URL: https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=601
Printed Date: 02 May 2024 at 5:42pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: FM2A88X Extreme4+, W10 and BIOS 2.60 freezing
Posted By: arimak
Subject: FM2A88X Extreme4+, W10 and BIOS 2.60 freezing
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 2:01am
Hi,
I had bad issues with the latest BIOS update 2.60. It was freezing the OS many times a day, so I had to downgrade to previous 2.50, which works very well. I'm just informing about this for other users...

-------------
ASROCK FM2A88X Extreme4+, AMD A8-7600, 8GB, Windows 10 (insider preview - slow)

Replies:
Posted By: Scarlet622
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 7:17am
Thanks for the info.
I have same mobo, Windows 10 64 bit and got same issue.
Back to BIOS version 2.50 again

Posted By: parsec
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 9:34am
Originally posted by arimak arimak wrote:

Hi,
I had bad issues with the latest BIOS update 2.60. It was freezing the OS many times a day, so I had to downgrade to previous 2.50, which works very well. I'm just informing about this for other users...

Have you installed the Windows 10 drivers from your board's download page, before using the version 2.60 UEFI update?

Do you use all default values in the UEFI? Any OC of your processor? What CPU are you using?

Do the freezes you get seem to be random, of when doing something specific?

I'm not saying the 2.60 update is fine, just trying to track down any other potential causes for the problems you had when you use it.

-------------
http://valid.x86.fr/48rujh" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Originally posted by arimak arimak wrote:

Hi,

Have you installed the Windows 10 drivers from your board's download page, before using the version 2.60 UEFI update?

Do you use all default values in the UEFI? Any OC of your processor? What CPU are you using?

Do the freezes you get seem to be random, of when doing something specific?

I'm not saying the 2.60 update is fine, just trying to track down any other potential causes for the problems you had when you use it.
1) I'm letting all drivers updates on Microsoft Windows updates
2) yes, almost everything settings are default, without overclocking cpu, memory, or gpu.
My PC is in my signature... so CPU is AMD A8-7600
3) yes, it seems it was all random, sometimes like CPU was doing "nothing", sometimes I was browsing in firefox, chrome, MS Edge, watching videos... yes, I think it was more random.

Now I'm back to BIOS 2.50 for about 2 days, and all is working perfectly, like before...

-------------

Posted By: trip
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2015 at 3:16am
same for me, FM2A88X Extreme4+  AMD A8-7600 with bios 2.60 freezing randomly so back to 2.50 as arimak says 

Posted By: nexgen
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 12:59am
We are testing different fm2a88x extreme 4+  rev G / A 1.2
sn: 4CM0XE113145
sn: 4BM0XE035631
sn: 4BM0XE035633
tested with processors  A6 / 7400K - A8/7600 - A10/ 7870k, with bios 2.60 on many occasions the mainboard freezes.
with the bios 2.50 is stable
best regards
Alberto 

Posted By: Cliff48
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 2:56am
I have similar problems to those posted above.

Random freezing  (specs in signature) on Windows 10.

can someone please post a link to the Bios 2.50 download.  I cannot find it.

-------------
AMD A10-7870K
ASRock FM2A88X+ Keller - Fatal1ty

Posted By: ASRock Expert
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 3:06am
You don't have the same MBO,
You have the FM2A88X+ Killer.

It's easy to navigate on ASRock homepage, just take
some time to explore, don't rush.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty%20FM2A88X+%20Killer/?cat=Download&os=BIOS

For Your CPU, the P2.30 is the one to go with. Don't go under that version,
because Your system may not POST.

-------------
990FX Extreme 9 MOD P1.70
AMD FX 8120 4GHz 1.25V
Thermalright HR-02
Patriot Viper 2x4GB 2133MHz
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
MSI R7970 TFIII 3GB
CORSAIR VX550W
LanCool K62 Dragonlord
ASUS Xonar D2X

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 6:24am
Originally posted by ASRock Expert ASRock Expert wrote:

You don't have the same MBO,
You have the FM2A88X+ Killer.

It's easy to navigate on ASRock homepage, just take
some time to explore, don't rush.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty%20FM2A88X+%20Killer/?cat=Download&os=BIOS

For Your CPU, the P2.30 is the one to go with. Don't go under that version,
because Your system may not POST.

Thank you for the reply and link.
I downloaded 2.30 version and loaded to a usb Flash Drive
and installed it via the Bios option.

It installed successfully, and when it attempted to restart my computer .. that failed because the boot sector was now damaged.

I attempted to Repair my win 10  install with the original win 10 install disk ... and then a win 10 Repair disk (that I had previously created).  Neither Repair could fix the damage.

I have had to completely reinstall Win10.

I will post again if I don't get any more 'freezes' after a couple of days.

Thanks again ....  but the damage to the boot sector was annoying.

Cliff

-------------
AMD A10-7870K

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 11:47am
The boot sector was not damaged - You should always
install Windows with AHCI settings.

If the settings are different - Your OS will not work.

-------------
AMD FX 8120 4GHz 1.25V
Thermalright HR-02
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
MSI R7970 TFIII 3GB
CORSAIR VX550W
LanCool K62 Dragonlord
ASUS Xonar D2X

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 11:58am

The boot sector was not damaged - You should always
install Windows with AHCI settings.

If the settings are different - Your OS will not work.

I have AHCI settings..... and the boot sector was damaged...   so much so that even REpair could not fix it.

-------------
AMD A10-7870K

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 1:08pm
just an update.....  with version 2.30 i now get more freezes than I did with 2.70,  even though "ASROCK EXPERT" wants to suggest that 2.70 was not a valid update for my Mobo.  (Strange that ASRock APP selected that as a required upgrade) and has given me the least problems.

I would still appreciate if anyone can give me a link to the version 2.50 that proved stable for them.

thanks in advance

Cliff

-------------
AMD A10-7870K

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 3:42pm
APP Shop's listing of programs, drivers, and UEFI/BIOS updates are not required upgrades.

APP Shop shows the Current and Latest versions of the UEFI, nothing is listed as a required upgrade. These are the UEFI/BIOS and Driver updates available for one of my ASRock boards:

While I tend to apply new UEFI/BIOS updates, new does not always mean better. Problems or bugs can be introduced into any software.

All of this does NOT mean that you are at fault or wrong for applying an update provided for your board. UEFI/BIOS updates are always considered "at your own risk", but I do them all the time, and have had a problem or two with all the boards I have now, 10+.

If ASRock or any manufacture removed a UEFI/BIOS update, there was a significant reason to do so. I don't follow the BIOS updates for every ASRock board, are you saying there were versions 2.50 and/or 2.70 at one time?

The point ASRock expert was trying to make is a BIOS update resets all the BIOS option values back to their default settings. But I can't imagine that the default SATA mode for your board is not AHCI. If it was IDE, then I could see a problem occurring if the board was allowed to boot, but that should not have damaged the boot sector. I'm not saying that did not happen to you, but who knows why.

What method of BIOS update does APP Shop use? I won't use anything but Instant Flash personally, and I wonder if the Windows BIOS update method was used.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 4:50pm
First off, let me apologise to the ASRock fanbois here.  The problems I am having are genuine, sorry for bursting your bubble and showing that ASRock is not perfect.

I also apologise if I implied that ASRock APP stated the bios upgrade was mandatory, I had just bought this prebuilt machine and when I had problems, the supplier was not interested unless I applied any upgrades specified in the ASROCK APP, so it did become mandatory for me to do so.  While on the topic, the ASRock APP is able to identify the latest upgrade available (and imply it can download and install it) it fails dismally at installing it.

It also became mandatory  to install the upgrade because the MOBO came with version 1.70 and the PC couldn't survive more than 20 minutes without a BSOD, a Freeze or a reboot.  I used the Bios/UEFI to download and install the current version (NOT just because it existed, but because ,my PC failed every 20 minutes).  With the upgrade, the failures reduced to about every 24 hours ...   not a major issue, but certainly an annoyance that I would prefer to live without.

Searching Google about the problem I came across this thread that suggested the version 2.50 was stable and I wanted to try it, but a self-proclaimed "expert" insisted that 2.30 was the latest version (and thus ASROck APP mislead me).  I followed the "Expert's" advice and installed it, only to find that it made my system less stable.

You perhaps can understand why I would like to try version 2.50 that others with similar problems to me have found to be stable.

I also wish to add that I have reported my issues to ASRock and have not received a reply.

I am prepared to persist in resolving the problems because I am very happy with the performance and expansion capabilities of the PC and look forward to having a working machine.

I ask AGAIN, I would be extremely happy to hear from someone who has a download link to the stable 2.50 version.

Thanks in advance
Cliff

-------------
AMD A10-7870K

Posted By: Xaltar
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 6:48pm
There is absolutely no need to apologize, you came here with a problem seeking assistance which is exactly what the forums are here for Thumbs Up 

Anyone who has ever worked on a PC should know that no manufacturer is perfect and ASRock is not exempt from problems. 

All the BIOS updates available for your board all seem to be present http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/FM2A88X%20Extreme4+/?cat=Download&os=BIOS" rel="nofollow - here , including 2.50. This is the ASRock FM2A88X Extreme4+ product page so if this is your board then what you are looking for should be there. I suggest you use the instant flash option as it is more reliable. There is also a beta BIOS version 2.60a under the "Beta Zone" tab if all others prove unstable.

Posted By: Da2E1
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 5:03pm
Hello Forum,

I got the same Problem with the Bios/Uefi Version 2.60.
I changed down to 2.50 and now the pc works fine.

There were These Problems with my PC:

It freezes every time in the UEFI at the page where you can look at the rpm of the fans and the temperatures.
It freezes totally random in Win 8.1 (x64) with Kernel Error ID 41 Event ID 137, but this Error isn´t very helpful.
I checked Ram with prime95 under heavy cpu load and also furmark for gpu load and the Pc worked fine under heavy load for hours!
It wasn´t possible to download things sometimes, while the PC freezed. I tried various browsers every time the same problem. Sometimes the Pc runs hours without problems, that it freezes 5 times in 10 minutes.
I searched days the internet with just annoying tips to "change" every part of my PC until I found this entry in the ASRock forum.
Temperature problem can also be excluded, look at my system below, at the cpu I just can recognise higher temperatures (at the heatpipes) under full load while the fan is spinning with 600 rpm

Please ASRock do anything with the UEFI Version 2.60.
It´s the first time I am using a UEFI and I like the look and the easier way to understand it. But I had never in my life a BIOS with freezes!!!

My PC: FM2A88X Extreme4+, W8.1 (x64), 16Gb Muskin RAM 9-9-9-27 (2133), A8-7600,Alpenföhn Brocken ECO, 512GB Plextor M6P, PSU Seasonic Platinum Series Fanless 400

Kind regards
Da2E1

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 5:14pm
If it works - don't fix it.

Stay on the 2.50 untill the 2.70 or 2.xx come out.

I'm not using the latest EFI, I use the one that works best for me.

The freezing is caused by malfunctioning turbo-core - the CPU over-clocks by itself,
even when the turbo is disabled.

Experienced it myself with the Athlon X4 840, turbos up to 4.19GHz,
and the system freezes.

I think ASRock is trying to put some secret OC mods in the EFI,
because max clock of the 840 is 3.8GHz, and the multiplier is disabled.

So, lets wait for the best.

-------------
AMD FX 8120 4GHz 1.25V
Thermalright HR-02
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
MSI R7970 TFIII 3GB
CORSAIR VX550W
LanCool K62 Dragonlord
ASUS Xonar D2X

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2015 at 5:35am

If it works - don't fix it.

It seems to me that people posting here are having problems and so are upgrading because of that, not because the system is working

Stay on the 2.50 untill the 2.70 or 2.xx come out.

I'm not using the latest EFI, I use the one that works best for me.

The freezing is caused by malfunctioning turbo-core - the CPU over-clocks by itself,
even when the turbo is disabled.

I'm am surprised that the úse' of Turbo while looking at the EFI settings would cause the CPU to freeze, particularly in a cpu that is designed to be overclocked and particularly when Turbo uses speeds within its own ratins and capabilities.  Like another postrer above, I also get freezes while examining the EFI settings  

Experienced it myself with the Athlon X4 840, turbos up to 4.19GHz,
and the system freezes.

I think ASRock is trying to put some secret OC mods in the EFI,
because max clock of the 840 is 3.8GHz, and the multiplier is disabled.

So, lets wait for the best.

-------------
AMD A10-7870K

Posted By: Kenyiro
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2016 at 6:03pm
Hello
FM2A88X_EXTREME4+ my motherboard APU A10 7700K

Windows 10 x64 bios 3.0 always have random BSOD
All seting default and clear CMOS

i found two revisions 1.70 and 2.30 and put to my dropbox
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jaz62swijs4gvp0/AADJer9433Nz94E0ZKLViOIqa?dl=0

Date Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 2:38am
again same issue with new bios 3.0 with FM2A88X Extreme4+  AMD A8-7600
f  r  e  e  z  e 
back again with 2.50.
How much we must wait for a decent bios????

Posted By: Kenyiro
Date Posted: 01 Mar 2016 at 5:54pm
Hello i put 2 links to whats happend with my problem 
 https://youtu.be/W9ILB32A2-E" rel="nofollow - https://youtu.be/W9ILB32A2-E 
 https://youtu.be/K6WNxHclEnQ" rel="nofollow - https://youtu.be/K6WNxHclEnQ 

I decided send my motherboard to service because i test other same procesor and effect same
i try on bios 2.30 and 2.50 not help for me ( i think IRQ problem )

Posted By: FraFazz1982
Date Posted: 09 Mar 2016 at 9:21pm
I have the saqme configuration and the same problem. I've uefi 3.0. How can I intall 2.50? Where can i download it? I can'y find it!!!!!! Please help me. This mb not Works properly!!!!!!!!!

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2016 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by Cliff48 Cliff48 wrote:

I have similar problems to those posted above.

Random freezing  (specs in signature) on Windows 10.

can someone please post a link to the Bios 2.50 download.  I cannot find it.

I have the same problem. Please help me!! Where can I find the 2.50 version and How can I install it???

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2016 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by trip trip wrote:

again same issue with new bios 3.0 with FM2A88X Extreme4+  AMD A8-7600
f  r  e  e  z  e 
back again with 2.50.
How much we must wait for a decent bios????

I have the saqme configuration and the same problem. I've uefi 3.0. How can I intall 2.50? Where can i download it? I can'y find it!!!!!! Please help me. This mb not Works properly!!!!!!!!!

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2016 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by Da2E1 Da2E1 wrote:

Hello Forum,

I got the same Problem with the Bios/Uefi Version 2.60.
I changed down to 2.50 and now the pc works fine.

Da2E1

Can You give me the 2.50 version? How can I install it?

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2016 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

There is absolutely no need to apologize, you came here with a problem seeking assistance which is exactly what the forums are here for Thumbs Up 

Anyone who has ever worked on a PC should know that no manufacturer is perfect and ASRock is not exempt from problems. 

All the BIOS updates available for your board all seem to be present http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/FM2A88X%20Extreme4+/?cat=Download&os=BIOS" rel="nofollow - here , including 2.50. This is the ASRock FM2A88X Extreme4+ product page so if this is your board then what you are looking for should be there. I suggest you use the instant flash option as it is more reliable. There is also a beta BIOS version 2.60a under the "Beta Zone" tab if all others prove unstable.

Can You help me please? I have the same problem and I don't know how can I download and install the 2.50 version.

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2016 at 12:47am
Nobody help me? :(

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2016 at 1:55am
Originally posted by Kenyiro Kenyiro wrote:

Hello i put 2 links to whats happend with my problem 
 https://youtu.be/W9ILB32A2-E" rel="nofollow - https://youtu.be/W9ILB32A2-E 
 https://youtu.be/K6WNxHclEnQ" rel="nofollow - https://youtu.be/K6WNxHclEnQ 

I decided send my motherboard to service because i test other same procesor and effect same
i try on bios 2.30 and 2.50 not help for me ( i think IRQ problem )

Where I can find 2.50 bios?

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2016 at 5:01am
Originally posted by Scarlet622 Scarlet622 wrote:

Thanks for the info.
I have same mobo, Windows 10 64 bit and got same issue.
Back to BIOS version 2.50 again

Hi, can you say me where I can download bios 2.50? Please help me. My pc freeze many time in a day.

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2016 at 5:05am
Originally posted by trip trip wrote:

same for me,?<span style="line-height: 16.8px; : rgb43, 43, 43;">FM2A88X Extreme4+ ?AMD A8-7600 with bios 2.60 freezing randomly so back to 2.50 as arimak says?</span>

Can you help me? Same problem

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2016 at 6:02am
That version has been pulled down from the ASRock site, if you want it you will have to google "FM2A88X Extreme4+ 2.50 bios download" and find another source.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2016 at 6:27am

That version has been pulled down from the ASRock site, if you want it you will have to google "FM2A88X Extreme4+ 2.50 bios download" and find another source.

Can you give me an affidable link?

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2016 at 6:47am
http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/BIOS/Asrock/ASRock-FM2A88X-Extreme4plus-BIOS-250.shtml

-------------
AMD FX 8120 4GHz 1.25V
Thermalright HR-02
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
MSI R7970 TFIII 3GB
CORSAIR VX550W
LanCool K62 Dragonlord
ASUS Xonar D2X

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2016 at 6:54am

http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/BIOS/Asrock/ASRock-FM2A88X-Extreme4plus-BIOS-250.shtml

Thank y!I've installed bios 2.50 and now works properly.

Posted By: ASRock_TSD
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 4:39pm
Dear customer,
This is ASRock Technical Support Department.

Regarding this case, we have released a BIOS to improve the stability of the system.
Please flash the BIOS to P3.10B from the link for try: http://www.asrock.com.tw/mb/AMD/FM2A88X%20Extreme4+/?cat=Beta

Thank you for your patience.
If any, please feel free to contact us!

Kindest Regards,
ASRock TSD 

Posted By: numbnuts
Date Posted: 10 Apr 2016 at 10:06pm
I have a FM2A88M Extreme4+ Motherboard with the same symtoms that are being described in this thread - random freezing.  the processor is an A8 7600.  Updated bios to 2.90 and still had the issues.  I downgraded to Bios 2.50 and it seems to be more stable but I have had one instance of freezing since I did this a few hours ago.  I have used an A4 4000 processor on Bios version 1.5 with no dramas at all.

Can I use the beta Bios 3.10B on my motherboard, or is it suitable for the FM2A88X only?

Is there a fix coming that will rectify stability problems using the FM2A88M Extreme4+ and an AMD A8 7600 processor?

An Update:  I have had two more freezing episodes with the FM2A88M Extreme4+ motherboard and the AMD A8 7600 processor.  Tried to load the Bios 3.1B for the FM2A88X motherboard described above but the updater does not recognise this bios file - guess that answers the question around if I can use it or not.  

Is there a stability fix coming for the FM2A88M Extreme4+ board??  Should I start another thread for this board.

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2016 at 2:22am
nothing to do, the beta bios 3.10 and the new 3.20 don't solve the problem, always the same freeze in windows 10, back again  to 2.50. Thank you ASRock Technical Support Department.

Fm2a88x extreme 4+
A8-7600

Posted By: Dario Mate
Date Posted: 16 Apr 2016 at 1:49am
Originally posted by numbnuts numbnuts wrote:

I have a FM2A88M Extreme4+ Motherboard with the same symtoms that are being described in this thread - random freezing.  the processor is an A8 7600.  Updated bios to 2.90 and still had the issues.  I downgraded to Bios 2.50 and it seems to be more stable but I have had one instance of freezing since I did this a few hours ago.  I have used an A4 4000 processor on Bios version 1.5 with no dramas at all.

Can I use the beta Bios 3.10B on my motherboard, or is it suitable for the FM2A88X only?

Is there a fix coming that will rectify stability problems using the FM2A88M Extreme4+ and an AMD A8 7600 processor?

An Update:  I have had two more freezing episodes with the FM2A88M Extreme4+ motherboard and the AMD A8 7600 processor.  Tried to load the Bios 3.1B for the FM2A88X motherboard described above but the updater does not recognise this bios file - guess that answers the question around if I can use it or not.  

Is there a stability fix coming for the FM2A88M Extreme4+ board??  Should I start another thread for this board.

Same CPU,same MBO,same problems...
i'm gonna be crazy..Wacko

Posted By: Alamo
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 10:50pm
Similar issues with FM2A88M Extreme4+ and AMD A8 7600.
Hangs, random restarts, finally it POSTed but wouldn't connect properly to monitor.BIOS and Radeon Crimson driver already updated. 
I returned them both for testing, was told both worked OK, suggested I test my memory.
I tried the beta BIOS first - complete disaster, not even POST.
Reset CMOS and removed then replaced battery. 
I removed 2 of my 4 DRAMS, and the system reset itself with the latest BIOS.
To test memory I have tried all 4 of my DRAMS in each channel, each DRAM worked, on their own and in pairs. NOT as a 4!, at least not twice.
What is going on with this set of hardware? 
Running with 8 GB rather that 16 is really slow - and a system that dies when it feels like it is becoming difficult to justify.
Any ideas?

Posted By: skybird1980
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 9:05pm
Similar Issue with my A8 7600K with 8 GB DDR3 (1600) on 2 Banks.
PC stands still (CPU Temperature between 35 ~40 °Celsius).
Older Firmware works well.

Posted By: Dario Mate
Date Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 2:47am
No more random freezes with BIOS 2.40!!Smile

Posted By: Alamo
Date Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 11:08pm
Update on my original post.
Memtest from memtest.org showed that I have a 1 byte error on one of my DIMMs.
I took it out and the system runs again with the monitor working, now I'm back to random hangs and restarts and reset to Instant Boot - What's that all about?
Asrock Tech Support very helpful, but unable to pin down issues.

I'll just have to save up and rebuild with different hardware.

Next time I'll check the forum to see if there are issues with my next choice.

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by Alamo Alamo wrote:

Update on my original post.
Memtest from memtest.org showed that I have a 1 byte error on one of my DIMMs.
I took it out and the system runs again with the monitor working, now I'm back to random hangs and restarts and reset to Instant Boot - What's that all about?
Asrock Tech Support very helpful, but unable to pin down issues.

I'll just have to save up and rebuild with different hardware.

Next time I'll check the forum to see if there are issues with my next choice.

So you found a problem with your memory, and fixed one problem. That's good, but how do you know that your other issues are caused by the hardware you have now?

Would it have been right to base your choice on what you originally wrote, if it was written by someone else?

What is a reset of Instant Boot?

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 7:06pm
FM2A78M Pro4+
FM2A88M Extreme4+

Basically the same motherboard.

I cross-flashed the FM2A78M Pro4+ to FM2A88M Extreme4+,
working fine.

Cheep chipset upgrade for everyone.

-------------
AMD FX 8120 4GHz 1.25V
Thermalright HR-02
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
MSI R7970 TFIII 3GB
CORSAIR VX550W
LanCool K62 Dragonlord
ASUS Xonar D2X

Posted By: L0405
Date Posted: 11 May 2016 at 8:15pm
I have the same issue. With the original firmware was freezing under loading, and random. With 3.20 i have random freezes without any loading. When i turn off c6 in bios, no freezing at all. I have tried other rams and psu, but haven't noticed any changing.

-------------
FM2A88X Extreme4+
A8 7600
Windows7

Posted By: Madmartigan
Date Posted: 18 May 2016 at 1:58am
Hi everybody,

Originally posted by L0405 L0405 wrote:

I have the same issue. With the original firmware was freezing under loading, and random. With 3.20 i have random freezes without any loading. When i turn off c6 in bios, no freezing at all. I have tried other rams and psu, but haven't noticed any changing.

Hi L04505, I seem to be having the same problem (random freezes on a win 7 clean install, once frozen, I have to do a hard reboot) and I'm currently running a 3.20 bios.

A few days passed since your post, can you confirm you have stopped getting freezes after disabling C6 ?
What settings did you modify in your bios to disable C6, just "Core C6 Mode", or did you also changed "Package C6 mode" ?

I don't know much about bios settings so any help would be appreciated.

Also : the only link in this thread to a download for the 2.50 bios is a softpedia links that returns a 404 error when trying to download. Does anyone know a safe source to download it ?

My pc specs :
  • CPU : AMD A8 7600 (using stock fan)
  • Mobo : ASRock FM2A88X Extreme4+
  • Graphics : Radeon R9-380P-2DF5 2GB by XFX
  • RAM : Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz (4x4gb) [2 new sticks and 2 older ones]
  • PSU : Corsair VS650
  • 1 DVD RW [old hardware]
  • 1 HDD WD10 EARS (1tb) [old hardware], I have two partitions (+ the hidden reserved for system partition of course)

Date Posted: 18 May 2016 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Madmartigan Madmartigan wrote:

Hi everybody,

Also : the only link in this thread to a download for the 2.50 bios is a softpedia links that returns a 404 error when trying to download. Does anyone know a safe source to download it ?

My pc specs :
  • CPU : AMD A8 7600 (using stock fan)
  • Mobo : ASRock FM2A88X Extreme4+
  • Graphics : Radeon R9-380P-2DF5 2GB by XFX
  • RAM : Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz (4x4gb) [2 new sticks and 2 older ones]
  • PSU : Corsair VS650
  • 1 DVD RW [old hardware]
  • 1 HDD WD10 EARS (1tb) [old hardware], I have two partitions (+ the hidden reserved for system partition of course)

The Beta download section for your board has a 2.60A version that is very likely not much different than version 2.50, and most likely does not have whatever it is in the 3.20 version that seems to be causing this problem.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/FM2A88X%20Extreme4+/?cat=Beta" rel="nofollow - http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/FM2A88X%20Extreme4+/?cat=Beta

-------------

Date Posted: 18 May 2016 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

The Beta download section for your board has a 2.60A version that is very likely not much different than version 2.50, and most likely does not have whatever it is in the 3.20 version that seems to be causing this problem.

Thank you parsec but I don't think 2.60A is much of an option : most people here report freezes while running vanilla 2.60 firmware, so although 2.60A is likely to be close to 2.50, it's much more likely to have the same problems as 2.60, plus a bunch of other stuff from being a beta release.

After browsing the net for several hours about informations on C6, I decided to test L0405 solution at the moment, waiting to see if my computer will like it better ( http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=2251&title=fm2a88x-extreme4-a107860-freeze" rel="nofollow - another interesting thread on this subject although this person has a different CPU).

Unfortunately deactivating the C6 core sleep mode seems to have some side effects, including a little more strain, temperatures and power consumption of the CPU when idle (perhaps also when working... readings from AMD Overdrive seems to indicate higher use of CPU when doing something strenuous, but I can't be completely sure about it).

Even if this works, I think on the long term it may (at least) slightly diminish the life span of the CPU, the CPU's fan and the thermal paste as well as crank up my power bill a notch.

Anyway, I am curious to know what pushed AsRock to stop distributing older bios versions, especially since this problem was reported by several people and seems to have an easy fix. Maybe 2.50 has other defects, but I would like to be given the choice to test that for myself, since any and all bios flashing is done at your own risks anyway.

Date Posted: 26 May 2016 at 8:33pm

Hi, since a week has passed without any kind of incident, I can finally say that my freeze problem is over, after several weeks spent trying to understand where those freezes came from.

I used my computer for a day without Core 6 State enabled and it worked well. I then tried to enable it and disabled only Package Core 6 State http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=2251&title=fm2a88x-extreme4-a107860-freeze" rel="nofollow - like digithom did , and since then my computer has been working fine.

NB : the option to disable PC 6 State is only offered when C6 State is enabled, because Package Core 6 State needs Core 6 State enabled to work. If C6 State is disabled, by default, PC6 State will be disabled by the bios, which solves the problem but augment consumption and CPU load, but apparently, you don?�t need to deactivate C6 to avoid freezes, only PC6, at least with bios 3,2 that is. I don?�t think the OS has anything to do with this.

The advantage is that disabling only PC6 State allows for less consumption and strain on the CPU than just disabling Core 6 State.

Many thanks to L0405 for his private message and to both him and digithom for posting their solutions on this forum : you very litteraly saved my computer.

Sorry ASRock, no kudos for you , unless you intend to give me back the 3 weeks of my life I spent looking for a way to solve that problem, because I had no idea what caused it. This is the only place on the web where I found a solution. This problem is not benign and neither is it fine tuning of the bios settings, or else there would be a mention of this problem in the motherboard documentation or in your FAQ. Other than that, the FM2A88X Extreme4+ seems fine. I actually like it... now that it works !

I am not saying that you are not trying hard enough, but it has been going on for at least 7 bios versions so why don't you create a nice tutorial about how to deactivate PC6 State in your FAQ for those who still encounter this problem despite flashing to the latest bios ?

The elephant is not going to leave the room just because you don't want to talk about it you know...

Date Posted: 26 May 2016 at 11:19pm
Happy to hear your problems are resolved, it is good to see the forums fill the role they were designed for. This is not an attachment to ASRock Tech support, it is a user forum provided to allow users to share their experiences and help each other out. Tech Support representatives do check in here from time to time but anyone wanting direct support from ASRock needs to visit the actual support page Wink

-------------

Posted By: Andre.Zi
Date Posted: 31 May 2016 at 2:13am
Hi there,

finally I found a posting, which describes all the trouble, I have had the last three weeks. I'm about to go crazy, but I want to share my story in hope, it could help others.

My setup was the FM2A88X Extreme4+ with AMD A8 7600 APU. Additionally I use one more pci express usb 3.0 card, Thermaltake Munich 430W, G.SKILL F3-17000CL9D 8GB (2x4GB), Samsung SSD 250 GB and 6 additional internal HDDs. The system is running on Win10 Pro 64Bit (upgraded since Win8.1) and is used as a low power consumpting media server running PLEX.

The trouble began by freezing while surfing. I had to hard reset the computer for the first time since that setup was running. The UEFI came up automatically and so I decided to update it (just because I've been inside UEFI :D). After that first freeze, the system started to freeze randomly. I tried everything possible, disconnected all of the hdds and pci express card. I booted up a live cd - you guess - it froze as well. So what to do? There must be a problem with the hardware. I replaced the RAM for test - freeze. I decided to order the sameds mainboard again and replaced the old one - freeze. (I didn't check for bios version!) So I decided to redo that config, sent the mainboard back. Still freezing. I ordered a new cpu, A10 7800 (?), replaced it and again freezes. So I replaced the power supply, but freezing again. After I put my A8 back again, I tried to run the mainboard without cables of the case connected - freeze. I buyed a new case, replaced everything again - freeze. I was going crazy!

I reinstalled Windows 10 on another ssd and it seemed to run fine until it froze again. Yesterday I did another bunch of troubleshooting. I replaced the power cable, network cable, used another port on my fritzbox. Maybe the problem has anything to do with the network port?! I disconnected a switch which is used for tv, ps3, bluray in the living room and connected the tv directly to the fritz box, I disconnected every hdd again (except the system ssd).

Since yesterday there was NO FREEZE. My plan was to connect one thing a day again, to see when it will freeze again.

On my way searching the web for any freezes caused by a fritzbox, I found THIS thread! And it seems to be exactly the same issue, I'm troubleshooting for over three weeks now.

Ok, I need to try that C6 option in bios, hoping that it will solve my freezes.

I will let you know whatever happens. If that C6 state will be the answer,

DEAR ASROCK SUPPORT, SPREAD THAT SOLUTION!!!

Greetz
Andre

Date Posted: 31 May 2016 at 12:23pm
Ok, tonight I had a freeze again. Now I disabled Package Core 6. Let's see what happens...

Date Posted: 31 May 2016 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by Andre.Zi Andre.Zi wrote:

On my way searching the web for any freezes caused by a fritzbox, I found THIS thread! And it seems to be exactly the same issue, I'm troubleshooting for over three weeks now.

Welcome to the infamous "give-me-back-the-last-three-weeks-of-my-life club" Andre.Zi. Confused

Since this problem seems tied to bios version, please update your post with your current and previous bios version. If you don't know what previous version of the bios your motherboard had, look for a very tiny sticker on top of one of the component of the board. It should indicate something like "P2.8" for bios 2.80 for instance.

Regardless : best of luck with those freezes.

To be fair to ASRock : I checked the online manual for the FM2A88X Extreme4+, and it indicate that the default position for Package C6 should be "disabled". Unfortunately, by default, the settings on my motherboard enabled PC 6 state.

This might come from the fact that my motherboard was provided with bios 2.80 and that I later upgraded to 3.20, rather than have the 3.20 out of the box : if they changed the default position of the option on one of the later bios, my motherboard would have retained her PC6 state settings, despite the default position changing to avoid new motherboard owners with one of the later bios to experience the same bug.

Date Posted: 31 May 2016 at 11:58pm
Hi,

my board was shipped with 2.10. But I can remember, that the first thing I did was an update of UEFI by the end of november 2014. I can't tell you, what version was running fine. Actually I have 3.20 installed, package C6 disabled this morning and no freeze during the day :)

I will rebuild my pc to it's final configuration later on. If the pc will be running until thursday without freeze, I think that this issue should be solved.

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 4:56am
Due to the fact, that my pc is still running, I can say, that the package C6 setting was my solution.

Thanks Madmartigan for sharing that!

Greetz
Andre

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 12:38pm
An update.  I have found a solution that has me running rock solid for the last two months.

I have thrown my ASRock FM2A88M Extreme4+ motherboard to the sh#thouse and installed a Gigabyte F2A88XM-D3H board and the freezing no longer occurs.

I will never buy another ASRock board again.

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by Andre.Zi Andre.Zi wrote:

Due to the fact, that my pc is still running, I can say, that the package C6 setting was my solution.

Thanks Madmartigan for sharing that!

Greetz
Andre

Yay ! ^^

Although, all the thanks should be directed to L0405 and digithom, without whom, I too, would have been left with an overpriced paperweight in lieu of a computer. Handshake

An update.  I have found a solution that has me running rock solid for the last two months.

I have thrown my ASRock FM2A88M Extreme4+ motherboard to the sh#thouse and installed a Gigabyte F2A88XM-D3H board and the freezing no longer occurs.

Sorry to hear that this solution came too late for you numbnuts.

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 4:11am

That solution won't be suitable for me because of the USB 3.0 ports. On my way searching for a motherboard which satisfied my needs, that one from ASRock was the only one with a lot of SATA Ports (7) and that many of USB Ports (8xUSB3.0, 8xUSB2.0). And to be honest, that board ran very fine 24/7 until it froze the first time. Now with that disabled option I'm happy again. Smile

Date Posted: 05 Jun 2016 at 8:55am
So 2 years(?) later and the random freezes are still unresolved, for me anyway.

I have done stress tests on memory and hard drives and am unable to cause a freeze (These tests are run under 'DOS', and thus dont involve ASROCK AMD drivers which are windows specific.  I have all the latest drivers from ASrock and Windows.  (and the lastest BIOS)

My current freezes happen anywhere between attempted reboot - to 4 days later.

Basically I am going to bin this PC and replace it with anything other than an Asrock/AMD combination.

-------------
AMD A10-7870K

Date Posted: 05 Jun 2016 at 9:00am

I have done stress tests on memory and hard drives and am unable to cause a freeze (These tests are run under 'DOS', and thus dont involve ASROCK AMD drivers which are windows specific.  I have all the latest drivers from ASrock and Windows.  (and the lastest BIOS)

Basically I am going to bin this PC and replace it with anything other than an Asrock/AMD combination.

Edit/Correction:  My new PC with have neither Asrock or AMD.

-------------
AMD A10-7870K

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 12:16am

Hi Cliff,

did you try to disable Package C6 in UEFI? That's the point in here. My system froze after booting up from a live cd, too. So no ASROCK AMD drivers have been involved in my case, too.

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 7:46am
Thanks for your reply Andre.  I have a Fatil1ty cpu, which is a different UEFI version.  Package C6 option doesnt exist (or I cant find it on my Uefi menu).  With regard to freezes....  I often get a freeze even just accessing UEFI menu.

I am staggered that Asrock obviously see this as such a low priority.  When I contacted them directly ... their only help was to suggest updating UEFI.

I'm definitely not a happy user.

-------------
AMD A10-7870K

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 1:33pm
The option to disable C6 state is under your Advanced\CPU Configuration section in your UEFI on the ASRock Fatal1ty FM2A88X+ Killer . I don't know what the deal is with this issue but the consensus in this thread seems to be that disabling C6 seems to resolve it. 

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 1:36am

The option to disable C6 state is under your Advanced\CPU Configuration section in your UEFI on the ASRock Fatal1ty FM2A88X+ Killer . I don't know what the deal is with this issue but the consensus in this thread seems to be that disabling C6 seems to resolve it. 

The deal with this issue is, that ASRock seems to ignore it.

Posted By: hgonzale
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 2:27am
Hello friend. Now I am having the same issue, same motherboard, and here my history:

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=2805&title=fm2a88x-extreme4-freeze-only-with-a10-7890k

Resume

Same motherboard, same memory. Not OC

First A^6400k, after A8 6600k, after A10 7850k and NOW A10 7890k

The system is freezing sometimes, doing different things, with or without load.

If I run heavy/stress test for CPU, Video and memory, nothing happen. Everything is ok, but eventually the system freeze.

I have still my A10 7850k, if I exchange the CPU, the system runs pefectly.

The A10 7890K CPU is not the problem, I exchanged it 2 times (3 differents CPU).

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 3:11am
Hi hgonzale,

Xaltar already replied to your post with a statement to the APUs. So now with C6 State disabled your freezes are gone? You didn't end your post in the other thread.

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 3:24am
Hello........ After testing and testing for some days my freeze are gone. Really.... in heavy load and soft load. Really, you are the best friends ever.....

Incredible... C6 state fu$%$%#$%#$ my Pc...

And now, some question...... maybe is interesting...

1.- Is so much the different in power saving? Or the C6 state is marginal?
2.- Why all my others APUS (A6 6400k, A8 6600k, A10 7850k) didn't have the problem?

And I sold more than 30 AMD APU in the last 2 years and neither had this problem.......

And A friend of mine bought the last week the same A10 7890K with my same motherboard (he bought the motherboard one month after me, Jan 2015, because he watched my computer running) and he doesn't have the problem

Thank you friends, and have a NICE weekend.

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 8:17pm
I don't think that C6 State is the problem. The UEFI version installed / the firmware must have a bug. My system ran stable round about one year until it froze for the first time. That one freeze didn't make me unhappy, I guess. But after that happened, I updated UEFI to the newest version. From that time on, my system froze randomly.

As I understood, the C6 is only one opportunity for power saving. But, where do we stand at the moment? The CPUs won't get really faster, the only thing is, that they get more performance. During the last years, power saving gets more and more important for new products like tablets. So I don't think that your system will need a lot of more power than with package core 6 enabled.

And btw, you didn't disable C6 comletely, did you? For me - as for others, too - disabling only the suboption 'package core 6' did it! ;)

And regarding your second question... Did you update your UEFI after you applied the latest A10 APU?

Could you check your UEFI version and compare it to your friends' one?

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 2:28am
Hello my friend. I have the 3.20 version "long time ago", when I had the A8 6660k and A10 7850k and the system started freezing only with the A10 7890k (same memory, devices, bios version, etc etc).

I disabled the C6 and now the system has days running without problem. Switching between linux and windows, using VM under linux etc etc...

And I read in many other places about C6 state and the same problem......

Thank you

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 9:34am
Thank you Xaltar.  I have now been running for 5 days without a freeze. Disabling c6 option did the trick!  I am still staggered that a bug like this has been allowed to exist for so long.  So that I am p*ssed with the coprrect organisation for being plagued with this problem for 2 years, is the UEFI on an Asrock m/b an Asrock product?

Thanks again

-------------
AMD A10-7870K

Posted By: AsrockDerby
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 1:24am
Hi all. first sry for bad english is not my first language . 

I have the same problem: asrock fm2a88x extreme 4+ & a8 7600 bios 3.20 and freezing... :{
I disabling C6 opcion and freezing stop but i see new problem. CPU start working on hight temperature 5-10 degrees more then before becаuse work only on one frequency x37=3700mhz... 
When will come bios version without this freezing bug??

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 2:38am
Hello friend. Is not a BIOS bug.
Where are you from?
Are you using the standar fan/cooler?

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 4:23am
Hi i am from Bulgaria :D
Forgot the name of cooler but will add link to sceenshot i hope you can see it.
http://image.prntscr.com/image/ea403a9298a7451ab8bb48d036064458.jpg
before temp was 30-40 max 45 degrees . After i stop C6 option from bios min temp go up to 40+ degrees Celsius

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 4:28am
Super my friend. Is a "good" cooler, is not the normal cooler.

How are you getting the temperature?
In and AMD/APU you are not able to get a real temperature from the sensors, you need to get the temperature from the Thermal margin using the AMD Overdrive application.

And maybe is normal the temperature is a little bit higher, because with the C6 disable, you are not turning off the unused cores.

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 4:48am
Aida64 give same tepmeratures like AMD overdrive app i have both programs.
In aida i look CPU temp not core temp.  Core temp give wrong values.
Before stopping C6 option CPU working with different frequencies and temp was lower. Now work only on 3700mhz and temp i 5-10 degrees more. Not a big problem but dont like it :D

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 4:52am
I understand you my friend......
Maybe some day, with a new BIOS something change and we will be able to activate C6 again.....

Date Posted: 17 Jun 2016 at 6:13pm
Hi AsrockDerby and hgonzale,

When you say you disabled "C6 option", does that mean you didn't try disabling only package C6 ?

Disabling Package C6 is different from just disabling C6 : I had the same kind of CPU load and temperature issues than AsrockDerby when I tried to disable C6 entirely. Disabling only package C6, stopped both the freezing (for a whole month now) and the temperature problem.

A reminder : You can't disable package C6 if C6 isn't enabled, because package C6 requires C6 to be active to work. It seems to me that is why disabling C6 resolves the freezing problem : package C6 is automatically shut off when C6 is disabled, but the problem seems to lie with the package C6 option.

Date Posted: 17 Jun 2016 at 10:53pm
Thank you Madmartigan. I did what you said and CPU work on 30 degrees again :D Thank you very much!!!

Date Posted: 17 Jun 2016 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by Madmartigan Madmartigan wrote:

Hi AsrockDerby and hgonzale,

When you say you disabled "C6 option", does that mean you didn't try disabling only package C6 ?

Disabling Package C6 is different from just disabling C6 : I had the same kind of CPU load and temperature issues than AsrockDerby when I tried to disable C6 entirely. Disabling only package C6, stopped both the freezing (for a whole month now) and the temperature problem.

A reminder : You can't disable package C6 if C6 isn't enabled, because package C6 requires C6 to be active to work. It seems to me that is why disabling C6 resolves the freezing problem : package C6 is automatically shut off when C6 is disabled, but the problem seems to lie with the package C6 option.

Thank you for the clarification there Madmartigan.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2016 at 3:20am
In german we would say: "Wer lesen kann ist klar im Vorteil". But for now, I hope that 'Package C6' as solution is clear. Is there an option, to pin this as solution?

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 4:51pm
Me, wardog, as a Moderator, has edited this post.

Suffice it to say, now without the profanity posted here by the user numbnuts, they are very very dissatisfied.

numbnuts, please abstain from posting profanity. Consider this your first and final warning.

Thank you for your cooperation.

... wardog

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 5:49am
Hi,

If you read this thread, you might notice that I already posted several messages, including a solution I found on another thread of this forum to prevent the freezing issues many people seems to have with the Asrock FM2A88X Extreme 4+ motherboard when it's bios has been updated.

I have to recant my previous statements : disabling package C6 or C6 does not entirely solve this problem. This just prevent the mobo from freezing all the time, but the freezes are still there.

With this option disabled, I have yet to see my motherboard freeze while doing anything casual (browsing the internet, watching videos, using photoshop for a very modest project, etc.). This might be fine if you intend your computer for this kind of casual use. Just disable Package C6, like explained in previous posts, and you should be fine.

However my computer still freeze randomly when using some games.

The freezing are very consistent and identical in every aspect to the random ones when package C6 is not disabled. They occur only on specific games, probably because those ask the motherboard to do something close to what makes it freeze in the first place.

Games that I have played for several hours without any motherboard related problem :

Blood Bowl 2
Batman Arkham City
Company of Heroes 2
Endless Legend
Payday 2
Stellaris
Total War Warhammer
Torchlight 2
Tropico 5

Games that always provoke a FM2A88X Extreme 4+ freeze :

Armello
Borderlands 2
Call of Duty Ghosts
Xcom enemy within
Xcom 2

A year has passed and I haven't installed Star Citizen again. I don't know if it would freeze or not, but it makes me feel depressed just to think I might go through several days of download just to find out.

As of now, I am not looking for a solution. Do not post anything for me on this thread or on PM : I won't answer. I now consider that Asrock took my money and gave me a flawed motherboard. If you have this same problem, and want to play games, I do believe that the only real solution is to change your Asrock FM2A88X for a new motherboard, made by a company that provides better products.

I will never buy any sort of Asrock hardware ever again.

And I strongly urge you to think again if you are about to buy one.

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 6:12am
+1 to Madmartigan.  

ASRock don't give a flying f*ck about their customers.  I used to buy a lot of their gear - not anymore and NEVER again!

Stick all your product up your ar$e ASRock.

(Got told I would be banned for using foul language here - guess this is my last post lol!   I don't need this forum any longer anyway!)

Posted By: smallboyone
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 11:11pm
Underclocking your CPU seems to be the solution:
" rel="nofollow -

I had the same issue with my brand new Extreme4+ FM288X and A8 7600 processor. The current Bios version is P3.30. 

Turning off PC6 did not help.
Turning off C6 completely did not help.
I always monitored the CPU temperature and it was fine with around 50°C

http://extreme.pcgameshardware.de/prozessoren/195188-fehler-bei-prime95.html" rel="nofollow - Somewhere else I read that there might be an issue with the CPU voltage, because Prime95 was throwing errors during stress test. What I did is to set up the multiplier manually down to X30.0 3000 MHz (results in more or less 1,112 V) and I'm stressing my computer with multiple HDD, GPU (4k Youtube) and CPU (Prime95) tasks. Seems to be stable, because Prime95 isn't throwing any errors and the system is still up and running

So the solution seems to be to play around with the clocks, core speed and multiplier in the OC tweaker section of your Bios. Keep C6 disabled! Have no clue what the best settings are and what the tech reason behind this is, but will continue to test and to keep you posted.

Could anyone else confirm this on your machine? The settings are:
http://img1.img1.de/octweaker835de.png" rel="nofollow - http://img1.img1.de/octweaker835de.png

Double checked via CPU-Z:
http://img1.img1.de/cpua225d.png" rel="nofollow - http://img1.img1.de/cpua225d.png

BTW Bios 2.50 is still on asrock.com:
http://ftp://europe.asrock.com/BIOS/FM2+/FM2A88X%20Extreme4+%282.50%29DOS.zip" rel="nofollow - ftp://europe.asrock.com/BIOS/FM2+/FM2A88X%20Extreme4+(2.50)DOS.zip
http://ftp://europe.asrock.com/BIOS/FM2+/FM2A88X%20Extreme4+%282.50%29ROM.zip" rel="nofollow - ftp://europe.asrock.com/BIOS/FM2+/FM2A88X%20Extreme4+(2.50)ROM.zip
http://ftp://europe.asrock.com/BIOS/FM2+/FM2A88X%20Extreme4+%282.50%29WIN.zip" rel="nofollow - ftp://europe.asrock.com/BIOS/FM2+/FM2A88X%20Extreme4+(2.50)WIN.zip

It's just not listed on the overview page... So if my theory with the underclocking is false, I will try to downgrade by board

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by FraFazz1982 FraFazz1982 wrote:

[QUOTE=ASRock Expert] http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/BIOS/Asrock/ASRock-FM2A88X-Extreme4plus-BIOS-250.shtml%5b" rel="nofollow - http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/BIOS/Asrock/ASRock-FM2A88X-Extreme4plus-BIOS-250.shtml[ /QUOTE]
Thank y!I've installed bios 2.50 and now works properly.

You have to install 2.50 bios version to solve.

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 2:55pm
I was installing that terrible P3.30 BIOS version a few weeks ago too.
In short, I'm back to P2.50 now, and I will hope that all will be stable again.
I was trying that "C6 state disable" too of course, maybe it could be a bit better, but it led to freezing to black screen and restart too. Ouch

As I started this thread 2 YEARS ago, I wouldn't expect that I will install back that old BIOS version again! How many versions were between 2.50 and 3.30?? Shocked

I'm using Windows 10 Insider Preview - slow channel, now is installing 16296.0 (rs3_release)

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 6:28pm
I am using the 3.30 in Windows 7/10/Linux Suse without problem for "long time".
I have an A10 7890k + 16 GB GSkill + SCSI PCI Card + LPT PCI Card and 6 HD.
But I realized that Asrock is $%@%#$%# with the bios. I bought some AB350 Pro4 and the BIOS sucks. For upgrade, you need to have an DOS booteable disk for the first update and is "not able" to change the memory speed. I bought "expensive" memory (faster than normal) and I am unable to activate the XMP profile (it show the option but is disable). I think some thing aren't going well inb Asrock

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2018 at 7:25pm
" rel="nofollow - I have to write some pretty new notes about that freezing issues now.

As I'm using Windows 10 Insider Preview, there was probably something depending on these huge issues with processors patches (Meltdown + Spectre).
About 2 weeks ago I got an update 17074 of these W10 Insider Preview. And guess what... It is again stable solid machine now! Well from end of September 2017 to half of January 2018 it was everyday "no reason" freeze and reboot..

So my last guess is, that it wasn't fault of Asrock, but processors producers. Let us know, you - other users, what is your experience?

-------------

Posted By: LordIron44
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 10:40pm
Same issue with FM2A88X Pro3+ with the temporary solution i've disabled c6 i dont get pc6 to enable or disable.Im just gonna buy a new mobo cause many users didnt have a problem with an another company.One question is Gigabyte GA-F2A78M-DS2 Rev3.0 a good replacement:

specs:

Amd a10 7870k

Ram Gskill 8GB 1600mhz

1TB Western Digital caviar blue

PSU Coolermaster G550M

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 10:43pm
After disabling C6, not problem for more than year...

Posted By: inesrodrigues
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 5:36pm
Hello everyone.

I know this post is a bit old, but i am experiencing this exact same problem.

I already have the Flash drive ready and formatted with file in it ready to downgrade the BIOS version.

However, when i restart the PC and press F2 (or Del) to access the BIOS, the screen goes black and the FANS speed up while nothing else happens.

I end up having to hard reset it (the so called magic button - no other way here) and then if i allow it to start W10, it starts normally (randomly freezes every now and then, of course).

Accessing the SETUP itself seems to be the main problem here.

Has anyone been through the same situation? How have you solved it?

Thank you.

P.S.:
System specs:
AsRock A88X FM2 Extreme4+
AMD A10 5800APU Radeon HD Graphics
Kingston 8GB 1600Mhz DIMM DDR3 low voltage
LCPower LC6650GP3 v2.3
Kingston SSD 250GB model SV300S37A240G

-------------
LCPower LC6650GP3 v2.3

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 2:27am
Try to disable C6 state and write me
I am still using W7 + Linux + OpenSolaris in the same motherboard, the sound card is not working now, but everything else is still working.

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 1:04am
Would this be it? Disable Core parking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucMqc5ilG7Q

Thanks.

-------------
LCPower LC6650GP3 v2.3

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 7:42pm
Voltages appear to be more stable. At least it did not turn on by itslef during the night...

But i cannot access the BIOS yet.
I am going to order a new BIOS chip like this guy did.

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5715&title=asrock-fm2a88m-extreme-4-bios-update-fail

-------------
LCPower LC6650GP3 v2.3

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 6:52pm
Hi.

It seems that until further notice, the sudden freezing stopped. As well as the sudden reboots. Now, to solve the BIOS problem.

Thanks.

-------------
LCPower LC6650GP3 v2.3

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net