Print Page | Close Window

X399 TR + 64GB ECC UDIMM Memory

Printed From: ASRock.com
Category: Technical Support
Forum Name: AMD Motherboards
Forum Description: Question about ASRock AMD motherboards
URL: https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5936
Printed Date: 21 Jun 2024 at 9:11am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com


Topic: X399 TR + 64GB ECC UDIMM Memory
Posted By: sfchun
Subject: X399 TR + 64GB ECC UDIMM Memory
Date Posted: 28 Aug 2017 at 9:10am
" rel="nofollow - Hello 

I globaly trust in Asrock more than others regarding the follow up on BIOS updates and product quality.
This is why I dare posting here hoping for an answer :)

I'm currently thinking of building a big personal home server (multipurpose).
Threadripper is a big oportunity for my project.
Since this project is pretty much important in term of data/calculation, also I will be using ubuntu and open ZFS filesystem.
In my case 64GB of ECC memory is a must have
I dont see x399 motherboards providing real support for 64GB ECC ...  :/ 

From what I could see the following memory modules are configured in Epyc CPU configurations (up to 2 TB).
http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ct16g4xfd824a" rel="nofollow - Crucial 16GB DDR4-2400 ECC UDIMM VLP - CT16G4XFD824A

Can I expect 64GB ECC on one of theses boards ?? or any future TR motherboard products ??
http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X399%20Taichi/index.asp#Memory" rel="nofollow - X399 Taichi memory support list
http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty%20X399%20Professional%20Gaming/index.asp#Memory" rel="nofollow - Fatal1ty X399 Professional Gaming memory support list




Replies:
Posted By: parsec
Date Posted: 28 Aug 2017 at 11:24am
Originally posted by sfchun sfchun wrote:

" rel="nofollow - Hello 

I globaly trust in Asrock more than others regarding the follow up on BIOS updates and product quality.
This is why I dare posting here hoping for an answer :)

I'm currently thinking of building a big personal home server (multipurpose).
Threadripper is a big oportunity for my project.
Since this project is pretty much important in term of data/calculation, also I will be using ubuntu and open ZFS filesystem.
In my case 64GB of ECC memory is a must have
I dont see x399 motherboards providing real support for 64GB ECC ...  :/ 

From what I could see the following memory modules are configured in Epyc CPU configurations (up to 2 TB).
http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ct16g4xfd824a" rel="nofollow - Crucial 16GB DDR4-2400 ECC UDIMM VLP - CT16G4XFD824A

Can I expect 64GB ECC on one of theses boards ?? or any future TR motherboard products ??
http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X399%20Taichi/index.asp#Memory" rel="nofollow - X399 Taichi memory support list
http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty%20X399%20Professional%20Gaming/index.asp#Memory" rel="nofollow - Fatal1ty X399 Professional Gaming memory support list



Why don't you see X399 boards providing real support for 64GB of ECC memory? What does not providing real support for ECC memory mean?

Simply that you don't find any ECC memory in the Memory QVL of these boards?

Threadripper processor's memory controller supports ECC memory, although you'll need to dig through AMD's specs to find it. Apparently not cool to support ECC memory?

Next, if we check the specs of both of the ASRock X399 boards, we find this:

Supports DDR4 3600+(OC)/3200(OC)/2933(OC)/2667/2400/2133 ECC & non-ECC, un-buffered memory

That's at least a basic spec for ECC support.

If we check Crucial's mother board compatibility for the Crucial CT16G4XFD824A you asked about, I had a hard time finding any X399 boards at all. So if Crucial doesn't yet know, yes that is kind of questionable.

Of course their compatibility list is not filtered by ECC support, so I found my ASRock X370 board supporting that memory, while compatible Ryzen processors do not support ECC memory. That inspires confidence, right? Confused

That's the best I can tell you currently. It looks like the memory manufactures are getting caught unprepared with Threadripper as badly as they were (are) with Ryzen.



-------------
http://valid.x86.fr/48rujh" rel="nofollow">


Posted By: wardog
Date Posted: 28 Aug 2017 at 3:25pm
The need for ECC memory for use at home is far FAR overrated.


Posted By: sfchun
Date Posted: 28 Aug 2017 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:



Why don't you see X399 boards providing real support for 64GB of ECC memory? What does not providing real support for ECC memory mean?

Simply that you don't find any ECC memory in the Memory QVL of these boards?

Threadripper processor's memory controller supports ECC memory, although you'll need to dig through AMD's specs to find it. Apparently not cool to support ECC memory?

Next, if we check the specs of both of the ASRock X399 boards, we find this:

Supports DDR4 3600+(OC)/3200(OC)/2933(OC)/2667/2400/2133 ECC & non-ECC, un-buffered memory

That's at least a basic spec for ECC support.

If we check Crucial's mother board compatibility for the Crucial CT16G4XFD824A you asked about, I had a hard time finding any X399 boards at all. So if Crucial doesn't yet know, yes that is kind of questionable.

Of course their compatibility list is not filtered by ECC support, so I found my ASRock X370 board supporting that memory, while compatible Ryzen processors do not support ECC memory. That inspires confidence, right? Confused

That's the best I can tell you currently. It looks like the memory manufactures are getting caught unprepared with Threadripper as badly as they were (are) with Ryzen.


Ok I was not clear.
Yes I've read the specs, I saw that X399 boards support UDIMM ECC memory.
But in Memory QVL lists I dont see a configuration tested/approved up to 64GB ECC (or I missunderstood the list which is possible).
When I'm ready to spend quite some money in a configuration, I want to be sure memory has been  tested/approved.
I just dont want to find myself trying my luck :/




Posted By: MisterJ
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 3:14am
sfcchun, here is a post about Ryzen using ECC memory:

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5595&KW=ecc&PID=32901&title=ryzen-1700-on-taichi-x370-no-oc-random-hard-lock#32901

I had to post the URL this way since it contains a question mark (?) and for some reason the forum changes it and it does not work anymore.  Ryzen is new and Threadripper is even newer and the vendors have not done their testing.  I would contact a vendor (my favorite is G.Skill) and make sure if the memory you buy can be RMAed/refunded if it will not work.  They should be able to find a kit that is what you want with timings close to a qualified one.  Their FlareX is made especially for AMD.  Here is their latest announcement: http://gskill.com/en/press/view/g-skill-announces-new-ddr4-specifications-for-amd-ryzen%E2%84%A2-threadripper%E2%84%A2-processors" rel="nofollow - 32GB and 128GB
No question mark in this URL.  Enjoy, John.


-------------
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD


Posted By: sfchun
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 7:21am
Originally posted by MisterJ MisterJ wrote:

sfcchun, here is a post about Ryzen using ECC memory:

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5595&KW=ecc&PID=32901&title=ryzen-1700-on-taichi-x370-no-oc-random-hard-lock#32901

I had to post the URL this way since it contains a question mark (?) and for some reason the forum changes it and it does not work anymore.  Ryzen is new and Threadripper is even newer and the vendors have not done their testing.  I would contact a vendor (my favorite is G.Skill) and make sure if the memory you buy can be RMAed/refunded if it will not work.  They should be able to find a kit that is what you want with timings close to a qualified one.  Their FlareX is made especially for AMD.  Here is their latest announcement: http://gskill.com/en/press/view/g-skill-announces-new-ddr4-specifications-for-amd-ryzen%E2%84%A2-threadripper%E2%84%A2-processors" rel="nofollow - 32GB and 128GB
No question mark in this URL.  Enjoy, John.

Thanks for your reply, but it's not what I'm expecting :)
Ryzen is not exactly TR , and  32GB on an X370 is not 64GB on a X399.
As I said I wont try my luck on memory modules , I'll wait it to be tested and approved, clearly defined in the supported list before I buy anything.
I just thought 64GB ECC should be normal standard testing for such a beast (TR), and dont get why we have 'Gamer' tag motherboards for it... 
Anyways, I think I just need to wait ... hope I dont get too much pissed off and go to intel :/ (too expensive).




Posted By: MisterJ
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 8:06am
sfchun, sorry my reply was not what you expected.  It seemed to me that several were wondering if Ryzen/Threadripper supported ECC.  I was pointing out that users were using ECC memory.  Threadripper is to some extent two Ryzen chips in the same package.  I assume the memory controllers are very similar if not the same.  The main point I was making was to contact a vendor technical support for a recommendation.  I did this before Ryzen shipped to select the memory for my build.  Good luck and enjoy, John.


-------------
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD


Posted By: datonyb
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 8:26am
also trying to help here

before i bought my ryzen system (i was another early adopter)
i spent a long time on youtube seeing what the reviewers were using and or getting to work with which boards
after seeing two very happy guys with the taichi x370 thats what i selected and added to reading a lot on forums etc choose ram that wasnt on the qvl but did indeed work from day one

of particular intrest maybe to you its worth checking a guy on youtube called
level1tech
he uses linux a lot and also sets up vm's etc he might have some insight


allthough without trying to sound presumptious
i do also wonder the point made above
is ECC really important to your build ?

whenever i used it before it has been just based on the fact it was bought for nigh on pennies from ebay as *used ex server ram* when i built a smashing little 2x cpu amd system pre launch of the athlon x2 whatsits (fond memories of that thing smashing the x1900 cpus in benchmarks Smile )


-------------
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold


Posted By: parsec
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 9:06am
" rel="nofollow -
Originally posted by sfchun sfchun wrote:

Ok I was not clear.
Yes I've read the specs, I saw that X399 boards support UDIMM ECC memory.
But in Memory QVL lists I dont see a configuration tested/approved up to 64GB ECC (or I missunderstood the list which is possible).
When I'm ready to spend quite some money in a configuration, I want to be sure memory has been  tested/approved.
I just dont want to find myself trying my luck :/




That's what I thought.

What bothers me is, why is the testing and verification of any memory with specific features expected to be done by the mother board manufacture?

The memory controller which is part of the processor and NOT part of a mother board, was designed by the manufacture of the processor, AMD or Intel. They determine what memory will be compatible with their memory controller design, and whether or not it supports ECC memory, or Registered memory.

The memory manufactures must design their products, and use the appropriate components, to match the specifications of the memory controllers designed by the processor manufactures. Whom would know better than the memory manufactures whether or not their product will or will not work with the memory controllers used with a specific platform, like Threadripper?

Yet the model of ECC memory you are interested in does not yet have any Threadripper systems that support ECC memory in their products support list.

Are mother board manufactures expected to purchase EVERY model of memory that exists that could be used with a platform, and test them for compatibility and functionality?

Where is AMD's memory compatibility list for Threadripper processors, including ECC memory models?

Where is {fill in memory manufacture name} list of their compatible products with Threadripper, including any ECC memory models?

I understand completely why you need this information. Particularly given the current price of DDR4 memory, and what 64GB of ECC memory will cost. Given the fiasco that memory support for Ryzen processors is known to be, I hope memory support for Threadripper will be sorted out much sooner (not that it is for Ryzen at this time...) by ALL the parties involved. That will take some time.

Originally posted by sfchun<div><br></div><div>Thanks for your reply, but it's not what I'm expecting :)</div><div>Ryzen is not exactly TR , and  32GB on an X370 is not 64GB on a X399.</div><div>As
 I said I wont try my luck on memory modules , I'll wait it to be tested
 and approved, clearly defined in the supported list before I buy 
anything.</div><div>I just thought 64GB ECC should be normal standard 
testing for such a beast (TR), and dont get why we have 'Gamer' tag 
motherboards for it... </div><div><u><b>Anyways, I think I just need to wait ... hope I dont get too much pissed off and go to intel :/ (too expensive).</b></u></div>[/QUOTE sfchun

Thanks for your reply, but it's not what I'm expecting :)
Ryzen is not exactly TR , and  32GB on an X370 is not 64GB on a X399.
As I said I wont try my luck on memory modules , I'll wait it to be tested and approved, clearly defined in the supported list before I buy anything.
I just thought 64GB ECC should be normal standard testing for such a beast (TR), and dont get why we have 'Gamer' tag motherboards for it... 
Anyways, I think I just need to wait ... hope I dont get too much pissed off and go to intel :/ (too expensive).
[/QUOTE wrote:




MisterJ's attempt at helping you is an example of all the information that we have at this time, and is better than nothing.

So you'll become angry if you must wait too long? You can try to go to Intel, but what platform will you be using? I don't see any X299 boards that say they support ECC memory, since Intel normally requires support from the chipset for some reason, in order to support ECC memory. You'll require a Xeon processor of course.



MisterJ's attempt at helping you is an example of all the information that we have at this time, and is better than nothing.

So you'll become angry if you must wait too long? You can try to go to Intel, but what platform will you be using? I don't see any X299 boards that say they support ECC memory, since Intel normally requires support from the chipset for some reason, in order to support ECC memory. You'll require a Xeon processor of course.



-------------
http://valid.x86.fr/48rujh" rel="nofollow">


Posted By: sfchun
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 9:50am
" rel="nofollow -
Quote
MisterJ's attempt at helping you is an example of all the information that we have at this time, and is better than nothing.

So you'll become angry if you must wait too long? You can try to go to Intel, but what platform will you be using? I don't see any X299 boards that say they support ECC memory, since Intel normally requires support from the chipset for some reason, in order to support ECC memory. You'll require a Xeon processor of course.

 
Always difficult by typing to make people get you exact mood, forum are full of sensitive people ...
If someone feel offended I'm sorry.

Indeed Xeon for a workstation/server , I never had in mind a core i7 or i9.
But Xeon price is realy crazy compare to TR.
Also I did not had a look at X299 chipsets, I dont know if it's the right chipset for xeon.
My mind if focus on TR for now, but it just SEEMS to me that Intel is more realist by keeping the border between genral customer usage and server (core iX / Xeon).
Just to make you understand , what I feel by reading answer from forumS ... it seems people dont realy care about having a lot of memory or using ECC on TR X399 platform...
It's just wierd to me ... even reviewers from youtube benchmark it on games ... this is not the purpose at all of this kind of processors (at least not yet)...

Just to sumarize my thinking, I just think that not validating full loaded ECC memory on a TR platform seems not logic, and I just hope it wont be too long before it happens... that's all.
And if I become impatient, then yes I'll have a look at expensive Xeons or Epyc platforms... :/



Posted By: sfchun
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 9:55am
@ALL thanks for your answers.
I'll just wait and see :)


Posted By: parsec
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 10:46am
Originally posted by sfchun sfchun wrote:

  Always difficult by typing to make people get you exact mood, forum are full of sensitive people ...
If someone feel offended I'm sorry.

Indeed Xeon for a workstation/server , I never had in mind a core i7 or i9.
But Xeon price is realy crazy compare to TR.
Also I did not had a look at X299 chipsets, I dont know if it's the right chipset for xeon.
My mind if focus on TR for now, but it just SEEMS to me that Intel is more realist by keeping the border between genral customer usage and server (core iX / Xeon).
Just to make you understand , what I feel by reading answer from forumS ... it seems people dont realy care about having a lot of memory or using ECC on TR X399 platform...
It's just wierd to me ... even reviewers from youtube benchmark it on games ... this is not the purpose at all of this kind of processors (at least not yet)...

Just to sumarize my thinking, I just think that not validating full loaded ECC memory on a TR platform seems not logic, and I just hope it wont be too long before it happens... that's all.
And if I become impatient, then yes I'll have a look at expensive Xeons or Epyc platforms... :/



I agree with you about the use of Threadripper, but even AMD seems to not agree with us.

AMD's Community blogs, which now includes posts from AMD about Threadripper, are included in the... Gaming Community! Confused

https://community.amd.com/community/gaming" rel="nofollow - https://community.amd.com/community/gaming

You can check the other AMD communities under the Communities list at the top of that page.


-------------
http://valid.x86.fr/48rujh" rel="nofollow">


Posted By: nangu
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 11:32pm
Hi, just chime in to clarify the intended market for TR chips. It's a HEDT platform, the direct contender to Intel I9/X299 platform, so it's not server/workstation grade hardware in terms of assured reliability.

If you are not looking at X299, but Xeon on Intel lineup, you need to look at Epyc on AMD side. There you will find ECC memory QVL for sure because the intended market.

The fact TR has ECC support not implies it's server/workstation grade reliability speaking. Ryzen's R series support ECC too, and I don't plan to use one of that for a server system.

TR is great for Workstation loads because core count and conectivity, and ECC support make it a serious contender in the workstation market, but if you want a really certified workstation, I'm affraid you need to look at Xeon / Epyc builds.

After all, TR / I9 are enthusiast platforms, aimed at creators, high core count workloads, and gamers too. I don't know what kind of workload you need to run on a TR system which desperately needs ECC memory, but if 100% reliability is required, I suggest you to buy a certified workstation/server system with Xeons or Epyc processors.

You didn't find info on ECC memory for TR mainly because it's an HEDT platform, and users doesn't need that kind of memory.

Cheers. 


Posted By: sfchun
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 12:12pm
+1 ;)
You clarify the point ! 

My workload will be : virtual machines + NAS , also using ZFS 

checking EPIC vs Xeon and will decide later :)



Posted By: vacaloca
Date Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by sfchun sfchun wrote:

+1 ;)
You clarify the point ! 
My workload will be : virtual machines + NAS , also using ZFS 
checking EPIC vs Xeon and will decide later :)
Curious if you decided or not. I am already heavily invested in 32 GB ECC RDIMMs (256 GB worth) on Asrock's X99 WS-E motherboard and had been looking out of curiosity at a newer platform. On Xeon, unless I go multi-processor, there is no chance for re-using RAM that I already have.

For Intel, I could do 2x http://ark.intel.com/products/123547/Intel-Xeon-Silver-4110-Processor-11M-Cache-2_10-GHz" rel="nofollow - Xeon Silver 4110 's with either Super Micro's  http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C620/X11DPG-QT.cfm" rel="nofollow - X11DPG-QT  or  http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C620/X11DAi-N.cfm" rel="nofollow - X11DAi-N  (~$1800 or ~$1500, respectively)

For AMD, there is a single processor alternative (2 or 3), or another dual option (1):

1) 2x http://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-epyc-7251" rel="nofollow - EPYC 7251 on Super Micro's  http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/motherboard/EPYC7000/H11DSi.cfm" rel="nofollow - H11DSi (~ $1600) -- 16 RAM slots, and 8C/16 threads*2 = 16C/32 threads

2) 1x http://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-epyc-7351p" rel="nofollow - EPYC 7351P on Gigabyte's  http://b2b.gigabyte.com/Server-Motherboard/MZ31-AR0-rev-10" rel="nofollow - MZ31-AR0 (~ $1473) -- 16 RAM slots*, and 16C/32 threads on the single CPU

3) 1x  http://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-epyc-7251" rel="nofollow - EPYC 7251  on Gigabyte's  http://b2b.gigabyte.com/Server-Motherboard/MZ31-AR0-rev-10" rel="nofollow - MZ31-AR0  (~ $1160) -- 16 RAM slots*, and 8C/16 threads. (economical option)

*On this motherboard, risers would be needed for full-length GPUs (~$20 or ~$80 for each GPU), as well as a case like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx%3FItem=N82E16811133283" rel="nofollow - Thermaltake's Core P5 . This is more of a 'fun' build, but more than likely time-consuming.

Are you asking about a 64 GB (L)RDIMMs or 4 x 16GB (64GB) ECC UDIMMs? If you just mean wanting 64GB RAM w/ ECC, then that seems like it has already been proven working -- link http://hardforum.com/threads/x399-mb-ecc-confirmation-clarification-thread.1940840/" rel="nofollow - here .


Posted By: sfchun
Date Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 5:02pm
Hello 

I decided to do minor update on my existing xeon config, and wait longer the new products to come in 2018, we may get more cores/performence for cheaper again next year.
Also it will allow AMD platforms to be more mature.
For now, EPYC solutions are not very easy to get for a individual.

So long story short, I wait and see :)

Cheers


Posted By: ceros
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 6:43pm
Hi guys !
I want to build an x399 TR with 128 Gb ECC UDIMM memory since the cheapest 16Gb (u)dimms that I find are ECC (http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ct16g4wfd8266 ~107$ ) Shocked 
Now my question is , do you know if these(8x16Gb) will work with x399 Taichi and TR 1950x  or in 4x16 GB configuration ?
Thank you ! ;)
Cheers! 


Posted By: wardog
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by ceros ceros wrote:

Hi guys !
I want to build an x399 TR with 128 Gb ECC UDIMM memory since the cheapest 16Gb (u)dimms that I find are ECC ( https://www.badabum.ro/memorii-servere/crucial/93861-memorie-server-16gb-2666mhz-ddr4-ecc-udimm/" rel="nofollow - http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ct16g4wfd8266  ~107$ ) Shocked 
Now my question is , do you know if these(8x16Gb) will work with x399 Taichi and TR 1950x  or in 4x16 GB configuration ?
Thank you ! ;)
Cheers! 


I don't see that ASRock has this P/N in house to test with.

Your best bet would be to contact Crucial and inquire.


Posted By: ceros
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 4:45am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Originally posted by ceros ceros wrote:

Hi guys !
I want to build an x399 TR with 128 Gb ECC UDIMM memory since the cheapest 16Gb (u)dimms that I find are ECC (http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ct16g4wfd8266~107$ ) Shocked 
Now my question is , do you know if these(8x16Gb) will work with x399 Taichi and TR 1950x  or in 4x16 GB configuration ?
Thank you ! ;)
Cheers! 


I don't see that ASRock has this P/N in house to test with.

Your best bet would be to contact Crucial and inquire.
Hi wardog,
I took a leap of faith (after contacting the vendor and confirmed that I can return it in case of incompatibility) and ordered 8x16Gb , they should arrive mid/end of next week . 
I'll keep you posted with the outcome of the tests.
# These are by far the cheapest 128 Gb (~840 $) that I came across .


Posted By: wardog
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 8:03am
Originally posted by ceros ceros wrote:

Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Originally posted by ceros ceros wrote:

Hi guys !
I want to build an x399 TR with 128 Gb ECC UDIMM memory since the cheapest 16Gb (u)dimms that I find are ECC (http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ct16g4wfd8266~107$ ) Shocked 
Now my question is , do you know if these(8x16Gb) will work with x399 Taichi and TR 1950x  or in 4x16 GB configuration ?
Thank you ! ;)
Cheers! 


I don't see that ASRock has this P/N in house to test with.

Your best bet would be to contact Crucial and inquire.
Hi wardog,
I took a leap of faith (after contacting the vendor and confirmed that I can return it in case of incompatibility) and ordered 8x16Gb , they should arrive mid/end of next week . 
I'll keep you posted with the outcome of the tests.
# These are by far the cheapest 128 Gb (~840 $) that I came across .


Please do.


Posted By: ceros
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Originally posted by ceros ceros wrote:

Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Originally posted by ceros ceros wrote:

Hi guys !
I want to build an x399 TR with 128 Gb ECC UDIMM memory since the cheapest 16Gb (u)dimms that I find are ECC (http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ct16g4wfd8266~107$ ) Shocked 
Now my question is , do you know if these(8x16Gb) will work with x399 Taichi and TR 1950x  or in 4x16 GB configuration ?
Thank you ! ;)
Cheers! 


I don't see that ASRock has this P/N in house to test with.

Your best bet would be to contact Crucial and inquire.
Hi wardog,
I took a leap of faith (after contacting the vendor and confirmed that I can return it in case of incompatibility) and ordered 8x16Gb , they should arrive mid/end of next week . 
I'll keep you posted with the outcome of the tests.
# These are by far the cheapest 128 Gb (~840 $) that I came across .


Please do.
Hi wardog,
Took longer then expected but finally I got them and build it .
The good news it that it saw them(128 Gb ECC UDIMM)  from the start without any issue or configuration change.
Ran some stress CPU/Mem tests but I'm not pleased with the temps.
So while I am happy with the 128Gb ECC / $ the cooler let me down (with these temps I'm not able to do 4GHz stable-I will ask for a replacement of the Enermax 360 ... :| )
More details ->
https://ibb.co/h8DbCn
Cheers !




Posted By: wardog
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 12:49am
Originally posted by ceros ceros wrote:

Hi wardog,
Took longer then expected but finally I got them and build it .
The good news it that it saw them(128 Gb ECC UDIMM)  from the start without any issue or configuration change.
Ran some stress CPU/Mem tests but I'm not pleased with the temps.
So while I am happy with the 128Gb ECC / $ the cooler let me down (with these temps I'm not able to do 4GHz stable-I will ask for a replacement of the Enermax 360 ... :| )
More details ->
https://ibb.co/h8DbCn" rel="nofollow - https://ibb.co/h8DbCn
Cheers !




One hell of a pretty picture there ceros.


Posted By: TANWare
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 1:08am
If not happy with the Enermax 360 be sure that the fan profile has the pump running at high speed. I do this by default even at idle. The fans though ramp up in speed by the CPU temp.
 
Here is the system @4GHz after 30 minutes of bashing CB R15;


-------------
x399 Taichi, 1950x, 32GB 3466 DDR4
2x500GB 960EVO,Asus 1080TI
http://www.pcambrosia.com/images/PassmarkEVO960_e.jpg" rel="nofollow - Passmark



Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net