freezes every few seconds. Basically 50% of the time works fine and the other half my screen is frozen. After this for ~10 minutes, the game will freeze completely.

So far I've tried:
-Cleaning display drivers with DDU, cleaning registery with CCleaner and then reinstalling drivers.
-Cleaning display drivers with DDU, cleaning registery with CCleaner and then installing older drivers.
-Running system check for corrupt files
-Checking my drives for any corruptions
-Complete clean reinstalling Windows 10
-Reinstalled Windows 10 again, but didn't update it to try out if any windows update was causing it
-Now did the Bios update

Basically I feel that a part of my hardware is defect, but is my GPU? My motherboard possibly? My PSU as you pointed out?

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 10:38pm

easier than i did!

Biting my tongue trying not to make a snide remark ............ EmbarrassedTongue

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 10:51pm
" rel="nofollow - Lets cover the basics first.

1. If you haven't yet, download and install the latest AMD Chipset drivers
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download - scroll to the bottom, ""AMD Chipset, AHCI, USB 3.0 and RAID Drivers""

2. Nothing astray in Device Manager?  No missing drivers there?

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 11:46pm
Yeah I have to agree, sounds like a device driver, not a hardware issue. when you are installing your chipset/video card drivers make sure you temp disable windows defender...That gave me alot of issues with AMD drivers. Failed/Partial installs.

Your PSU should be sufficient, maybe not the most efficient, but adequate to run your system.. Coolermaster has a calculator to help judge about how many watts ure system should use/need.

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

easier than i did!

Biting my tongue trying not to make a snide remark ............ EmbarrassedTongue
lol

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 5:05am

" rel="nofollow - Lets cover the basics first.

1. If you haven't yet, download and install the latest AMD Chipset drivers
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download - scroll to the bottom, ""AMD Chipset, AHCI, USB 3.0 and RAID Drivers""

2. Nothing astray in Device Manager?  No missing drivers there?

I installed those Chipset drivers, then reinstalled Steam as well. Made sure to have Windows Defencer off during the driver installs and added the whole steam folder to the Exceptions list.

Tried to game and it worked perfectly with no stutters or freezes whatsoever for about 10 minutes. After that the screen stopped and I got "Application has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware" error and a few seconds later Bluescreen with "VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR." After restarting my computer games now freeze constantly from the get-go. Essentially back to square one.

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 5:20am
Or not quite as bad actually. I restarted again and was able to play for 10 minutes again before the freezes started happening. Closed the game this time before crashing though, and seems stable at desktop.

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 5:55am
" rel="nofollow - Using HWMonitor to check what happens with my temperatures etc while these freezes happen.

All my voltages seem fine and stable, expect I for my CPU VCORE voltage, which fluctuates between 2.5V and 2.8V even while idling. This is apparently insanely high?

As for the freezes, whenever one happens my case fans try to accelerate to ~60000 rpm for a spit-second, cant even hear them speeding up but the number flashes on HWMonitor and sets a max value.

GPU usage jumps to 100%, powers to 50% and voltage from baseline 0.65V to 1.0V. During the freeze these all reset to idling levels, then start to rise again when freeze ends.

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 6:25am
" rel="nofollow - Tried HWinfo as well, it gives more reasonable VCORE voltage at 1.4V, but that is still pretty high for idling system, right?

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 6:34am
Na. That "VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR" is related to bad GPU drivers, system drivers(natch, updated), or corrupt system files(SFC)

First lets address the likely culprit:
1. Grab DDU and run it - https://www.wagnardsoft.com/" rel="nofollow - https://www.wagnardsoft.com/
2. Reboot after
3. Install the latest GTX 1060 graphics card drivers - http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/120486/en-us" rel="nofollow - http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/120486/en-us
4. Reboot after

Test if it's doing the same or if these two remedied it and reply back please.

Posted By: parsec
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 8:30am

" rel="nofollow - Tried HWinfo as well, it gives more reasonable VCORE voltage at 1.4V, but that is still pretty high for idling system, right?

Are you using the default UEFI/BIOS settings for VCore? Default/Auto processor voltage settings are always higher than necessary, to account for varying qualities of processors. Mobo manufactures use generous default VCore settings to insure all processors will work without issues with default settings.

What about the CPU power saving options like Cool N Quiet and C States, are they enabled? Do you see the cores at the same speed all the time, or do they drop to a lower speed under idle conditions?

HWiNFO usually shows several voltages related to the CPU and cores. At the top of the Sensor display, the core VIDs are shown, which are the maximum voltages requested by the CPU, which is usually more than is actually used.

Farther down in the Sensor display, in the section where the board's fan speeds are shown, there is a VCore reading. Is that what you listed? If not, what do you see in that section for the VCore?

If none of the CPU power saving options are enabled, and you're using the High Performance Windows Power Plan, then the CPU will always run at its highest speed, and the VCore will remain high at idle. That does not cover all the potential reasons for a constant, unchanging VCore value. What is or should be is based upon many things, it's not a simple question.

You haven't said anything about the CPU temperature and the video card temperature while gaming. We have no idea about the PC case or the case fan configuration, or the CPU cooler you are using. Excessive temperatures in a video card causes problems, and with the CPU too.

The fan speed reading when the PC freezes is just bad data coming into HWMonitor, or the program itself failing and displaying a bad fan speed reading. No PC fan can reach 60,000 RPM, and as you said you don't even hear them at their own maximum speed, so they really never changed speed.

Since HWMonitor is showing a VCore of 2.8V, which is twice the 1.4V you see in HWiNFO, that means HWMonitor has not been updated to work with ASRock Ryzen boards, or at least the version you are using is not compatible with Ryzen systems. We saw the same doubled VCore reading in CPU-Z 1.79, now fixed in 1.79.1.

-------------
http://valid.x86.fr/48rujh" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 10:09am
" rel="nofollow - You could try ryzen master to see the voltage? Im currently running my 1700 @ 3.7 and only using 1.21-ish vcore. Was using 1.18v until 1.0.0.6, going above 3200 mem required more voltage i guess.

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Since HWMonitor is showing a VCore of 2.8V, which is twice the 1.4V you see in HWiNFO, that means HWMonitor has not been updated to work with ASRock Ryzen boards, or at least the version you are using is not compatible with Ryzen systems. We saw the same doubled VCore reading in CPU-Z 1.79, now fixed in 1.79.1.

Actually, CPU-z and HWMonitor were, corrected in newest versions, adding SoC and vCore together.

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 7:14pm

Na. That "VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR" is related to bad GPU drivers, system drivers(natch, updated), or corrupt system files(SFC)

1. Grab DDU and run it - https://www.wagnardsoft.com/" rel="nofollow - https://www.wagnardsoft.com/
2. Reboot after
3. Install the latest GTX 1060 graphics card drivers - http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/120486/en-us" rel="nofollow - http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/120486/en-us
4. Reboot after

Did exactly that, and this time excluded DDU folder from Windows Defencer as well just to be sure.

Still freezing, and now I'm getting "Application has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware" instead of Blue screen. That completely froze my computer, had to hard restart with the power button.

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 7:27pm
" rel="nofollow -

Are you using the default UEFI/BIOS settings for VCore? Default/Auto processor voltage settings are always higher than necessary, to account for varying qualities of processors. Mobo manufactures use generous default VCore settings to insure all processors will work without issues with default settings.

What about the CPU power saving options like Cool N Quiet and C States, are they enabled? Do you see the cores at the same speed all the time, or do they drop to a lower speed under idle conditions?

HWiNFO usually shows several voltages related to the CPU and cores. At the top of the Sensor display, the core VIDs are shown, which are the maximum voltages requested by the CPU, which is usually more than is actually used.

Farther down in the Sensor display, in the section where the board's fan speeds are shown, there is a VCore reading. Is that what you listed? If not, what do you see in that section for the VCore?

If none of the CPU power saving options are enabled, and you're using the High Performance Windows Power Plan, then the CPU will always run at its highest speed, and the VCore will remain high at idle. That does not cover all the potential reasons for a constant, unchanging VCore value. What is or should be is based upon many things, it's not a simple question.

You haven't said anything about the CPU temperature and the video card temperature while gaming. We have no idea about the PC case or the case fan configuration, or the CPU cooler you are using. Excessive temperatures in a video card causes problems, and with the CPU too.

The fan speed reading when the PC freezes is just bad data coming into HWMonitor, or the program itself failing and displaying a bad fan speed reading. No PC fan can reach 60,000 RPM, and as you said you don't even hear them at their own maximum speed, so they really never changed speed.

Default BIOS settings.

Cool 'n' Quite is enabled
AMD fTPM is disabled
SVM mode is disabled
C6 mode is enabled

Core VIDs are all 0.994V

That is the Vcore I listed, it fluctuates between 0.7V and 1.4V

I am using "AMD Ryzen Balanced" power plan, which came with the latest chipset drivers

My temperatures are 35C across the board while idle, and raise no higher than 45C when gaming. Using Ryzen's stock cooler.

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 7:56pm
And got blue screen with the same error message yet again.

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 9:31pm
Download and run memtest. Just to eliminate a memory problem.

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 11:08pm
" rel="nofollow -

Default BIOS settings.

Cool 'n' Quite is enabled
AMD fTPM is disabled
SVM mode is disabled
C6 mode is enabled

Core VIDs are all 0.994V

That is the Vcore I listed, it fluctuates between 0.7V and 1.4V

I am using "AMD Ryzen Balanced" power plan, which came with the latest chipset drivers

My temperatures are 35C across the board while idle, and raise no higher than 45C when gaming. Using Ryzen's stock cooler.

You lost me now. Previously you wrote you were idling at 1.4V, and asked isn't that high. Now you said it fluctuates between 0.7V and 1.4V. That is normal when the power saving options are enabled.

So how is it idling at 1.4V? When the PC starts, it may take a few minutes for the CPU power saving options to engage. After that the VCore will be reduced under low CPU load conditions.

Again, the 1.4V VCore is caused by the default VCore settings, which you are using.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 11:10pm

Actually, CPU-z and HWMonitor were, corrected in newest versions, adding SoC and vCore together.

Obviously he was not using the latest version of HWMonitor.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 2:03am
" rel="nofollow -

You lost me now. Previously you wrote you were idling at 1.4V, and asked isn't that high. Now you said it fluctuates between 0.7V and 1.4V. That is normal when the power saving options are enabled.

So how is it idling at 1.4V? When the PC starts, it may take a few minutes for the CPU power saving options to engage. After that the VCore will be reduced under low CPU load conditions.

Again, the 1.4V VCore is caused by the default VCore settings, which you are using.

It was at steady 1.4V when I checked it with HWinfo back then.

Now after reinstalling the graphics drivers and checking the value again, it was fluctuating between 0.7V and 1.4V.

But what I gather from this is that the voltages are fine and not the cause of my problems?

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 11:22am
" rel="nofollow - Did u happen to try memtest?

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 5:49pm
Yeah, ran the memtest a few times, got 0 errors every time.

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 8:32pm
" rel="nofollow - Any chance you have a spare gpu to swap with?

Date Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 7:50pm

" rel="nofollow - Any chance you have a spare gpu to swap with?

I don't.

Is there any thing else I could try on the software side, or is it time to RMA my Motherboard or GPU?

Date Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 10:14pm

2. Reboot after
4. Reboot after

Did exactly that, and this time excluded DDU folder from Windows Defencer as well just to be sure.

Still freezing, and now I'm getting "Application has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware" instead of Blue screen. That completely froze my computer, had to hard restart with the power button.

It's Steam related. Not GPU or motherboard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmaIR_7gRhk

Post back after following the instruction in the above video.

Date Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 10:16pm

2. Reboot after
4. Reboot after

When you posted "Application has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware" that set off bells and whistles here. Application huh? Hmmm, OK I said ...........

Date Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 8:09pm
" rel="nofollow -

Didn't help, got freezing still and Blue screen with "VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR" again within 30 seconds.

EDIT:
Tried again and this time got the "Application has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware" again.

I've tried both Windows 7 and Windows 8 compatibility modes.

Date Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 12:23am
" rel="nofollow - This is Steam related. I'm 99.99% sure.

Have you posted this in the Steam forums? It could be something as simple/stupid as the graphics driver rev you're using.

Date Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 4:20am
I tried installing and playing a non-Steam game (Overwatch) to confirm if the issue only happens with Steam games.

Right after launching the game I got "Your rendering device has been lost" error and the game closed. Restarted and tried again, got the same error after a few minutes.

Date Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 1:37pm
" rel="nofollow - alot of people are having that error with overwatch...Any other games you might test it with? Im leaning toward a faulty gpu myself, wish you had an old one to swap in to test with...maybe a friend has one?

Date Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 2:49pm

" rel="nofollow - alot of people are having that error with overwatch...Any other games you might test it with? Im leaning toward a faulty gpu myself, wish you had an old one to swap in to test with...maybe a friend has one?

In Googling his last post, error "Your rendering device has been lost", that seems to be related to GPU overheating issues.

I saw one screen that was nothing but vertical tears onscreen, which Jocro hasn't mentioned.

Most say to lower res and bump till hitting this again, some say to close the Blizzard app after game launch, and a reg hack that works for some and not others.

I'm glad I don't game.

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 12:23am
" rel="nofollow - Think it would over heat the GPU on program launch tho? I mean I guess if its already running hot, the game startup could put it over the top. Maybe take the side panel off and box fan it and see what happens?

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 6:52am

" rel="nofollow - Think it would over heat the GPU on program launch tho? I mean I guess if its already running hot, the game startup could put it over the top. Maybe take the side panel off and box fan it and see what happens?

I experienced that screen above. Once.

The heatsink on a now not rememberd GPU was hanging there by 1 of the 4 push-pins meant to secure it.

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 12:25pm
I havent had anything that bad but my XFX rx480 GTR did heat up rather bad causing the fan to screaaaammmm after gaming for a bit til I took it apart and saw the horrible TIM job that was done at the factory...replaced it with mx4 and now I hardly hear the fans kick on at all.

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2017 at 1:03am
" rel="nofollow - Tried a different PCI-e slot, didn't do anything, exactly same problems.

I managed to borrow a GTX 1050, which works solely on motherboard power and doesn't require additional power cable. But after installing it, I can't get my build to POST again.

I put the 1060 back in and removed display drivers with DDU, then tried the 1050 again with no luck. I'm currently resetting CMOS if that could help.

Does my motherboard even support onboard power GPUs?

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2017 at 1:14am
" rel="nofollow -

Does my motherboard even support onboard power GPUs?

That's a silly question.

Of course.

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2017 at 1:30am
CMOS reset didn't help, and now that I'm taking a closer look the fans on the 1050 aren't even spinning, so it must not be getting power.

I looked through the BIOS but didn't find any settings related to PCI-e slot power.

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2017 at 2:29am

I managed to borrow a GTX 1050, which works solely on motherboard power and doesn't require additional power cable. But after installing it, I can't get my build to POST again.

Who you borrowed the 1050, ask for a PSU next.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net