URL: https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6214
Printed Date: 27 Apr 2024 at 7:18pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Fatal1ty x399 won't post with 128GB RAM
Posted By: 128noGB
Subject: Fatal1ty x399 won't post with 128GB RAM
Date Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 2:08pm
" rel="nofollow - Hello,

I've been direly trying to get this to work and so far nothing is working right. 

Here is the problem:

My x399 Fatal1ty motherboard will not post when I have all 8x16GB (128GB) sticks of RAM in it.

The Dr. code thingy shows this error:  C0

SPECS:

Mobo:  Fatal1ty x399 Motherboard
CPU:  Threadripper 1950x
RAM:   128GB of CMK128GX4M8B3000C16 CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 128GB (8 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000)   (on the QVL)
PSU:  Corsair RM1000x
GPU:  GTX 1060

DETAILS:

If I put 8x RAM sticks, it will not post.
If I put 1 to 7 RAM sticks in, it posts.
I have tried ALL ram slot combinations.  They all work.
I have tried ALL ram sticks.  They all work.
I have got a brand new x399 Fatal1ty motherboard.  Still has the same problem.
Problem exists in bios 1.3
Problem exists in bios 1.5
I've tried multiple PSU.  All work fine.
I've tried multiple GPU.  All work fine.
CPU looks just fine (no scarring of the plate, brand new).

The issue literally is the 8th stick of RAM causes the system not to boot.  That's it. 

I've tried changing a few things in the bios and nothing matters.  I've reset CMOS and that changes nothing. 

If I put 4 sticks of RAM in, it boots just fine, installs Win, etc.  I've tried all various RAM slots and they all work.  All RAM sticks work as well.

I absolutely must get all 128GB to work.

Does anybody have any ideas what to do?  I can't think of anything else to try.

Replies:
Date Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 2:12pm
OP here.  Some more details:

With 4x sticks of RAM, everything works fine, Windows loads, everything runs, no crashes, etc.  So the CPU seems to be fine.

The mobo has the 2x2 CPU power + the 4x4 CPU power connector both plugged in.  The 2x2 is using a split 4x4 power cable and the 4x4 is using the normal power cable.  All is good.  Plus I tried a different power supply.   The mobo does not have the PCIe extra power connector as its not needed.

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 2:27pm
UPDATE:  The following occurs (and is repeatable)

If I have 7 sticks of ram (to get it to post) and update to 1.5 bios
Then reboot, clear settings, update to 1.3 bios, power down
Then plug in 8th stick of ram
Then power back on...
... the system will boot into Windows 8.1

HOWEVER

Windows 8.1 will say there is 32GB of RAM usable and 96GB as "Hardware Reserved".

If I reboot then the system will never post again with a C0 error.

Something is really messed up.  Again, this is the second x399 board.

It is as if this RAM isn't working correctly with this mobo, yet I know the RAM works fine as 4 sticks works just fine in all combinations of slots + RAM sticks.

Posted By: Xaltar
Date Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 4:07pm
I would open a support ticker with ASRock Tech Support. Based on your description it sounds like incompatibility. It technically could be the IMC on the CPU failing to operate with 8 populated dimm slots, it may be worth looking into voltages, you may need a little more to get 8 dimms to operate. Again though, Tech Support is who you want to ask, they will be by far better equipped to help you (they have access to your exact board model to test with).

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

I would open a support ticker with ASRock Tech Support. Based on your description it sounds like incompatibility. It technically could be the IMC on the CPU failing to operate with 8 populated dimm slots, it may be worth looking into voltages, you may need a little more to get 8 dimms to operate. Again though, Tech Support is who you want to ask, they will be by far better equipped to help you (they have access to your exact board model to test with).

I emailed their tech support.  They told me to return the motherboard.

So I did and bought a new one (same Fatal1ty x399).  It has the exact same issue.

I've changed voltages and reduced timing down to 1866 and still it won't boot.  7 sticks = POST.  8 sticks = no post.   :(

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 4:18pm
I just want to know what RAM to use for 128GB and how to get it to work.  I'm buying stuff left and right and I just want it to work :(

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 5:11pm
Contact them again and direct them to this thread. You were likely told to RMA because one of the most common causes for issues like yours is a defective DIMM slot, with that ruled out they should be better able to assist you.

I have also sent you a PM

-------------

Posted By: datonyb
Date Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 5:56pm
" rel="nofollow - have you tried using some old tricks we learnt with the ryzen cpu and ram issues ?

after all ryzen is half a threadripper cpu

with ryzen systems we try tips like

get into bios (using less ram sticks)
change the dram volts to something more powerful eg 1.375volts or even 1.4 volts to test
find the SOC setting and increase this to 1.1volt (this is the actual voltage to the memory controller)

you can also try to see if your heading in correct direction and to make it easier to boot with ram issues
enter bios set xmp to 3000 and then leave ram subtings loose eg cl16/cl18
BUT
lower the actual ram speed manually down to 2133

this basically slows down the ram to much more stable timings

if you can get it to boot then with all 8 sticks gradually adjust settings back to what you require until it becomes unstable again and then you know whats to set it permanantly

-------------
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold

Posted By: wardog
Date Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 7:58pm
" rel="nofollow - re: CMK128GX4M8B3000C16
I must ask. Is this a 128GB(16GBx8) Kit, or two 64GB(16GBx4) Kits?

If indeed it is a 128GB Kit, check that ALL serial numbers are consecutive.

The rest here assumes all 8 sticks are consecutively numbered !  If not post back, then contact the reseller or Corsair themselves

Is this occurring before or after you set XMP?
Describe please the method you are using to set XMP, as If you just booted into the BIOS.

You don't say what GPU it is you have. One in particular drew(before a vBIOS update) an inordinate and out of spec power draw from the PCIe bus.

Please post what GPU and also try plugging in/powering the 6-pin GFX_12V1 at the lower rt corner.
Connecting GFX_12V1 would be all four MB power  connections: 4-pin(ATX12V2) , 8-pin(ATX12V1) , 24-pin(ATXPWR1) , and lastly 6-pin(GFX_12V1)

Pull all the power connections and look at the mating M and F parts that the connectors are round and inserted to their proper depth in the M ends. I've seen on occasion where one has backed out and did not make proper contact with the F pin.

Also look in the F connectors that the pins are centered. Seen this too where a pin was bent and not sliding into the M's round connector. This usually results in a connection that the M+F connection itself didn't allow for the connection securing clip on the M part to "snap' over and lock onto the F side.

Look at ALL power connections that you didn't inadvertently not get all the M-F connections properly inserted and now have two or more pins not getting inserted into their correct contact. ie: powering air

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 8:03pm
" rel="nofollow -
Originally posted by 128noGB 128noGB wrote:

Windows 8.1 will say there is 32GB of RAM usable and 96GB as "Hardware Reserved".

When 8.1(Really? 8.1?) states this, did you prior confirm in the BIOS that all eight sticks were correctly enumerated there?

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 8:04pm
" rel="nofollow -
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

When 8.1(Really? 8.1?) states this, did you prior confirm in the BIOS that all eight sticks were correctly enumerated there?

To clarify, 8.1 is NOT responsible for this behavior.

Posted By: MisterJ
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 12:18am

I just want to know what RAM to use for 128GB and how to get it to work.  I'm buying stuff left and right and I just want it to work :(

128noGB, I think until AMD/ASRock release up to date AGESA/BIOS code, memory will be a real problem in TR.  I am waiting on this memory:
https://www.gskill.com/en/press/view/g-skill-announces-new-ddr4-specifications-for-amd-ryzen%E2%84%A2-threadripper%E2%84%A2-processors" rel="nofollow - https://www.gskill.com/en/press/view/g-skill-announces-new-ddr4-specifications-for-amd-ryzen%E2%84%A2-threadripper%E2%84%A2-processors
I can't say for sure but I suspect it has been tested under an NDA and G.Skill is waiting for updated BIOS/AGESA to be available before making the memory available.  Please answer the question(s) about what your BIOS is reporting about your memory.  You can also take a screenshot in the BIOS using F12, have a FAT formatted USB stick plugged into your system.  Enjoy, John.

EDIT:  I assume you are aware that only W10 RS2 and above are officially supported.

-------------
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 2:34am

" rel="nofollow - re: CMK128GX4M8B3000C16
I must ask. Is this a 128GB(16GBx8) Kit, or two 64GB(16GBx4) Kits?

If indeed it is a 128GB Kit, check that ALL serial numbers are consecutive.

The rest here assumes all 8 sticks are consecutively numbered !  If not post back, then contact the reseller or Corsair themselves

Is this occurring before or after you set XMP?
Describe please the method you are using to set XMP, as If you just booted into the BIOS.

You don't say what GPU it is you have. One in particular drew(before a vBIOS update) an inordinate and out of spec power draw from the PCIe bus.

Please post what GPU and also try plugging in/powering the 6-pin GFX_12V1 at the lower rt corner.
Connecting GFX_12V1 would be all four MB power  connections: 4-pin(ATX12V2) , 8-pin(ATX12V1) , 24-pin(ATXPWR1) , and lastly 6-pin(GFX_12V1)

Pull all the power connections and look at the mating M and F parts that the connectors are round and inserted to their proper depth in the M ends. I've seen on occasion where one has backed out and did not make proper contact with the F pin.

Also look in the F connectors that the pins are centered. Seen this too where a pin was bent and not sliding into the M's round connector. This usually results in a connection that the M+F connection itself didn't allow for the connection securing clip on the M part to "snap' over and lock onto the F side.

Look at ALL power connections that you didn't inadvertently not get all the M-F connections properly inserted and now have two or more pins not getting inserted into their correct contact. ie: powering air

Thanks for the response!  I'll try and respond to every point:

---->  If indeed it is a 128GB Kit, check that ALL serial numbers are consecutive.

Just took them all out, yes all sticks are numbered in perfect order.  Also they say this on the RAM:

CMK128GX4M8B3000C16
DDR4 128GB(8x16GB)
3000Mhz
16-18-18-36
1.35v
ver 5.39

---->   Is this occurring before or after you set XMP?

I can't get into the BIOS to set XMP with 8 sticks.

Instead, I can 1 to 7 sticks, enter the BIOS, change settings, save and exit and power off, then plug in the 8th stick, then power on.

I'm performing this exactly as I type it:

-- Remove all RAM sticks
-- Populate A2 B2 with 1 stick each
-- Power on and enter BIOS
-- F9 and reset bios to default.  Reboot. Enter into bios
-- Change XMP profile to XMP 2.0 Profile 1
-- Save and exit
-- Populate all 8 RAM sticks, reboot
-- System will not boot/POST, hangs on:  Dr. Error   C0    before rebooting

---> You don't say what GPU it is you have. One in particular drew(before a vBIOS update) an inordinate and out of spec power draw from the PCIe bus.

EVGA Geforce 1060 SC.  It has a 6 pin connector.  I've also tried with a secondary GTX970.  Both are the same.  I also tried plugging in the PCIe power into the motherboard.  All 4 power are filled.

SIDE NOTE:  This motherboard has a completely exposed PCIi power connector wiring right next to the motherboard reset/power on switches.  A finger needs to simply be off by less 1 inch before some serious hard to the end-user could occur.  Unlike the entirety of the rest of the mobo, this one has completely exposed power receptacles.

--> Pull all the power connections and look at the mating M and F parts

Done and no change.   It should be noted that this is my SECOND motherboard (returned the prior x399 Fatal1ty per Asrock recommendation) as well as my SECOND PSU (other was brand new as well).  New PSU was purchased on the side chance the CPU 2+2/4+4 power wasn't correct.

It almost looks as if the bios says this:  "Hmm, 8 sticks of RAM?  No post.  I don't care what settings just don't POST".

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 2:38am
Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

" rel="nofollow - have you tried using some old tricks we learnt with the ryzen cpu and ram issues ?

after all ryzen is half a threadripper cpu

with ryzen systems we try tips like

get into bios (using less ram sticks)
change the dram volts to something more powerful eg 1.375volts or even 1.4 volts to test
find the SOC setting and increase this to 1.1volt (this is the actual voltage to the memory controller)

you can also try to see if your heading in correct direction and to make it easier to boot with ram issues
enter bios set xmp to 3000 and then leave ram subtings loose eg cl16/cl18
BUT
lower the actual ram speed manually down to 2133

this basically slows down the ram to much more stable timings

if you can get it to boot then with all 8 sticks gradually adjust settings back to what you require until it becomes unstable again and then you know whats to set it permanantly

Thanks for the response!

I have a question:    What is the SOC settings specifically?  As in, what does ASRock call it?  There are these 2 areas:

VDDCR_SOC Voltage
VDDCR_SOC_S5

There is also VDDCR_SOC Load-Line Calibration.   It defaults to "Level 1". 

Which one would be for changing the SOC?  I searched everywhere but cannot find which one is which. 

UPDATE:   I set XMP enabled, set RAM to 2133mhz, increased VDDCR_SOC_S5 to 1.1v, increased DRAM to 1.375V, changed CL to 18.    It booted 2 sticks, and 4 sticks (as expected).

But 8 sticks of RAM = no POST.

1-7 sticks of RAM = successful POST.   8 sticks = no post.

Posted By: Benja
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 4:30am
Hi

I've tha same issue, no post with 8 dimm x 16Gb.

My Conf
Asrock X399 Fatal1ty pro gaming
Ryzen Threadripper 1950x
Adata XPG DDR4 2400 CL 16-16-16  16GB * 8
Zotac Nvidia 730 GT
Samsung 960 Evo 1TB m2

I can only confirm:  1-7 sticks of RAM = successful POST.   8 sticks = no post

Maybe a buggy BIOS CryOuchShocked?

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 4:57am
Benja and 128noGB, please open a ticket with ASRock and AMD.  Seems like a common problem to me - may well be a BIOS/AGESA issue,  Enjoy, John.

-------------
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 5:36am
Opened 2 ticket to ASrock and AMD support...cross finger

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 6:57am
this might help some

the guy (chew) also posts up some very helpful dram settings and profiles

http://www.overclock.net/t/1638140/asrock-x399-taichi-fatality-overclocking-and-unofficial-support/20" rel="nofollow - http://www.overclock.net/t/1638140/asrock-x399-taichi-fatality-overclocking-and-unofficial-support/20

-------------

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 7:51am
Thanks, Benj.  Hopefully it will start some responses.  Enjoy, John.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 7:54am
" rel="nofollow -
Originally posted by MisterJ MisterJ wrote:

Benja and 128noGB, please open a ticket with ASRock and AMD.  Seems like a common problem to me - may well be a BIOS/AGESA issue,  Enjoy, John.

I contacted their support and they've been extremely unhelpful. 

Despite my saying that it won't POST with 8x DIMMs plugged in, they are asking for a BIOS screenshot with all 8 plugged in.   It is as if they aren't reading my ticket?

I don't know what else to do.  I've already returned 1 x399 Fatal1ty mobo.  Return this second x399 Fatal1ty and get another brand and chalk it up with ASRock simply not allowing 128GB?  Any ideas?

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 8:07am
Originally posted by Benja Benja wrote:

Hi

I've tha same issue, no post with 8 dimm x 16Gb.

My Conf
Asrock X399 Fatal1ty pro gaming
Ryzen Threadripper 1950x
Adata XPG DDR4 2400 CL 16-16-16  16GB * 8
Zotac Nvidia 730 GT
Samsung 960 Evo 1TB m2

I can only confirm:  1-7 sticks of RAM = successful POST.   8 sticks = no post

Maybe a buggy BIOS CryOuchShocked?

Thanks for posting that you're also getting this problem!!!!

I haven't heard of anybody yet getting 128GB to work on the Fatal1ty.

Hmm, so what things have you tried?

I notice we both are using M2 drives.  Is yours also NVMe?  Mine is.  I doubt that would be an issue, but perhaps remove it see if it changes anything? 

Can you list the things you've done to try and resolve this?  Nothing has worked for me so far. 

Let's get this fixed!! :)

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 8:59am
" rel="nofollow - Do either of you have SVM enabled?  Enabling SVM causes all my rear USB 3.0 ports to stop working.  Please do a F9 (Load UEFI Defaults) if you have  not done that a 100 times.  128noGB, did you open a ticket with ASRock or AMD?  I suggest you do both.  Enjoy, John.

-------------

Posted By: parsec
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 9:40am

Thanks for the response!  I'll try and respond to every point:

---->  If indeed it is a 128GB Kit, check that ALL serial numbers are consecutive.

Just took them all out, yes all sticks are numbered in perfect order.  Also they say this on the RAM:

CMK128GX4M8B3000C16
DDR4 128GB(8x16GB)
3000Mhz
16-18-18-36
1.35v
ver 5.39

---->   Is this occurring before or after you set XMP?

I can't get into the BIOS to set XMP with 8 sticks.

Instead, I can 1 to 7 sticks, enter the BIOS, change settings, save and exit and power off, then plug in the 8th stick, then power on.

I'm performing this exactly as I type it:

-- Remove all RAM sticks
-- Populate A2 B2 with 1 stick each
-- Power on and enter BIOS
-- F9 and reset bios to default.  Reboot. Enter into bios
-- Change XMP profile to XMP 2.0 Profile 1
-- Save and exit
-- Populate all 8 RAM sticks, reboot
-- System will not boot/POST, hangs on:  Dr. Error   C0    before rebooting

---> You don't say what GPU it is you have. One in particular drew(before a vBIOS update) an inordinate and out of spec power draw from the PCIe bus.

EVGA Geforce 1060 SC.  It has a 6 pin connector.  I've also tried with a secondary GTX970.  Both are the same.  I also tried plugging in the PCIe power into the motherboard.  All 4 power are filled.

SIDE NOTE:  This motherboard has a completely exposed PCIi power connector wiring right next to the motherboard reset/power on switches.  A finger needs to simply be off by less 1 inch before some serious hard to the end-user could occur.  Unlike the entirety of the rest of the mobo, this one has completely exposed power receptacles.

--> Pull all the power connections and look at the mating M and F parts

Done and no change.   It should be noted that this is my SECOND motherboard (returned the prior x399 Fatal1ty per Asrock recommendation) as well as my SECOND PSU (other was brand new as well).  New PSU was purchased on the side chance the CPU 2+2/4+4 power wasn't correct.

It almost looks as if the bios says this:  "Hmm, 8 sticks of RAM?  No post.  I don't care what settings just don't POST".

I don't know if this will help you, but I see a detail in your description of your procedure that if changed, possibly might help you. No guarantee... sorry to say. If you've done this already, never mind.

Insert all eight DIMMs into the board, if they are not already there. Clear the UEFI/CMOS with the jumper on the board. Yes I want you to try running your memory at stock, default speeds, NO XMP profile. Plus you should always clear the UEFI/CMOS when changing the memory configuration. Yes it worked for you without doing that in earlier testing with seven DIMMs, but with XMP enabled? Regardless, please try eight DIMMs without XMP, and a UEFI clear before starting the board with eight DIMMs installed.

With that much memory, you may not be able to run it all at 3000 without manual tweaking. Don't forget, most DDR4 memory like yours has the XMP profile tuned for Intel systems, not Threadripper or Ryzen. Your model of memory was first designed for Intel X99 board systems, the very first PC platform to use DDR4 memory. So while it may work with Threadripper, it was not designed for it.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/vengeance-lpx-128gb-8x16gb-ddr4-dram-3000mhz-c16-memory-kit-black-cmk128gx4m8b3000c16" rel="nofollow - http://www.corsair.com/en-us/vengeance-lpx-128gb-8x16gb-ddr4-dram-3000mhz-c16-memory-kit-black-cmk128gx4m8b3000c16

If you had seven DIMMs running above the stock speed, that was very good. But all it takes is one more to cause difficulty.

Next potential issue, common on Intel quad channel memory systems: POST completes and Windows boots fine. But not all of the memory is recognized. That will take voltage and memory settings tuning.

About the exposed power connector wiring, those look like the ground connections for that connector. While it looks scary, shorting the ground connections would do nothing.

Also, an M.2 SSD in the M.2 slot would not cause a problem with memory.

-------------
http://valid.x86.fr/48rujh" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 10:11am

" rel="nofollow - Do either of you have SVM enabled?  Enabling SVM causes all my rear USB 3.0 ports to stop working.  Please do a F9 (Load UEFI Defaults) if you have  not done that a 100 times.  128noGB, did you open a ticket with ASRock or AMD?  I suggest you do both.  Enjoy, John.

Hey there, I have no idea what SVM even is.  Could you tell me where to disable it in the BIOS and I'll give it a go (I couldn't find it in the manual).

I opened a ticket with ASRock and they rarely respond, and so far have told me to send BIOS screenshots with 8 dimms, despite me telling them it won't POST to bios at all with 8.

Thanks!

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 10:17am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

I don't know if this will help you, but I see a detail in your description of your procedure that if changed, possibly might help you. No guarantee... sorry to say. If you've done this already, never mind.

Insert all eight DIMMs into the board, if they are not already there. Clear the UEFI/CMOS with the jumper on the board. Yes I want you to try running your memory at stock, default speeds, NO XMP profile. Plus you should always clear the UEFI/CMOS when changing the memory configuration. Yes it worked for you without doing that in earlier testing with seven DIMMs, but with XMP enabled? Regardless, please try eight DIMMs without XMP, and a UEFI clear before starting the board with eight DIMMs installed.

With that much memory, you may not be able to run it all at 3000 without manual tweaking. Don't forget, most DDR4 memory like yours has the XMP profile tuned for Intel systems, not Threadripper or Ryzen. Your model of memory was first designed for Intel X99 board systems, the very first PC platform to use DDR4 memory. So while it may work with Threadripper, it was not designed for it.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/vengeance-lpx-128gb-8x16gb-ddr4-dram-3000mhz-c16-memory-kit-black-cmk128gx4m8b3000c16" rel="nofollow - http://www.corsair.com/en-us/vengeance-lpx-128gb-8x16gb-ddr4-dram-3000mhz-c16-memory-kit-black-cmk128gx4m8b3000c16

If you had seven DIMMs running above the stock speed, that was very good. But all it takes is one more to cause difficulty.

Next potential issue, common on Intel quad channel memory systems: POST completes and Windows boots fine. But not all of the memory is recognized. That will take voltage and memory settings tuning.

About the exposed power connector wiring, those look like the ground connections for that connector. While it looks scary, shorting the ground connections would do nothing.

Also, an M.2 SSD in the M.2 slot would not cause a problem with memory.

Hey there, firstly thanks for the response!

--->   Clear the UEFI/CMOS with the jumper on the board.

Could you confirm for me how to do this on the Fatal1ty x399 board?  I haven't found something that explicitly says what to do.

What I've done is this:  

1)  Turn off the PSU (the big PSU power switch)
2)  Press and hold the "Clear CMOS" button (button, not jumper) on the motherboard for 5 seconds
3)  Turn the PSU back on and boot

Is that correct way to clear the UEFI/CMOS?  I'm not even sure that is correctly clearing the UEFI/CMOS.  I can't figure out how to confirm it, since the system isn't POSTing correctly anyway.  The x399 Fatal1ty manual doesn't help on this as it doesn't specifically list exactly what to do.

I'm fine with saying "This memory won't work" (despite it being on ASRock's QVL).  I just want to know what memory would actually work.  I will go out and buy that memory in an absolute heartbeat.  I just need to know what to buy.  

The QVL told me this Corsair memory was the fastest to get, but it won't work, so what else should I buy that is the fastest?  Assume there is no budget constraint.

Many thanks again for the help!  If you tell me what to buy which is QVL for x399 ASRock then I'll buy it today (If Microcenter has it, I'll get it immediately and report back with the results on Saturday).

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 6:30pm
Hi,

SVM enabled (SVM settings is needed to enable virtualziation functions), my memory are at stock speed/voltage...XMP profile is set to auto and the only other setting is enable XMP.
Sorry but i don't want a workaround to have a stable configuration, i need a fix.

I build my workstation/configuration for a virtualization lab and not for gaming pourpose, 128Gb is a must for my pourpose...i don't expect an enterprise support from Asrock...but if I haven't a resonable respone from the support whithin tuesday, I'll change the motherboard for another brand.

@128noGB and @MisterJ if you consider to change MB pay attention to Gigabyte X399 Gaming 7, it have the same issue  http://forum.gigabyte.us/thread/1854/x399-gaming-128gb-ram-issue

Waiting an ASrock response!

PS. Yestrday i'm able to install VMware ESXi 6.5U1 on our buggy MB, OS see only 16Gb Cry( with 7 sticks installed, BIOS see correctly 7*16Gb)..10Gbit nic are not discovered (but 2 nic are enough to my lab)

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 6:41pm
" rel="nofollow - Is everyone here running BIOS rev 1.50 on their Fatal1ty X399 Pro Gaming MB's?

128noGB, do not upgrade yet. Please do as I ask in the PM and reply, letting me read your reply first. Do not flash to 1.50 if you have not yet.

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 6:45pm
I have 1.3

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 7:22pm

I have 1.3

Benja, if, and only IF, your system is STABLE on 4 sticks, I would highly suggest you upflash to 1.50. Using only 4 sticks to upflash with. NOT 8 installed.

1.50 addresses "some' 128GB (16GBx8) Kits. What ones I can't say as I'm not aware.

Please post back.

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 7:24pm

I have 1.3

Benja, if, and only IF, your system is STABLE on 4 sticks, I would highly suggest you upflash to 1.50. Using only 4 sticks to upflash with. NOT 8 installed.

1.50 addresses "some' 128GB (16GBx8) Kits. What ones I can't say as I'm not aware.

Please post back.

And only use the Instant Flash method.

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 9:09pm
from a quick read around on a google search

it would seem at present its not going to be cured by even using another brand of board

both gigabyte and asus seem to be having the same problem with x399
its just not liking 128gb/8 sticks

most users posts/feedback is cant get a boot with the 8 sticks, one or two guys have managed after many many hours of manual tweaking, to then be presented with windows not seeing all of the 128gb
phrases like '96gb system reserved'

i have literally found just one person stating they have had success
that was a gigabyte board and corsiar dominator platinum ram at 2400mhz

iif it was me guys

i would use the stable 4 sticks in quad (64gb) and stay with what you have for the later bios updates

(of course support tickets sent in with EXACT details of the ram kits and your board will help the bios/tech team to get the kits working)

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 11:26pm
With datonyb's research, I agree with his recommendation - 4 sticks till better BIOS/AGESA.  I would also recommend everyone affected hit AMD with a ticket.  Enjoy, John.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 11:34pm

Hi,

SVM enabled (SVM settings is needed to enable virtualziation functions), my memory are at stock speed/voltage...XMP profile is set to auto and the only other setting is enable XMP.
Sorry but i don't want a workaround to have a stable configuration, i need a fix.

I build my workstation/configuration for a virtualization lab and not for gaming pourpose, 128Gb is a must for my pourpose...i don't expect an enterprise support from Asrock...but if I haven't a resonable respone from the support whithin tuesday, I'll change the motherboard for another brand.

@128noGB and @MisterJ if you consider to change MB pay attention to Gigabyte X399 Gaming 7, it have the same issue  http://forum.gigabyte.us/thread/1854/x399-gaming-128gb-ram-issue

Waiting an ASrock response!

PS. Yestrday i'm able to install VMware ESXi 6.5U1 on our buggy MB, OS see only 16Gb Cry( with 7 sticks installed, BIOS see correctly 7*16Gb)..10Gbit nic are not discovered (but 2 nic are enough to my lab)

Ahh, I must keep SVM enabled then as it is required for what I'm using this for as it is virtualization as well.

4x RAM sticks work just fine also.  No hardware reserved.  This only occurs with 7x RAM sticks.

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 11:35pm

" rel="nofollow - Is everyone here running BIOS rev 1.50 on their Fatal1ty X399 Pro Gaming MB's?

128noGB, do not upgrade yet. Please do as I ask in the PM and reply, letting me read your reply first. Do not flash to 1.50 if you have not yet.

Just saw your PM and did exactly as you asked.

Also to note:  I've flashed to 1.5 already, and back down to 1.3 yesterday.  So it is 1.3 as of the past 24 hours (and for my test to you). 

Anxiously awaiting your reply!

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 11:37pm
" rel="nofollow -

I have 1.3

Please post back.

I'm doing 4 sticks stable (no hardware reserved in windows).

Does it change if you do a BIOS upgrade with 4 stable sticks VS 7 sticks plugged in)?   Note:  You can't do a BIOS upgrade with 8 sticks since the system won't POST.

Also, the error code is always:  C0      with 8 sticks. 

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 3:02am
" rel="nofollow -

I'm doing 4 sticks stable (no hardware reserved in windows).

Does it change if you do a BIOS upgrade with 4 stable sticks VS 7 sticks plugged in)?   Note:  You can't do a BIOS upgrade with 8 sticks since the system won't POST.

Also, the error code is always:  C0      with 8 sticks. 

ONLY flash a BIOS when the system is correctly functioning. 7 of 8 sticks recognized is NOT correctly functioning and might very well result in a bricked board if you were try flashing with 7 of 8 sticks seen/recognized. BIG NO NO.

I've replied to the latest PM with further instruction and an offer of Phone Assistance.

Posted By: TANWare
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 3:11am
This may not be your issue but where I have seen this behavior it was the command rate. Where 1 T works fine with the 4 sticks and even the 7 before attempting 2 quad channels. When 2 quad channels are used it probably needs the 2T timings.

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 3:13am
" rel="nofollow - wardog, I am running 1.50 and have for some time with no known problems.  Is there some reason  for not updating other than a not fully functioning system?  Is something wrong with 1.50?  I do not want to test it, but X399 boards have the Flash Back feature and should be able to recover from a failed update.  Enjoy, John.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 3:47am

" rel="nofollow - wardog, I am running 1.50 and have for some time with no known problems.  Is there some reason  for not updating other than a not fully functioning system?  Is something wrong with 1.50?  I do not want to test it, but X399 boards have the Flash Back feature and should be able to recover from a failed update.  Enjoy, John.

They pulled 1.60 due to a couple of repeatable issues.

It was explained to me that 1.50 is stable.

My recent posts are directed at 128noGB as we are also conversing via PM and I do not want him getting out in front of me in my diagnosing HIS 128GB(16GGx8) Kit issue.

Note: I am not a fan of upflashing a BIOS on a perfectly working system in the hopes of only flashing in the hopes a User will gain 100fps. If it's working, IMO, leave it alone.

If that 128GB Kit only works with 7 sticks installed and a recent BIOS addresses their/this 128GB issue, then by all means use Instant Flash to upflash.

MisterJ, clearer now how my recent posts relate?

Sorry for the confusion everyone.

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 4:43am
Very clear, thanks, wardog.  I agree not to update if all is OK.  I have not updated my 1800X to the latest for that very reason.  With TR having such trashy BIOS/AGESA, I will probably be more lenient.  I never flashed to 1.60, because I was leery even though I want to RAID my SSDs.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 6:11pm
With 4*16 GB all is stable, i can boot OS that correctly see 64Gb...I flash the BIOS with istant utility to 1.50...again with 4*16 and new BIOS all is stable, inserting the other 4 dimms i get the same error:

C0 = no post

no words

Benja

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 7:35pm
has anyone done as suggested in this thread

and tried to change the command rate to 2T (while using 4 sticks and then trying to boot the 8 )

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 7:54pm
" rel="nofollow - @ 128nogb

it seems we have one person now that has got a ram kit to boot on the asrock x399 using the gskill flarex 2133 ram

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6211&PN=4&title=x399-taichi-wont-boot-up

-------------

Posted By: threadrippera
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 10:19pm
I bought the same motherboard (asrock x399 pro gaming mobo) and I installed 7 ram sticks and it is saying 112GB found but only 16gb useable in windows 10 x64. 96gb is "hardware reserved". I tried all the "fixes" online and none of them worked. I still had the stupid hardware reserved/useable memory problems. My cpu cooler overhangs one of the ram slots, only allowing 7 ram slots. That is why I installed 7 ram sticks and I am having problems with the usable ram/hardware reserved. 

I ended up moving the fan on the cpu cooler up a bit, so now I can install ram in all 8 slots! I just ordered 1 more ram stick overnight, it will be here Tuesday. I will know Tuesday if the 8 ram sticks will work or not. I am using G.skill ripjaws 3200 ram. F4-3200C16D-32GVK

For what it's worth, I tried installing windows 8.1 and the same problem happened. Now I am back on Windows 10 64 bit.

64gb of ram works great if I have it in A1,B1,C1,D1 OR A2,B2,C2,D2 but I have "hardware reserved" memory problems if I put in 5, 6 or 7 ram sticks in multiple different positions. Right now I only have 4 sticks in A1,B1,C1,D1 and it has 64gb and 64gb useable. It's great with 64gb. I've got the other 3 sticks outside of the machine right now. 

I know how you guys feel. I spent a boatload of money on this stuff to have a fast computer for my business and it sucks to be having problems. I run virtual machines. I am thankful at least 64gb is running stable. I can get by with 64gb but would prefer 128gb. I will post back here with my results on Tuesday with the 8 ram sticks. *fingers crossed*.

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by TANWare TANWare wrote:

This may not be your issue but where I have seen this behavior it was the command rate. Where 1 T works fine with the 4 sticks and even the 7 before attempting 2 quad channels. When 2 quad channels are used it probably needs the 2T timings.

Hey there, just checked the BIOS, RAM is at 2T by default.

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 11:16pm

it seems we have one person now that has got a ram kit to boot on the asrock x399 using the gskill flarex 2133 ram

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6211&PN=4&title=x399-taichi-wont-boot-up

That sounds promising!  But I don't see any 128GB RAM kits for that type of RAM (Gskill FlareX).  Any idea where I could get this?  I'll buy it now if it'll help!

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by threadrippera threadrippera wrote:

I bought the same motherboard (asrock x399 pro gaming mobo) and I installed 7 ram sticks and it is saying 112GB found but only 16gb useable in windows 10 x64. 96gb is "hardware reserved". I tried all the "fixes" online and none of them worked. I still had the stupid hardware reserved/useable memory problems. My cpu cooler overhangs one of the ram slots, only allowing 7 ram slots. That is why I installed 7 ram sticks and I am having problems with the usable ram/hardware reserved. 

I ended up moving the fan on the cpu cooler up a bit, so now I can install ram in all 8 slots! I just ordered 1 more ram stick overnight, it will be here Tuesday. I will know Tuesday if the 8 ram sticks will work or not. I am using G.skill ripjaws 3200 ram. F4-3200C16D-32GVK

For what it's worth, I tried installing windows 8.1 and the same problem happened. Now I am back on Windows 10 64 bit.

64gb of ram works great if I have it in A1,B1,C1,D1 OR A2,B2,C2,D2 but I have "hardware reserved" memory problems if I put in 5, 6 or 7 ram sticks in multiple different positions. Right now I only have 4 sticks in A1,B1,C1,D1 and it has 64gb and 64gb useable. It's great with 64gb. I've got the other 3 sticks outside of the machine right now. 

I know how you guys feel. I spent a boatload of money on this stuff to have a fast computer for my business and it sucks to be having problems. I run virtual machines. I am thankful at least 64gb is running stable. I can get by with 64gb but would prefer 128gb. I will post back here with my results on Tuesday with the 8 ram sticks. *fingers crossed*.

The 7 sticks = hardware reserved is likely to be normal due to quad channel memory seeing a non-quad channel configuration.  At least, I think so.  6 sticks might work though.

That being said, DEFINITELY tell us if 8 sticks of memory works for you.  For us, it won't work.  This motherboard seems to fail to boot/post whenever 8 sticks populates it.

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 11:49pm
Honestly threadripper can use ddr4 @ 2666, i bought ram at 2400 for a budget constraint...thinking to use some memory at 2133 not seems a true goal...

I've tried to force my mems to 15-15-15-35 @ 2133...C0

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 12:05am
threadrippers, if you want help here, please post all your specifications and I suggest you place them in your signature so we can see them in each page.  In general, memory must be purchased in dual of quad kits not piece by piece.  The chances of your set up working are slim to none, in my opinion.  If you want 8 sticks of memory you should purchase an 8 stick kit.  Good luck and enjoy, John.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 1:25am
Really frustrated to see that 8*16Gb conf on threadripper platform is a true nightmare...googling to other X399 brands on Memory QVL I can see that a very few kit are supported.

advertise 128Gb support with 1% of kit supported not seems honest

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 1:34am

That sounds promising!  But I don't see any 128GB RAM kits for that type of RAM (Gskill FlareX).  Any idea where I could get this?  I'll buy it now if it'll help!

i am presuming he bought two kits of 4 sticks

i would also presume when installing them to select PAIRED sticks in each channel

eg kit 1 in a1/b1/a2/b2
and kit 2 in a3/b3/a4/b4

why not ask him via a pm ?
and contact retailer and see if they can look at serial numbers and find a pair of kits that are concurrant or close

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 6:02am

i would also presume when installing them to select PAIRED sticks in each channel

eg kit 1 in a1/b1/a2/b2
and kit 2 in a3/b3/a4/b4

and contact retailer and see if they can look at serial numbers and find a pair of kits that are concurrant or close

I have no problem buying different RAM.  I'm not financially limited in this build.  I just need to know what to buy.

I just went out and bought a x399 ASUS Prime motherboard.  Going to try it with the 128GB ram + 1950x 16 core CPU right now. 

Want to know the results when it's ready?

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 7:21am
Sure, 128noGB, we would appreciate that.  Looking forward to it.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 11:03am
" rel="nofollow -

Could you confirm for me how to do this on the Fatal1ty x399 board?  I haven't found something that explicitly says what to do.

What I've done is this:  

2)  Press and hold the "Clear CMOS" button (button, not jumper) on the motherboard for 5 seconds

Is that correct way to clear the UEFI/CMOS?  I'm not even sure that is correctly clearing the UEFI/CMOS.  I can't figure out how to confirm it, since the system isn't POSTing correctly anyway.  The x399 Fatal1ty manual doesn't help on this as it doesn't specifically list exactly what to do.

I'm fine with saying "This memory won't work" (despite it being on ASRock's QVL).  I just want to know what memory would actually work.  I will go out and buy that memory in an absolute heartbeat.  I just need to know what to buy.  

The QVL told me this Corsair memory was the fastest to get, but it won't work, so what else should I buy that is the fastest?  Assume there is no budget constraint.

Many thanks again for the help!  If you tell me what to buy which is QVL for x399 ASRock then I'll buy it today (If Microcenter has it, I'll get it immediately and report back with the results on Saturday).

Not sure where you are at now, but to continue...

The way you cleared the UEFI/BIOS with the button is fine, that seems to be the only way to do it with your board.

The point of my suggestion was to see if all eight DIMMs would POST at their stock/default speed. Given your description, you tried to start the PC with all eight DIMMs with the XMP profile enabled. That is more difficult to accomplish than running the memory at the stock, lower speed.

If you could get all the memory to POST at the stock speed, you could go on from there. But I don't know where you are at now with the ASRock board.

If I knew which memory to buy that would guarantee that eight 16GB DIMMs would work, I would tell you, but I don't know what that is. We still don't know, I assume, if all eight of your DIMMs work at their stock speed.

All you need to do is clear the UEFI/BIOS as you described, with all eight DIMMs in the board, and see if it will POST. Did you try that?

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 11:11am

eg kit 1 in a1/b1/a2/b2
and kit 2 in a3/b3/a4/b4

Don't you mean putting DIMMs from each kit into the SAME channels?

That would be one kit in A1 and A2, B1 and B2. Then the other kit in C1 and C2, D1 and D2.

You may be trying to describe what I have, but with a quad channel memory board, the channels are identified as A, B, C, and D.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 3:50pm
Hi 128noGB,

yes please post your results about x399 ASUS Prime motherboard.

I bought a MSI X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC and it arrive friday...I'll post the results soon.

Benja

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 7:02pm
" rel="nofollow - Hi Guys,

can anyone help me to understand how to read RAM QVL for the ASrock X399 Pro gaming?

https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/Fatal1ty%20X399%20Professional%20Gaming/index.asp#Memory

I'm Looking to Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 PC4-19200, 2.400 MHz, C14, Kit 128GB (8x 16GB) - Part number CMK128GX4M8A2400C14

On the Quad Channel column there is a "v", this mean that 4 dimms in quad channel conf are supported or 8 dimms in quad channel conf are supported?!

PS. today a new BIOS (1.70) is released but it seems that introduce new RAID nvme feature without any update to 128Gb issue....

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 1:18am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

" rel="nofollow -

What I've done is this:  

Not sure where you are at now, but to continue...

The way you cleared the UEFI/BIOS with the button is fine, that seems to be the only way to do it with your board.

The point of my suggestion was to see if all eight DIMMs would POST at their stock/default speed. Given your description, you tried to start the PC with all eight DIMMs with the XMP profile enabled. That is more difficult to accomplish than running the memory at the stock, lower speed.

If you could get all the memory to POST at the stock speed, you could go on from there. But I don't know where you are at now with the ASRock board.

If I knew which memory to buy that would guarantee that eight 16GB DIMMs would work, I would tell you, but I don't know what that is. We still don't know, I assume, if all eight of your DIMMs work at their stock speed.

All you need to do is clear the UEFI/BIOS as you described, with all eight DIMMs in the board, and see if it will POST. Did you try that?

Yes I have tried inserting the 8x 16GB DIMMs and letting the default stock speeds work.  That is the first way to test this in the first place.

128GB does not work with stock speeds.  128GB does not work with 1.3 or 1.5 or 1.7 BIOS. 

128GB does not work setting speeds to any interval, even 1866mhz, or regardless of any timings. 

128GB does not work with any voltage tweak, DIMM timing, anything.  I've tried it all.

I've replaced the ASRock x399 motherboard with a brand new one.

I've replaced PSU with a brand new one.  I've replaced 128GB RAM with brand new one.  I've replaced the AMD 1950x CPU with a brand new one. I've replaced the GPU with a brand new one. 

Nothing.   This motherboard simply does not work with 128GB of QVL RAM.  Period.

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 1:18am

" rel="nofollow - Hi Guys,

can anyone help me to understand how to read RAM QVL for the ASrock X399 Pro gaming?

https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/Fatal1ty%20X399%20Professional%20Gaming/index.asp#Memory

I'm Looking to Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 PC4-19200, 2.400 MHz, C14, Kit 128GB (8x 16GB) - Part number CMK128GX4M8A2400C14

On the Quad Channel column there is a "v", this mean that 4 dimms in quad channel conf are supported or 8 dimms in quad channel conf are supported?!

PS. today a new BIOS (1.70) is released but it seems that introduce new RAID nvme feature without any update to 128Gb issue....

You'll want to read the thread you posted in first.  128GB of RAM will not work with this motherboard.  At this point we've exhausted all options and it simply won't work.

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 1:27am

UPDATE:

After 9 emails to ASRock support, their response to me is this:

Quote We did tried with G.SKill Ripjaws 8 sticks memory module without no issue. Please contact the seller have m/b exchange first.

This is after I told them I already replaced the motherboard with a brand new one and also after I told them other people have this issue + linked them this thread. 

At this point, ASRock support seems to have casted this issued aside without acknowledging it even exists.  If they don't acknowledge the issue then it is doubtful it'll be fixed.

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 3:22am
" rel="nofollow - 128noGB:
Quote without no issue

Yes, we have no bananas!  What the heck does this mean?  Strictly it means "yes, we had issues".
I opened the 1.70 BIOS with a hex editor and find it still has 1.0.0.3 AGESA.  I really think until AMD/ASRock get the game up, we all will have memory problems with TR.
Are you going to try these 2xquad kits used by sdlashley?:
Quote G.SKILL Flare X Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000) AMD X370 / B350 / A320 Memory (Desktop Memory) Model F4-2133C15Q-64GFXR
Enjoy, John.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 3:49am
" rel="nofollow - Super lol "without no issue" are they kidding?!? 5 people with same memory problems and only a partial resolution?

A true quality unassurance program! When I bought the MB there isn't on the specification "you need to buy only G.SKill Ripjaws 8 or G.SKILL Flare X"

Guys please, reopen all together a ticket

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 9:48am

UPDATE:

I got another email from ASRock telling me to get a refund from Newegg.

Newegg said they don't offer refunds but they are making an exception because I sent proof of ASRock saying they don't support it.

I have sent my AMD Threadripper 1950x + 128GB Corsair RAM + 2x of these ASRock motherboards all back to Newegg for a 100% refund.

I spent close to $6000 for this system and I really wanted to support AMD.  This was a test build system from which I was building 6 more systems of like caliber.

I'm going to go the Intel i7 7980XE route (18 core) instead and use the leftover parts from my would-be AMD Threadripper 1950x build.

I tried to support AMD with a giant build (and likely 6 more).  I really did.  But looks like I am going back to the Blue side.

Posted By: TooQik
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 11:46am
" rel="nofollow -

UPDATE:

I got another email from ASRock telling me to get a refund from Newegg.

Newegg said they don't offer refunds but they are making an exception because I sent proof of ASRock saying they don't support it.

I have sent my AMD Threadripper 1950x + 128GB Corsair RAM + 2x of these ASRock motherboards all back to Newegg for a 100% refund.

I spent close to $6000 for this system and I really wanted to support AMD.  This was a test build system from which I was building 6 more systems of like caliber.

I'm going to go the Intel i7 7980XE route (18 core) instead and use the leftover parts from my would-be AMD Threadripper 1950x build.

I tried to support AMD with a giant build (and likely 6 more).  I really did.  But looks like I am going back to the Blue side.

Does this mean than the ASUS motherboard you purchased also failed to work with 128 GB installed also?

If so, this would point to an issue with the current Threadripper platform rather than a specific motherboard issue, which is unfortunate but not entirely unexpected given how young the platform is.

Posted By: LurkerLito
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 1:06pm
Dam sorry to hear their solution was to return the board for a refund. I hope this gets fixed because 64GB is enough for my needs but I was thinking of buying another 4 sticks if DDR4 prices ever dropped back to the old prices.

-------------
AMD 1950x; ASRock X399 Fatal1ty V2.00; 64GB(4x16GB) G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3200 CL14 (running 3066); EVGA 1080Ti SC2 Hybrid; Enermax TR4 360 AIO

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 12:01am
TooQik, As I have said several times, the latest ASRock BIOS contains AGESA 1.0.0.3, a couple of vendors have 1.0.0.3a which probably does not help much.  I think - my opinion! - that until AMD/ASRock release a BIOS/AGESA that supports at least the same memory function (1.0.0.6b) as the initial Ryzen chips, we will be faced with these problems.  Memory vendors are declining to ship their best memory because they know the current TR will not support their memory.  Enjoy, John.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 6:22am
I tried the 8 ripjaws ram sticks today and my computer will not post at all. I hope they fix this soon.

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 6:31am
" rel="nofollow - Threadripper can you please post exactly the model (+CL+Mhz) and part number of your kit and open a ticket to ASrock support? maybe on the 100 ticket they can understand something...

-------------
16Gb*8 (8 DIMM NOT WORKING) ADATA XPG 2400 Mhz AX4U2400316G16-SRZ - Threadripper 1950x - ASRock Fatal1ty X399 Pro Gaming (8 DIMM NOT WORKING) BIOS 1.50 - Samsung 960 EVO 1Tb M2 NVMe

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 6:46am
Today I've open a thread also on AMD forum....

https://community.amd.com/thread/220821" rel="nofollow - https://community.amd.com/thread/220821

-------------
16Gb*8 (8 DIMM NOT WORKING) ADATA XPG 2400 Mhz AX4U2400316G16-SRZ - Threadripper 1950x - ASRock Fatal1ty X399 Pro Gaming (8 DIMM NOT WORKING) BIOS 1.50 - Samsung 960 EVO 1Tb M2 NVMe

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 6:59am
The model of my ram is G.skill ripjaws 3200 F4-3200C16S-16GVK

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 9:41pm
I just sent a support ticket to AS ROCK that said: Hi, I am trying to use 8 (16gb) memory sticks on my x399 fatal1ty motherboard and it will not POST at all. My computer will not go into the BIOS at all with the 8 sticks of memory. All of the memory works fine and all of the memory slots work fine. The computer will post with 1-7 ram sticks inserted in any position, but with 8 ram sticks it will not POST or go into the BIOS at all. Please fix this with a BIOS update. Thank you

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 9:46pm
" rel="nofollow - I have a question for you smart people on here. So I am using 4 out of 8 ram sticks right now and have 64gb of ram. Should I return my other 4 ram sticks and get a $500 refund or should I keep the 4 extra and wait for a BIOS update? Will they eventually fix this with a BIOS update???

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 1:27am

" rel="nofollow - I have a question for you smart people on here. So I am using 4 out of 8 ram sticks right now and have 64gb of ram. Should I return my other 4 ram sticks and get a $500 refund or should I keep the 4 extra and wait for a BIOS update? Will they eventually fix this with a BIOS update???

i am quite sure it will get fixed
when is another question

remember we have one guy who has got his working with 2133 flarex ram,there is a gigabyte user that got his working with dominator platinum ram

so its not a fixed hardware fault,its a buggy immature bios issue

now as to whether you should return your ram /

how the devil can we answer that question LOL
only you know if you actually require 128gb ram or if 64gb in quad channel will smash your expected computing tasks out or not

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 2:01am
I will keep the ram I guess. I got a pretty good deal on it. 64GB is more then enough for me and I am pretty happy I even got 64GB working, but id love to have 128gb just for the heck of it. I am not a gamer and do not overclock. I run virtual machines for my business. The other 4 sticks are just sitting in my desk waiting for a BIOS update. Come on AsRock and AMD!

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 2:08am
i would expect similar to ryzen

that you can get the 4 sticks/quad channel ram to work at a faster speed than 8 sticks quad channel anyway

depending on the workload this may work better for some people

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 3:16am
This seems to be a problem across multiple/all of the x399 motherboards. I am hoping AMD or ASROCK will fix this soon.

Posted By: LurkerLito
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 4:45am
" rel="nofollow - This video is an excellent guide on overclocking memory on Ryzen chipsets from AMD.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZgpHTaQ10k

I am guessing it's not going to help the problem here because you can't even get into the bios with 8 sticks of ram installed at stock settings, but maybe it'll help others out.

-------------
AMD 1950x; ASRock X399 Fatal1ty V2.00; 64GB(4x16GB) G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3200 CL14 (running 3066); EVGA 1080Ti SC2 Hybrid; Enermax TR4 360 AIO

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 7:47pm
Dear Benja,

Thanks for contacting ASRock.

We would like to share our test result with you. Testing on X399 Taichi with BIOS P1.50, CPU Threadripper 1950X.

We tested with two Corsair memory module, which are 128GB (16GB x8) and 8 DIMMs a kit.

Models:

1. CMR128GX4M8C3000C16 (16GB x8)

2. CMK128GX4M8Z2933C16 (16GB x8)

Both of them could work at DDR4-2933 (128GB) after setting XMP profile. We also ran Memtest for testing its stability.

And they passed for around 10 minutes in Memtest. Please see our test result as below.

Please refer to our test result in the attached file.

As a result, we would like to provide you some suggestions.

1. Make sure each DIMM slot work and each memory is functional.

2. If possible, we would recommend you to install the same memory module which is 8 DIMMs a kit.

This could guarantee all module are compatible and have the same quality.

3. If possible, please change another CPU 1950X for testing because memory controller is built in CPU.

4. Re-flash BIOS P1.50 for trying. Make sure the system load BIOS default before updating.

Link: http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/BIOS/TR4/X399%20Taichi%281.50%29ROM.zip" rel="nofollow - http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/BIOS/TR4/X399%20Taichi(1.50)ROM.zip

And update to latest BIOS P1.70 to try.

Link: http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/BIOS/TR4/X399%20Professional%20Gaming%281.70%29ROM.zip" rel="nofollow - http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/BIOS/TR4/X399%20Professional%20Gaming(1.70)ROM.zip

Note:
    *If update the BIOS and build a new RAID, it is necessary to install new driver V9.00.00.88
    *If RAID was built with old BIOS, it is necessary to back up the data and rebuild RAID with new BIOS and driver

Thank you!

Have a great day,
ASRock TSD

I've not a x399 Taichi board!!! OMG !!!!!!!

RAM tested by ASrock are not on QVL, this thread was open by 128noGB user that have
CMK128GX4M8B3000C16 8*16Gb kit in QVL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Less RAM and more brain

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 2:23am
Everyone that is having this problem, please contact AS ROCK and AMD. If enough people complain about it, then they will fix it faster.

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 5:40pm
" rel="nofollow - Finally my conf working.

I've bought 2 new kits (16Gb*4*2):

G.SKILL Flare X

DDR4 2133 Mhz - 15-15-15-36 1.2V

F4-2133C15Q-64GFX

https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B06XHL3NWG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I follow indication on Taichi thread

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6211&PN=1&title=x399-taichi-wont-boot-up

Benja

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 6:09pm
thanks for coming back to update the thread benja

it does and will continue to help people Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 8:10am
" rel="nofollow - Benja mentioned on the AMD forums that he has a new bios which has not been released yet. Benja, can you please send that to me? My email is signatureandrew38@gmail.com

Thanks so much!!

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 4:00pm
WOW, Benja just sent me the new BIOS v1.71 and it works PERFECTLY with my 128gb of ram. Windows is also showing 128gb useable as well. Thank you so much Benja, it is working absolutely perfectly. I am so happy right now. Thank you AS ROCK and AMD! 128gb is so awesome!

Posted By: JUANNY
Date Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 8:33pm
" rel="nofollow -

WOW, Benja just sent me the new BIOS v1.71 and it works PERFECTLY with my 128gb of ram. Windows is also showing 128gb useable as well. Thank you so much Benja, it is working absolutely perfectly. I am so happy right now. Thank you AS ROCK and AMD! 128gb is so awesome!

Take it that it is a beta bios not provided by Asrock? Did AMD provide it?

-------------
Asrock X399 Fatality Pro Gaming Bios 2.0 Threadripper 1950X Cpu cooler Enermax 360 mm TR4 GSkill 64 GB F4-2933C14Q-64GFX Windows 10 X64 PRO Version 1709 Build 16299.19 2X EVGA 1080 TI in SLI mode

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 10:59pm
JUANNY, it has always been my understanding that AMD provided AGSEA and the MB Vendors provided the BIOS.  Enjoy, John.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 12:56am

can you update this post to state exactly what brand and model of ram sticks please

so we can help others in the future

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 5:54am
This BIOS version 1.71 has not been released to the public yet. It must be a BETA BIOS but it is working absolutely PERFECTLY. If anyone wants it let me know, just send me your email address and I will send it to you.

My ram is g.skill ripjaws 3200 F4-3200C16D-32GVK

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 5:55am

This BIOS version 1.71 has not been released to the public yet. It must be a BETA BIOS but it is working absolutely PERFECTLY. If anyone wants it let me know, just send me your email address and I will send it to you.

My ram is g.skill ripjaws 3200 F4-3200C16D-32GVK

Thanks for the update, enjoy your beastly system Cool

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 6:00am
Thanks!! Ya I am stoked to have a 1950x with 128gb of ram. :)

Posted By: Nacka67
Date Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 10:58pm
" rel="nofollow - threadrippera, could you send me that 1.71 bios too? :-)

Regards
Nacka67

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 1:36pm
Sure, send me an email at signatureandrew38@gmail.com

I just sent this BIOS out to 2 people.

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 10:58pm
Users should refrain from posting their e-mail in an open forum.  I suggest using Private Massages for this.  Just click on 0 New Messages above.  Enjoy, John.

-------------

Posted By: TraxXavier
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 10:50pm
" rel="nofollow - Are the 128 GB ram issues resolved in the most recent 1.80 bios revision?

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net