Forum Description: Question about ASRock AMD motherboards
URL: https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6150
Printed Date: 10 May 2024 at 8:47am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: BIOS updating
Posted By: stree
Subject: BIOS updating
Date Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 12:14am
" rel="nofollow - Is there a breakdown of the various ways to upgrade the BIOS?...I only do it rarely and have usually forgotten the best approved safest way to do it, but I will probably be considering it when I get my new build together.
I have a Fatality B350 gaming ITX, and a small lbel on what I take to be the BIOS chip says P2.01.
I assume this is the version onboard, and realise there are newer versions that may or may not be what I need.....
A dummy guide would be great, last thing I want to do is brick the board! but I do not want to be so nervous of doing it I never update either................

Replies:
Posted By: datonyb
Date Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 1:01am
its easy
first off download the 'instant flash ' version form asrock
expand/extract the file
copy the file onto a usb drive (treat yourself buy a nice new one ,from a trusted brand) less than 4gb and formated to fat 32
now either boot system and press f6 to start instant flash, or boot into bios (del/f2) and find instant flash direct it to the usb drive and follow clear instructions
now heres a list of DONT DO'S

dont flash the bios in the windows enviroment EVER ,ZILCH,NEVER,PUNISHMENT OF DEATH type event

dont flash the bios if you have already altered the default settings (eg set ram with XMP, overclacked cpu etc etc)

just to be sure press f10 before flashing and select 'default settings' save n exit

one last thing dont tempt fate, while actually flashing bios make every effort NOT to loose elcetric supply  (eg kick the kids out the house ,wife too is best,dont think its time to switch the kettle on for tea,because at the bios flashing time murphys law states that is the best time to trip the fuse board with a sudden broken kettle)

after flashing the system tells you to restart ,do so and dont panic when it takes considerably longer to boot, this is normal ,enter bios (f2/del) have a browse save and exit ,enter bios again, save and exit and then let windows start (it has been known with some systems to stop booting windows and restart itself at this stage, just let it )

and then ta-da your bios is updated

now go load a reasonable little overclock on that amazing little cpu Smile

-------------
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 1:30am
That is a really helpful post,  thank you for taking the time to help. I feel much easier about doing it now.

Looking forward to getting it up and runnng, although it is a very modest build compared to most on here, but will be fine for what I need....
AS Rock B350 Fatality gaming ITX
Ryzen 3 1200
16GB  Crucial Ballistix sport 2400..( 2 x 8)
Samsung 960 M.2 256GB (boot)
Seagate Firecuda 2,5" 1TB  ( data)
XFX R7-240 GPU
G-Unique 300watt power
Lian-li PC-Q21B case
Win 10 Pro 64 bit

and a top Raven Ridge to replace CPU GPU when they appear..................

Thanks again datonyb!!

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 1:56am
no problem mate

dont knock the r3 1200
a lot of reviewers like it esp. with a sensible overclock (3.7 ish)

remember it was still a ryzen7 1800x when it came off the line with all its siblings Smile

-------------

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 3:42am
" rel="nofollow - Quick question if you don`t mind:
Should I just go for latest version?    Would that work out ok staright from what I have, 2.01?
I think I will do it before I install the OS, so just dealing with the BIOS screen, or F6.

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 5:05am
i usually do grab the latest version myself

but then sometimes there are little bugs

i would say install with the stock one ,as long as everything is working fine and then you have a baseline to compare your own build too if anything gets worse in a later version

a quick tip if i may
download your windows installation media direct from windows website
(google windows media creation tool)

and then you make sure you have a proper new version with the added ryzen software
(we have has small issues with older win 10 discs etc)

and make sure you install windows in uefi mode

you tuber 'pauls hardware' has a good step by step walk through

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 5:37am
Great, got that, .( I have win 10 on USB to intall,, no CD etc.., straight from W website)
I will go with whats on board ( 2.01) and get a feel for that...................maybe look for later BIOS if it looks useful then use it..........No need for latest bells and whistles, just a stable platform.
Thanks again ! Appreciated

PS I will have a look at Pauls Hardware, ta!

Posted By: wardog
Date Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 5:52am
Too, immediately after installing 10, install the latest AMD Chipset Driver Package

AMD Chipset, AHCI, USB 3.0 and RAID Drivers
  • Windows 10??7 ( http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/chipset%3cos=Windows+10+-+32" rel="nofollow - 32-bit | http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/chipset%3cos=Windows+10+-+64" rel="nofollow - 64-bit )

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 5:59am
And YES. As daytonyb suggested, I would install the latest BIOS, P3.10 only after you deem your machine stable.

The Current P2.10 is way way outdated now. P3.10 will bring it current with AGESA 1.0.0.6b.

Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

dont flash the bios in the windows enviroment EVER ,ZILCH,NEVER,PUNISHMENT OF DEATH type event

This above can not be stressed enough. USE INSTANT FLASH. You've been warned. Twice now Geek Clap

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 6:13pm
" rel="nofollow - Thanks Wardog,

I have Win 10 Pro 64 bit...........

I will only consider updating BIOS after running with what is on board to assess stability etc.......
NEVER from inside windows.............I have cut my little finger off to act as a reminder of this........

I will go to ASRock site to download latest chipset etc drivers as soon as possible.......
Would this be the All-in-one drivers, or go down the list?
Also just wondering why the pref for UEFI rather than ordinary BIOS screen?

Posted By: Zwu
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 12:52am
forget the asrock website - get the chipsetdriver directly from AMD
you dont need anything from ASROCK

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 12:58am
agreed as wardog has said and zwe confirms
update the chipset drivers from amd support ,not the asrock downloads page

and install windows in uefi or things dont work correctly
watch pauls hardware he explains it

he also explains why he forgot to set it to install uefi in the first video LOL
(eg watch both vids and see the second one is a quick correction and giggle he done a schoolboy error)

-------------

Posted By: MisterJ
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 1:52am
Unfortunately it is not 100% true to avoid ASRock for DLs.  I discovered the hard way (non-recognized NIC), that the drivers for the X399 Aquantia (AQC107) NIC must be DLed from ASRock DL page.  ASRock has modified these drivers and the ones from the Aquantia site do not even recognize the AQC107.  I do not care for this process but that is how it is.  Enjoy, John.

-------------
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 2:28am
Grab the Chipset Drivers from my post above. Those AMD links are workable.

The drivers on the ASRock site "only" get updated when a new one passes their in-house Certification. They do their level best but it's a daunting task to stay on top of.

If you'd like, I can link you to the other drivers req'd so you can begin with the latest.

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 3:15am
" rel="nofollow - Installed win 10. BIOS in UEFI as suggested...............But it has installed to UEFI EFI shell and ignored the M.2.............Not impressed with that...............How do I get the M.2 to be boot disk? It is nominated as boot in boot sequence etc, but just comes up with no OS found so have to go back to EFI...............Should I just start again and choose legacy mode?

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 3:38am
Originally posted by stree stree wrote:

" rel="nofollow - Installed win 10. BIOS in UEFI as suggested...............But it has installed to UEFI EFI shell and ignored the M.2.............Not impressed with that...............How do I get the M.2 to be boot disk? It is nominated as boot in boot sequence etc, but just comes up with no OS found so have to go back to EFI...............Should I just start again and choose legacy mode?

See Method 1:
http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1236&title=how-to-install-windows-on-a-pcie-ssd

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 5:16am
Sorry Wardog,I cannot see the link you mention for the drivers.............

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 5:41am
Ahhhh sh*t. Damn forum.

Here ya go stree

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

A little over 3/4 the way down, on the right.

Sorry Dude.Embarrassed

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 2:08am
Thanks Wardog..................and all.............

After going through all the helpful links and advice given have come to the conclusion that this procedure is too far out of my comfort zone.............I doubt I could get it right, so have decided to go   old school on this:
I have removed the EVO 960, because it would end up  as the Ferarri in the garage that never gets used, I will set the BIOS back to default, and go with the Samsung 850Pro 256GB I have for the boot drive and the Firecuda 1TB for storage.............This level I can deal with, and have to just concede that I have a lot to learn yet before thinking about going for the M.2 boot option, but one day.....................
So just to say, I appreciate enormously the help that you lot have tried to give, I can`t help feeling I am letting you down!
So at least hopefuly I will be able to play with my new Ryzen set up and enjoy learning that, and just eat humble pie for now.....
So thanks again all, you are a sterling crew..........

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 10:29pm
" rel="nofollow - [URL=][/URL]Well.........The silence after my surrender post let me know what you guys thought of my giving in.....and I cannot blame you after you pitched in to try and help me out...............So after 24 hours I resolved to try again using what you had already explained to me rather than ask you again which seemed a bit of a nerve............
I began by downloading BIOS 3.10 ( ASRock B350-Fatality gaming-ITX), the Instant flash version, ready to boot and hit F2 and install via BIOS, and when that was done to have another go with installing the Evo960, then installing win10 on it.
So re-installed the 960, (physically, I had packed it up ready to put on e-bay!)
Unplugged the Samsung 850 Pro SSD ( intended new boot) and the Firecuda storage, and booted up...............Decided to let it run through, did not hit BIOS, no real reason, just did........
!0 sends and Win 10 pops up.........Ah, "still on that EFI shell thing" I thought.......Looked on "my computer" and there listed as C drive...................Samsung Evo 960 256GB
So it is installed........ and win 10 is on it..............How, I do not know.......Did not do half the stuff I was supposed to, CSM GPT etc etc, but here it is and rock solid.........
So no thanks to me and all thanks to you guys, I got there.
Probably not the optimum install I know, but maybe tweakable? and anyway now to install latest AMD chipset drivers, Samsung NVME drivers etc.....
Thanks again all, you got me there in spite of myself.

PS and still have not updated BIOS yet............. probably better do it sooner rather than later

Posted By: VUMeter
Date Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 4:55am
" rel="nofollow - May I ask a question BIOS update related?

I'm on v2.20 (AGESA "SummitPI-AM4 1.0.0.4a") as that's what shipped.
I've made a few little tweaks, mostly to fan settings and turning CSM off (for UEFI install).

So Windows 10 is installed, all drivers installed from ASRock, with the addition of 17.30 AMD drivers from their site.

I fancy going to BIOS 3.0 or 3.1, but am apprehensive about it too.
I'm guessing that we don't need intermediate BIOSs, we can go straight to any newer version we like?

I am completely aware and onboard with the DO NOT UPDATE BIOS FROM WITHIN WINDOWS thing.  This was the advice on my old LGA775/P35, and I guess it still holds true.  For such an important taks ya don't want a glitchy OS screwing it up.

Can I shove all of the BIOS versions on a USB and pick from them in the BIOS update utility?

Sorry a few questions.  Cheers.

-------------
X370 TaiChi | 1700X P3.10 stock clocks | (2x 16GB) 32GB FlareX 2400MHz.
https://valid.x86.fr/ikadaa" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: parsec
Date Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 11:17am
Originally posted by VUMeter VUMeter wrote:

" rel="nofollow - May I ask a question BIOS update related?

I'm on v2.20 (AGESA "SummitPI-AM4 1.0.0.4a") as that's what shipped.
I've made a few little tweaks, mostly to fan settings and turning CSM off (for UEFI install).

So Windows 10 is installed, all drivers installed from ASRock, with the addition of 17.30 AMD drivers from their site.

I fancy going to BIOS 3.0 or 3.1, but am apprehensive about it too.
I'm guessing that we don't need intermediate BIOSs, we can go straight to any newer version we like?

I am completely aware and onboard with the DO NOT UPDATE BIOS FROM WITHIN WINDOWS thing.  This was the advice on my old LGA775/P35, and I guess it still holds true.  For such an important taks ya don't want a glitchy OS screwing it up.

Can I shove all of the BIOS versions on a USB and pick from them in the BIOS update utility?

Sorry a few questions.  Cheers.

Why be sorry for multiple questions, that were well put and easy to understand? Thumbs Up

All updates of previous, earlier UEFI versions are incorporated in the newer versions, so no need to install each one for its changes.

You can put all of the UEFI updates on the USB flash drive, and run Instant Flash in the UEFI. It will list all of them and allow you to choose the one you want to flash to. Be sure to unzip the download file first, and copy the result to the root folder of the USB flash drive.

Yes, the Window update method tends to have the most failures, why that happens is a mystery to me.

Yes, UEFI installation! Cool

-------------
http://valid.x86.fr/48rujh" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 8:29pm
@parsec :- Fabulous, thank you for the quick reply.

OK, gonna try v3.0

I'm really hoping that I don't have to reinstall the OS after changing BIOS version.  That'd be a major pain the the derriere.

I will reset the BIOS to defaults before updating it.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 9:29pm
Good news, updating to v3.0 didn't fail.

However I have some issues:

1. Fan Speeds and Temperatures:
I still think the UEFI is showing +20°C.
Under v2.20 this was the case, but the fan control seemed to be linked to a 0°C offset.
Temps in HWinfo show ~25-30°C once booted.

Also, my network adaptors just went missing in Win10.  I looked at device manager and they were marked with exclamations in triangles (typical no driver sign).  However when I refreshed hardware they just vanished in the list.
Rebooted and now I have "#2" versions of Ethernet and Wifi devices.

Freaky.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 9:45pm
It also seems the UEFI is running the chip with a Vcore of +1.2v.
OpenHardwareMonitor shows the graph of it dropping as soon as the service can log the data - when booted into Windows.

It's the blue line.

Due to the strange fan thing, I have had to add a 20°C offset to the fan speed, make them adjust when the temp is higher.  Hmm, that isn't right.

-------------

Posted By: parsec
Date Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 10:24pm
Ever hear of AMD's Tdie and Tctrl temperature readings? Some Ryzen processors, the 'X' models, have a +20° C offset programmed into the Tctrl temperature. Tctrl = Tdie + 20° C. With UEFI 3.0 for your board, Tctrl is being monitored for fan speed control. It's also the CPU Temperature reading you see.

AMD's explanation of Tdie and Tctrl:

https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/03/13/amd-ryzen-community-update" rel="nofollow - https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/03/13/amd-ryzen-community-update

Feeling a bit incomplete after reading that? Welcome to the club. No issues there really, just a change. You will need to change which fan speed profile you are using, or create a custom profile to match your particular CPU cooler fans, and personal preference for fan speed and noise. All fans are different, and the custom fan speed curve option allows you to configure your fan speeds accordingly.

If you would have updated to 3.10, you would be able to select which CPU temperature is being used for fan speed control. That's new for ASRock AM4 boards, just as the change to Tctrl was in an earlier version. The description for version 3.10 mentions the change. You're probably seeing Tdie in HWiNFO, with my ASRock X370 board, HWiNFO shows Tctrl and Tdie.

The network chip driver problem is not related to the UEFI update whatsoever. The wonderful Windows 10 automatic driver update, which you left configured to let it do that, by coincidence updated them at about the same time. As you can see it does not work very well. They seem to be working now, right?

-------------
http://valid.x86.fr/48rujh" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 11:00pm
Ah, now this makes sense!  Thanks for your reply.

So in v2.20 I was using 'T-socket' as the CPU fan controller.  The temp of the CPU according to the motherboard under-chip thermistor.  It was slow to reach to the CPU jumping to 50°C, taking a whilst to increase, and also taking time to cool after the load had gone and the die had cooled quickly.

So you are saying with v3.00, the H/W monitor page in UEFI is actually Tdie+20 (Tctl)?  Oh, now that explains why it was so freakin' high.
Saying that, under v2.20 it was still 30°C+ in the UEFI but less in Windows.

I think the UEFI is adding unnecessary voltage.

Ah, right, yes.  v3.1 did have that temp. thing mentioned, but I decided to try v3.00 as folks said they had a performance hit with later version.  Doubt I would notice, I am not bench marking.

As for Windows 10 updating things, I turned that off via group policy editor before connecting to the internet for the first time.  It alerts me that there are new updates, but doesn't download/install until I say so.  Actually, I did install an update last night: KB4040724, which is something to do with cellular connectivity - hmm, sounds like network devices to me.

I know I am going a little off topic and specific to my issue here, but here is device manager (show hidden devices):  It won't have any of it clicking on properties of the hidden devices.  By the way the odd looking ones are likely due to VMBox (virtual machine).

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 12:30am
BIOS updated to 3.1, latest AMD chipset drivers installed, Samsung NVME drivers installed, 960 is boot, Win 10 Pro 64 bit installed....7 second boot time, all stable.
Thanks again to everyone that helped, I know I caved in and thought I could not do it, but you got me there, so very aware of that and grateful.
Will have a dabble at tweaking RAM and OC a bit later.

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 2:12am
7 seconds boot time - WOW!  From cold to Windows I have about 24 seconds, but then I have a sluggish Firewall (ZoneAlarm) and a bunch of HDDs connected.  Booting from Samsung Pro 850 256GB.

I'ma gonna have to look into this and see if there is a way to get even faster boots.  That said, I am impressed that it's as quick as it is.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net