Print Page | Close Window

Use present SSD (boot drive) in new Z97Pro4?

Printed From: ASRock.com
Category: Technical Support
Forum Name: Intel Motherboards
Forum Description: Question about ASRock Intel Motherboards
URL: https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5895
Printed Date: 19 May 2024 at 1:20am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Use present SSD (boot drive) in new Z97Pro4?
Posted By: Kerry
Subject: Use present SSD (boot drive) in new Z97Pro4?
Date Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 10:48am
" rel="nofollow - Aloha all.

Can I just plug in my present SSD boot drive to my new Z97Pro4 (SATA3 0) port and have it boot to Windows 10 as it does now with my old MOBO?

Thanks, Kerry

Replies:
Posted By: ASRock_TSD
Date Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 11:21am
" rel="nofollow -

Dear Kerry,

Thank you for choosing ASRock and contacting us.

Regarding your question, we suggest installing the clean Windows instead of moving the SSD from another system.

Because the hardware is different, it may cause some system unstable or even cannot boot up.

Thank you!

Yours truly,

ASRock TSD

Posted By: parsec
Date Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 11:21am
Originally posted by Kerry Kerry wrote:

" rel="nofollow - Aloha all.

Can I just plug in my present SSD boot drive to my new Z97Pro4 (SATA3 0) port and have it boot to Windows 10 as it does now with my old MOBO?

Thanks, Kerry

What was your old mother board? Full model name will be enough.

In general, we do not recommend doing that. It is unlikely that the most of the chips like the chipset, network chip, audio chip, etc, are not the same as your old board. If it was an AMD board, it will be even more likely very different.

We have heard of people doing what you asked, and it apparently worked. Windows installed the new, needed drivers, but you can never be sure if everything was installed. That is why you should at least install the new board's chipset drivers, and for Intel boards, the IME software. If you are using RAID on the old and new board, and the old board is AMD, the RAID array drives will fail and be unreadable on the new system.

Finally, if you get weird issues, they can rarely be fixed, since the Windows registry from the old board is now being used by the new one, with obsolete and possibly multiple, contradictory entries. That is not the only reason for strange issues in that situation.

Bottom line, do that at your own risk.

-------------
http://valid.x86.fr/48rujh" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 11:55am
" rel="nofollow - Thanks for the speedy reply.

Re: "In general, we do not recommend doing that." This senior was afraid of that. I do understand about the conflicts with the various drivers in my ASUS P8P67.

I don't have a CD of Windows 10 Pro. I've been upgrading since Windows 7 so I think I'd have to install 7 then upgrade to 10 if it's even possible.

I do have the product key for W10 Pro x64. I dread having to relearn how to do the ISO trick.

I just ordered a new Samsung T5 Portable SSD - 250GB - USB 3.1 External SSD so as to make a copy of my boot SSD in case I mess everything up. Will it help with the transition?

Posted By: wardog
Date Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 1:46pm

I don't have a CD of Windows 10 Pro. I've been upgrading since Windows 7 so I think I'd have to install 7 then upgrade to 10 if it's even possible.

I do have the product key for W10 Pro x64. I dread having to relearn how to do the ISO trick.

Oh hell no. Don't fool around with Rufus.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10" rel="nofollow - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Download a 10 ISO using the above tool and let it make a bootable USB stick to install from

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 1:53pm
And I would highly advise to start with a FRESH Win10 Creators Edition.

Upgrading to Creators some/most times creates issues.

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 6:57pm
Thanks will try it.

I'm not understanding your advice about "...creators." I couldn't install it because my key is for W10 pro.

Much appreciation

PS: The https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10" rel="nofollow - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 link in your reply is high jacked by ads. One must then take another step to get to the media creation tool. The URL is the very same URL that the tool is on https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10" rel="nofollow - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 .

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 7:00pm

Thanks will try it.

I'm not understanding your advice about "...creators." I couldn't install it because my key is for W10 pro.

Much appreciation

Windows 10 Creators Edition is the newest 10 release.

All 10 keys work just fine.

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 7:04pm
" rel="nofollow - So my W10 key will install Windows 10 Creators Edition?

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 10:19pm

Thanks will try it.

Much appreciation

PS: The https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10" rel="nofollow - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 link in your reply is high jacked by ads. One must then take another step to get to the media creation tool. The URL is the very same URL that the tool is on https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10" rel="nofollow - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 .

I had no problem with the link provided above, and if I click on the link to download the MediaCreationTool, its download box appeared immediately. I saw no ads whatsoever. Ads for what, on an MSoft website? It sounds like your browser is infected with some type of malware.

You tried to install Creators update at one time with your Win 10 key, and it didn't work? It should work, I just had a Windows 10 Home installation updated to Creators update via Windows update automatically. Using it now, no problems. I believe MSoft originally had issues with updating to Creators, but that should be fixed now.

Using a Windows ISO is not difficult. Any USB flash drive that I have out of the box is bootable. As said above, no need for Rufus. Sometimes flash drives larger than 16GB will have problems for some reason.

To use the ISO, once it is done downloading via the WindowsCreationTool, right click on its icon and select Mount. You should then see the Windows Explorer screen display all the ISO files. You then need to Select All of the files, so they are highlighted. Next you right click in the middle of the highlighted area, and find the Send to entry. The USB flash drive should be in the PC at that point. Find the USB flash drive in the Send to list, and select it. You should then see the Windows file copy dialog box, showing the copy of the ISO to the flash drive. That takes a few minutes, but that's all there is to it. When the copy is complete, you will need to right click on the ISO file and select Unmount, or it will appear as a drive in the Explorer drive list. That's it for the ISO trick.

You will need to select the ISO file option when using the Creation tool. The prompts asking what you want to do are to me clear, but if you have questions let us know.

Be sure to use a USB port on the board's IO panel. If you have a USB 3.0 flash drive, you should be able to use a USB 3.0 port, otherwise use a USB 2.0 port.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 8:02am
" rel="nofollow - When I use the Media Creation Tool to make an iso.exe file to a USB?”from my present Windows 10 Pro?”does it contain all the applications, programs, saved documents, music, etc.? 

I'm about to swap the old MOBO for a new MOBO and I don't want to lose anything. 

I don't plan on upgrading to W10 Creators.

Thanks, Kerry 

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 12:27pm
" rel="nofollow -

When I use the Media Creation Tool to make an iso.exe file to a USB?�from my present Windows 10 Pro?�does it contain all the applications, programs, saved documents, music, etc.? 

I'm about to swap the old MOBO for a new MOBO and I don't want to lose anything. 

I don't plan on upgrading to W10 Creators.

Thanks, Kerry 

Any Windows ISO created with the Creation tool will NOT include anything whatsoever of your personal files, programs, etc, sorry to say.

Any Windows installation media whether optical disk or ISO on a USB flash drive is strictly the Windows OS files, and nothing else. Microsoft does not provide any type of utility to combine an old Windows installation containing personal files with a new one.

What you'd like to do has been asked about for years by many people, installing Windows on new hardware and easily combining that with an existing, personalized Windows installation used with older hardware, in one or two easy steps. If a method to do that existed, we would have told you about it.

The only possible method to do what you want to do would be to boot your existing Windows installation on the new mother board, and hope it starts. Immediately after that, you would start the Windows Recovery from Control Panel, Troubleshooting, and then perform a Windows Reset, with the option of keeping your personal files. There is risk involved in that of course. That would also depend upon Windows update installing all the new drivers you need, or you installing them yourself. Not to mention cleaning up all the unused drivers and software no longer usable by the new hardware.

Even if you had backups of you current Windows installation that you were certain you could use to restore it, we can't predict what might happen or be 100% able to bail you out if something went wrong. There's a big difference between providing information on a page like this, instead of sitting in front of a PC and be able to control exactly what is happening at every step.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 5:47am
Thanks parsec,

I'm beginning to understand.

I read that one can delete the various drivers (except for keyboard and mouse) and then swap old board for new board and then use say, Driver Support, to install new drivers. Would that be any less risky than ". . . boot your existing Windows installation on the new mother board, and hope it starts."

Kerry 

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 11:36am
" rel="nofollow -

Thanks parsec,

I'm beginning to understand.

I read that one can delete the various drivers (except for keyboard and mouse) and then swap old board for new board and then use say, Driver Support, to install new drivers. Would that be any less risky than ". . . boot your existing Windows installation on the new mother board, and hope it starts."

Kerry 

I've never done that but it could work. Since you are going from an Intel chipset board (P67) to another Intel chipset board (Z97), that is less of a shock than going from an AMD board to Intel board.

That would be a somewhat laborious task, but identify what audio, network, etc chips, and video driver (do you use the Intel graphics, or a video card?) your old board has that are different than the new board. They probably all are different, or as you said, just uninstall via Windows most of the old board's drivers. Then restart the PC so Windows 10 will install the generic Windows drivers, that is a REQUIRED step. You may want to do that in a few steps, rather than uninstall all the drivers at once.

BUT one potential problem with that is, after you boot Windows 10, Windows update will soon attempt to update at least some of those drivers from the Windows generic versions, to the same or similar version to what you just uninstalled! To avoid that, simply disconnect the network cable to the PC, or disable the wireless networking if you use that. Does that make sense?

Be sure you have backups you are confident you can restore if something goes wrong. I assume you will be using the same PC case, PSU, etc, and are just changing the mother board and CPU, and possibly the memory? That of course is more risky than moving the drive from one complete PC to another complete PC.

I would also highly recommend that you start the new board and CPU before you try booting your SSD. That is, install it in the PC case, and be sure you can start it and get into the UEFI/BIOS. That way you know it works fine before you try to boot your current Win 10 installation.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 6:14pm
" rel="nofollow - Re: "I would also highly recommend that you start the new board and CPU before you try booting your SSD." Would I do this before I plugged in the SSD?

Thanks so much for your support. I've built two other rigs but I've forgotten most everything. I will be using the same case, PSU, and graphics card but new memory. I've got several backups and a separate USB that contains all the programs and I use Thunderbird so I'm ok with its Mozbackup app.

I'm starting to think it would be smarter to use the Media Creation Tool. Just to be sure, it grabs a fresh copy of W10 from MS, yes?

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 10:17pm
" rel="nofollow -

Re: "I would also highly recommend that you start the new board and CPU before you try booting your SSD." Would I do this before I plugged in the SSD?

Yes, that is the point. You are trying a new board, CPU, and memory for the first time. So you have two unknowns you are dealing with. First, does the new hardware work and is everything connected correctly? Second, you are considering using your current Windows 10 installation with the new hardware, and don't know if that will work or not. If you put both together and try them for the first time, at the same time, if something goes wrong will you know what you need to fix?

Work on one thing at a time. First the new hardware, and then the original goal of using your current Win 10 installation with the new hardware.

Thanks so much for your support. I've built two other rigs but I've forgotten most everything. I will be using the same case, PSU, and graphics card but new memory. I've got several backups and a separate USB that contains all the programs and I use Thunderbird so I'm ok with its Mozbackup app.

I'm starting to think it would be smarter to use the Media Creation Tool. Just to be sure, it grabs a fresh copy of W10 from MS, yes?

So you are giving up on using your current Windows 10 installation, and are committed to installing all of your programs again? Then use your backups to restore your personal files? Just checking.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2017 at 5:47am
Thanks parsec,

I'll report back as to how it goes.

Mucho thankso.
Kerry

Date Posted: 28 Aug 2017 at 7:57am
Happy camper. All's well and noticeably faster.
The only problems are:
1) I don't see a two-conductor connector for the onboard speaker. I've tried plugging the two-conductor plug into the z97's 4-pin "speaker" port to no avail.
2) I don't see where to connect the HDD activity LED on the case.

MS said my W10 Pro product key has been used too many times so I'm buying just the product key ($15) from Amazon.

MS did a remote control of my PC to download and install MS Office Pro Plus 2010 so as to activate it's key. Amazing service.

Again, much appreciation.

Kerry

Date Posted: 28 Aug 2017 at 8:34am
" rel="nofollow -

Happy camper. All's well and noticeably faster.
The only problems are:
1) I don't see a two-conductor connector for the onboard speaker. I've tried plugging the two-conductor plug into the z97's 4-pin "speaker" port to no avail. 2) I don't see where to connect the HDD activity LED on the case.

MS said my W10 Pro product key has been used too many times so I'm buying just the product key ($15) from Amazon.

MS did a remote control of my PC to download and install MS Office Pro Plus 2010 so as to activate it's key. Amazing service.

Again, much appreciation.

Kerry

About the onboard speaker connector, did you enable the Boot Beep option in the UEFI/BIOS, Boot screen? Until you do, you won't hear any beeps.

The HDD activity LED connection is the two pins on the far left, bottom row of pins, on the System Panel Header. They are the two pins just below the Power LED +/- pins.

Your Win 10 product key was used too many times? Never heard of that. How many mother boards could you have used it with? I wonder if that is something new from MSoft?

Let me know if the $15 product key from Amazon actually works.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 7:13am
" rel="nofollow -

Quote About the onboard speaker connector, did you enable the Boot Beep option in the UEFI/BIOS, Boot screen? Until you do, you won't hear any beeps.
Aaah Thanks.

Quote The HDD activity LED connection is the two pins on the far left, bottom row of pins, on the System Panel Header. They are the two pins just below the Power LED +/- pins.
Got it. Thanks

Quote Your Win 10 product key was used too many times? Never heard of that. How many mother boards could you have used it with? I wonder if that is something new from MSoft?.
I've been upgrading for many versions; this has been my third build.

Quote Let me know if the $15 product key from Amazon actually works.
Will do.

Much thanks, Kerry

Date Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 9:17am
" rel="nofollow - Can I prevent the "Copyright ..." screen from appearing during boot? 

Thanks Kerry

Date Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 10:19am

" rel="nofollow - Can I prevent the "Copyright ..." screen from appearing during boot? 

Thanks Kerry

Do you mean the ASRock screen, or the Windows booting screen?

Same option that it always has been. In the UEFI/BIOS, Boot screen, set Full Screen Logo to Disabled.

Doing that won't make the PC start any faster.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 5:39pm
Re: "set Full Screen Logo to Disabled" Yes, I've done that. The screen is mostly black with about 7 lines of info beginning with "Copyright..."  But you say that the time it takes to display that screen doesn't affect load time so I can check off that question. Thanks.

Date Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 10:11pm
" rel="nofollow -

Re: "set Full Screen Logo to Disabled" Yes, I've done that. The screen is mostly black with about 7 lines of info beginning with "Copyright..."  But you say that the time it takes to display that screen doesn't affect load time so I can check off that question. Thanks.

If you have a POST beep speaker connected to the board, and the Boot Beep option enabled in the Boot screen, you would learn that screen is shown during the POST procedure. You'll see a POST code or two displayed on the screen you described.

When POST completes successfully, you would hear a single POST Ok beep, and the screen will change to the Windows loading screen. So unless you want to disable POST (you can't), you'll either see that display, or the ASRock "splash" screen when Full Screen Logo is enabled.

So apparently your $15 Windows 10 key worked?

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 6:31pm
" rel="nofollow - Anyone know what the optimum temps are for the CPU and MOBO. Mine CPU temp is 49.5c. The motherboard temp is 31.0c.

New system:

MOBO: ASRock Z97 Pro 4
BIOS: version P 2.20

Processor: i7-4790K 4.1 - 4.4 GHz, cores, 8MB Cache (Model:
BX80646I74790K)
CPU Cooling: Intel Heatsink Fan Thermal Controlled
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400MHz C11, 1.65v
Power Supply: Ultra 600 3X
ULT40073
PCX Video: nVidia GeForce GTS 450, PCI-Express 2.0, dual Monitor DVI, DVI, Mini-HDMI,Wireless Type: 802.11bgn
Monitors: 30" Dell and 19" ViewSonic
C: Samsung SSD 850 Pro, 256GB 
D: OCZ Vertex 256GB

Samsung Portable SSD T5-
Windows 10 Pro X64
Spectrum  72.7 Mbps  
TRENDnet?™s AC1900 Dual Band Wireless Router, model TEW-818DRU

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 9:57pm
" rel="nofollow -

Anyone know what the optimum temps are for the CPU and MOBO. Mine CPU temp is 49.5c. The motherboard temp is 31.0c.

New system:

MOBO: ASRock Z97 Pro 4
BIOS: version ?

Processor: i7-4790K 4.1 - 4.4 GHz, cores, 8MB Cache (Model:
BX80646I74790K)
CPU Cooling: Intel Heatsink Fan Thermal Controlled
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400MHz C11, 1.65v
Power Supply: Ultra 600 3X
ULT40073
PCX Video: nVidia GeForce GTS 450, PCI-Express 2.0, dual Monitor DVI, DVI, Mini-HDMI,Wireless Type: 802.11bgn
Monitors: 30??Dell and 19??ViewSonic
C: Samsung SSD 850 Pro, 256GB 
D: OCZ Vertex 256GB

Samsung Portable SSD T5NDnet?�s AC1900 Dual Band Wireless Router, model TEW-
Windows 10 Pro X64
Road Runner 50 MB High Speed 

Extremely general question, without details of the situation or usage of the PC. The extremely general answer is as low as reasonably possible.

Is the CPU temperature under low load conditions, at idle? CPU power saving options enabled? Any type of over clock applied to the CPU? Your CPU's throttling temperature is 100C.

The Intel stock CPU cooler usually is the most minimal CPU cooling "solution" that could be used. Particularly for a Haswell Devils Canyon processor. Can't expect great cooling at all from the Intel supplied CPU cooler. That was probably the last generation of the top 'K' Mainstream/Performance processors from Intel that shipped with their CPU cooler, since enthusiasts won't use it. My i7-7700K idles below 30C, but I have a much more substantial CPU cooler and well ventilated PC case.

Also, the PC case and number and location of the chassis fans is a factor regarding CPU and mother board temperature. The single "mother board" temperature is virtually useless besides as a very basic indicator of air flow across the board. The chipset and CPU VRM temperatures are much more important.

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 5:31am
Thanks  parsec.

It's not overclocked, no games, mostly non-stop editing throughout the day.

I'm mainly concerned that the temps I'm seeing are acceptable.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net