Forum Description: Question about ASRock Intel Motherboards
URL: https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=624
Printed Date: 01 May 2024 at 12:29am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Win 7 USB Patcher
Posted By: Lvcoyote
Subject: Win 7 USB Patcher
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 8:14am
I'm trying to use the Win 7 USB Patcher utility to create a Windows 7 installation. I understand the process just fine, but the problem is the darn utility wont launch. I've tried it on a couple different computers using Win 8.1 and Win 7 with the same launch error.

Hopefully this doesn't mean I have to be using ASRock Z170 motherboard to run this program, because the whole point is I cant get Win 7 installed with out this installer slipstreaming the drivers for me.
http://www.asrock.com/microsite/Win7Install/index.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.asrock.com/microsite/Win7Install/index.html

Thanks!

Replies:
Posted By: parsec
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 10:00am
What are you using for the Win 7 installation media, an optical disk or a USB flash drive and ISO file?

-------------
http://valid.x86.fr/48rujh" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 10:09am
Click the link I provided, then choose 100 series.  Then choose the option farthest to the right called "With a USB drive and any kind or keyboard" 

That's the method I'm trying to accomplish. But like I said, if the utility won't launch I can't do anything.
Thanks!

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 2:00pm
Yes, I needed to know which method you were using out of the three.

I just downloaded the Windows 7 USB Patcher ver:1.0.4 on my X99 board, and ran it. It started just fine for me. I don't have a Win 7 USB installation drive connected to the PC for more testing.

At what point is it failing and displaying that message?

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 10:25pm
It displays that message right when when I try to launch the program.

Posted By: Bastelbogen
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 6:49am
Originally posted by Lvcoyote Lvcoyote wrote:

It displays that message right when when I try to launch the program.

Same problem here (Win7/64).

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 7:01am
Only thing I can think of is you need to use it on a system with an ASRock motherboard? If that's the case, it wont make a new customer to ASRock very happy. Anyway, I got it done finally using another manufacturer's technique. 

It would be nice if the ASRock tool worked though, it looks like a lot easier process than what I ended up having to do.

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 12:47pm
I have no way to verify if the PC being used with this utility must have an ASRock board in it.

If it can't be used with other boards, that is a limitation that is not stated in the instructions, as you know.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 1:08pm
I emailed tech support a few days ago, but no response from them. Would be interesting to know the answer though. Perhaps you know someone within ASRock who can shed some light on the issue.
Thanks parsec!

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

I have no way to verify if the PC being used with this utility must have an ASRock board in it.

So you don't have any PC with a Non-ASRock board in it?

Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

If it can't be used with other boards, that is a limitation that is not stated in the instructions, as you know.

Limitation? The tool would be completely useless, as you had to buy two ASRock boards to install Windows on one of them.

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 4:52pm
Just tried it with the new version 1.0.5...

Same problem.

Posted By: jhui
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 10:19am
Got the same error.  Trying to run v1.0.5 on Windows 7 x64.  Tried compatibility mode with no luck.  Please fix asap.  I'm trying to create an install disk so I can install on the brand new Beebox.

Posted By: jhui
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 2:08am
I have a system with ASRock motherboard, and sure enough, this tool comes up fine there.....  It seems that this tool requires ASRock motherboard to run, which doesn't seem to be fair for people who just bought an ASRock system or motherboard (ex. I just bought a Beebox).

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 2:43am
That's pretty much what I figured was happening from the beginning. Not a good introduction for people trying an ASRock board for the first time.

Posted By: ASRock_TSD
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 7:44pm
Dear All,

Greetings, This is ASRock Technical Supports Department.
We have unlock the Windows 7 USB patcher for all vendor's motherboard.
Please download the USB patcher ver 1.0.6 as the link: http://www.asrock.com/microsite/Win7Install/dl.asp 

You can refer the SOP or the video to finish the patch.
http://www.asrock.com/microsite/Win7Install/ 

Sorry for the inconvenience before.

If any, please feel free to let us know!

Kindest Regards,
ASRock TSD

Posted By: sean123456
Date Posted: 22 Aug 2015 at 2:07am
How long does the image creation take? Been running for almost an hour.....

Posted By: brno
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2015 at 12:07am
Hello from bored IT fan :-) brno, czech rep.

THAT ALL DIDNT WORK FOR ME. i have got an MB: asrock B150M-HDV and i have to install win 7 64bit Profesional. But for several times, my instalation end in a half or run without drivers for usb (patch didnt work)... but in the end it was succesfull...
so check my story bro :-)

first i need to change bios option, because of EHCI ...
BIOS-ADVANCED-USB Emulation PS/2

second - i must run WIN 7 USB Patcher (v2.0.4) BUT in MODE for Vista SP2 and with admin rights
(on win7hp64bit) after that my patched instalation was succesfull :-)

thats all, hope it could help for another one ... ;-)

namasté

Posted By: VaderSS
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2015 at 5:39pm
I just tried the latest patcher with a Z170M Extreme4.  It let me install and got me to the part where I'm supposed to name the computer, but that's where the USB stops working and I'm stuck now.

I'm also unable to get into the bios because I'm using a 720P TV via HDMI and have no monitor.  I just get a black screen, which is apparently due to the lower resolution screen than what the UEFI is expecting.

Posted By: TimH
Date Posted: 07 Nov 2015 at 9:41am
I'm in the process of trying to get Win7 loaded on a Asrock z170 board as well. Mine is the Formula OC.

I too am having difficulties. I have been trying for a week. I   gave up and tried another route thinking I could run Win7 in a Hyper V window and have MediaCenter showing Cable TV however, Media Center will not work in a Hyper V window. Oh well

What I would suggest to you is to make sure that you have No extraneous hardware attached. No bluetooth dongles no Wireless USB mouses or keyboards no additional Video cards. Just the motherboard, the onboard IGPU and the USB stick no Optical DVD or CD or Bluray drive etc. Eliminate everything possible and try to install.

Posted By: tor11
Date Posted: 07 Nov 2015 at 10:58pm
I just wanted to say, that I have tried to use Win7 patcher (ver:2.0.5) several times and it seemingly finished the job fine, but my mouse and keyboard never worked anyway.

I don't know if it was wrong drivers used by a tool or something else, but when I did manual patching of the files, like described for example here http://codeabitwiser.com/2014/03/how-to-install-windows-7-with-only-usb-3-0-ports/ I was able to boot and install Win7 with USB3 support just fine.

Intel USB 3.0 drivers I used were downloaded from ASRock's page for my mainboard.

Date Posted: 08 Nov 2015 at 11:05am
I wound up getting Windows 7 installed by using a PS2 keyboard I bought used from a computer shop.  Once I got into windows I was able to get the driver disk included with the motherboard to install the drivers and am now up and running.

I tried following the codeabitwiser.com instructions and had the same exact problem as with the Asrock patcher.  I also tried another a patcher from another motherboard supplier and that failed in the same way as well.  I formatted the drive each time to get a clean install.

I do have an issue where several pieces of hardware are showing up with issues in the device manager, there seem to be no problems.

I'm still not able to get into the UEFI because I don't have a monitor to plug the computer into.  I've ordered a DVI-D to VGA converter so I can see if the TV will show the bios via VGA.  If that doesn't work, I will have to buy a monitor just for that purpose.  

Posted By: TimH
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 1:36am
EVGA just released a BIOS with USB support for Win7 installations.

Hopefully ASROCK will do the same soon. The Patcher doesn't seem to be working for many people.

Date Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 11:33am
There is a PS/2 Emulator in the ASRock BIOS that may have gotten me through the Windows 7 setup, but since I was unable to get into the BIOS until today, I have no idea if that would have solved the problem.

A GoFanco active DVI-D to VGA converter allowed me to connect to a TV that has a VGA port so I was able to get into the BIOS.   Skylake also removes VGA support, on top of USB 2.0

I find it ironic that OS/2 is still supported, as it is much older tech,

Posted By: SonOfMore
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 8:23am
I've successfully created the USB Windows 7 media for my OC Formula z170 board with my Samsung 950 Pro. When I go to install though, it tells me that...

My second issue I've been having is that I have a legitimate copy of Windows 7 64 bit Pro OEM edition. I used the Windows 7 patcher program provided by ASRock to create an USB stick install of Windows 7 for a Series 100 chipset. Whenever I've tried to install via that stick, the following error message pops up once the install starts: "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing".

I've tried switching USB ports as recommended by Microsoft's support community, but that didn't resolve the issue. I've been using the USB 2.0 to insert the thumb drive. Is there any way to install and activate Windows 7 by overcoming this issue? I've reformatted the USB drive and repatched the image again to the USB stick using the latest patcher version.

I have nothing else connected to my computer in the way of DVD/CD ROM drives.

ASRock tech support responded to my email with this:

For the Windows 7, The Samsung 950 Pro required UEFI mode Windows installation due to this drive does not have POST firmware.

After create Windows 7 installation media for Intel 100 series  (Windows 7 USB Patcher).

Please follow the steps below.

To Install UEFI mode for Windows 7/8/8.1/10

1.      Press F11 repeatedly when system is started to bring boot menu (see below image for sample).

2.      Choose the drive ?œUEFI: your Windows installation drive??to boot (below image is USB drive for sample actual may be ODD drive).

3.      Follow the Windows installation.

The problem is, when I hit F11 when the computer first starts, it just brings me to the Windows install prompt if the USB media stick is inserted, or if it isn't inserted, it just goes to the UEFI. It never actually loads the F11 boot menu.

Posted By: Plockets
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2016 at 12:13am
Has anyone ever gotten the PoS ASRock Win7 USB patcher program to work on a non ASRock motherboard? I just tried to use v2.0.9 on my Biostar board that I am trying to upgrade, and the first thing that happened was I got 4 consecutive "Drive Not Ready" popups for Drive A: (of course I don't have a drive A:, who the hell has had a drive A: since nearly 20 years ago?), with "Cancel" "Try Again" and "Continue" options before the program even launched.

After it finally launches, the program didn't even present the option to include any other drivers, but only to create an exact copy of a selected Windows 7 install into an ISO in another location. You know, if I wanted to copy my installation ISO to another location, I didn't need to waste 15 minutes of my life using this crappy program to do it, Windows has had drag and copy functionality since before the '90s.

Posted By: NewGuyInTown
Date Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by Plockets Plockets wrote:

Has anyone ever gotten the PoS ASRock Win7 USB patcher program to work on a non ASRock motherboard?

I've gotten the patcher program to run, but when I go to install Windows 7 on my new build, I still get the "cannot find drivers" error. What makes it even more confusing is that the guide video provided by ASRock seems to be using a different version of the program than the one on https://www.asrock.com/microsite/Win7Install/index.html" rel="nofollow - this page .

I've tried with ASRock's utility, and I've tried with the official Intel utility. Neither work at all. I still get the same "cannot find drivers" error when I try to install Windows on my new build. Has anyone at all managed to successfully install Windows 7 on a Z170 motherboard without using an optical drive? If so, please share the method you used.

Posted By: ucsmfu
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 2:59am
" rel="nofollow - I am having the same problem.

Have u solved urs ?

I still can't install Windows 7 on Asrock Taichi mobo with ryzen 7

Posted By: tor11
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 2:22am
Perhaps tool is (still) broken.

I was able to solve it the other way as I said on the second page of this topic.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net